Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What'd Waters say that has all these reactionaries clutching their pearls?

She said if they come back with a not guilty verdict, that people need to get confrontational and stay out in the streets.

She and Biden shouldn't have said anything because it could get a mistrial declared if they can prove it somehow influenced a jury. It would be really stupid for that to end up being the reason he got off. But, if the jury was properly sequestered, then it shouldn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I think there's trouble tonight either way, though. People will be in the streets no matter what, and it's either protesters protesting, or cops agitating in retaliation against the verdict. And there will always be agents provocateur sneaking in amongst the protesters/celebrators to start poo poo.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She said if they come back with a not guilty verdict, that people need to get confrontational and stay out in the streets.

She and Biden shouldn't have said anything because it could get a mistrial declared if they can prove it somehow influenced a jury. It would be really stupid for that to end up being the reason he got off. But, if the jury was properly sequestered, then it shouldn't matter.

If they can't say anything than nobody can because the jury isn't supposed to be watching the news at all.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

It's the jury's responsibility to render fair and impartial judgement. It is the court's responsibility to enforce that. It isn't any individual citizen's responsibility to not talk about the news, no matter how much press coverage it gets.

Biden or Waters saying a thing doesn't make them responsible for a mistrial unless they did it in the court. Because a mistrial means that someone hosed up part of the proceedings.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

Female athletes embarrassed the gently caress out of them this year.

If they did anything good give the credit to women not the NCAA

I don't follow sports, what happened?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

National guard rolling into Minneapolis. Trying to find a decent source....

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

cr0y posted:

They've been there for a while.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Did I miss something about Biden? He made some comment after the jury was already sequestered (which was timed for that on purpose), but I didn't hear anything about comments before that?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

They've been there for a while.

Ok I'll stop talking for now 👍

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
While it's perfectly fine to post about it in this thread, don't forget there's also a specific Chauvin trial thread if you want to talk more in depth about it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kalit posted:

Did I miss something about Biden? He made some comment after the jury was already sequestered (which was timed for that on purpose), but I didn't hear anything about comments before that?

Nope, those are the comments. Maxine made her comments while the jury was sequestered and told not to watch/listen to/read the news. This is all hand-wringing from chuds.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Youth Decay posted:

Nope, those are the comments. Maxine made her comments while the jury was sequestered and told not to watch/listen to/read the news. This is all hand-wringing from chuds.

Nope, Waters' comments was before they were sequestered. The jury wasn't sequestered until after closing arguments yesterday. But yes, the jury was told to avoid all news during the trial by the judge.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

cr0y posted:

They just went down 394.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think what Maxine Waters said was a non issue and it seems to be a great fly trap for people that aren't seeing the same thing I am for some reason.

God I'm nervous about the chauvin verdict

They don't think it's bad either, they're trying to both-sides crazy congress people to distract from MTG, Gaetz, etc.

https://twitter.com/AndyGrewal/status/1384594079133097984

Friends, no one was with him.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Women in the NCAA pointed out that March Madness facilities for them were basically 5% of what the men get.

It got a lot of media play.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What'd Waters say that has all these reactionaries clutching their pearls?

Basically nothing:

Maxine Waters posted:

"I hope we get a verdict that says guilty, guilty, guilty," she said in response to reporters' questions. "And if we don't, we cannot go away. We've got to stay on the street. We get more active, we've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kalit posted:

Nope, Waters' comments was before they were sequestered. The jury wasn't sequestered until after closing arguments yesterday. But yes, the jury was told to avoid all news during the trial by the judge.

Here's what the judge thinks:

The judge in the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin criticized comments made by Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., over the weekend, calling them "disrespectful to the rule of law," but rejected a motion from the defense to use her rhetoric as grounds for a mistrial.

"I'm aware that Congresswoman Waters was talking specifically about this trial, and about the unacceptability of anything less than a murder conviction, and talk about being 'confrontational,' " Judge Peter Cahill said on Monday as the closing arguments wrapped up in the trial of Chauvin for the killing of George Floyd.

Cahill said he wished "elected officials would stop talking about this case" but said that the jury had been instructed not to watch the news and therefore Waters' comments could not prejudice the jury and warrant a mistrial.

"Beyond the articles that we're talking specifically about the facts of this case, a congresswoman's opinion really doesn't matter a whole lot," Cahill said.

He noted separately, however, that Waters may have provided the defense "something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned."

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Jaxyon posted:

Women in the NCAA pointed out that March Madness facilities for them were basically 5% of what the men get.

The most recent news is that the NCAA has apparently successfully bullied the Florida senate out of passing their transgender-ban-from-HS-sports bill by threatening to pull championships from being held in the state.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

They don't think it's bad either, they're trying to both-sides crazy congress people to distract from MTG, Gaetz, etc.

https://twitter.com/AndyGrewal/status/1384594079133097984

Friends, no one was with him.

Yeah, drat, that ratio in such a comparatively short time. :stare:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Wylie posted:

The most recent news is that the NCAA has apparently successfully bullied the Florida senate out of passing their transgender-ban-from-HS-sports bill by threatening to pull championships from being held in the state.

Yes and since i'm really loathe to let the NCAA get credit for anything I'm saying that them getting burned on gender issues once already this year is pushing them to be more active on that front.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How do you even begin to get an unbiased jury when they all know they are either going to be hunted by the police or by the mob

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Jaxyon posted:

Yes and since i'm really loathe to let the NCAA get credit for anything I'm saying that them getting burned on gender issues once already this year is pushing them to be more active on that front.

The whole thing has a very "Heartbreaking: Worst Person You Know Made A Great Point" vibe, yes.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

That’s why Biden specifically waited until the jury was sequestered before saying anything

Efb. Should have caught up in thread before posting

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cr0y posted:

How do you even begin to get an unbiased jury when they all know they are either going to be hunted by the police or by the mob

You have to find the dumbest motherfuckers possible who aren't aware of anything

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

predicto posted:

That’s why Biden specifically waited until the jury was sequestered before saying anything

Also he's a white man and she's a black women and they were always going to scream harder about her than him.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm interested to see what happens in the Chauvin trial.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

SalTheBard posted:

I'm interested to see what happens in the Chauvin trial.

:hmmyes:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Big college sports is a lot of Capital.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Jaxyon posted:

Basically nothing:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That people should protest a not guilty verdict

goethe.cx posted:

Something like "If Chauvin is acquitted, take to the streets"

So that's beyond the pale for these people, but inciting an insurrection at the Capitol is nbd

Oh, I figured it was nothing, I just hadn't heard it.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Also he's a white man and she's a black women and they were always going to scream harder about her than him.

Good point generally, but probably not in this case. She is one of 438 Congress people. He is the President. If the President had hosed up and given Chauvin an argument that he had potentially tainted the jury, it would be a much bigger deal than one congressperson from California.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

predicto posted:

Good point generally, but probably not in this case. She is one of 438 Congress people. He is the President. If he had hosed up and given Chauvin an argument that he had potentially tainted the jury, it would be a much bigger deal than one congressperson from California.

Oh THIS is the case where racism against black women wasn't actually a factor.

During this incredibly racially loaded and tense moment.

Thanks for letting me know, I wouldn't have expected that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ms Adequate posted:

The US really decided to make up for lost time huh? Though it is wild how it seems to suggest a bunch of people were sitting around respectiving Covid restrictions and stuff and are now going "Finally, the lockdown is lifted, I can go on that shooting spree I've been planning for six months!".

2020 was the worst year on record for mass shootings

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That is really surprising to me (not saying you're wrong). Was it just Trump dominating the news with his bullshit that ended up drowning it out?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Depends on your definition. According to Statista, it wasn't: https://www.statista.com/statistics/811487/number-of-mass-shootings-in-the-us/.

Regardless, it was one of the worst years for gun related homicides overall

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Velocity Raptor posted:

That is really surprising to me (not saying you're wrong). Was it just Trump dominating the news with his bullshit that ended up drowning it out?

It was mostly the kinds of mass shootings that don't get reported; family annihilations etc rather than the stranger or school/workplace shootings that make up what people normally think of as 'Mass Shootings'.

A lot of people are killed by firearms every day you'll never hear about on the news because its so depressingly routine.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Zapf Dingbat posted:

What's the context here?

The House Judiciary Committe was holding a hearing on the Covid-19 Hate Crimes Bill, which is a bill that addresses hate crimes against Asian-Americans. Jim Jordan introduced an amendment that would prohibit defunding of police departments and criticized Democrats of what he said was demonization of the police. Val Demings, who was a former police officer herself, got upset at both the amendment and Jordan's rhetoric, leading to that exchange.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

It was mostly the kinds of mass shootings that don't get reported; family annihilations etc rather than the stranger or school/workplace shootings that make up what people normally think of as 'Mass Shootings'.

A lot of people are killed by firearms every day you'll never hear about on the news because its so depressingly routine.

As an example of this, a few years back a guy in my own suburban neighborhood shot/killed his gf and her whole family (4 dead, including a baby) and it barely made the local news and didn't even make national news.

Took place like 1 km from my house.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Kalit posted:

Depends on your definition. According to Statista, it wasn't: https://www.statista.com/statistics/811487/number-of-mass-shootings-in-the-us/.

Regardless, it was one of the worst years for gun related homicides overall

I am not sure what definition Statista is using, since they hide their sources beyond a paywall. But given the raw numbers that they present - "As of April 15, there were four mass shootings in the United States in 2021." indicates that the numbers on the graph aren't 100s, or per capita, or anything - I suspect they're using a different definition of "mass shooting" from everyone else. According to their graph, 2018 had the highest number of mass shootings, with twelve. I'm really not sure what criteria you could use to get a number that feels so comically low.

e: To expand on this: the Gun Violence Archive, to pick an example, uses a definition close to "any firearm-related incident in which four or more people are shot in the same place, including the shooter" (this is from memory, it may not be perfect), and this seems to be close to standard. If Statista uses the definition (I am making this up) "any firearm-related incident in which ten or more people are killed by firearms in the same place", not only are they obviously going to get a much lower figure, but the two organizations' bar graphs might look vastly different since Statista (in this case) is discarding incidents where, e.g., ten people were shot but only nine were killed.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 20, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ho ho ho that’s clever.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1384612226531840002?s=21

“We offered them something neither state wanted. What more do the Dems want?”

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Oh THIS is the case where racism against black women wasn't actually a factor.

During this incredibly racially loaded and tense moment.

Thanks for letting me know, I wouldn't have expected that.

That’s not at all what I said and I already acknowledged that your point was generally correct. Why so hostile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s guilty