Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

That's a thing?

The captain's armband lights up and wherever you are you have to answer the call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pep's not a fan:

quote:

I want the best competition, the strongest competition possible, especially the Premier League. It is not fair when one team fight, fight, fight, arrive at the top and cannot qualify because success is already guaranteed just for a few teams. I don’t know what is going to change. [Even if] the people say: ‘No, no, maybe four or five teams can go up and play this competition’, [then] what happens to the 14 or 15 not playing a good season and every time will be there? So this is not sport.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
It totally devalues anything lower than 1st place in the PL too for any of the big 6 as there's no incentive to fight for top 4

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

sassassin posted:

10 years ago the PL TV deal was half what it is now and the domestic game was fine. Costs have risen out of control in England simply because there's that £100m/year pot of gold sitting at the end of the rainbow. Players are getting 5 figures a week in the Championship and League One and it's not because the PL is so generous in trickling down its wealth, or the quality of player is much better. Everyone's either going for it or simply trying to keep up with the Joneses and avoid relegation.

Kick out the 6 if they think they'll be better off, let a few clubs with unsustainable debts go to the wall. The EFL TV deal is tiny already so it barely effects the most at-risk. Sky made a load of unfashionable shite popular in the 90s, they can do it again.

yeah i think it's a bit overdramatic/silly to say the pyramid will collapse because of 6 clubs leaving, yeah things will need to be adjusted/restructured but not like all the other fans will stop caring

Gigi Galli posted:

But seriously other than the guy who was unaware of the existence of Portuguese this thread has been good. Thank you everyone.

you're right, that part was not good

it was great

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1384510918588051456?s=19

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Amazon distancing itself from this dead dog.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Karl Sharks posted:

yeah i think it's a bit overdramatic/silly to say the pyramid will collapse because of 6 clubs leaving, yeah things will need to be adjusted/restructured but not like all the other fans will stop caring

Ultimately, it depends on if those clubs leave and succeed elsewhere. If they do, it devalues the rest of the sport irrevocably because the demand won't be there. If they don't, it doesn't really matter because the sport is ultimately what makes the money, and the clubs are just where the appeal is most concentrated. If the Super League eats poo poo, the global audience won't give a gently caress about Liverpool, Man Utd etc because the new Ronaldos and Messis will be playing for Everton and West Ham.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I doubt BT are eager to lose subscribers either.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
lol i hope this is gonna fail so hard and barca and real will be left in the dust with their billion euro debts.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

There have been some references to pressuring one of the weak links, like Chelsea maybe, but wouldn't have the founders signed binding collective agreements to prevent this?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the popes toes posted:

There have been some references to pressuring one of the weak links, like Chelsea maybe, but wouldn't have the founders signed binding collective agreements to prevent this?
they’re dumb as gently caress op who knows what they’ve failed to do

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Karl Sharks posted:

really? you think that PL clubs are so responsibly managed that they could take a 30% reduction (just pulling a number out of my rear end) in the TV fees after a year of no fans and a bunch of them won't go bust? loving Liverpool were hours from liquidation after only 3 years of shithead American owner group #1, I imagine it will be tough for every club left in the league if they have to deal with another shortfall. Sure there are other clubs in the pyramid to take their place but it's not OK to let a couple top-tier clubs disappear just to get shot of the Rich 6.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the popes toes posted:

You can 100% guarantee nobody has signed anything remotely close to binding.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

greazeball posted:

really? you think that PL clubs are so responsibly managed that they could take a 30% reduction (just pulling a number out of my rear end) in the TV fees after a year of no fans and a bunch of them won't go bust? loving Liverpool were hours from liquidation after only 3 years of shithead American owner group #1, I imagine it will be tough for every club left in the league if they have to deal with another shortfall. Sure there are other clubs in the pyramid to take their place but it's not OK to let a couple top-tier clubs disappear just to get shot of the Rich 6.

Why not?

Relegation is more than 30% drop in turnover overnight, Swansea were down ~50% with the first parachute payment. The PL clubs pleading poverty are the same ones spunking tens of millions on transfer fees every summer. Ooh those poor owners why won't someone think about the billionaires. If the FA and UK government play ball it's not a problem anyone should lose sleep over.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Why not?

Relegation is more than 30% drop in turnover overnight, Swansea were down ~50% with the first parachute payment. The PL clubs pleading poverty are the same ones spunking tens of millions on transfer fees every summer. Ooh those poor owners why won't someone think about the billionaires. If the FA and UK government play ball it's not a problem anyone should lose sleep over.

Also football survived for over a century without massive international TV rights income. Some clubs would absolutely face financial hardship in the short term if the PL bubble burst, whether from a super league or anything else, but ultimately the whole point of a league pyramid is that even if some clubs unsustainably overinflate their finances and collapse, other clubs can take their place at the top. Funnily enough, that is in fact the entire thing the super league is trying to avoid, because clubs like Madrid and Barcelona are terrified of going bankrupt and getting replaced.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

In terms of Champions league performances.

Lyon - Semi finalists twice
Lille - 1 RO16
Monaco - 1 semi, 1 final since 2000
Marseille - 2 finals in the 90s, never got past the quarters since

one of those Marseille finals was a title

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vando posted:

"Culture" is probably not quite the right way to describe it but I suspect what he's getting at is the feeling that everyone in the local area has a shared experience around matchdays, that sort of thing. As it becomes more about the money than the club, that feeling of belonging to a social endeavour gets replaced by what is essentially just brand loyalty.

Realistically this has been dead for definitely every London club in the top two, maybe three divisions as well as the Manchester and Liverpool clubs since at least the turn of the century (can't really speak for Yorkshire, Tyne/Tees etc, but I suspect much the same applies there too). The people living around White Hart Lane, Eastfields, Anfield et. al. aren't the people attending games there. This is a two-way process of course - gentrification of football has put the ticket prices far, far beyond the means of the people living in the area, while at the same time the Thatcherite autogerrymandering of the cities has seen the traditional support of these clubs move away to the suburbs and exurbs.

Of course in a lot of ways that "community" has also been commodified into brand loyalty anyway, as part of that geographic/social movement process. Clubs successfully commodified that experience of being part of a greater whole years ago not least because the people who used to walk from their 2up 2down on Manor Road to the ground are now semi-retired in Billericay (and will talk about wanting a garden and a nice place for the kids to grow up until the second pint when they start talking about "those people" moving in to Green Street... and if you're lucky they'll stick to that language). They still want that feeling they had when they actually knew their neighbours and weren't always scared of the Other, and going to the football - and conspicuously consuming Official Club Merchandise - is their way of holding on to it, or at least pretending to. Having the veil ripped aside like the ESL has done, and reveal that this thing they've had instead of a personality all this time is actually just a money-making machine, has to be wrenching.

(A quick aside - one of the very funniest things about moving from Upton Park to the Taxpayer Dome has been all of those pink people who scream about how hard it is to get to the London Stadium, probably the easiest stadium in the country to reach by literally any means of transport. What they *actually* mean is that they bought a lovely Barratt home somewhere in Essex in the 80s on the District or LTS line and now have to actually change trains and go a whole one extra stop. These are inevitably also the ones who scream the loudest about the crowd control to get to Stratford station and how much it delays them, and then shut the gently caress up when you ask them how long they had to wait outside Upton Park station to get on the tube.)

I'm being a little harsh on these fans of course. A lot of them *were* big objectors to the EPL back in the day too; what's happening now is that unlke then they've got the full weight and majesty of the media on their side, and it doesn't suit them to question why.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Collateral posted:

Amazon distancing itself from this dead dog.

Lol if Amazon are out it's doa surely

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

one of those Marseille finals was a title

Also this isn't really an argument against anything. Clubs are rising and falling all the time, that's kinda the point and what makes the CL great. Dortmund and Bayern have come and gone in cycles. Up until last year Inter was finishing behind Napoli for God's sake. Arsenal isn't going to qualify. That drama is what makes it great.

Like, if the self-anointed "super clubs" plan had been to form a block to hold UEFA over the fire and get better payouts to be sustainable, fine. But they aren't trying to reform the CL, it's just a bunch of rich assholes trying to remove risk and create a drama-free league that lets them hoard their wealth and contracts like proverbial dragons. They WANT to get kicked out of their leagues.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jose posted:

Lol if Amazon are out it's doa surely

Alibaba (dependent on Jack Ma being alive) or Tencent / Baidu would take it and set up an arm. Or they’d just do it themselves like the PL do for international markets.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I keep reading that owners/chairmen etc "didn't expect this reaction". That has to be nonsense right?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jippa posted:

I keep reading that owners/chairmen etc "didn't expect this reaction". That has to be nonsense right?

I mean these people are so far detached from reality in general that I can absolutely believe it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Can't speak for other lovely owners but I can tell you for certain that the Glazers neither understand or give a single poo poo about the traditions of Manchester United or football in general, outside of sacking Mourinho within 3 seasons.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

These are inevitably also the ones who scream the loudest about the crowd control to get to Stratford station and how much it delays them, and then shut the gently caress up when you ask them how long they had to wait outside Upton Park station to get on the tube.)

Err the crowd control is diabolically bad though. It genuinely does often take longer to get into Stratford with its 5000 lines than it took to get onto the single platform district line at Upton Park. And when you do get into the station it’s half empty and trains are coming through and leaving a third full.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jippa posted:

I think it's just press releases. Sky had someone on the first night who said he'd talked to a board member of one of the teams. The board members knew this would be a poo poo storm but the financials were compelling enough that they decided it was worth the blowback.

They knew drat well this would look bad. They don't care.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's kind of like when companies get so big that they literally factor in fines and litigation costs into their business model. They know they're into all kinds of shady poo poo but they really don't care as long as they can avoid too much negative PR.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also this isn't really an argument against anything. Clubs are rising and falling all the time, that's kinda the point and what makes the CL great.

I don't disagree, but he still paints an incomplete picture is my point. If we look at, say, semi-final appearances by France since 1990 this is what we get:

1990: Marseille, semi-final
1991: Marseille, finalist
1993: Marseille, champion
1994: Monaco, semi
1995: PSG, semi
1996: Nantes, semi
1998: Monaco, semi
2004: Monaco, final
2010: Lyon, semi
2017: Monaco, semi
2020: Lyon, semi; PSG, finalist

Now that isn't a particularly stunning list of CL performance but if the real list isn't particularly impressive already there's no need to make poo poo up to make it look worse.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jippa posted:

I'm sure part of it is just angling for sympathy/planting the idea in people's heads that this response is too much

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Jippa posted:

There's a level between "expecting some angry fans on twitter" and "expecting to be kicked out of the current CL, having players banned from international competitions and potentially being kicked out of their home leagues." I don't think it was necessarily easy to predict that the reaction would be this strong.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

military cervix posted:

There's a level between "expecting some angry fans on twitter" and "expecting to be kicked out of the current CL, having players banned from international competitions and potentially being kicked out of their home leagues." I don't think it was necessarily easy to predict that the reaction would be this strong.

lol it's the easiest loving thing ever to have predicted, they're a bunch of thick cunts or they're lying or both

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jippa posted:

They're dumb as hell op.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

vyelkin posted:

They're dumb as hell op.

Perez is arguing that broadcasting payouts are on the decline so I think many of these owners don't even live in reality

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I don't disagree, but he still paints an incomplete picture is my point. If we look at, say, semi-final appearances by France since 1990 this is what we get:

1990: Marseille, semi-final
1991: Marseille, finalist
1993: Marseille, champion
1994: Monaco, semi
1995: PSG, semi
1996: Nantes, semi
1998: Monaco, semi
2004: Monaco, final
2010: Lyon, semi
2017: Monaco, semi
2020: Lyon, semi; PSG, finalist

Now that isn't a particularly stunning list of CL performance but if the real list isn't particularly impressive already there's no need to make poo poo up to make it look worse.

Thats fair. UEFAs website doesnt actually say who won the final but i should have checked. I wasnt making stuff up

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

One thing to note is that the reaction hasn't been the same outside of England. Juve, Milan, and Inter supporters are largely saying "well let's just see how this plays out". So I can see how maybe the English clubs were caught off guard.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Perez is arguing that broadcasting payouts are on the decline so I think many of these owners don't even live in reality

This is true though, the next round of contracts are predicted to be much reduced (because, you know, global economy on fire and all that stuff)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

One thing to note is that the reaction hasn't been the same outside of England. Juve, Milan, and Inter supporters are largely saying "well let's just see how this plays out". So I can see how maybe the English clubs were caught off guard.

A lot of the Milan guys I follow on various social media are using the "UEFA are also a bunch of criminals so of course I don't like it but what is the alternative". I can't say I agree because it's more than just Super League vs. UEFA, but then again these are guys who's job is to have lovely takes to drum up views so who knows. What you can say is that nearly every manager outside of Pirlo, Conte and Pioli have come out against this, and even Pioli just refused to talk about it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Thats fair. UEFAs website doesnt actually say who won the final but i should have checked. I wasnt making stuff up

It's all good. I would argue that the true bottlers in that history are Lyon, who won 7 straight from 2002-2008 and in that time made zero semi finals and only three quarter appearances. There's a pretty noticeable drop off after 1998, in any case.

At any rate, back to ESL shitposting

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

A lot of the Milan guys I follow on various social media are using the "UEFA are also a bunch of criminals so of course I don't like it but what is the alternative". I can't say I agree because it's more than just Super League vs. UEFA, but then again these are guys who's job is to have lovely takes to drum up views so who knows. What you can say is that nearly every manager outside of Pirlo, Conte and Pioli have come out against this, and even Pioli just refused to talk about it.

Juventus eschewing the Champions League for a competition they can't fail to qualify for is good for fans of Pirlo's management, lol

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

greazeball posted:

lol it's the easiest loving thing ever to have predicted, they're a bunch of thick cunts or they're lying or both

They might have expected the Tories to back them. Instead the English clubs are being threatened with being buttfucked by the actual executive branch of the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

It's all good. I would argue that the true bottlers in that history are Lyon, who won 7 straight from 2002-2008 and in that time made zero semi finals and only three quarter appearances. There's a pretty noticeable drop off after 1998, in any case.

At any rate, back to ESL shitposting

There must always be 1 french bottle merchant.

A fromage fraud if you will