Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Dark Knight is boring and over-long and people have convinced themselves it was better than it actually was just because Heath Ledger died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Gripweed posted:

There is something insidious about "go to therapy" becoming a universal piece of advice when most people would get a greater improvement to their mental health if they just had IRL friends and a sense of stability in their lives.

That is the end goal of therapy. Or did you mean financial stability?

Dross has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Apr 19, 2021

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

christmas boots posted:

It’s the same thing

cheese on toast is not the same thing as spaghetti with tomato basil sauce

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sweevo posted:

The Dark Knight is boring and over-long and people have convinced themselves it was better than it actually was just because Heath Ledger died.

the dark knights a pretty good movie, the dark knight rises is overly long and not great

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Badactura posted:

cheese on toast is not the same thing as spaghetti with tomato basil sauce

No, Mac and Cheese

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Spaghetti is the worst size of noodle. Thinner noodles like capellini and thicker noodles like linguini (yes; I know they’re also oblong) are both better.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Bucatini is the superior Long Noodle

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I think having noisy neighbors is nice. It's soothing to hear people going about their lives. My favorite neighbor plays bass terribly at 2am and I love it cause it clearly makes him happy. I would hate it if I knew someone lived next to me and I didn't hear them making a racket sometimes.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

christmas boots posted:

Bucatini is the superior Long Noodle

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sweevo posted:

The same, except "every Nirvana record except In Utero"* and "Kurt Cobain"

*Incesticide has good songs, but they're written by either The Vaselines or Devo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's actually extremely popular to poo poo on nirvana

the "bands to poo poo on to look cool" have gone from beatles -> nirvana -> radiohead, so you're a little behind

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I sincerely without irony like how these forums are a funny little internet time capsule where people still love saying "extremely popular thing is bad actually"

I feel like that died off over the years but you can always come here to find hot takes like music you like sucks and cheese is bad

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I sincerely without irony like how these forums are a funny little internet time capsule where people still love saying "extremely popular thing is bad actually"

I feel like that died off over the years but you can always come here to find hot takes like music you like sucks and cheese is bad

How else will people know that they’re better then the hoi polloi if they don’t post about it on an obscure comedy forum from 2002?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
In Utero is a really, really good record, my friends. I have, however, been making GBS threads on Radiohead since 1996, with a brief break to enjoy Kid A, which is pretty good.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

christmas boots posted:

No, Mac and Cheese

Oh, I was confused.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Kind of spurred on by a discussion of HOAs in the Americana thread, but rather than derail a good thread I thought I'd put it here.

I can't stand the trend that talks up the importance of re-embracing community spirit and values, especially on the left. To me, it's the same kind of delusional thinking that causes small 'c' conservatives to idolise some perfect vision of village/suburban life as the pinnacle of living. I would rather engage with faceless national bureaucracy than any kind of local community system.

I'm probably twisted beyond belief, but I love the impersonal and anonymous nature of living in a big city. Living in a small community where everyone knows each other and you're forced to interface with the local community in order to get along is like a nightmare to me. The petty tyranny and busybody nature of local politics is complete anathema to me, and I'd rather suffer all the drawbacks of the alternative than deal with it.

It's me, I'm the hopeless drone brain-poisoned by global capitalism.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jeza posted:

Kind of spurred on by a discussion of HOAs in the Americana thread, but rather than derail a good thread I thought I'd put it here.

I can't stand the trend that talks up the importance of re-embracing community spirit and values, especially on the left. To me, it's the same kind of delusional thinking that causes small 'c' conservatives to idolise some perfect vision of village/suburban life as the pinnacle of living. I would rather engage with faceless national bureaucracy than any kind of local community system.

I'm probably twisted beyond belief, but I love the impersonal and anonymous nature of living in a big city. Living in a small community where everyone knows each other and you're forced to interface with the local community in order to get along is like a nightmare to me. The petty tyranny and busybody nature of local politics is complete anathema to me, and I'd rather suffer all the drawbacks of the alternative than deal with it.

Humans need community. We need people who can watch on our kids when we need to run an errand or check in on us if we aren't feeling well or just to talk to. That what people on the left mean when they talk about community, knowing and caring about the people near you. Not the bad suburban stuff.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that just isn't going to work anymore

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There’s absolutely a connection between mental health and the increased atomization of society and it’s not a great one

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

christmas boots posted:

There’s absolutely a connection between mental health and the increased atomization of society and it’s not a great one

Also whatever magic sauce we lose when we are not part of a community is not replaced when we use social media

Like the people who starved eating rabbit or people lost at sea who drink sea water

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

hawowanlawow posted:

it's actually extremely popular to poo poo on nirvana

the "bands to poo poo on to look cool" have gone from beatles -> nirvana -> radiohead, so you're a little behind

Depends on how old you are. Young millennials and Zoomers loving love Nirvana.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

christmas boots posted:

I mean the funny thing is, I agree with you. Although I do also attribute it significantly to technology supplanting actual social interaction. But community, by its nature, is both inclusionary and exclusionary. I think you'll find that wherever community is strong, it often goes hand in hand with prejudice in one form or another. My 'community' is the friends I've chosen for myself, not who I happen to live near geographically. The drive to return to how communities 'used to be' to combat atomisation is an almost reactionary/regressive instinct in my books. Obviously I figure I'm in the minority with this sentiment, which is why I felt this thread was the best place for it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

When people talk about wanting a strong sense of local community then 95% of the time it's a dog-whistle for "...and keep 'those' people out"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

"having friends is code for racism" is definitely a new one

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Sweevo posted:

When people talk about wanting a strong sense of local community then 95% of the time it's a dog-whistle for "...and keep 'those' people out"

I think it's highly context-dependent. If it's about crime rates and how people used to be able to leave their doors unlocked, then that's probably it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I don't want to be part of the trump 'n jebus community that surrounds me.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The problem is that how much of the feeling of "oh I like my alone time and not being part of a community in real life" is just us stockholming ourselves to get used to something that would feel bad in general. How much of any of our behaviors aren't just trying to make the best of a bad situation?

PHUO:
People who want to be completely outside of communities are not "better" than those who wish to be part of them. But being part of a community does not make you better than those outside of it.

Oh and also one of the saddest lines in music comes from They Might Be Giants singing "Everbody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful". Not sure if that is hugely unpopular but still.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Apr 20, 2021

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Byzantine posted:

I don't want to be part of the trump 'n jebus community that surrounds me.

Yeah, we gotta conquer those fucks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Jeza posted:

yeah i actively like bureaucracy for this reason

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i liked it in japan: the bureaucracy is overstaffed and really fussy which is annoying sometimes but everything basically works well. theres local stuff like sorting garbage and whatnot that you have to do with your neighbors but you dont have to like, invite them over and make friends with them if you dont want to. in holland if you have to do things with local people theres an expected social element to it and if you dont like the person you are basically boned because you have to hang out with them now, and people here have this really annoying habit of coming over unannounced expecting coffee. i hate this.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

just because you can find recipes for it for czech people to make it to prank their friends doesnt mean anyone actually eats it

I'm still trying to figure out if this is masterful Shibawanako trolling or if they don't know that .ch is for Confederatio Helvetica aka the land where enormous bowls of melted cheese is the national dish

Shibawanko posted:

i liked it in japan: the bureaucracy is overstaffed and really fussy which is annoying sometimes but everything basically works well. theres local stuff like sorting garbage and whatnot that you have to do with your neighbors but you dont have to like, invite them over and make friends with them if you dont want to. in holland if you have to do things with local people theres an expected social element to it and if you dont like the person you are basically boned because you have to hang out with them now, and people here have this really annoying habit of coming over unannounced expecting coffee. i hate this.

also sounds like you'd like the US of A more than the Netherlands

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Apr 20, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Your posts make more and more sense as you keep posting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fyodor Dostoyevsky posted:

“I love humanity . . . but I can’t help being surprised at myself: the more I love humanity in general, the less I love men in particular, I mean, separately, as separate individuals. In my dreams . . . I am very often passionately determined to save humanity, and I might quite likely have sacrificed my life for my fellow-creatures, if for some reason it has been suddenly demanded of me, and yet I’m quite incapable of living with anyone in one room for two days together, and I know that from experience. As soon as anyone comes close to me, his personality begins to oppress my vanity and restrict my freedom. I’m capable of hating the best men in twenty-four hours: one because he sits too long over his dinner, another because he has a cold in the head and keeps blowing his nose. But, on the other hand, it invariably happened that the more I hated men individually, the more ardent became my love for humanity at large.”

This quote hit me like a brick when I read it, and I feel it applies to a lot of the people in this world currently

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Behind the Bastards sucks, and absolutely jumped the shark when it became "Robert Evans' lovely biography of someone from right now, filtered through the lens of Portland, Oregon, the world's most important and beloved warzone" instead of "lol stalin loved cowboy movies"

Which isn't even recent, it was about the loving Erik Prince episode two years ago or whenever that was.

I especially loving hate how he keeps introducing it with his dipshit other famous rich podcast hosts/friend like "aaaah, fellow dipshit, you've never heard about Benito Mussolini have you? And they cartoonishly go "NO WHO IS THAT, IS THAT A BABY MURDERER???"

And now he's a loving twitter personality screaming about how every city in the US is about to have "the battle of Portland" (there wasn't a battle in Portland)

He's got a Cassandra complex on the level of our own Prester John or Jackson or whoever that poster was.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Apr 21, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Earl grey tea is the best tea

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I could tell behind the bastards was gonna be awful the second I saw the dude was in journalism.

And the of course he started posting on the forums so the dick sucking brigade had to jump on.

Whenever even the most minor "celebrity" posts it's pathetic to see people line up to beat them off. Look how much worse the paradox thread became the second devs aside from wiz started posting, or how pathetic it looks whenever someone begs rope kid for clarification on a new vegas issue as if it wasn't a game created by hundreds of individuals.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Earl grey tea is the best tea

Tea loving sucks

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Prester Jane.

Betting on the worst thing happening is usually the winning bet if we look at politics, less so if we look at purely interpersonal things like going to a party or going for a walk.

Gaius Marius posted:

This quote hit me like a brick when I read it, and I feel it applies to a lot of the people in this world currently

People who want to try there best also find that reality doesn't match up to what they want. The obvious fault line is either that reality is mistaken or they are. Most people who choose the latter end up depressed and saddened. The former is chosen by either the truly vicious or those who are remembered very well by history.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Prester Jane.

Betting on the worst thing happening is usually the winning bet if we look at politics, less so if we look at purely interpersonal things like going to a party or going for a walk.

Completely untrue. Your baseline is way off. Do you see Nazi germany still around, the USSR, the confederacy, rhodesia, south africa?

Things could be unimaginably worse. The very fact that we haven't succumbed to a nuclear holocaust is testament to humanities desire to live in a better world.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gaius Marius posted:

Tea loving sucks

Any recommendations for a day drink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vodka