Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Tottenham Hotspurs still in is all that matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

incredible show, what a ride, thanks for the laughs

I'll be back in 5 years for Superleague 2: this time we mean it!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Supposedly the Chels players told the club they wouldn't play for it anymore if they got banned from internationals.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Real Madrid: "Whelp only one thing to do now"

A phone begins ringing in Napoli

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

vyelkin posted:

Supposedly the Chels players told the club they wouldn't play for it anymore if they got banned from internationals.

Yeah this seems like the easiest path out

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

shirts and skins posted:

Hopefully that's not just the Sun making poo poo up

that's primarily about Liverpool

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

rear end cobra posted:

On the plus side for Spurs, they no longer will be 12th forever in this superleague

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Real Madrid: "Whelp only one thing to do now"

A phone begins ringing in Napoli

"Yes, this is the Camorra, what can we do for you?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Which other English team is owned by Americans, Spaniards or Italians? Watford? Get them on the phone stat

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
FFS only just noticed that was a Sun link

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rear end cobra posted:

11 of the 12 teams pull out and Spurs somehow still finish second in the inaugural European Super League

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Burnley is owned by an American investment vehicle. They have been some of the people talking sense.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
UEFA ready to make concessions to the traitors to get them back in the fold, kicking the super league can a couple of years down the road.

If this doesn't ruin at least one of the twelve I'll be gutted.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Flayer posted:

Which other English team is owned by Americans, Spaniards or Italians? Watford? Get them on the phone stat

Burnley

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also I'm copy/pasting this from the Guardian as a counter to all the fuckers who say "oh well the super league would appeal to Asian fans so therefore..."

quote:

The view from India: “I’ve seen a lot of people saying ‘The fans living in Asia or Africa will LOVE seeing Real Madrid playing Manchester City every week for 23 years’ as a point against the ESL,” writes Arvasu Kulkarni. “Well, that could not be further from the truth. I live in India, and watch Manchester United on the telly every chance I get.

“I love that club as much as the people who live in Manchester and are lucky enough to be able to go to Old Trafford every week. I shed tears of joy when Scott McTominay scored the winner in the Derby last March that were just as real as the screams of joy that rung in Old Trafford. And I was just as disgusted and heartbroken when the announcement was made on Sunday. And it wasn’t just me. Everyone I know who watches football hates this idea. We’re a group of people who may never even get to see our teams (like United, Barcelona or Chelsea) play live in Europe and we still despise this idea.

“We don’t know what it feels like to be a season-ticket holder, or what it is like to go to your first game with your father. But we know the ESL’s only aim is to destroy football. The reason we stay up to 12:30am to watch United play out a soulless 0-0 draw against Real Sociedad is because we know what football is about, even if we live thousands of miles away, and we know that the ESL forgets all that. It forgets you, the fans in England, and it forgets us, the fans who stay up late into the night to watch the teams you built only for us to be derided as ‘plastic’ and ‘not real fans’ in the ESL conversation.” Thanks Arvasu.

because gently caress anybody, from posters in this thread up to and including florentino perez, who thinks fans from around the world are easily distracted by some new shiny thing and don't reject this as the greedy bullshit that it is

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/actualitebarca/status/1384569022923120652?s=21

my catalan is poor but "barcelona will not enter the superleague without approval from the general fan assembly. it's their decision, it's their club"

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Showing up right at the end. The story of my life.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

sassassin posted:

UEFA ready to make concessions to the traitors to get them back in the fold, kicking the super league can a couple of years down the road.

If this doesn't ruin at least one of the twelve I'll be gutted.

What more would you have them take from Arsenal?

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

rip super league you never scored

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

dex_sda posted:

my catalan is poor but "barcelona will not enter the superleague without approval from the general fan assembly. it's their decision, it's their club"

Ya this is them taking the cowards way out just like Chelsea. Chelsea blames the players, Barca is putting it on the fans.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

Bullshit clickbait article

:smug:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Maybe the opposite of the Mansour/Abromovich is the right side after all?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Thank you for making the right decision Man City even if for the wrong reasons. Although from what I read Chelsea and Man City felt pressured into this becuase they didn't want to miss out so them being the first two to bail seems right.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

So, see you all in 5 years for another go?

bawfuls posted:

incredible show, what a ride, thanks for the laughs

I'll be back in 5 years for Superleague 2: this time we mean it!

Yep

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

dex_sda posted:

Is catalan seriously just french?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vyelkin posted:

because gently caress anybody, from posters in this thread up to and including florentino perez, who thinks fans from around the world are easily distracted by some new shiny thing and don't reject this as the greedy bullshit that it is
marketing and business people constantly think that foreigners from poor countries are clueless rubes who will spend money on any old poo poo if you spin it right, which is of course a bit true but only in the sense that there are some of those people in every country

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1384572320346382336

hahahh

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

incredible

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ilmucche posted:

it’s a french tweeter

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Real Madrid just needs to find 11 other random teams to make Super League 2

Real Madrid
LA Galaxy
Chivas (Mexico suspended pro/rel)
Create a team based in Dubai

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ilmucche posted:

oh that is french lol my bad, but yeah they're similar so I just assumed. it makes an rear end of u and me!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

lmao

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

marketing and business people constantly think that foreigners from poor countries are clueless rubes who will spend money on any old poo poo if you spin it right, which is of course a bit true but only in the sense that there are some of those people in every country

"asia is big so there are many rubes" is what I assume the marketing logic is here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:sickos:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
lols all around, you love to see it

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This is bullshit there had better be repercussions for these cunts

Spoiler: there will not be

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
If the ESL fails before it gets off the ground are Madrid/Barca going to appeal directly to UEFA for more money? The way I've been reading this is that clubs are doing this out of either exceptional greed or desperation due to current debt loads.

Surely their next move is to say "give us more money or else some of the most popular clubs among plastics will fail depriving UEFA of the same money"

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Feeling empty and disappointed the lols didn't last longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1384572136891854859?s=21