Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

What the hell happened to Apple buying the new movie for release on Apple+? I watch all of the movies in November so they totally dropped the ball and missed their chance!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

They probably didn't want to spend the $600 million asking price.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Cacator posted:

They probably didn't want to spend the $600 million asking price.

They wouldn't have blinked if Jobs was alive. :colbert:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Sister works for the studio. They're realllllly crossing their fingers for a theater release.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Bond shoots at the audience but it’s Covid

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I rewatched Die Another Day for the first time in years recently and wow, what utter garbage. Far and away the worst in the series. It's funny they thought they could make a spinoff series of Jinx, a total nothing character. Zhao, the main henchman, isn't threatening or intimidating at all. Toby Stephens seems to be having fun I guess.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Die Another Day is practically self parody and I’m so grateful they turned the dial the other way going forward.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I think DAD is decent until around the point where Madonna shows up. All the stuff with Bond getting captured and coming back works pretty well. After that point the movie goes to complete poo poo. Brosnan deserved a lot better for his last movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Good bits of DAD: the hovercraft chase, the swordfight, The Clash, the bootleg version of David Arnold's score for the ice chase rather than the one in the film which had some of the electronic tracks stripped out and sounds empty and weedy as a result.

Bad bits of DAD: pretty much everything else.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Tanya Roberts lived to die another day.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cacator posted:

Tanya Roberts lived to die another day.

Good lord Roger Moore was 28 years older than Tanya (the latter of whom is still listed as dead on IMDB).

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Good lord Roger Moore was 28 years older than Tanya (the latter of whom is still listed as dead on IMDB).

She did in fact die today, but this was my only chance to use that phrase in a non-ironic context. :rip:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
October 8th.

:sigh:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Just push it to November, that’s where Bond movies belong. :colbert:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Violator posted:

Just push it to November, that’s where Bond movies belong. :colbert:
Should be October 7th in the US, and July 10th in the UK.

10/07 in both cases.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Payndz posted:

Should be October 7th in the US, and July 10th in the UK.

10/07 in both cases.

:hmmyes:

Did pushing it back mess up any anniversary’s? Wasn’t Skyfall 50 years of bond or something?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Have had Bond on the mind lately so decided to watch a few of the films I hadn't seen or don't remember seeing. Here are my thoughts if you care to read them!

For Your Eyes Only: Really solid, I like the slightly downbeat tone compared to TSWLM (haven't seen Moonraker but from what I know about it, it's not exactly grounded). There's an interesting element of mentorship in this film, I wish it was more fleshed out in regards to Melina. Bond almost feels more like a replacement father figure to her in this movie. I think the paternal angle would have been more interesting then love interest, especially considering what I perceived to be a lack of romantic chemistry between the two. Columbo's character was cool, very charming, I would have enjoyed seeing him come back for another film. Would have been much prefered over JW Pepper... I think the pacing is pretty much on point with the exception of the underwater Macguffin retrieval scene going on a bit too long. I don't think it needed that second encounter with the henchmen. The title sequence was gorgeous, one of my favorites, although I'm not crazy about the song. Overall I am left satisfied and wondering why Blofeld offered Bond a delicatessen made of stainless steel in the intro bit, what a strange line. Speaking of intro bits, I don't know how anyone can think "James Bond" is a codename considering this is one of many direct references to Bond's late wife. Solid film.

License to Kill: Enjoyed this one as well, but I have to admit it feels more like a notable 80s crime/action movie then a Bond film. Quite a few films in the series are reactionary in theme relative to other popular films of the era, this is one of the more notable examples I think. I recognize that balancing tone in terms of drama and levity is a difficult thing, especially when Bond's motivation and goals in this one are so directly personal, but I wish there were more moments of levity. That said, I do appreciate Dalton's intensity and Sanchez is a great villain. His manner of death is one of the more thematically well executed within the series. The Yojimbo element of Bond orchestrating what's perceived as internal betrayal is cool and a unique element within the series. The televangelist resort / drug lab setting at the end felt a bit tacked on, like they wanted to have a classic villain's lair despite Sanchez's relatively more realistic motives and methods of financing his operations. Benecio is a great henchman and was well utilitized, especially as he's starting to recognize Bond towards the end. Bond handing over Sanchez's girlfriend to El Presidente as a consultation prize at the end was very amusing for all the wrong reasons. Also, why didn't Sanchez recognize Bond straight away? In the process of his plane getting hogtying the plane in the intro he didn't see his face? Also, maybe I missed something, but you would think given Sanchez's immediate knowledge of Felix he would have similar info on Bond. A minor point, ultimately still enjoyed it at the end. Another reference to Bond's late wife in a piece of early dialogue. Also, shoutout to Big Ed from Twin Peaks as... Ed.

Octopussy: Decided I was in the mood for some more light-hearted Moore hijinx so watched this one next. I have heard very mixed things about this film so I was prepared for some light entertainment and to turn my brain off for an hour or two. To my pleasant surprise I enjoyed it quite a bit, perhaps the most out of these three films. It's a really nice balance of a classically satisfying spy plot, beautiful locations and photography, and just the right amount of Moore Bond Campiness. The establishing shots and location photography in the India segments are among the best in the series. The title sequence visuals were kind of bog standard and not super thematically relevant, but All Time High is a beautiful song and it's theme is really well integrated into the rest of the film's soundtrack. I almost got a bit emotional when it plays on the credits rolling with that beautiful sunset shot of the boat on the ocean. I know that may sound a bit ridiculous but aesthetically it was just totally on point for me. This would have been a fantastic closing film for Moore. The plot in this one was enjoyable Hitchcockian in setup and execution, especially with the classic ticking bomb amongst the unsuspecting audience bit at the end. Khan and the rogue Russian general were both solid antagonists, although the general could have used a bit more screen time. Louis Jordan's performance as Kamal Khan was very enjoyable - I love the balance of passive agressive behaviors with his sophisticated, calm demeanor. He remains cool even when totally annoyed, like when he shows up to find Bond in Octopussy's bedroom and is told to take a hike. The fixed dice scene cracked me up a bit. How long was Khan sitting there rolling pairs of Sixes before Bond showed up? Did no one else in the room think it was a bit suspicious, or were they just afraid to say anything? Anyways, I rate this one pretty highly and I think it's a successful late example of the classic Bond formula.

I started watching Tomorrow Never Dies last night and after the enjoyable pre title sequence the film rapidly went downhill in my opinion... I got about halfway through before I needed to get some sleep, but unfortunately I'm feeling like this is one of the worst films in the series. The worst kind of pretentious stylized dialogue, weird editing and pacing, lame villain and henchmen. Weak soundtrack. The title sequence was abysmal, awful example of early CGI. A media mogul starting WW3 so he can expand his cable news network is a bit far fetched, even for a Bond film. If anyone is interested I'll return and share my thoughts about the rest of the film when I finish it, but I'm not feeling optimistic about the second half, considering the first.

Big Bizness fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 20, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So Black Widow and this new Bond film seem like the two biggest films most affected by being pushed back from covid, now that film has a release date, I’m curious if we’ll hear anything about this one.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Big Bizness posted:

Have had Bond on the mind lately so decided to watch a few of the films I hadn't seen or don't remember seeing. Here are my thoughts if you care to read them!

For Your Eyes Only: Really solid, I like the slightly downbeat tone compared to TSWLM (haven't seen Moonraker but from what I know about it, it's not exactly grounded). There's an interesting element of mentorship in this film, I wish it was more fleshed out in regards to Melina. Bond almost feels more like a replacement father figure to her in this movie. I think the paternal angle would have been more interesting then love interest, especially considering what I perceived to be a lack of romantic chemistry between the two. Columbo's character was cool, very charming, I would have enjoyed seeing him come back for another film. Would have been much prefered over JW Pepper... I think the pacing is pretty much on point with the exception of the underwater Macguffin retrieval scene going on a bit too long. I don't think it needed that second encounter with the henchmen. The title sequence was gorgeous, one of my favorites, although I'm not crazy about the song. Overall I am left satisfied and wondering why Blofeld offered Bond a delicatessen made of stainless steel in the intro bit, what a strange line. Speaking of intro bits, I don't know how anyone can think "James Bond" is a codename considering this is one of many direct references to Bond's late wife. Solid film.

License to Kill: Enjoyed this one as well, but I have to admit it feels more like a notable 80s crime/action movie then a Bond film. Quite a few films in the series are reactionary in theme relative to other popular films of the era, this is one of the more notable examples I think. I recognize that balancing tone in terms of drama and levity is a difficult thing, especially when Bond's motivation and goals in this one are so directly personal, but I wish there were more moments of levity. That said, I do appreciate Dalton's intensity and Sanchez is a great villain. His manner of death is one of the more thematically well executed within the series. The Yojimbo element of Bond orchestrating what's perceived as internal betrayal is cool and a unique element within the series. The televangelist resort / drug lab setting at the end felt a bit tacked on, like they wanted to have a classic villain's lair despite Sanchez's relatively more realistic motives and methods of financing his operations. Benecio is a great henchman and was well utilitized, especially as he's starting to recognize Bond towards the end. Bond handing over Sanchez's girlfriend to El Presidente as a consultation prize at the end was very amusing for all the wrong reasons. Also, why didn't Sanchez recognize Bond straight away? In the process of his plane getting hogtying the plane in the intro he didn't see his face? Also, maybe I missed something, but you would think given Sanchez's immediate knowledge of Felix he would have similar info on Bond. A minor point, ultimately still enjoyed it at the end. Another reference to Bond's late wife in a piece of early dialogue. Also, shoutout to Big Ed from Twin Peaks as... Ed.

Octopussy: Decided I was in the mood for some more light-hearted Moore hijinx so watched this one next. I have heard very mixed things about this film so I was prepared for some light entertainment and to turn my brain off for an hour or two. To my pleasant surprise I enjoyed it quite a bit, perhaps the most out of these three films. It's a really nice balance of a classically satisfying spy plot, beautiful locations and photography, and just the right amount of Moore Bond Campiness. The establishing shots and location photography in the India segments are among the best in the series. The title sequence visuals were kind of bog standard and not super thematically relevant, but All Time High is a beautiful song and it's theme is really well integrated into the rest of the film's soundtrack. I almost got a bit emotional when it plays on the credits rolling with that beautiful sunset shot of the boat on the ocean. I know that may sound a bit ridiculous but aesthetically it was just totally on point for me. This would have been a fantastic closing film for Moore. The plot in this one was enjoyable Hitchcockian in setup and execution, especially with the classic ticking bomb amongst the unsuspecting audience bit at the end. Khan and the rogue Russian general were both solid antagonists, although the general could have used a bit more screen time. Louis Jordan's performance as Kamal Khan was very enjoyable - I love the balance of passive agressive behaviors with his sophisticated, calm demeanor. He remains cool even when totally annoyed, like when he shows up to find Bond in Octopussy's bedroom and is told to take a hike. The fixed dice scene cracked me up a bit. How long was Khan sitting there rolling pairs of Sixes before Bond showed up? Did no one else in the room think it was a bit suspicious, or were they just afraid to say anything? Anyways, I rate this one pretty highly and I think it's a successful late example of the classic Bond formula.

I started watching Tomorrow Never Dies last night and after the enjoyable pre title sequence the film rapidly went downhill in my opinion... I got about halfway through before I needed to get some sleep, but unfortunately I'm feeling like this is one of the worst films in the series. The worst kind of pretentious stylized dialogue, weird editing and pacing, lame villain and henchmen. Weak soundtrack. The title sequence was abysmal, awful example of early CGI. A media mogul starting WW3 so he can expand his cable news network is a bit far fetched, even for a Bond film. If anyone is interested I'll return and share my thoughts about the rest of the film when I finish it, but I'm not feeling optimistic about the second half, considering the first.

I generally agree with your assessments. Personally I think Octopussy is the most underrated Bond film. People who haven't seen it or don't remember it just think "that's the one where Bond dresses as a clown, right?" and write it off as a campy Moore comedy. I think it's significantly better than some of the other Moores like A View To A Kill or The Man With The Golden Gun. The scene where Bond is a clown trying to stop the bomb is legitimately really good if you actually give it a chance - I think it's pretty thrilling! And the stunt at the end with the guys on the outside of the plane is one of the best of the series. It's a lot of fun and it seems like everyone in the movie knows their job and does a pretty good job of it although I will admit the complaints about it taking too long to find out what the villainous scheme actually is are kind of fair.

In FYEO, the "delicatessen in stainless steel" line is apparently a reference to the Mafia and that being something that they stereotypically bribed people with, but yeah it lands super oddly.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Big Bizness posted:

the underwater ___ scene going on a bit too long

Ah, truly a Bond film.

Big Bizness posted:

If anyone is interested I'll return and share my thoughts about the rest of the film when I finish it, but I'm not feeling optimistic about the second half, considering the first.

I enjoyed your thoughts (and agree with them) but I'd suggest you take a rest. Savour the good highs you've had before drowning in the sloppier offerings.

e: and yeah, Octopussy is top-tier Moore camp.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

gohuskies posted:

I generally agree with your assessments. Personally I think Octopussy is the most underrated Bond film. People who haven't seen it or don't remember it just think "that's the one where Bond dresses as a clown, right?" and write it off as a campy Moore comedy. I think it's significantly better than some of the other Moores like A View To A Kill or The Man With The Golden Gun. The scene where Bond is a clown trying to stop the bomb is legitimately really good if you actually give it a chance - I think it's pretty thrilling! And the stunt at the end with the guys on the outside of the plane is one of the best of the series. It's a lot of fun and it seems like everyone in the movie knows their job and does a pretty good job of it although I will admit the complaints about it taking too long to find out what the villainous scheme actually is are kind of fair.

In FYEO, the "delicatessen in stainless steel" line is apparently a reference to the Mafia and that being something that they stereotypically bribed people with, but yeah it lands super oddly.

That plane stunt was unreal! Great stuff.

Interesting regarding the Mafia thing, you'd think Blofeld would be leagues about that but nice to have some reference point.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

ynohtna posted:

I enjoyed your thoughts (and agree with them) but I'd suggest you take a rest. Savour the good highs you've had before drowning in the sloppier offerings.

e: and yeah, Octopussy is top-tier Moore camp.

Funny you say that because my plan was / is to watch most of the films again, and I wanted to start with the lesser regarded and unknowns before moving into sure thing territory with stuff like Goldfinger, OHMSS, TSWLM, GoldenEye, etc. I still haven't seen OHMSS, Moonraker, and don't remember a thing about TWINE so plenty left to explore.
I watched Dr.No and FRWL (and still rate them highly) a few months ago so I won't be rewatching them anytime soon I think.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't really like Octopussy; I think Moore (whom I like) reached his peak at Moonraker. However, the bomb defusing scene at the end of that movie is one of my favorite Bond moments. There's a dark humor-esque quality to it (not sure if that's quite the right term) that I love, but it's not treated as a joke in the movie at all.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I just can't help wondering how long it took Bond to get all that clown makeup on while waiting for a nuke to explode.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Big Bizness posted:

That plane stunt was unreal! Great stuff.

Interesting regarding the Mafia thing, you'd think Blofeld would be leagues about that but nice to have some reference point.

It was meant to be humiliating to Blofeld. Due to the legal snafu that was Thunderball, Kevin McClory now had the rights to anything he contributed to that project and refused to let Eon continue using SPECTRE or Blofeld so long as he lived. So Eon had an unnamed Blofeld killed off in an embarrassing fashion to show that they didn’t even need him anyway!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Moonraker for better or worse is the best Moore film. The villain is good and the humor generally works, which is more than I can say for the other "funny" Moore movies. None of this is high art but it should at least be amusing.

The worst Moore one is by far Man with the Golden Gun, which is remarkable given how uneven the Moore movies are and how long it takes Moore to finally hang up the tuxedo. I was trying to binge the Bond movies when they went free and getting through the 15 years of Moore movies burnt me out.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 20, 2021

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Ehhh Drax is a more entertaining villain than Stromberg but otherwise I'd say TSWLM (which is pretty much the same movie) does everything better.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
You kind of touched on it with For Your Eyes Only, but especially in A View to a Kill they really should have just gone the route of making Bond the age he clearly is and be a father type figure to these girls rather than love interest. It wouldn't have changed the movie in any way and it would have been a lot less uncomfortable. God forbid James Bond not have sex in a movie though, I guess.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cacator posted:

Ehhh Drax is a more entertaining villain than Stromberg but otherwise I'd say TSWLM (which is pretty much the same movie) does everything better.

The Spy Who Loved Me is a "greatest hits" Bond movie which is both its blessing and its curse. Some people don't like it because it's cliche after cliche, but on the other hand, the greatest hits are the greatest hits for a reason. It's one of my favorites.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spy has some excellent sequences and a good song, but yeah it's very been-there-done-that in other respects. The ending is sleep-inducing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Back in 2003 I briefly chatted with Roger Moore at the La Guardia airport baggage claim. He was nice enough. We both shared the common issue of “where the hell is my luggage.” They had his. Mine got diverted to the wrong airport or plane.

He was also accompanied by the most attractive woman I’ve ever seen in person. She was supermodel attractive. Good on him for still having it at that age.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Amazon just bought MGM

Maybe the movie will finally be released now lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Has Amazon ever released a movie in theatres?

Edit: Quick check says yes.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Bond has to piss in bottles now and Q gives him Anker brand gadgets

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

man nurse posted:

Amazon just bought MGM

Maybe the movie will finally be released now lol

Who knows? MGM only owns 50% of UA which has North American distribution and worldwide digital. Universal has international and home media.

quote:

No Time to Die will be the first Bond film distributed by Universal Pictures, which acquired the international distribution rights following the expiration of Sony Pictures’ contract after the release of Spectre in 2015. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer subsidiary United Artists Releasing holds the rights for North America, including worldwide digital and television rights. Universal also have rights to release the film on physical home media worldwide.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'm glad this got bumped, because I forgot to do it yesterday when I watched the '67 version of Casino Royale.

What in the gently caress did I just watch lol

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

I'm glad this got bumped, because I forgot to do it yesterday when I watched the '67 version of Casino Royale.

What in the gently caress did I just watch lol

Hollywood had no loving idea how to react to the cultural divide and political turmoil of the 1960s. They absolutely did not want to alienate anyone, and even something as simple as a man having long hair would get you letters from the olds. But you didn't want to lose the Boomers either. So Hollywood (and Madison Avenue) embraced this very generic, apolitical version of psychedelia and mod now a-go-go hipness, with lots of arch irony and camp and non sequitir silliness.

Also, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World was a big hit in 1963 and set the stage for "Big Comedies", large chaotic flicks with a lot of big names in them. The idea is if you throw all that talent and all that money at the screen some of it has to work, right?

And MGM (relevant to this convo) were a little desperate. Their dominance in the olden days was built on owning the most theaters and having the most stars under contract and both of those things got wiped out due to policy changes and the rise of SAG and the like. In the 50s and 60s they adopted a blockbuster tentpole model, they'd have a really big movie each year that was supposed to carry them, and sometimes this worked and sometimes it didn't, and by the late 60s things were looking pretty ragged. I believe they were sold off a year after, to a guy who did Las Vegas package tours and wanted to build hotels.

So they pounced on one Bond novel that the Broccolis didn't have the rights to (because Fleming had sold it separately long before Dr. No happened), and tried to make it a hip now mod-a-go-go Big Comedy with all the stars they could think of and no central animating premise besides "be nutty!"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hollywood had no loving idea how to react to the cultural divide and political turmoil of the 1960s. They absolutely did not want to alienate anyone, and even something as simple as a man having long hair would get you letters from the olds. But you didn't want to lose the Boomers either. So Hollywood (and Madison Avenue) embraced this very generic, apolitical version of psychedelia and mod now a-go-go hipness, with lots of arch irony and camp and non sequitir silliness.

Also, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World was a big hit in 1963 and set the stage for "Big Comedies", large chaotic flicks with a lot of big names in them. The idea is if you throw all that talent and all that money at the screen some of it has to work, right?

And MGM (relevant to this convo) were a little desperate. Their dominance in the olden days was built on owning the most theaters and having the most stars under contract and both of those things got wiped out due to policy changes and the rise of SAG and the like. In the 50s and 60s they adopted a blockbuster tentpole model, they'd have a really big movie each year that was supposed to carry them, and sometimes this worked and sometimes it didn't, and by the late 60s things were looking pretty ragged. I believe they were sold off a year after, to a guy who did Las Vegas package tours and wanted to build hotels.

So they pounced on one Bond novel that the Broccolis didn't have the rights to (because Fleming had sold it separately long before Dr. No happened), and tried to make it a hip now mod-a-go-go Big Comedy with all the stars they could think of and no central animating premise besides "be nutty!"

That... makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Next you have to watch Operation Double 007 starring Neil Connery and Never Say Never Again to complete the faux Bond trilogy. Bonus points if you watch The Dragon Lives Again, where James Bond is one of the rulers of Hell that Bruce Lee has to fight with his buddy Popeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The filming was messy as gently caress too. Orson Welles hated Peter Sellers (also famously Woody Allen, but he interacted less with him anyway), so the two actors are almost never on screen at the same time and like the one time they are is probably a split screen. Sellers quit early so they wrote him out using outtakes.