Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

You read a sentence that had two separate "mays" in it, both of which individually need to occur for a verdict to be overturned, and somehow jumped to "definitely will."

The person you're replying to made it really clear that Waters didn't do something that will cause the trial to be overturned, just that it may be something that comes up in appeal.

I didn't say is definitely would, I said it could. But the root of what I was trying to get to, was simply that regardless of the Jury deliberations. This whole situation is far from over.

Jury members are driving through Riot's to get to court every day. Members of Congress are calling for increased action in confronting the reality of racism in American Justice. It is hard to argue that circumstances don't sway a Jury. And when the burden to proof is on the prosecution, it makes for a difficult reality.There is a saying "Better that 10 guilty men go free, then one innocent man be punished." The reality of that understanding of law leads to a poo poo situation were sometimes a monster goes free. And I think there is a real possibility we are about to witness the consequences of that.

Gunthen fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Tell me more about how horrible LA is, while we discuss the "violent" rhetoric of this "low IQ individual" Maxine Waters.

Love to watch SA threads basically turn into Trump tweets because right wing media started blasting bad faith arguments about what she says.

I'd still like to know about the consequences of speaking badly about elected officials while visiting their districts.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Gunthen posted:

I didn't say is definitely would, I said if could. But the root of what I was trying to get to, was simply that regardless of the Jury deliberations. This whole situation is far from over.

Jury members are driving through Riot's to get to court every day. Members of Congress are calling for increased action in confronting the reality of racism in American Justice. It is hard to argue that circumstances don't sway a Jury. And when the burden to proof is on the prosecution, it makes for a difficult reality.There is a saying "Better that 10 guilty men go free, then one innocent man be punished." The reality of that understanding of law leads to a poo poo situation were sometimes a monster goes free. And I think there is a real possibility we are about to witness the consequences of that.

:confused: Where are these riots and why haven't I seen them when I've been biking through downtown these past few weeks?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheBuilder posted:

I'd still like to know about the consequences of speaking badly about elected officials while visiting their districts.

Maxine Waters is very well liked in LA. You'd probably make a bunch of people pissed off.

I'd still like to know more about how stupid this black woman is.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I, for one, look forward to the next annual now bimonthly American race riots.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Kalit posted:

:confused: Where are these riots and why haven't I seen them when I've been biking through downtown these past few weeks?

https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...olice-encounter

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/12/us/protests-today-daunte-wright-minneapolis

There have been protests in the Minneapolis Area after the Daunte Wright shooting in the last week.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jaxyon posted:

Tell me more about how horrible LA is, while we discuss the "violent" rhetoric of this "low IQ individual" Maxine Waters.

Love to watch SA threads basically turn into Trump tweets because right wing media started blasting bad faith arguments about what she says.

You're being super defensive about Congresswoman Waters.

This isn't a case of two extremes. Good people can do dumb things and it doesn't change the good they've done. Similarly, people can disagree with and criticize what someone did and it doesn't mean they're now cancelled.

What Ms. Waters said wasn't dumb or even wrong. However, the timing of her statement was ill thought out. This was the day before a jury was about to be sequestered for deliberation and (however small it was) she gave the defense lawyer of a racist murderer a solid piece to use in an appeal to a potential guilty verdict.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Gunthen posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/12/us/protests-today-daunte-wright-minneapolis

There have been protests in the Minneapolis Area after the Daunte Wright shooting in the last week.

The question still stands, where are the riots?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gunthen posted:

Those are protests. Riots are like what happened on 1/6.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Gunthen posted:

Brooklyn Center is not even in the same county as Minneapolis. And the looting/burning only occurred a couple of nights, not during the day, mostly in Brooklyn Center (a handful of stores got looted in Minneapolis). The rest were protests that the police decided to escalate by firing tear gas/etc.

All of the jurors live in Hennepin county. None of them were driving through any of it. Certainly not every day.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the far right already tried to organize an intimidation rally against maxine waters in her home district in LA

It didn't go anywhere, to put it lightly. Also there was some great footage of local grandpas intercepting every out of place looking old white guy in an rv or pickup that was showing up and strongly suggesting they go do oathkeeper stuff literally anywhere else.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-maxine-waters-protest-20180719-story.html

also lol if your lovely militia gets derailed by a few grandpas with baseball bats

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 20, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Velocity Raptor posted:

This isn't a case of two extremes. Good people can do dumb things and it doesn't change the good they've done. Similarly, people can disagree with and criticize what someone did and it doesn't mean they're now cancelled.

What Ms. Waters said wasn't dumb or even wrong. However, the timing of her statement was ill thought out. This was the day before a jury was about to be sequestered for deliberation and (however small it was) she gave the defense lawyer of a racist murderer a solid piece to use in an appeal to a potential guilty verdict.

I'm being super upset because a bunch of people are buying into rightwing rhetoric in an attempt to blame an "angry black woman" for the racism that's about to happen.

And using much of the same arguments that a right wing poster would make about her.

Basically:

CommieGIR posted:

There's been plenty before, during, and will be more after the trial to frame as "Grounds for Appeal", the entire point is muddying the waters by arguing that legitimate community outrage by community members and leaders is somehow an escape rope for Police who commit violent actions.

Don't play into it, dude.

Once again we have "I couldn't be manipulated by racist talking points, I'm not racist! I'm exceptional!" at play.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Velocity Raptor posted:

If right wingers hadn't latched on to Waters' comments, they would have found something else to use as an excuse for why Chauvin should not be held accountable. They're desperate to make sure a white cop is never held responsible for murdering minorities; not to see justice done or to stop a riot.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't been reading the thread and I came to ask a question so I apologise if this has been covered in depth already:

Does the jury have some weird set of instructions, similar to what I've heard juries being told in the past, like 'you're not here to decide anything other than <very narrow definition or set of circumstances>'

Like I heard (probably in a legal podcast) some story about a jury that didn't want to have some guy punished for doing a crime they thought was basically a bullshit non-crime, but they were instructed that all they were there to do was to decide whether or not the person did the thing, and they weren't allowed to say the person did not do the thing.

I know that sounds really dumb. But I'm basically asking: Do the public think the jury is, for instance, deciding whether or not the police officer was being bad, but in fact they're actually deciding <some other weird set of legal circumstances that most people have no idea about>?

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Kalit posted:

Brooklyn Center is not even in the same county as Minneapolis. And the looting/burning only occurred a couple of nights, not during the day, mostly in Brooklyn Center (a handful of stores got looted in Minneapolis). The rest were protests that the police decided to escalate by firing tear gas/etc.

All of the jurors live in Hennepin county. None of them were driving through any of it. Certainly not every day.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...4b-a377dab0b87f

Protests are happening at the Hennepin County Government Center..

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

redreader posted:

I haven't been reading the thread and I came to ask a question so I apologise if this has been covered in depth already:

Does the jury have some weird set of instructions, similar to what I've heard juries being told in the past, like 'you're not here to decide anything other than <very narrow definition or set of circumstances>'

Like I heard (probably in a legal podcast) some story about a jury that didn't want to have some guy punished for doing a crime they thought was basically a bullshit non-crime, but they were instructed that all they were there to do was to decide whether or not the person did the thing, and they weren't allowed to say the person did not do the thing.

I know that sounds really dumb. But I'm basically asking: Do the public think the jury is, for instance, deciding whether or not the police officer was being bad, but in fact they're actually deciding <some other weird set of legal circumstances that most people have no idea about>?

Well there were very specific and lengthy instructions to the jury about what each charge means and what is required to satisfy it. Sometimes in murder/manslaughter cases that can be important, if the jury is in agreement about the facts of the case but are deadlocked on something like intent or blatant disregard for life.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gunthen posted:

Are you gonna tell us where the riots are?

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

mdemone posted:

Are you gonna tell us where the riots are?

I get where your coming from. Riots was the wrong term to use. I was referring to the defense arguing that the jury was tainted by external events. And that even is there is a guilty verdict. It will likely be appealed.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

america is just a different place now, i had to fight my way through fifteen nonstop back to back riots to stop by the pharmacy this morning, glad i bought the MegaCity One package on my new hoverbike

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

redreader posted:

IIRC, the judge went over their instructions at before he sequestered them on Friday. Basically they just have a form that has each of the 3 things Chauvin is convicted of (with explanations of what each specifically means) with a simple "Guilty/Not Guilty" check box underneath.

The jury is to come to a conclusion for each of the counts and check whether Chauvin is guilty on any of the counts individually, and the head juror marks it down.

The jury could've been the ones deciding the punishment as well, however Chauvin waived that right and instead the judge will be determining the punishment depending on the verdicts the jury returns.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If right wingers hadn't latched on to Waters' comments, they would have found something else to use as an excuse for why Chauvin should not be held accountable.

Since white people, even ones who think they're not racist, will readily accept negative consequences for black women, there's a reason they're hammering on this.

And it's actually Maxine's fault because

When people started going off I was like "holy poo poo Waters must have really said some serious poo poo, go her!" and then I read it and "oh..."

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

redreader posted:

You can hear Judge Cahill read the full jury instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVq9SFwSmao&t=4024s. I think what happens is the prosecution and defense can push for some specific wording in the jury instructions and that Judge Cahill went with the prosecution's version (I think I heard that from WaPo correspondents).

When I was listening to it, it sounded favorable for the prosecution. For example, one section he read was that the jury does not have to find that Chauvin showed intent on breaking the law, just intent that he used force on Mr. Floyd.

Gunthen posted:

Protests are not riots

Jaxyon posted:

Since white people, even ones who think they're not racist, will readily accept negative consequences for black women, there's a reason they're hammering on this.

When people started going off I was like "holy poo poo Waters must have really said some serious poo poo, go her!" and then I read it and "oh..."

Has anyone ITT said that any appeal hearing that Chauvin wins will be Waters' fault? I think she shouldn't have made that public statement, but any future appeals win definitely won't be her fault. I'll probably mostly blame the city with them making the settlement, along with its amount, public during jury selection.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 20, 2021

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Kalit posted:

Brooklyn Center is in Hennepin county. Havn't seen any rioting but drat if the entire metro is a tinderbox right now. Everyone is on edge and if Chauvin isn't convicted I fear that the city is going to burn.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Absolutely. The political cartoon thread has three or four cartoons back to back that accuse Waters of "inflaming" the situation with her rhetoric.

It's clear that if Chauvin walks and there is a riot, they're going to accuse her of inciting it. They get to bothsides about Trump's incitement of January 6th and get a ready made excuse for why cops should continue to have no respect for Black lives ("Maybe they would not be so forceful if those people didn't destroy their cities!").

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kalit posted:

Protests are not riots

Unfortunately Police and even Government are blurring those lines for their own benefit.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

karthun posted:

Brooklyn Center is in Hennepin county. Havn't seen any rioting but drat if the entire metro is a tinderbox right now. Everyone is on edge and if Chauvin isn't convicted I fear that the city is going to burn.

Huh, I'll be damned. For some reason I was thinking it was in Anoka county, I feel stupid. Thanks for the correction!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Overturning jury fact decisions on appeal is traditionally a very high bar to clear. What this jury decides is reasonable/unreasonable is likely going to determine the facts the appeals process will be operating under. Appeals are about law usually (stuff like 'based on these facts, the applicable sentencing range is X instead of Y').

Law things that affect how the jury decided facts that can potentially require a new trial (i.e. 'this evidence should/should not have been admitted', 'this jury instruction was wrong', ...) get evaluated as harmless error or not, where they have to have had a reasonable chance of changing the outcome of the trial. Someone on TV saying people should keep protesting if Chauvin gets off would not likely meet that standard*. Jurors have been told not to be watching media, and told that even if they did accidentally see/hear about it they should not consider it during their deliberations. Chauvin's appeal would have to convince an appeals court that it is reasonably likely that the jury ignored their instructions and that that single TV statement flipped the outcome. Appeals courts generally do not like to redo jury trials.

*in a non-cop trial

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Gunthen posted:

There is a saying "Better that 10 guilty men go free, then one innocent man be punished." The reality of that understanding of law leads to a poo poo situation were sometimes a monster goes free. And I think there is a real possibility we are about to witness the consequences of that.
The system doesn't tilt in favor of the innocent though. Innocent people are punished routinely, up to execution. We have a justice system that both punishes the innocent and lets the guilty go free, biased on lines of class and color. Which is exactly why we are here, the injustice has become obvious and intolerable.

So I really wouldn't parrot that old canard, it just excuses and ignores obvious injustice.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Kalit posted:

As Ravenfood stated, the may in the statement is carrying a lot of weight. Which is why I stated that this just meant to bring it up in appeals. That's far, far different than claiming Judge Cahill saying it is cause for the case to get overturned, like you previously stated.

Defense was arguing for a mistrial because of the statement. Judge shot that down, but he's not the person appeals will be going through. He can't and shouldn't be preemptively ruling on that.

There's a reading of the judge's comments that's pretty sarcastic, in a "go ask your dad if he'll let you skip school tomorrow if the moon explodes" sort of way.

It's the defense's job to open avenues for appeals, so in a weird way if they didn't ask there might be an argument that they weren't doing their job properly?

Law can be fukkin weird, and almost always involves context that both Maxine's comments and the judge's response aren't being given.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah I read it the same way. Judge was telling Nelson that he "may" bring that up on appeal, as in "you will have the opportunity to", same as he'd be allowed to bring up any other possible avenues.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Since white people, even ones who think they're not racist, will readily accept negative consequences for black women

I didn't think her comments came at a great time but haven't really formed an opinion beyond that. I guess I'm racist now, though.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

kolby posted:

I didn't think her comments came at a great time but haven't really formed an opinion beyond that. I guess I'm racist now, though.

When was a "good time" for her to express her feelings about oppression and death she lives with every single day?

quote:

I guess I'm racist now, though.

look at this poo poo

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jaxyon posted:

When was a "good time" for her to express her feelings about oppression and death she lives with every single day?

If it was just her expressing "her feelings about oppression and death she lives with every single day" then it wouldn't have come up. Instead she said publicly that if Chauvin wasn't given a guilty verdict then people need to march on the streets and not back down.

Again, WHAT she said isn't the problem. However, saying specifically this the literal day before a jury for the Chauvin trial (who she called out specifically, mind you) was to begin deliberation could be used (and is!) in the appeals case that there was coercion for the jury to reach a guilty verdict.

If she said this after the jury began deliberation (when the jury is sequestered, so they can't see that she made this statement) no one would be having this discussion.

It unnecessarily gives ammo to the defense to appeal a potential guilty verdict. Yes, the defense was going to appeal anyway, but giving them more grievances to add to the appeal doesn't help and could actually undo justice.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Velocity Raptor posted:

If she said this after the jury began deliberation (when the jury is sequestered, so they can't see that she made this statement) no one would be having this discussion.

HAH

quote:

It unnecessarily gives ammo to the defense to appeal a potential guilty verdict. Yes, the defense was going to appeal anyway, but giving them more grievances to add to the appeal doesn't help and could actually undo justice.

She said basically nothing wrong. It's racism, OP.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Nothing Maxine said wasn't be said by everyone else marching in protest. So, its entirely about racist framing around protests being used to fuel legal justification for appeals/mistrial.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Jaxyon posted:

HAH

She said basically nothing wrong. It's racism, OP.

I never said that what she said was wrong. In fact, I literally said the opposite.

Velocity Raptor posted:

If it was just her expressing "her feelings about oppression and death she lives with every single day" then it wouldn't have come up. Instead she said publicly that if Chauvin wasn't given a guilty verdict then people need to march on the streets and not back down.

Again, WHAT she said isn't the problem. However, saying specifically this the literal day before a jury for the Chauvin trial (who she called out specifically, mind you) was to begin deliberation could be used (and is!) in the appeals case that there was coercion for the jury to reach a guilty verdict.

Like, I get you're upset that cops disproportionately target BIPOC. I am too, that's why it's frustrating that this now is a factor in the appeals filing.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Is there any correlation with waiting longer and longer times for the jury verdict and an increased probability of a hung jury? It feels like one of those things that kind of "seems" like it should be the case, but it could be just as likely or even more than likely that the minority on the jury caves.

Just the idea that this dude could get out of murdering a helpless person in cold blood on tape is sending my anxiety through the ceiling

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Verdict incoming in the next hour and a half
https://twitter.com/michaelhayes/status/1384589957524860929

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Are people actually buying into Fox News/Breitbart poo poo pushed out about Maxine Waters comments? They were like, a nothing burger of comments that hasn't been said by 1,000 other protestors and politicians. She is just their scary black lady they boogaboo about lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Just another source that will probably update
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1384590349994106881?s=20