Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, the characters are defined by their movesets, which mostly at least feel pretty different to play. Would you rather they be defined by raw stats but play identically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Vil posted:

For commissions like that, you can at least have the companion exp go to 3/4 of them, even if your team is 1 geared carry and 3 low-level ungeared non-contributors. Works best with an on-field carry like Razor or especially Ganyu, rather than a more reaction-based carry.

I use Zhongli as my carry for this. Crescent Pike Geo Grandpa makes a pretty good babysitter.

RealFoxy posted:

I understand the sentiment, I started an alt because I rushed through the game at first to catch up with friends. Since I rolled a Beidou I went to Liyue early and switched my traveler over to Geo since I'd never used them as Geo before. I had a daily that required me to use Anemo and I just thought "This is going to take like five extra minutes to swap Traveler to Anemo, then back to geo just for a single quest, is it really worth it?"

Back when I still had regular exploration stuff to do, this was a big factor in my decision to ignore all the geoculi and chests that needed you to use a deployable or a skill to gain height. The only character I had who could do that stuff was Geo Traveler, but I was using Anemo Traveler as my main damage dealer. Running to and from a Statue of the Seven to switch seemed like an enormous pain, so I just marked them all so that I could come back and knock them out in one go later.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Bloody Emissary posted:

I use Zhongli as my carry for this. Crescent Pike Geo Grandpa makes a pretty good babysitter.

Back when I still had regular exploration stuff to do, this was a big factor in my decision to ignore all the geoculi and chests that needed you to use a deployable or a skill to gain height. The only character I had who could do that stuff was Geo Traveler, but I was using Anemo Traveler as my main damage dealer. Running to and from a Statue of the Seven to switch seemed like an enormous pain, so I just marked them all so that I could come back and knock them out in one go later.
I feel guilty for complaining about this because I've been playing WoW since Vanilla, Genshin doesn't have any gathering or crafting professions, you can do everything except character-specific cooking with the four default characters, but it's so easy that the minute it takes to swap teams feels super inconvenient.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
just set up a farm team to do the four dailies and collection reward, replace anyone who hits max friendship. namecards are cool but don't drive yourself insane trying to get them all efficiently as possible

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That's pretty much what I do. Ganyu + 3, switch Ganyu out for Klee if there's a Big Ice Cold Crisis or something along those lines.

Still, a fast party swap would do wonders for the game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

During a discussion about character skins, there was someone in this thread who basically said that the characters you play as are basically skins for their artifacts. My brain keeps jumping back to this as it's basically true.

If I grab any character who's level 70+, throw on a leveled up artifact set and then throw on a leveled weapon, they can pretty much beat any non-abyss content. I was fighting bosses with Jean, and thought I'd increase her melee talent from 6 to 8 only to discover I'd neglected it and left it at talent level 1. A good artifact set can make even a pretty crumby character a good one.

That's fundamentally misunderstanding what people mean by "skins."

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

That's fundamentally misunderstanding what people mean by "skins."

And as someone else immediately pointed out, it's not even accurate, since by far the biggest difference in playstyle comes from movesets.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
joking that characters are cosmetics for artifact sets is a comment on how important artifact stats are as compared to character stats. there was no misunderstanding, there was no suggestion characters are identical, and no one suggested all characters should be identical. clarste's post is an attempt to start an argument on something ninjoatse didn't say

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
It would be really cool if I could group the artifacts into cool sets though. I'd love to explore other characters with my good artifact sets but the thought of moving them all around and mixing them up fills me with dread and terror.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

bandaid.friend posted:

joking that characters are cosmetics for artifact sets is a comment on how important artifact stats are as compared to character stats. there was no misunderstanding, there was no suggestion characters are identical, and no one suggested all characters should be identical. clarste's post is an attempt to start an argument on something ninjoatse didn't say

it's a lame joke, though

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I think one of the biggest things about artifacts and characters is that they're very different sometimes

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
You guys haven't unlocked the ability to equip characters on other characters? Ganyu with a Bennett hat is insane.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Corla Plankun posted:

It would be really cool if I could group the artifacts into cool sets though. I'd love to explore other characters with my good artifact sets but the thought of moving them all around and mixing them up fills me with dread and terror.

I keep meaning to say that in the periodic surveys, but every time I take them on my phone I forget everything I'd planned to mention. Maybe I should try writing them down in a li'l note or something...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MajorBonnet posted:

You guys haven't unlocked the ability to equip characters on other characters? Ganyu with a Bennett hat is insane.

Yeah everyone saying Amber sucks clearly hasn't figure out that Noelle sands goes really well on her.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I pulled Rosaria on the banner and Chongyun on the free banner in succession, which of those should I level up?

My current somewhat decent characters include Nnning(80), Venti(80), Fischl, Bennett and Xianling(70). At low level i've also got Jean at lvl⁴30, Razor, and the fire guitar lady and a few others

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 20, 2021

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Corla Plankun posted:

A generalist set that's decent on many different chars isn't going to be much better than a just-so set specific to each character. Klee's crimson witch set is going to be much different than Hu Tao's. I think that should be a feature, for sure, but honestly every char I've fully built(13) gets their own set.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Tsyni posted:

A generalist set that's decent on many different chars isn't going to be much better than a just-so set specific to each character. Klee's crimson witch set is going to be much different than Hu Tao's. I think that should be a feature, for sure, but honestly every char I've fully built(13) gets their own set.

I would like this feature so that I can try out different artifact sets on my main characters. I mainly run Jean with a physical DPS set, but it'd be nice if I could switch between phys DPS and Anemo support for her.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i have inverse brain worms where i'm leveling friendship on all the characters i never want to see again, so when they're done i can finally get friendship levels on the characters i actually want to use

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I'm sitting on a pile of Primogems right now (around 5400). I guess it's a good time to be new and have the urge to explore. I should always be spending those on the rotating banner pull items, right? Not the normal "everything is in this" banner.

My team has been Traveler, Diluc, Keqing and Barbara for a while now, all at C0 (except Traveler). I feel like I'm find when I solo but when I group it feels like I lack firepower. My Diluc is 60 with a 60 weapon (prototype archaic). Is it just down to artifacts now?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I have enough gems to spark an on banner 5*, the question is will I be able to do the same by the time that Inazuma's archon comes out.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Levantine posted:

I should always be spending those on the rotating banner pull items, right? Not the normal "everything is in this" banner.

Correct. Gems go to the character banner assuming you want something there.

quote:

My team has been Traveler, Diluc, Keqing and Barbara for a while now, all at C0 (except Traveler). I feel like I'm find when I solo but when I group it feels like I lack firepower. My Diluc is 60 with a 60 weapon (prototype archaic). Is it just down to artifacts now?

I assume you're grouping with your Diluc, and yes it's down to artifacts. Talents as well, if you haven't leveled them, but it never stops being a grind for more optimal artifacts.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Levantine posted:

Is it just down to artifacts now?

I felt my powerlevel was rather mediocre after crossing the AR 55 threshold until really spending a couple months working artifacts.

To a lesser extent constellations can turn a lackluster character into a beast like Fischl, Noelle and Ning.

Constellations will come just by rolling banners and using your primos. I got a relatively late start and have a bunch of C6's now. Artifacts though are the best investment for your resin and will take you the furthest.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I have enough gems to spark an on banner 5*, the question is will I be able to do the same by the time that Inazuma's archon comes out.

As that's at least two patches after 1.5, and will include another entire region's worth of resources to loot, I'm betting on yes.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Lobsterpillar posted:

I pulled Rosaria on the banner and Chongyun on the free banner in succession, which of those should I level up?

My current somewhat decent characters include Nnning(80), Venti(80), Fischl, Bennett and Xianling(70). At low level i've also got Jean at lvl⁴30, Razor, and the fire guitar lady and a few others

Chong's gimmick is infusing people cryo, so the traditional pair is him with carry bennett to melt himself. Most people don't want a cryo infusion though.

Rosaria is basically Kaeya, you have her best team of Rosaria/Kaeya/XL/Bennett. It's kind of investment heavy for a swap team.

Chong adds a few new team comps while Rosaria is alternate Kaeya, but it really comes down to who you like. Neither really does anything super broken.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's going to be funny when Inazuma's archon turns out to be Raiden Mei.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I think if your main carry is only level 60 with a level 60 weapon, getting those leveled is more important than artifacts. At least up to level 80 and 6/6/6 talent levels. Not to say that artifacts aren't the biggest increase in power, but the resin cost for strength gained is tilted in favor of character levels, because of the big pile of RNG you go through for good artifacts.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Levantine posted:

So I'm sitting on a pile of Primogems right now (around 5400). I guess it's a good time to be new and have the urge to explore. I should always be spending those on the rotating banner pull items, right? Not the normal "everything is in this" banner.

What's your Adventure Rank?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007

Levantine posted:

What's your World Level? Other than artifacts the other big piece is reactions. Keq and Diluc are both selfish and want to be on the field. You can get more damage from the team if you remove one and put in a character who has a good reaction. If you have Xinqui I recommend him instead of Keq, that's Diluc's strongest partner and you'll see his damage spike during xq Ult.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think I just got AR 32? So world level 3, I think. I really only struggle on the newly unlocked weapon material and talent material challenges, and I think mostly in co-op.

I don't have Xinqui unfortunately. I'm still pretty new and limited in bodies.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Who do you have available?

Yeah, artifacts are a big party of your power. At wl3 I would aim to get your main auto attacker a set of gladiator with good main stats, and make sure they have the right dmg gob. Subs aren't worth optimizing now. It's not a great idea to run artifact domains before the guaranteed 5*.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Levantine posted:

I think I just got AR 32? So world level 3, I think. I really only struggle on the newly unlocked weapon material and talent material challenges, and I think mostly in co-op.

I don't have Xinqui unfortunately. I'm still pretty new and limited in bodies.

For now, I would focus on making sure Diluc's level, weapon and talent levels are all as high as they can be at your AR. You can go a long way with one maxed out DPS character and a bunch of supports.

Also, getting him a full Gladiator set with a Pyro Dmg goblet (of any set) should be your next priority.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Trihugger posted:

I think if your main carry is only level 60 with a level 60 weapon, getting those leveled is more important than artifacts. At least up to level 80 and 6/6/6 talent levels. Not to say that artifacts aren't the biggest increase in power, but the resin cost for strength gained is tilted in favor of character levels, because of the big pile of RNG you go through for good artifacts.

it sounds like my exact problem around that range, I thought my damage was fine in single player because my level/weapons/talents were up to snuff, but the fischl coop event hit and I realized I was doing no damage because my artifacts were junk

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

As that's at least two patches after 1.5, and will include another entire region's worth of resources to loot, I'm betting on yes.

Im sure I'll be able to pity a 5* by the time her banner comes out, the problem is that it'll be a 50/50. Sparking an on banner is no joke if you whiff and go the entire length.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Levantine posted:

If you are using Diluc as your main DPS, save your primogems for the next banner with Xingqiu on it, Diluc is like 2x as powerful with his support. Bennett would be another good option to go for.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Selane posted:

If you are using Diluc as your main DPS, save your primogems for the next banner with Xingqiu on it, Diluc is like 2x as powerful with his support. Bennett would be another good option to go for.

If you are F2P, I suggest not using primogems only for the 4*. It might take a while, but you will eventually get XQ and Bennett either from off-banner or standard ("everything is in this" ). That being said, if you are fresh off a pity from the limited character banner i.e. you recently got a 5* that was on banner, spending 20-30 pulls trying to get a 4* is a fine strategy since getting 5* from 20-30 pulls is still efficient. (Though this comes with its own caveats.) The expected roll for getting a specific 4* that is on banner is around 36 rolls, but that is not guaranteed, and large deviations from this number is possible.

Of course if money is no object, feel free to ignore the above and get the 4* you want.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

dioxazine posted:

It's going to be funny when Inazuma's archon turns out to be Raiden Mei. some original character.

:v:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I've heard a lot about the climbing and gliding physics in this game but no one really gives proper credit to the dog physics:

https://i.imgur.com/ffAyTKp.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd5Kund0mWE

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Flair posted:

If you are F2P, I suggest not using primogems only for the 4*. It might take a while, but you will eventually get XQ and Bennett either from off-banner or standard ("everything is in this" ). That being said, if you are fresh off a pity from the limited character banner i.e. you recently got a 5* that was on banner, spending 20-30 pulls trying to get a 4* is a fine strategy since getting 5* from 20-30 pulls is still efficient. (Though this comes with its own caveats.) The expected roll for getting a specific 4* that is on banner is around 36 rolls, but that is not guaranteed, and large deviations from this number is possible.

Of course if money is no object, feel free to ignore the above and get the 4* you want.

it could be six months or more before getting bennett or XQ while rolling for 5*s, that's a long time to go without diluc's two best friends

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

padijun posted:

it could be six months or more before getting bennett or XQ while rolling for 5*s, that's a long time to go without diluc's two best friends

For a F2P using up primogems can cost them a limited 5* that can be a year or more without them. There is also a chance a F2P is stuck with a 5* whom they did not want, but did not get the 4* that was banner, so they get the worst of both worlds. Of course a banner with both Xingqiu and Bennett has very likely odds you get one or the other within 30 rolls.

Again, if you are not F2P, feel free to ignore this advice, but such is the life a F2P player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Araganzar posted:

I've heard a lot about the climbing and gliding physics in this game but no one really gives proper credit to the dog physics:

https://i.imgur.com/ffAyTKp.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd5Kund0mWE

Wow, hyperrealistic.