Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

If you're an executive, it doesn't generally matter how many people are telling you straight to your face that your idea is poo poo (or, more usually, saying "Uh, have you considered this? Seems like a flaw in your plan..."). Plenty of execs are dolts who have convinced themselves they're where they are because their ideas are always better than everyone else's. So I wouldn't be in the least surprised if some of them are shocked at this response to their brilliant idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dex_sda posted:

They might have expected the Tories to back them. Instead the English clubs are being threatened with being buttfucked by the actual executive branch of the government.

its funny because normally fifa come out extremely hard against government interference and are completely silent

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

dex_sda posted:

They might have expected the Tories to back them. Instead the English clubs are being threatened with being buttfucked by the actual executive branch of the government.

the premier league is one of the last sources of soft power that england has left, it's not that surprising to see the tories react in horror now that's under threat

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Like I'm sure they had lawyers analyse poo poo and the lawyers said "yeah under current laws you're good"

and then the guys who can write the law for half of your founders along with their opposition both say "we will literally change the law to stop this if needed"

Mr Snips posted:

the premier league is one of the last sources of soft power that england has left, it's not that surprising to see the tories react in horror now that's under threat

yeah and it's completely on brand for american owners to not consider this, boris was trump's buddy after all!!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Big Parliament threatens to block foreign player visas.

John Henry on call to 'Pool lawyers: C-can they d-do that?

Big Johnny Law: Ya ya dumb fuckin yank they can.

Henry: im ruined

*fin*

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jippa posted:

I keep reading that owners/chairmen etc "didn't expect this reaction". That has to be nonsense right?

These American guys come from the NFL, where constant public and private asskissing of the owners, no matter how incompetent, is a league mandate. The Americans probably did not expect it.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

my favorite John Henry story: he once decided that the local sports radio station that doesn't carry the Red Sox games was being too mean to him, so he went -- without telling anyone -- and demanded to be put on air with the biggest loving trolls in the state to defend himself, and got ripped for like an hour. It's great.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BUG JUG posted:

my favorite John Henry story: he once decided that the local sports radio station that doesn't carry the Red Sox games was being too mean to him, so he went -- without telling anyone -- and demanded to be put on air with the biggest loving trolls in the state to defend himself, and got ripped for like an hour. It's great.

This is the kind of stuff that these guys are gonna find in Europe, and I can't wait.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

vyelkin posted:

Also football survived for over a century without massive international TV rights income. Some clubs would absolutely face financial hardship in the short term if the PL bubble burst, whether from a super league or anything else, but ultimately the whole point of a league pyramid is that even if some clubs unsustainably overinflate their finances and collapse, other clubs can take their place at the top. Funnily enough, that is in fact the entire thing the super league is trying to avoid, because clubs like Madrid and Barcelona are terrified of going bankrupt and getting replaced.

the literal football league will not cease to exist, sure. the game will go on. that doesn't mean it'll be the same thing it used to be - definitely no longer the highest quality product in the world, especially if the breakaway league is successful. i would imagine a lot of people have absolutely no problem with that, but it still doesn't make kicking them out of the domestic leagues a simple decision by any means. i would also imagine quite a few club owners would be imploring anyone who will listen to not do it, lest they face financial extinction. even in the championship, you have teams that are spending money they don't have in an effort to reach the premier league and they will be in a pickle if the promised land disappears.

maybe if all this does occur, it would be nice if uefa/premier league/football league moved away from this model of massive windfall profits when you compete in a major competition. it just creates really terrible incentives.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 20, 2021

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Concerned Citizen posted:

the literal football league will not cease to exist, sure. the game will go on. that doesn't mean it'll be the same thing it used to be - definitely no longer the highest quality product in the world, especially if the breakaway league is successful. i would imagine a lot of people have absolutely no problem with that, but it still doesn't make kicking them out of the domestic leagues a simple decision by any means. i would imagine quite a few club owners would be imploring anyone who will listen to not do it, lest they face financial extinction. even in the championship, you have teams that are spending money they don't have in an effort to reach the premier league and they will be in a pickle if the promised land disappears. of course, i'm sure quite a few fans don't care at all if the matches no longer have the best players.

maybe if all this does occur, it would be nice if uefa/premier league/football league moved away from this model of massive windfall profits when you compete in a major competition. it just creates really terrible incentives.

And if you don’t kick them out they gently caress you over again and again and again

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

BUG JUG posted:

can't wait for them to experience this but on a continental scale

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

This is the kind of stuff that these guys are gonna find in Europe, and I can't wait.

Reminder it was not that long ago that Ed "Edward Woodward" Woodward had a big cry about the bonfire song being sung at old trafford about him and the glazers

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

And if you don’t kick them out they gently caress you over again and again and again

Ya I can understand the PL trying to be diplomatic at this point though, all things being equal they still rely on the revenue that is generated from the big teams. So they're going to leave their options open as long as they can manage before they use the nuclear option.

I do think they should have used their statement to say that if this happens they're kicking them out. I think that's the only feasible choice left to them in that situation and they lose nothing by staking that position out early.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Concerned Citizen posted:

the literal football league will not cease to exist, sure. the game will go on. that doesn't mean it'll be the same thing it used to be - definitely no longer the highest quality product in the world, especially if the breakaway league is successful. i would imagine a lot of people have absolutely no problem with that, but it still doesn't make kicking them out of the domestic leagues a simple decision by any means. i would imagine quite a few club owners would be imploring anyone who will listen to not do it, lest they face financial extinction. even in the championship, you have teams that are spending money they don't have in an effort to reach the premier league and they will be in a pickle if the promised land disappears. of course, i'm sure quite a few fans don't care at all if the matches no longer have the best players.

You've got to ignore what the specific owners of financially hosed up clubs want. Half the Championship spending 211% of their turnover on wages isn't the reason to keep the promised land intact, it's the reason to get rid of it. Reading have lost £40m each of their previous two seasons, and they were poo poo in both.

German football went through restructuring to protect itself and it's doing great.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Good guys Roma have come out against this too now

Looks like they might struggle to fill those last few places

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya I can understand the PL trying to be diplomatic at this point though, all things being equal they still rely on the revenue that is generated from the big teams. So they're going to leave their options open as long as they can manage before they use the nuclear option.

Bust them all down to tier 9 and make them go on a punishment lap of the lower leagues to redistribute some of that 'big name' revenue, meanwhile that gives the rest of the Prem a solid decade to establish themselves as big names in the meantime, so the power is somewhat distributed.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

But seriously other than the guy who was unaware of the existence of Portuguese this thread has been good. Thank you everyone.
You’re welcome for the content :smug:

This sure looks like the inevitable march of global capital, and if you all want to preserve things like culture and tradition and local working class roots, ironclad (legally mandated) local fan ownership is probably the only way. Of course that ship seems to have sailed years ago, and good luck getting governments to enact laws enforcing that now. Even if this half-baked plan falls apart the oligarchs will keep consolidating and try again later, you can be sure of that. The NFL (and MLB and NBA) makes an ungodly amount of money for owners who take literally zero risks of any sort, the world’s oligarchs know this and they’re gonna expand that model to the most popular sport in the world, fans be damned.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

These American guys come from the NFL, where constant public and private asskissing of the owners, no matter how incompetent, is a league mandate. The Americans probably did not expect it.

The American dream - not to be on the winning team, but to own it.

This is a terrible poo poo idea. But football has been dead for many years; its hard to get too upset now about a passing jackal deciding to gently caress the corpse.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Vando posted:

Bust them all down to tier 9 and make them go on a punishment lap of the lower leagues to redistribute some of that 'big name' revenue, meanwhile that gives the rest of the Prem a solid decade to establish themselves as big names in the meantime, so the power is somewhat distributed.

Arsenal somehow getting stuck in League 2 for two seasons feels right.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Pook Good Mook posted:

Arsenal somehow getting stuck in League 2 for two seasons feels right.

Given there's only 3 promotion spots it's got to happen to someone :getin:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The English FA should wait till these dumbass clubs shelve their stupid unworkable plans and then relegate them anyway for being greedy cunts.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

The English FA should wait till these dumbass clubs shelve their stupid unworkable plans and then relegate them anyway for being greedy cunts.

they should just ban Americans from owning things outside of America. Complete the work the American Revolution started.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

From the Real Madrid subreddit lol. Perez is just like [genocidal maniac]. Well intentioned, but badly planned.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

BUG JUG posted:

they should just ban Americans from owning things outside of America. Complete the work the American Revolution started.

And inside America too, just to be extra safe.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Honj Steak posted:

From the Real Madrid subreddit lol. Perez is just like [genocidal maniac]. Well intentioned, but badly planned.

:perfect:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Honj Steak posted:

lmao

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

this is the guy running liverpool right now, just getting clowned on for an hour. very relevant rn because he might turn up to BBC4 radio and try it again: https://985thesportshub.com/episodes/sports-hub-10th-anniversary-extra-the-whole-john-henry-interview-with-felger-mazz/

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BUG JUG posted:

It’s cute you think European/Middle Eastern/Asian oligarchs don’t also want to build a cartel they can control out of a massively popular sport. By all means, boot Kroenke and John Henry, at least it’ll buy you some time.

BUG JUG posted:

this is the guy running liverpool right now, just getting clowned on for an hour. very relevant rn because he might turn up to BBC4 radio and try it again: https://985thesportshub.com/episodes/sports-hub-10th-anniversary-extra-the-whole-john-henry-interview-with-felger-mazz/
For additional context on this 2011 bit, his baseball team won championships in 2004 and 2007, the former of which ended an 86 year title drought and also featured the only comeback by a team down 3-0 in a 7 game series, against the Yankees. Generating this much fan vitriol in the aftermath of that is an impressive feat (but also Boston sports fans are the worst).

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 20, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Perez Was Right

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

Except Thanos did nothing wrong.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Please excuse my naive questions, but:
- Why are so many clubs in debt?
- Is it really not possible for clubs to continue to exist based on matchday tickets (assuming no covid) and merch?
- Is this in itself not damning for modern football?

e: i'm mainly thinking here about the non big 6 sides, thinking if the big 6 break away - why are they so hosed?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm pretty sure they expected this kind of back lash they just want the money more and know the plastics won't tune into the European leagues without them. Fundamentally the domestic leagues can't kick them out because that's already been ruled as anti competitive and with TV rights up for renewal they'll get hack poo poo without the famous teams. Only realistic option to stop this is fan ownership.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The DPRK posted:

- Is it really not possible for clubs to continue to exist based on matchday tickets (assuming no covid) and merch?

e: i'm mainly thinking here about the non big 6 sides, thinking if the big 6 break away - why are they so hosed?

- cunty owners, wage bills etc
- no
- yes

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

CyberPingu posted:

- stupid investing and cunty owners
- no
- yes

Do the numbers just not add up, when it comes to salaries, stadium costs vs their income at the turnstile?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
mmm, I can’t wait to listen to the Red Sox bababooie radio show

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

kingturnip posted:

I've already more or less stopped watching football because VAR has ruined the game. I feel like lots of people have done the same or are approaching the same point, for the same reason, as me.

I've stopped watching because all the bars are shut and tv subscriptions are a ripoff i don't want to pay more for on top of already existing subscriptions and non-dodgy streams that wont install malware or bitcoin miners are hard to find. I catch motd or other highlights now and then. Not sure my experience is that unique either, they've really killed the desire/ability of lots of people to watch

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Should just let them go ahead, but tell them they can't use the area names, or stay in the city or indeed the UK.

Oh and you can call it The Soccer Union, and any player who signs for you becomes ineligible to be registered as an Association Football player or coach.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

The DPRK posted:

Do the numbers just not add up, when it comes to salaries, stadium costs vs their income at the turnstile?

Here's a great graph of revenue for Liverpool from 2008 to 2020: https://www.statista.com/statistics/251158/revenue-of-liverpool-fc-by-stream/

Napkin math says matchday revenues were only 15% of the revenue from 2019-2020.

Tickets and matchday sales probably pay the admin staff and keep the lights on at the stadium, not much else.

Collateral posted:

Should just let them go ahead, but tell them they can't use the area names, or stay in the city or indeed the UK.

Oh and you can call it The Soccer Union, and any player who signs for you becomes ineligible to be registered as an Association Football player or coach.

Really funny moment on a Liverpool fan podcast/channel yesterday was a viewer question asking what's stopping Liverpool or any team from just relocating to somewhere else. The 3 "hosts" all stopped, mouths open, and they were all like, well poo poo, nothing I guess.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 20, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The DPRK posted:

Most clubs money comes from TV rights and sponsorships.

Anfield for example seats about 45k. So if you sell each ticket for £100 and sell out each week you would get £9m per month assuming 2 home games.

Liverpool's wage bill is £139m per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The DPRK posted:

Man Utd are in massive debt because american owners bought the club through a leveraged buyout, making the club pay for the privilege of being owned by the cunts. As a result, the club has lost somewhere between £1-1.5billion over the past 15 years financing debt and paying dividends.