Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Looks like you'll be able to get the new remote by itself for $59.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought a nice Sony 4k/120hz TV so new ATV is a day one purchase for me.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So if I don’t do any gaming, is there any reason to upgrade from the old ATV4K to the new one?

4K HFR probably means the new one has HDMI 2.1, right? But since my TV doesn’t support that, it’s meaningless for me at the moment.

I guess I’ll see how much the new remote costs on its own, and then decide if it’s worth it. I actually don’t hate the old remote, but the new one definitely looks like an upgrade.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hopefully you can get just the remote, my 4k are trucking along fine just hate the current remote.

Well poo poo should have refreshed. Great news.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

OldSenileGuy posted:

So if I don’t do any gaming, is there any reason to upgrade from the old ATV4K to the new one?
I haven't dove deep into all the new features, but most likely not at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think if your TV doesn't do 120hz and you already have a 4K there's no reason at all to upgrade since you can just get the remote by itself.

E: God I didn't even notice they added a loving standby button to the remote, whoever was designing this thing really wanted to give Jony Ive's piece of poo poo as many middle fingers as possible.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So the new remote is only slightly thicker (3mm diff), 12mm longer, and actually more skinny (35mm wide versus 38mm on the old remote).

It’s 18g heavier for anyone who can tell the difference.

Honestly, I hoping for something less prone to slip between the couch cushions. And also maybe a locator sound?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Call me crazy, but I think Apple is going to merge the Apple TV and Mac mini sometime in the next maybe 2 or 3 years. It seemed weird to flaunt M1 in everything...except the TV, it now has the A12 Bionic. Add some more IO, pop M1 in there, boom.

In any case, still debating if I want to bother upgrading. I was sold on it just a few moments ago, but everything on my TV now looks fine and I was really only in for the remote.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah they could have flexed and had AirTag technology built into the new remote. Too much $$$ I guess.

Also, looking at the new and old remote side by side, gently caress you Apple for moving the play/pause button. It would have been so easy to leave it in the same place and put the new mute button above it, to keep some continuity with the old remote.

drat YOU TIM APPLLEEEEEEEEEE

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thwomp posted:

So the new remote is only slightly thicker (3mm diff), 12mm longer, and actually more skinny (35mm wide versus 38mm on the old remote).

It’s 18g heavier for anyone who can tell the difference.

Honestly, I hoping for something less prone to slip between the couch cushions. And also maybe a locator sound?

Really was waiting for find my support for the remote.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

American McGay posted:

I haven't dove deep into all the new features, but most likely not at all.

Wait I just remembered. Is all the fancy auto-calibration stuff unique to the new ATV4K? I didn’t hear one mention of tvOS, so I assume it is.

I’ll probably wait and see what all the image calibration nerds say after they get their hands on it, but if they vouch for it then that could be a good reason to upgrade.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
That colour calibration feature is definitely going to be exclusive to the new device, even though it's all tied to iPhone hardware, isn't it.

e: Well that was some timing.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Gonna piss me off when they announce it requires the new ATV4k AND an iPhone 12 Pro or some poo poo like that

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The store page makes no mention of requiring a specific phone, it just says "hold your iPhone against the screen" and it would be pretty stupid to not at least support the SE and all the 12 models.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

soooo this is pretty much what we all wanted, right?

didn't y'all speculate there wouldn't be anymore apple TVs or something with that new apple patent, lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Call me crazy, but I think Apple is going to merge the Apple TV and Mac mini sometime in the next maybe 2 or 3 years. It seemed weird to flaunt M1 in everything...except the TV, it now has the A12 Bionic. Add some more IO, pop M1 in there, boom.

In any case, still debating if I want to bother upgrading. I was sold on it just a few moments ago, but everything on my TV now looks fine and I was really only in for the remote.
I'm gonna go ahead and call you crazy unless by "merge" you mean "they'll be the same form factor but still run different OSes at different price points and different capabilities" then sure, I could see that.

I don't *want* an HTPC. I want a thing I turn on and works reliably and don't have to think about, and I imagine the majority of AppleTV owners feel the same.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LODGE NORTH posted:

Call me crazy, but I think Apple is going to merge the Apple TV and Mac mini sometime in the next maybe 2 or 3 years.

I will happily do this. Other than a similar-ish form factor, there's no connection between the two devices at all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EL BROMANCE posted:

I will happily do this. Other than a similar-ish form factor, there's no connection between the two devices at all.

Yeah they are not even remotely the same type of device or serving the same purpose at all.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I think the Apple TV is meant to be the dumping ground for unsold iPad/iPhone chips. I'm sure Apple is minting new A12s for the new ATV, but I'd also bet they're salvaging a large portion of the ATV's innards from unsold XS/XRs.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Euphoriaphone posted:

I think the Apple TV is meant to be the dumping ground for unsold iPad/iPhone chips. I'm sure Apple is minting new A12s for the new ATV, but I'd also bet they're salvaging a large portion of the ATV's innards from unsold XS/XRs.

That's not how their supply chain works.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And also, there just isn’t a huge imperative to update the AppleTV to the latest processing tech. It’s still doing 4K, though the new model will do higher refresh rates.

Unless Apple get serious about gaming, the A12 is more than good enough for light gaming and 4K high refresh rate video.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My point was less about how they're the same product destined to cannibalize each other, but more in how there's not a market for something like the Mac mini anymore to the point that it's easier to add the slight differences the Mac mini has over the Apple TV to essentially cater to those small edge cases where someone would actually want or need a Mac mini.

Who knows, though. Apple has done crazier things

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

My point was less about how they're the same product destined to cannibalize each other, but more in how there's not a market for something like the Mac mini anymore to the point that it's easier to add the slight differences the Mac mini has over the Apple TV to essentially cater to those small edge cases where someone would actually want or need a Mac mini.

Who knows, though. Apple has done crazier things

A streaming box and a desktop computer have some pretty massive differences in capabilities, what the actual gently caress are you on about?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Hot drat, I haven't read a thing about the new ATV itself but this remote has me hyped. Isolated directional inputs on top of the swipe control, and a drat mute button. Those 2 things were my perfect-world ATV remote scenario right there.

Presumably this can still connect wirelessly to the 4th/5th gen models, right? If it's limited to IR for older models then I'm back at square one (my ATV is tucked completely out of view behind a mounted TV).

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

njsykora posted:

A streaming box and a desktop computer have some pretty massive differences in capabilities, what the actual gently caress are you on about?

With the A1 chip inside, the differences in capability would only be the OS.

Apple's whole catalogue of computers is selling things designed for "professionals" with the Pro line of products - Mac Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone Pro etc etc. Everything else is for the "common person" and the Mac mini is directly not that. With the M1 chip in an Apple TV, the only differences would be trivial things like storage and how many USB ports one's got.

To that same point, the needs some people would have for a Mac mini with M1 could easily be answered with apps utilizing the chip. The same can be said for the iPad and MacBook comparisons.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The A12 and M1 aren't all that different in the first case. The developer Apple-based Minis ran an A12z. The M1 is just on a newer fabrication process and is 50% larger in die volume. Apple won't put a bigger chip in the ATV because that would eat into their margins and they like making lots of money.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The calibration feature is coming to the old 4k, so this upgrade is basically just "we wanted to stop making the old CPU":

quote:

One of the most intriguing features of the just-announced new Apple TV 4K is one that allows the video output to be tailored to you TV's specific colour balance. Essentially, the Apple TV outputs a test image to your TV that you then measure using an iPhone. The Apple TV then compares the measured colour balance to 'industry-standard specifications' and adjusts its output to correct any inaccuracies and improve contrast.

If that sounds like a feature well worth trying out, you might be excited to learn that it's not exclusive to the new version of the Apple TV 4K: the press release sent out after the live stream includes a small note that says the feature will also be coming to all previous versions of the Apple TV 4K and the Apple TV HD. The feature will be coming with tvOS 14.5 and your iPhone will also need to be running iOS 14.5, and both updates are apparently coming next week.
press release here

e: Also the apple TV is $180 and half the word thinks it's way too expensive, how would a $600 model improve that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

With the A1 chip inside, the differences in capability would only be the OS.

Apple's whole catalogue of computers is selling things designed for "professionals" with the Pro line of products - Mac Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone Pro etc etc. Everything else is for the "common person" and the Mac mini is directly not that. With the M1 chip in an Apple TV, the only differences would be trivial things like storage and how many USB ports one's got.

To that same point, the needs some people would have for a Mac mini with M1 could easily be answered with apps utilizing the chip. The same can be said for the iPad and MacBook comparisons.

I still don't understand any of this argument.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Everything else is for the "common person" and the Mac mini is directly not that.
The cheapest available Mac you use with the monitor, keyboard, and mouse you already have isn't for the "common person"? I think you're starting from a bad premise here.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The cheapest available Mac you use with the monitor, keyboard, and mouse you already have isn't for the "common person"? I think you're starting from a bad premise here.

I will say the Mini is an odd one because it's for the common person as it's the cheapest Mac you can get. But it's also for the pro in that in some environments you have all the pro equipment you need for poo poo except for the actual computer itself.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

My biggest complaint with the current Siri remote is that the edge-click to skip 15 sec is incredibly inconsistent. I'd guess it works 40% of the time or less on first attempt.

The event showed off the scrubbing with the click wheel, but I hope the 15 sec skipping is as easy as pressing the left/right buttons now.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Might be overkill but i'm going to upgrade my old HD i bought in 2015 to this new 4k. I just have an HD TV but I'm one of those people who plays apple arcade and has two home pods so they seem to work better for the 4k. I probably won't upgrade the tv until mine goes kaput. Helps that my kid put the old remote in the part of the couch that is impossible to put your hand under(it's like through the stitching) and paying $60 for a new remote vs just getting a new box that will run a lot faster for me I'll just spend the 179 or whatever. We use it as our primary TV box so seems like not the biggest expense.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Is using Homebridge the only way to get Siri off the remote working with a Harmony Hub?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Euphoriaphone posted:

My biggest complaint with the current Siri remote is that the edge-click to skip 15 sec is incredibly inconsistent. I'd guess it works 40% of the time or less on first attempt.

The event showed off the scrubbing with the click wheel, but I hope the 15 sec skipping is as easy as pressing the left/right buttons now.

This is how I'd expect it to work, since the new remote has an actual back button replacing the menu button (which is what menu always did anyway). My inner iPod nerd is still incredibly happy about the click wheel returning and honestly if they don't have center+up mapped to reset I'll be very disappointed.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I will say the Mini is an odd one because it's for the common person as it's the cheapest Mac you can get. But it's also for the pro in that in some environments you have all the pro equipment you need for poo poo except for the actual computer itself.

We can barely keep Mac Mini's in stock in my shop, and they're also the one Mac that hardly ever gets checked in for service because they rarely have hardware issues. They're great computers for the price, and they seem to be more popular than a lot of people think.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
When I think of the Mac mini I think of people who reluctantly have to do iOS dev work or people who want to build a hackintosh but are really lazy. The screen in the iMac has been so good for so long that it's hard for me to think of a scenario for the mini.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

empty baggie posted:

We can barely keep Mac Mini's in stock in my shop, and they're also the one Mac that hardly ever gets checked in for service because they rarely have hardware issues. They're great computers for the price, and they seem to be more popular than a lot of people think.

The Mini has always been the background titan of the Mac line, I remember people being super skeptical about it when it was introduced because who would buy a cheap Mac (in the days before the ecosystem was even a thing)? Turns out a metric fuckload of people wanted a cheap and reasonably powerful desktop if they had no particular attachment to Windows, and that appeal's only increased as the Apple ecosystem has been built.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

American McGay posted:

When I think of the Mac mini I think of people who reluctantly have to do iOS dev work or people who want to build a hackintosh but are really lazy. The screen in the iMac has been so good for so long that it's hard for me to think of a scenario for the mini.

I have absolutely no need for the imac screen, so mac mini for me. Anyways good poo poo about the calibration coming to the older boxes. 4 remotes for me!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Mini is in an AV rack next to my TV hooked up to a bunch of HDDs. I'm usually remoted into it rather than using the TV as a display, but it suits what I need perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Looks like a completely unnecessary upgrade from the 4K but I’ll probably buy one just so that it’ll use VRR or whatever when I replace my second generation OLED later this year for other marginal improvements.

I’m an idiot.