Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
I've finally been convinced to play this for the first time. Are any of the jobs generally more solo-friendly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NovaLion posted:

I've finally been convinced to play this for the first time. Are any of the jobs generally more solo-friendly?
In 2021 you can solo with anything because there's an entire system to summon a party of NPCs who, while braindead, are more than good enough for almost all the content.

(that said, Red Mage owns, though the spells are expensive, Blue Mage is great but the spells are a pain to learn, something like Warrior just poops out damage with lots of survivability, those are the three that come to mind first)

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In 2021 you can solo with anything because there's an entire system to summon a party of NPCs who, while braindead, are more than good enough for almost all the content.

(that said, Red Mage owns, though the spells are expensive, Blue Mage is great but the spells are a pain to learn, something like Warrior just poops out damage with lots of survivability, those are the three that come to mind first)

Perfect, that helps a lot. Thanks.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I've been playing as a new guy and soloing and mage jobs have a lot of extra spells and skill ups that can be slow. Any of the melee jobs - Warrior, Samurai, Dragoon, even the tankier guys like Paladin are lots of fun.

That being said with the way the game works now, it's pretty quick and easy to level up and fool around with and gear up a job so you'll probably figure out what you like and don't like pretty quick.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Capital Letdown posted:

I've been playing as a new guy and soloing and mage jobs have a lot of extra spells and skill ups that can be slow. Any of the melee jobs - Warrior, Samurai, Dragoon, even the tankier guys like Paladin are lots of fun.

That being said with the way the game works now, it's pretty quick and easy to level up and fool around with and gear up a job so you'll probably figure out what you like and don't like pretty quick.

That's great to hear, I'm going to jump in tonight.

Now to find a Gold World Pass.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah it's super easy to just level up a new job if you aren't feeling your current one. It's also worth noting some jobs feel way different once they hit lv 99 and have access to all their tools, so if something appeals to you thematically but isn't all that fun for you, it may be worth heading back to it once you're deeper in the endgame and have a better idea of what each job does and what interests you, and then go back to it if you want. You'll be able to level stuff up faster then, too!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you want some real easy mode QoL Dancer gets really quick access to on-demand stealth+ sneak in one package.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
last year I wrote an arrangement of Bastok's town music, a group asked to record it, and here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAm6td-tWrA

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Chairman posted:

last year I wrote an arrangement of Bastok's town music, a group asked to record it, and here it is

This rules.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

The Chairman posted:

This is so good

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

The Chairman posted:

Absolutely fantastic stuff, thanks for this!

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Looks like Shantotto II is in the login event starting Monday. 300 points, comes about rarely and is so insanely far ahead of any dps cipher you will ever get - don't miss out.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I'm going to start playing this again, although I'm essentially new since I haven't played since the game first came out. I keep reading NOT to make a character on Asura, but this advice seems to always come from the typically cynical "everyone and everything is pain" type or person that loves to complain about everything. Is the supposed elitism and bot spam really that bad?

Also, are there any recommended third-party things I should be running? Is Windower still a thing? I see there are some graphics mods on Nexus..

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Definitely play on Asura, you can filter out the merc spam and whatnot - it's only worse there because that's where most EN players are.

Most of the texture replacement stuff is kinda bad and has a habit of crashing the client in busy areas (namely Domain Invasion). Windower is definitely still a thing though and you'll likely also want to set up dgVoodoo because the game still uses Direct3D8 and modern GPUs don't like that much.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

GoGoGadget posted:

I'm going to start playing this again, although I'm essentially new since I haven't played since the game first came out. I keep reading NOT to make a character on Asura, but this advice seems to always come from the typically cynical "everyone and everything is pain" type or person that loves to complain about everything. Is the supposed elitism and bot spam really that bad?

Not making a character on Asura means you won't have any one to group with more often than not and a dead economy/auction house. It's just not worth making a character on another server, trust me, my original characters were all on Shiva since 2004 and I transferred to Asura for the auction house alone.

People like to complain about Asura for any reason and blame it for an awful community but I got news for you: This is what the FFXI community was always like, just now with more merc spam. Do not trust anyone who posts otherwise on ffxiah or whatever small bastion of FFXI discussion that still remains on the internet.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Anyone that thinks and/or says non-asura doesn't have garbage probably has their own brand of garbage to peddle

just settle into the biggest garbage heap and then just talk about the game in discord or whatever. shout chat isn't worth time unless you like baiting nerds into being mad

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
When I came back it was because some friends on Bahamut roped me back in, but it seems like some of the complaints about Asura are because there are actual EN players doing the content and it's not a ghost town. If I was starting fresh and wanted some semblance of a community I can't think of a reason not to go on Asura.

kirbysuperstar posted:

you'll likely also want to set up dgVoodoo because the game still uses Direct3D8 and modern GPUs don't like that much.

Also thanks for this, I've dealt with random d/c and crashes recently and tried everything with my ISP so I'll give this a shot.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah when people say that other servers have less merc/bot spam, it's technically true. But it's not what you imagine - the spam isn't replaced by more people doing content, instead there's just...nothing being shouted.

It's a funny complaint too cus like, it's not hard to find addons that filter out all the spam.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Definitely play on Asura, you can filter out the merc spam and whatnot - it's only worse there because that's where most EN players are.

Most of the texture replacement stuff is kinda bad and has a habit of crashing the client in busy areas (namely Domain Invasion). Windower is definitely still a thing though and you'll likely also want to set up dgVoodoo because the game still uses Direct3D8 and modern GPUs don't like that much.

Tried finding dgVoodoo, and every link I can find to it is down or blacklisted. Even the link on the wiki at http://wiki.homepointxi.com/DGVoodoo2

Edit: Nevermind, found it by removing the .html from the link on the wiki...switching from the Steam version to Windows, gotta love the 500 KB/s download speeds from the site...

CodfishCartographer posted:

Here's a discord link for new/returning friends: https://discord.gg/z8VhxtCP

Anyone have a link for Discord? This one is expired.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 7, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

GoGoGadget posted:

Tried finding dgVoodoo, and every link I can find to it is down or blacklisted. Even the link on the wiki at http://wiki.homepointxi.com/DGVoodoo2

Edit: Nevermind, found it by removing the .html from the link on the wiki...switching from the Steam version to Windows, gotta love the 500 KB/s download speeds from the site...

Anyone have a link for Discord? This one is expired.

https://discord.gg/BTgpSQTM

Enjoy friend!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Here is the updated site for dgVoodoo2: http://dege.freeweb.hu/

I found it on https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/DgVoodoo_2, so I assume it's reputable.

e: whoops, you found out long ago. oh well

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
Thinking of moving on from Carbuncle, I started playing in August after 9 years off.
Are all the goons in a squadshell? That previous discord link was dead.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rabite posted:

Thinking of moving on from Carbuncle, I started playing in August after 9 years off.
Are all the goons in a squadshell? That previous discord link was dead.

https://discord.gg/EbfwGAWz

There's a new one for ya! There is a Goon link shell, but honestly it doesn't see hardly any use - most of us chat in discord instead, unless we're actively partying in-game or something.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I played for the Return Home a bit here this weekend. I may just join again some time soon but I think I'll stay off Asura for the moment. Want to finish my Mandau and with no one in Dynamis zones I'll just pop on an audio book and be done with it in no time. Then I'll probably move since I don't think I can solo the stuff to 119 for it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

how the heck do you chat in this game, enter didn't work and neither did hitting every other key on my keyboard

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Space bar for general say chat, though no one uses that really.

Or you can do CTRL T <name> to send a tell, CTRL R for reply, CTRL L for Linkshell(guild chat), CTRL P for party, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Happy 19th birthday to this very silly game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

/cm [channel] will also set your default chat mode accordingly so you can then just start typing after that

/cm p = party chat
/cm l = linkshell chat
/cm s = say chat
etc.

Though really, the game's UX made an awful lot of functional sacrifices in the name of allowing you to start chatting by hitting any letter, rather than using enter and forward-slash to enter chat mode and otherwise letting letters be keybinds themselves.

That's why all in-game keybinds and macros have to be some flavor of ctrl- and alt-.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I play on full size keyboard set up, which changes movement over to the numpad and makes it so just typing DOES bring up the chat window..!!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In most other MMOs, if you wanted to chat in your default channel it would be something like:

[enter]hey guys![enter]

And in the meantime, you could bind H, E, Y, space, G, U, S, and shift-1 to whatever functional purposes you like (such as keybinding your abilities, or having a quick shortcut to a given system function or menu section), though space is likely earmarked for some sorta jump.

In contrast, 11 lets you do the following shortcut of skipping the initial enter:

hey guys![enter]

... but the cost of that is that you can't keybind any of those alphanumeric keys or common symbols, to anything else. Nor can you keybind shift-modifier versions of them. You can (and do) keybind ctrl or alt-modifier versions of them, with limitations (abilities can only go on ctrl/alt-1 through 0 via macros, everything else is a system function or menu section).

My point is that's a lot of user keybinding customization potential stripped away... and all you get in return is that you can skip tapping enter before you start typing your chat. Not exactly a great cost/benefit ratio.

And while okay, I can see prevailing wisdom not necessarily being a super-common thing back in the early aughts and when your initial audience was PS2 users... we're two decades later now and they never took a cue - not even when FF14 came around - to revamp that.

Don't get me wrong, there are many things I loved and still do love about this game, but the UI/UX is very much not one of them.

Vil fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 17, 2021

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I mean, the proper way to play the game is with a gamepad. The keyboard is only there for chatting.

Unless you're some kind of virgin, I guess.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
This game would be unplayable to me without xivhotbar addon use.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I mean, the proper way to play the game is with a gamepad. The keyboard is only there for chatting.

Unless you're some kind of virgin, I guess.

M+KB players in FFXI boggle the gd mind

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

star eater posted:

M+KB players in FFXI boggle the gd mind

Yeah even the menus are easier to navigate with a gamepad.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I tried playing it on the M+KB the last time I played because that's how I remember playing 10+ years ago it but it was just awkward as gently caress. Maybe XIV has ruined me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It's fine on Compact mode. It's how I've played it the last 18 years.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

when I tried this game out (and couldn't figure out how to chat with the one guy who tried to group with me) I did controller because I was playing on this thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPD_Win

it was kickin' rad but if I spent too long in populated areas it got so hot that it felt like the case was going to melt onto my hands, thing's about the size of a nintendo ds

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
For the first 6 years I played this game, I did it keyboard only, no mouse. It worked, I even played healer at high level but in retrospect I was probably working harder than necessary.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I still play purely with keyboard and could never be convinced otherwise.

Even when I played on PS2 it was all keyboard. Though I was RDM main back then and felt it was too involved for a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Played piano mode too with keyboard only, really sad you can't do the same scheme in 14. :smith: