Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Blaise330 posted:

glitching a boss so it can't fight back then saying the fight was disappointing seems to be a pattern. Hopefully patches tweak the boss AI failsafes

Ours didn't glitch but all we did was use bonemass, and fire resist mead. Literally just stood right next to him and left clicked with Frostnir for a minute or so and he was dead. Yag definitely needs big buffs, by the time you get to him you can basically 100% tank him even fighting 'fair'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

toadee posted:

Ours didn't glitch but all we did was use bonemass, and fire resist mead. Literally just stood right next to him and left clicked with Frostnir for a minute or so and he was dead. Yag definitely needs big buffs, by the time you get to him you can basically 100% tank him even fighting 'fair'

our fourth boss got from his biome into the plains and then into our base, which made him much harder and also much more awesome to fight. We also triggered him before bonemass even. In retrospective Moder was the hardest boss overall for our playthrough. Yagluth felt just slightly spongy after that fight. I found the progression starting with bonemass could use some improvement overall. Due to the dot lock from the mountains, they are way more repelling as the soft "hard enemies" lock from the plains. I did much more in the plains before going into the mountains as they are just easier to reach and approach. So maybe just make Yag the 4th boss and Moder the 5th

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Otacon posted:

This "FarmGrid" mod, along with the "CropReplant" mod have saved me HOURS of time.

My Plains farm is built out of an island to avoid enemies, and it's been working very well:

This is about 700-800 Barley all evenly (yet tightly) spaced, done with FarmGrid. Everything grows perfectly. When it's harvest time, I grab a few stalks of Barley from my reserves, pull out my Cultivator, select Barley, and middle-mouse-click spam while walking in a straight line. CropReplant will pull either 3x3 or 4x4 Barley out of the grid, and automatically replant each one in the exact same space.

What used to take me 30-40 minutes to harvest and replant a field takes me about 5 minutes total now.

I want to look into the other farming mod that adds Berries and other currently non-farmable crops.
I went with MassFarming and I would recommend it to anyone using mods. You can hold shift and harvest/plant a large area of one type of crop. You will use up the total amount of stamina each individual action would use, it only removes the tedium of individually planting crops. As someone with a messy farm on bumpy terrain I've had no issues with the grid placement.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

It would take about 3 seconds for your player created world to be full of dicks.

It's one of those cool exciting ideas that would be a lot of fun if it weren't for the fact we're all immature cavemen.

First, so what? IRL is full of dicks too, nothing wrong with penises everywhere and people actually taking the time to creatively craft dongs everywhere is a good sign and it means there are others making more impressive things as well.

Second, just not really. A more likely problem would just be destructive, wanton, chaos if allowed. A landscape of dicks will probably be more interesting than the majority of something like Minecraft's 2b2t anarchy server, which is mostly a wasteland devoid of any normally destructible block, punctuated by structures taking advantage of a peculiarity of the old version to preserve original structures in bizarre waterfall cubes around the entire thing.

There are plenty of games with editible worlds that manage to create worlds that don't descend into penis or void chaos. You can also kind of just already do this separately in some of those games, you can download worlds other people have crafted, or visit their world directly.

I think even something as hacky as making a "server list" actually exist in-game via space travel or some contrivance would go a long way to creating the illusion of a persistent universe an individual can make a tangible, visible, and shareable impact in it.

If nothing else, I hope the game ultimately ends with us making a ship made of toenails gathered from our own corpses, that lets us sail into the sky and into other player's worlds to check out their towns and erotic ogre sculptures.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I saw that eggs can respawn after 480 minutes. Does someone need to be logged on the server for this to count or can I just come back in 8 hours to a new egg on a persistent server?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I do not understand ironwood. I can build an ironwood pole and put stone on top of it, but if I try to keep the stone aligned on a grid the stone is no longer supported by vertical beams so I need to build horizontal ironwood beams. And for some reason I can't just use one ironwood beam to support a stone block.

If I use any 1 of those horizontal joists it doesn't support stone, but if I use all 3 it does. Do I just need 3 horizontal for each stone? There is no point building more vertical beams because they do not support the stone if I keep them aligned to the grid, I have to have horizontal beams even in the corner where the vertical ironwood should be supporting the stone. This would have been so much easier with just stone.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Harlock posted:

I saw that eggs can respawn after 480 minutes. Does someone need to be logged on the server for this to count or can I just come back in 8 hours to a new egg on a persistent server?

Nothing happens on the server if no one is logged in.

Sanctum posted:

I do not understand ironwood. I can build an ironwood pole and put stone on top of it, but if I try to keep the stone aligned on a grid the stone is no longer supported by vertical beams so I need to build horizontal ironwood beams. And for some reason I can't just use one ironwood beam to support a stone block.

If I use any 1 of those horizontal joists it doesn't support stone, but if I use all 3 it does. Do I just need 3 horizontal for each stone? There is no point building more vertical beams because they do not support the stone if I keep them aligned to the grid, I have to have horizontal beams even in the corner where the vertical ironwood should be supporting the stone. This would have been so much easier with just stone.

Stone is weird and a bit of a puzzle to figure out. I can build stone floors on single horizontal ironwood beams and if one floor block breaks it will suddenly consider itself supported if I build some of the other floor blocks around it without changing the ironwood.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Yeah I think I'm just gonna collapse the whole thing and go with stone, looks better and I can make a taller roof.

Do leviathans move? I found one right off the coast from spawn, not sure if I should leave him alone as a cool landmark near spawn.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Leviathans don't move, but they will despawn.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sanctum posted:

I went with MassFarming and I would recommend it to anyone using mods. You can hold shift and harvest/plant a large area of one type of crop. You will use up the total amount of stamina each individual action would use, it only removes the tedium of individually planting crops. As someone with a messy farm on bumpy terrain I've had no issues with the grid placement.

after farting around planting carrots and turnips I'm breaking down and adding this, man what a nuisance.
e: wow even if you don't use it for farming at all (but it's very good for that) it also does mass shroom/berry picking too, nice mod

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 18, 2021

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

And the mass picking works on beehives too!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
started a new world and set up a house for my first boat staging area, then I realized I forgot the fire requirement

putting the bed directly over that campfire but diverting the smoke lets me sleep upstairs :thumbsup:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Nice little update!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/892970/announcements/detail/5411613798265437193

quote:

This was a long one! This patch has been taking extra long time to develop due to the new terrain-modification system. The new terrain modification system is made to reduce the number of network instances and make loading faster and smoother. Technically it’s a pretty big change but hopefully you should not notice that much of a difference except some minor behaviour changes to the hoe and pickaxe and of course much smoother loading of areas with a lot of terrain modifications. All terrain modifications after this patch (using the hoe, pickaxe or cultivator) will automatically use the new modification system. For existing areas where heavy terrain modifications have been made before this patch we have added a special console command “optterrain” that basically converts all the old terrain modifications in the nearby area to the new system. To use the “optterrain” console command, you first need to enable the ingame console by adding “-console” as a launch argument for the game.

* Swamp draugr spawner location fix to prevent draugrs from spawning inside stones
* Lox pet-sfx fix
* Torches in locations should no longer support constructions
* Dolmen location stone size fix
* New terrain modification system
* Terrain-modification priority changed (Terrain modifications in an area should load before buildings, only applies to the new terrain modification system)
* World loading tweaks (to fix issues with ships and buildings getting damaged while loading)
* Stop server list download when leaving the start menu (to decrease network bandwidth usage)
* Lowered the amount of stone required to Raise ground using the hoe

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Heck yeah. Makes sense that it took a while, then. And cool to see them doing that overhaul sooner rather than later

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

quote:

* World loading tweaks (to fix issues with ships and buildings getting damaged while loading)

I've lost a number of ships to zoning in and seeing them at a 90 degree angle before crashing down, so hopefully that's what this is.

At this point my little group has all quit until more content, though. Annoying, but understandable and now we'd start fresh when new zones are fleshed out.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Nosre posted:

I've lost a number of ships to zoning in and seeing them at a 90 degree angle before crashing down, so hopefully that's what this is.

At this point my little group has all quit until more content, though. Annoying, but understandable and now we'd start fresh when new zones are fleshed out.

Yeah I lost 200 iron nails to this bug before I redid my dock so my boat was parked in shallow enough water to recover them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thankfully that new command works for dedicated servers. I was going to be annoyed if it was a local-only cheat and I had to copy the save to my PC to fix manually.

It didn't instantly revolutionize my FPS but then again my server doesn't have any ridiculous mega constructions.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

xzzy posted:

Thankfully that new command works for dedicated servers. I was going to be annoyed if it was a local-only cheat and I had to copy the save to my PC to fix manually.

It didn't instantly revolutionize my FPS but then again my server doesn't have any ridiculous mega constructions.

Does it change the terraforming at all when you execute it? I was leaning toward not using it unless I was having fps issues in an area because I was afraid something would shift slightly and suddenly a wall comes down because something is no longer grounded.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jarmak posted:

Does it change the terraforming at all when you execute it? I was leaning toward not using it unless I was having fps issues in an area because I was afraid something would shift slightly and suddenly a wall comes down because something is no longer grounded.

I noticed no changes at all. Not even around our dumb newbie moat at our first fortress.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Nice! That patch seems great for longevity and doing it now is a good idea. Hopefully newer content comes along soon but I'm still in the swamps so I've got plenty of time.

Also reducing the stone for raising the ground is a nice touch.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

xzzy posted:

From what I can tell based off of other reports, anyone in your admin.txt file on the server can run the command.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

Nice! That patch seems great for longevity and doing it now is a good idea. Hopefully newer content comes along soon but I'm still in the swamps so I've got plenty of time.

Also reducing the stone for raising the ground is a nice touch.

Yeah it's pretty nice how they cater to underlying tech and conditions to create a smooth experience before adding content, even if I could already play through additional 100% of the current content.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I ran around an old base on my first world we abandoned for the fps issues it caused and used the optterrain command. My fps went from around 25 to 30 (I pull 70-90 in undeveloped areas) but the really noticeable thing was no random freezing for insane amounts of terraforming to load while moving around.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lozareth posted:

I ran around an old base on my first world we abandoned for the fps issues it caused and used the optterrain command. My fps went from around 25 to 30 (I pull 70-90 in undeveloped areas) but the really noticeable thing was no random freezing for insane amounts of terraforming to load while moving around.

Any feel for how big a radius the command executes in?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Jarmak posted:

It would make sense for it to be your render radius

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Plastik posted:

It would make sense for it to be your render radius

doh, yes that does seem rather intuitively obvious.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Jarmak posted:

Thankfully, it tells you if the area is already optimized, so you can spam the update command as you run around the base.

This pushed my frame rate from 26-27 to the 40s. Not bad at all!

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Anybody tried pushing an ice float on to a boat for transport? Tried for a few hours but couldn't get it on the boat without breaking it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Heffer posted:

Anybody tried pushing an ice float on to a boat for transport? Tried for a few hours but couldn't get it on the boat without breaking it.

Can you harpoon them and drag them instead?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Harpoons do not work unfortunately.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

New update seems to fix terrain killing framerate!

Irongate posted:

This was a long one! This patch has been taking extra long time to develop due to the new terrain-modification system. The new terrain modification system is made to reduce the number of network instances and make loading faster and smoother. Technically it’s a pretty big change but hopefully you should not notice that much of a difference except some minor behaviour changes to the hoe and pickaxe and of course much smoother loading of areas with a lot of terrain modifications. All terrain modifications after this patch (using the hoe, pickaxe or cultivator) will automatically use the new modification system. For existing areas where heavy terrain modifications have been made before this patch we have added a special console command “optterrain” that basically converts all the old terrain modifications in the nearby area to the new system. To use the “optterrain” console command, you first need to enable the ingame console by adding “-console” as a launch argument for the game.

* Swamp draugr spawner location fix to prevent draugrs from spawning inside stones
* Lox pet-sfx fix
* Torches in locations should no longer support constructions
* Dolmen location stone size fix
* New terrain modification system
* Terrain-modification priority changed (Terrain modifications in an area should load before buildings, only applies to the new terrain modification system)
* Stop server list download when leaving the start menu (to decrease network bandwidth usage)
* Lowered the amount of stone required to Raise ground using the hoe

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

punishedkissinger posted:

It's a good sign that they took care of a foundational problem before building more on top of it - I can only assume this would have been much harder had they kept it on the back burner. It's not popular with some people who wanted more content sooner, but I think it will prove to be the right choice in the long run.

I did my conversions and it did reduce my instance count with no repercussions, but I read in a few places that some people who used third-party tools to mod the landscape had some unusual artifacts and land shapes left behind. Still, once it's converted in most cases it seems to be a minor bit of work to put the land back how it was, and the upside is tremendous.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Fixes like this is what I like to see in early access games. Stuff like minor balance (tweaking weapon damage) feels empty and kind of a "why are you wasting time on this" and just dumping out content expansions ends up leaving glaring problems in the dust.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i haven't had a chance to test yet but I will tonight. pretty exciting patch for me, an idiot who dug massive canals everywhere in my first twenty hours.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cutting the ability to raise rock to your level by clicking the corner of the rock you’re standing on stinks but leveling land got a bit of a buff so maybe it balances my time.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Our village, which is fairly terraformed but not completely, gained a good ten FPS after updating it with the command. Nice.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

punishedkissinger posted:

fix is a strong word, but hey it's better than nothing

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
Luckily, at our 3 main setlements we didn't need to do much terraforming outside of smoothing the existing terrain out just a bit, and the canals we've dug are short, but even at home base the change seems noticeable.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The terrain optimization definitely helps a bit but it wont save bases that are crazy laggy.

Our main base went from 22k instances to around 14k instances and it definitely helped as the base was almost unplayable but its still at like 15fps, just consistent and no horrible loading freezes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I made a lighthouse because is it even a base if it doesn't have one? Plus that small peninsula was just begging for it.

The spiral around it is individually placed 1m wood blocks to make a climbable but dangerous staircase around the outside.

It sucks that I have to leave a gaping hole in the platform around the fire but the stairs have to end somewhere and give access to the fire.

Pretty happy with it overall. The wider base is round too; there's 4 faux support thingies sticking out from the base that make it not look round in screenshots.