Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Flayer posted:

Jack Walker and Blackburn is an example of that, Roman Abramovich is not. A local supporter having a few extra million is worlds away from a billionaire oligarch with global business ties being allowed to obliterate the culture of a club and ushered in this era where more and more clubs are owned by some global magnate or political entity. I grew up in north London in an area where everyone supported Arsenal and the club and it's culture seeped through the entire community. That culture is being slowly destroyed and eroded to create "Arsenal Franchise" who will play home games in Singapore or whatever and are designed to appeal to a nebulous customer from somewhere on the opposite side of the globe. Success will be measured purely on a spreadsheet and the local community that nurtured the club will become utterly irrelevant and will die out. This destruction of the local community happens to every club that gets swept up in the travesty of international ownership. This Superleague is just a symptom of the disease and the inevitable result of global interests being allowed to own and run football clubs and that really started in England with the purchase of Chelsea by Abramovich.

In good faith, what aspects of culture are you referring to? I can think of a couple, like the packed pubs beforehand and the walk to the ground, but I haven't been to a game for a few years now. Genuinely curious what you have to say about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

The DPRK posted:

In good faith, what aspects of culture are you referring to? I can think of a couple, like the packed pubs beforehand and the walk to the ground, but I haven't been to a game for a few years now. Genuinely curious what you have to say about this.

"Culture" is probably not quite the right way to describe it but I suspect what he's getting at is the feeling that everyone in the local area has a shared experience around matchdays, that sort of thing. As it becomes more about the money than the club, that feeling of belonging to a social endeavour gets replaced by what is essentially just brand loyalty.

Vando fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 20, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I would very much like to know what America did to deserve James loving Corden

It seems like he's everywhere too

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

webmeister posted:

they're absolutely going to make even more money by holding the games themselves in beijing and new york and melbourne and wherever

that's also the workaround for any visa issues (which are going to be fairly minimal anyway, even with brexit it wouldn't apply to EU nationals)

you might not have a right to work in the uk, but a uk company (or realistically a local subsidiary thereof) can pay you as a foreign national to do work in dubai or luxembourg or wherever else you can slam a pitch down, and there's not a great deal of recourse there

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kick them all out. No concessions, no mercy. Domestic football will be fine without them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

I would very much like to know what America did to deserve

I mean, the list is quite long.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheRat posted:

I mean, the list is quite long.
It seems like an extra-special punishment tho

I've been accidentally subjected to that fucker rapping

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Don't worrt, Brexit and Boris Johnson are going to stop this lads, about the only benefit of either.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

It seems like an extra-special punishment tho

I've been accidentally subjected to that fucker rapping

Oh he is just the second course after Piers Morgan. We have got rid of our most ginger royal to them as well. Special relationship indeed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

still lolling that it happening this season makes it look like liverpool Spurs chelsea and arsenal are all just real mad at leicester and West Ham having the loving nerve to win more games than their betters

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pep is a bald fraud but he's said more against the super league idea than Klopp did.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

err posted:

There is no going back. This has been planned for awhile, I'm sure these clubs and ESL have contingency plans in place to deal with negative fallout.

It's been planned for a while but that doesn't mean they have contingency plans. So far it seems like the clubs are legitimately surprised by the extent of the backlash and some of the non-ringleaders are shocked that the ringleaders weren't more prepared for this and didn't even have basic poo poo like a consistent media strategy sorted out before making the announcement. It's an ad hoc shambles from top to bottom, which is exactly what you should expect from a bunch of greedy billionaires biting JP Morgan's hand off as a way to get out of the unsustainable debt they've wracked up by only ever thinking three months ahead for the last two decades.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

sassassin posted:

Kick them all out. No concessions, no mercy. Domestic football will be fine without them.

Actually, since the Prem's next package of TV rights are being negotiated at the moment, domestic football will be absolutely hosed without the draw of the Fat 6 in the league. However they have no choice but to kick them out, since they won't be playing in the same competition for the same prize so it would turn the league into a joke to let them stay.

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011

The DPRK posted:

Speaking as a geordie - my mum probably couldn't name a current Newcastle player, let alone want to watch a game or something, but has no problem talking to e.g. the taxi driver, random person in supermarket queue about our chances of relegation given Fulham drew at the weekend. She cares about Newcastle the city, and by extension how the football club does, and quite a lot of people are like this in that the actual football part of it is irrelevant. So the team feels like a constant part of everyday life. Obvs helps that there's really only one team in the city

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

sassassin posted:

Pep is a bald fraud but he's said more against the super league idea than Klopp did.

klopp was put in a really lovely situation, by all admissions this was not consulted with any managers or players. Klopp had to make a statement as the first manager when faced with a difficult fixture in a cursed season. I wouldn't be too harsh on him unless he keeps toeing the line a day or two from now on.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
It’s pretty amazing how badly they’ve cocked this breakaway up. Announcing a half baked plan for a super league without all the teams on board in the middle of the season without informing your managers of the move and then trotting Perez out to be the sole defender of the league in the public eye has really been a breathtaking thing to watch.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I just wanna know what Jose has to say now that he need not toe any lines

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

dex_sda posted:

klopp was put in a really lovely situation, by all admissions this was not consulted with any managers or players. Klopp had to make a statement as the first manager when faced with a difficult fixture in a cursed season. I wouldn't be too harsh on him unless he keeps toeing the line a day or two from now on.

He didn't have to have a meltdown and cry about how Gary Neville talking about "YNWA" should be illegal lmao.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

greazeball posted:

Actually, since the Prem's next package of TV rights are being negotiated at the moment, domestic football will be absolutely hosed without the draw of the Fat 6 in the league. However they have no choice but to kick them out, since they won't be playing in the same competition for the same prize so it would turn the league into a joke to let them stay.

10 years ago the PL TV deal was half what it is now and the domestic game was fine. Costs have risen out of control in England simply because there's that £100m/year pot of gold sitting at the end of the rainbow. Players are getting 5 figures a week in the Championship and League One and it's not because the PL is so generous in trickling down its wealth, or the quality of player is much better. Everyone's either going for it or simply trying to keep up with the Joneses and avoid relegation.

Kick out the 6 if they think they'll be better off, let a few clubs with unsustainable debts go to the wall. The EFL TV deal is tiny already so it barely effects the most at-risk. Sky made a load of unfashionable shite popular in the 90s, they can do it again.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

TheRat posted:

He didn't have to have a meltdown and cry about how Gary Neville talking about "YNWA" should be illegal lmao.

yeah it was a bit stupid but again, maybe let's give the guy in a really difficult situation some leeway. fwiw I was very surprised how Gary Neville handled it, said he didn't mean it like that and clarified that he supports klopp and liverpool supporters without any jabs

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

for every esl team staff member
https://twitter.com/theyareaboutyou/status/1384491115500347398?s=20

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also that 6 already take a bunch of the TV deal money so everyone else, even with a reduced deal, probably gets at least back to where they've historically been revenue wise. Leicester and West Ham would probably lose out the most but you can't win them all, and it probably shouldn't be disastrous.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

vyelkin posted:

It's been planned for a while but that doesn't mean they have contingency plans. So far it seems like the clubs are legitimately surprised by the extent of the backlash and some of the non-ringleaders are shocked that the ringleaders weren't more prepared for this and didn't even have basic poo poo like a consistent media strategy sorted out before making the announcement. It's an ad hoc shambles from top to bottom, which is exactly what you should expect from a bunch of greedy billionaires biting JP Morgan's hand off as a way to get out of the unsustainable debt they've wracked up by only ever thinking three months ahead for the last two decades.

I know the discussion has gone on for years, decades really, but I've read a few things suggesting that it's literally something they slapped together in the last few days and shat out into the world

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheRat posted:

Yeah, he went too hard in defending the players, but I think the interview yesterday was probably overall still a decent play by Klopp in that position and I expect he'll be giving them both barrels behind closed doors.

As dex_sda said, if he's being a bootlicker going forward we'll tear him a new one

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Good Lad

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1384494671129301002

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think that man utd being kicked out of the premiership should mean we get to keep jesse lingard

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

sassassin posted:

Hell yeah

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Premier League's statement after the meeting of 14 today (from the guardian's live ticker)

quote:

The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal. The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules. The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, Government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.

The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue. The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Good

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

What does this even mean though? Is the super league banning fans? Florentino Perez says he's doing this because it's what the fans really want, after all.

The super league is about removing competition.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rashford subscribes to the same fans/plastics nomenclature that we do

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

What does this even mean though? Is the super league banning fans? Florentino Perez says he's doing this because it's what the fans really want, after all.

"Football is nothing without [legacy] fans" - Sir Matt Busby

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

sassassin posted:

He's saying he agrees with the fans, also lmao Perez is lying like every politician when it comes to something that means they benefit "actually this is what you want, trust me"

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/MikeKeegan_DM/status/1384492077149417478?s=20

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

That's a thing?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

webmeister posted:

I know the discussion has gone on for years, decades really, but I've read a few things suggesting that it's literally something they slapped together in the last few days and shat out into the world

Remember that just a few years ago two of the ringleader clubs couldn't complete a major transfer because of a fax machine malfunction. That's the level of competence and foresight we're dealing with here.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vando posted:

He's saying he agrees with the fans, also lmao Perez is lying like every politician when it comes to something that means they benefit "actually this is what you want, trust me"

Can't rule out the possibility he's just really, really dumb.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1384470333554499588

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bullshit clickbait article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

greazeball posted:

Premier League's statement after the meeting of 14 today (from the guardian's live ticker)

Weaker than what we've seen from Ceferin and the danish UEFA dude. Not good imo, but I guess it's more realistic wrt what may acually be done.