Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Get ready to lose customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Get ready to update your resume

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Yeah I'm gonna wait for the rollout to see if I can figure out how to beat it into my workflow because I genuinely enjoy what I do otherwise, but if I find myself spending more of my day with a mouse in my hand instead of tools after a few month "getting used to it" period, it's resume time

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I just know from being in the navy they’re one of if not the the largest shipping and merchant fleets in the world

Who are they even advertising too? It’s like Siemens or Raytheon making consumer ads, we’re not their customers anyway.

Their own feckless middle management.

If I recall correctly, Maersk also invented modular containerized shipping as we know it!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We have to attend a "return to site" meeting where we're one of the lucky 5% of employees that never got to WFH during the pandemic and have been force to work in the empty office for the last year anyways :mad:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

d0s posted:

Yeah I'm gonna wait for the rollout to see if I can figure out how to beat it into my workflow because I genuinely enjoy what I do otherwise, but if I find myself spending more of my day with a mouse in my hand instead of tools after a few month "getting used to it" period, it's resume time

This is me. My boss literally told me I was more valuable behind a desk. So I told him he could pay me more (he did) and I would start looking for a new job (several of us are). He's also successfully hosed up 2 of the jobs I bid and put together that he took over at the last minute. It's resume time for sure.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

We had a guy in upper management who would shoot down any suggestions that weren't his.
He wouldn't ever come right out and say that, but everyone who reported to him knew that's how it went. He fancied himself as being completely open and unbiased towards new ideas, but nothing was ever put into practice without having been his idea in the first place.

My supervisor put forward a proposal about adjusting our shift times by 1 hour. No other departments would be affected, no money would need to be spent. Our current work schedule had our shift change happening at busy times, so from an operational standpoint, adjusting our schedule would ensure that employees were available when we're typically needed most. It would also reduce departmental overtime, since picking up an urgent call close to shift change almost always meant working past the end of the shift. Since the time adjustment was only 1 hour, no Union consultations or approval were necessary. It would also have the side benefit of improving most people's commute times, by avoiding heavier traffic times. All of this came with figures proving that there was literally no drawback to anyone involved, and it wouldn't cost a dime. Mr. UM patiently listened to all of the facts being laid out, then just said no. No explanation, just no.
In addition to being a massive roadblock for growth, he was also a huge fan of micromanaging people. Mr. UM was keen on dropping in unannounced to make sure that employees way down the ladder were working By The Book, or else. This is the equivalent of a McDonalds executive dropping into a mall food court franchise, just to make sure that the teenager taking orders doesn't neglect to suggest Super Sizing a combo.
He had also written people up for saying "God drat".

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

The Zombie Guy posted:

We had a guy in upper management who would shoot down any suggestions that weren't his.
He wouldn't ever come right out and say that, but everyone who reported to him knew that's how it went. He fancied himself as being completely open and unbiased towards new ideas, but nothing was ever put into practice without having been his idea in the first place.

My supervisor put forward a proposal about adjusting our shift times by 1 hour. No other departments would be affected, no money would need to be spent. Our current work schedule had our shift change happening at busy times, so from an operational standpoint, adjusting our schedule would ensure that employees were available when we're typically needed most. It would also reduce departmental overtime, since picking up an urgent call close to shift change almost always meant working past the end of the shift. Since the time adjustment was only 1 hour, no Union consultations or approval were necessary. It would also have the side benefit of improving most people's commute times, by avoiding heavier traffic times. All of this came with figures proving that there was literally no drawback to anyone involved, and it wouldn't cost a dime. Mr. UM patiently listened to all of the facts being laid out, then just said no. No explanation, just no.
In addition to being a massive roadblock for growth, he was also a huge fan of micromanaging people. Mr. UM was keen on dropping in unannounced to make sure that employees way down the ladder were working By The Book, or else. This is the equivalent of a McDonalds executive dropping into a mall food court franchise, just to make sure that the teenager taking orders doesn't neglect to suggest Super Sizing a combo.

Sometimes murder is justified

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
thats just good business principles

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I work for a subcontractor for a contractor to a major utility. Part of our job requires my boss's boss's boss to interface with a dude from that major utility on a regular basis. I also work super independently, sometimes in remote as poo poo areas, in a truck that I drive around to various areas. The one dude from that major utility loves to drive around and flex on contractors such as myself. Literally pull up on people making phone calls or patrolling just to hop out and try to catch them on any little tiny thing he can.

When I'm god-emperor of Earth: :guillotine:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

d0s posted:

It’s resume time now. Trust anybody who has been in this scenario before, it will not improve.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
My lovely coworker got fired today :cheers: but now I’m the only member of my team and was already backed up with work and need to figure out where he was on all of his stuff and try to catch up.

My boss tells me she might be speaking to a candidate tomorrow so hopefully we can bring someone solid on quickly and I can get them on boarded.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

But why did they get fired

Spill it girl, spill it

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
He was just super unreliable, we have team calls 3 mornings a week which he would join maybe 10% of the time. Would be offline for several hours a day and unresponsive. He’d get frustrated if he had to work past 230pm etc. along with that he was a big self promoter who fronted like he was a networking god when really he had no previous experience with stuff like routing etc. His approach was really abrasive and he pissed everyone off, would talk over people.

My boss said she feels he had priorities that were preventing him from focusing enough on work which is just a nice way of saying he was unreliable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tetramin posted:

He was just super unreliable, we have team calls 3 mornings a week which he would join maybe 10% of the time. Would be offline for several hours a day and unresponsive. He’d get frustrated if he had to work past 230pm etc. along with that he was a big self promoter who fronted like he was a networking god when really he had no previous experience with stuff like routing etc. His approach was really abrasive and he pissed everyone off, would talk over people.

My boss said she feels he had priorities that were preventing him from focusing enough on work which is just a nice way of saying he was unreliable.

Hell yeah, drop that dead weight.
The only dude that has gotten fired from my job in the last 5 years flat-out refused to work on anything he didn't like. He wasn't clever enough to dodge responsibility, he would just tell people (including his boss) "NO."

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

Hell yeah, drop that dead weight.
The only dude that has gotten fired from my job in the last 5 years flat-out refused to work on anything he didn't like. He wasn't clever enough to dodge responsibility, he would just tell people (including his boss) "NO."

Yeah I don't like doing work, so I'll let y'all handle that. All of that. Just send me my paychecks and I'll stay home.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah I don't like doing work, so I'll let y'all handle that. All of that. Just send me my paychecks and I'll stay home.

It was more like

Project lead: Alright Jim, I need you to review the specs and then submit your recommendations in to the combined report.
Jim: No.
PL: Uh, yes. I need it by the end of tomorrow.
Jim: I don't want to.
PL: ...too bad? It's your responsibility.
Jim: Too bad for you. I'm not doing it.
*Jim logs off for the rest of the day*

I'm shocked they kept him around for about six months.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Inzombiac posted:

It was more like

Project lead: Alright Jim, I need you to review the specs and then submit your recommendations in to the combined report.

lol how the gently caress is that possible

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Outrail posted:

:emptyquote:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That's the kind of dude that rents an apartment and then immediately trashes it and stops paying rent, knowing it'll take them eight months to evict.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Inzombiac posted:

It was more like

I'm not gonna lie, I love this guys attitude. The loving gall. I've worked at a job that sucked so bad that I daydreamed about something like this daily, but I wasn't gutsy enough.

To be fair this guy is propably just a dick, but a man can dream of giving it to the machine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Outrail posted:

In my industry, the only way to get fired on the spot is to get caught stealing, lying about your charged labor or assaulting someone.

Son of Rodney posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I love this guys attitude. The loving gall. I've worked at a job that sucked so bad that I daydreamed about something like this daily, but I wasn't gutsy enough.

To be fair this guy is propably just a dick, but a man can dream of giving it to the machine.

He was just an rear end in a top hat. Even talking about movies or whatever with him was a chore.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm in this situation right now as middle management and it's the most demoralizing thing. Especially coming from previous jobs where the relationships I had with upper management allowed me to debate policy changes and either convince them it was a good idea or have them legitimately convince me my idea was dumb.

I would almost prefer the flat out "No" though, because I get the fake follow up to any suggestion. If I suggest a course of action I will be immediately tasked with something like creating an analysis of the effect of this decision, or putting together a training for our staff on the change. Once that task is complete another one is assigned, and once several of the tasks are done only then is the idea shot down.

This is for insanely basic stuff too. Like I found a way to use our work software to filter information in a way that would help my staff complete a specific task much more quickly. Now I could conduct a training walking everyone through the process of using these filters which I've done before, but I work in a non-tech field and I know that would be a painstaking process for some of my people. I was able to save the filters I used in the list and the software has the capability to share this list with others, but I don't have that level of authorization. I asked for permission to share this list, or perhaps permission to ask our IT guy if there was a way to export the filter settings that the staff could plug in. By this point I'm wise enough to the bosses tricks to know suggesting policy changes results in extra work, but I figured this one was benign enough to sneak by. Instead I was instructed to create a list of guidelines on how the staff would use this information and once that was done a training plan proposal.

This is all information the staff already has access to, it's just organizing it in a slightly more efficient way. It's like creating a policy around using Excel to sort by column B. Actually the staff can already sort this information themselves manually, so it's more like creating a policy around telling staff a keyboard shortcut to sort by column B.

ClothHat fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 20, 2021

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

It was more like

lol jim loving owns

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Advice please, dear thread!

I work at a rehab and a covid outbreak put all of us at the residential houses. All positive covid cases were put in one of the main 14-people houses - the one I work at as a care coordinator (distributing meds, doing the UAs, etc etc).

So I got tested the day the positives came back and was negative. They still sent me to work crazy hours at the house (I worked 67 hours last week).

Today, it was confirmed via tests done last Thursday that I do indeed have COVID now. So the job sent me, negative, to a covid cesspool to work at, where I then got it.

So what are my options here? Also, the owner is a moneygrubbing rear end hole who would fight any action any step of the way, I'm sure.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ClothHat posted:

I'm in this situation right now as middle management and it's the most demoralizing thing. Especially coming from previous jobs where the relationships I had with upper management allowed me to debate policy changes and either convince them it was a good idea or have them legitimately convince me my idea was dumb.

I would almost prefer the flat out "No" though, because I get the fake follow up to any suggestion. If I suggest a course of action I will be immediately tasked with something like creating an analysis of the effect of this decision, or putting together a training for our staff on the change. Once that task is complete another one is assigned, and once several of the tasks are done only then is the idea shot down.

This is for insanely basic stuff too. Like I found a way to use our work software to filter information in a way that would help my staff complete a specific task much more quickly. Now I could conduct a training walking everyone through the process of using these filters which I've done before, but I work in a non-tech field and I know that would be a painstaking process for some of my people. I was able to save the filters I used in the list and the software has the capability to share this list with others, but I don't have that level of authorization. I asked for permission to share this list, or perhaps permission to ask our IT guy if there was a way to export the filter settings that the staff could plug in. By this point I'm wise enough to the bosses tricks to know suggesting policy changes results in extra work, but I figured this one was benign enough to sneak by. Instead I was instructed to create a list of guidelines on how the staff would use this information and once that was done a training plan proposal.

This is all information the staff already has access to, it's just organizing it in a slightly more efficient way. It's like creating a policy around using Excel to sort by column B. Actually the staff can already sort this information themselves manually, so it's more like creating a policy around telling staff a keyboard shortcut to sort by column B.

Are you sure we don't work together? This sort of thing is depressingly familiar.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Inzombiac posted:

It was more like

remarkable energy

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Dear everyone,

Stop emailing me for five goddamn minutes so I can get something done you rentless assholes just stop! gently caress!

gently caress you,

Outrail

Directing all mail to spam is so tempting.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Floodixor posted:

I work at a rehab and a covid outbreak put all of us at the residential houses. All positive covid cases were put in one of the main 14-people houses - the one I work at as a care coordinator (distributing meds, doing the UAs, etc etc).

So I got tested the day the positives came back and was negative. They still sent me to work crazy hours at the house (I worked 67 hours last week).

Today, it was confirmed via tests done last Thursday that I do indeed have COVID now. So the job sent me, negative, to a covid cesspool to work at, where I then got it.

So what are my options here? Also, the owner is a moneygrubbing rear end hole who would fight any action any step of the way, I'm sure.

Talk to a lawyer for endangerment on the job or something my guy.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I mean I don't want to sue them or anything, but can't I legally get covid sick days, at least?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lets celebrate cinco de mayo and encourage people to buy our stuff with a white guy in a poncho, fake mustache, and tequila bottles in gun holsters around his waist making finger guns going "ay yi yi yi yi!" while a voice over says things in fake spanish.

After submission, NBC sent a formal letter that the ad was unacceptably racist and if the company ever sent an ad like that again they would be banned from doing business with NBC or anything associated with them. The all white focus group, production team, and submission staff were stunned

For reference this ad cost somewhere between 250-500 thousand dollars to make

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Barudak posted:

Lets celebrate cinco de mayo and encourage people to buy our stuff with a white guy in a poncho, fake mustache, and tequila bottles in gun holsters around his waist making finger guns going "ay yi yi yi yi!" while a voice over says things in fake spanish.

After submission, NBC sent a formal letter that the ad was unacceptably racist and if the company ever sent an ad like that again they would be banned from doing business with NBC or anything associated with them. The all white focus group, production team, and submission staff were stunned

this is incredible lmao

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Floodixor posted:

It’s an OSHA recordable illness, and you should be eligible for workers compensation on any medical bills or time you have to take off.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Barudak posted:

Lmfao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

It sounds like this could have had potential if it were played in a very self aware way, but I'm guessing that didn't happen here and everyone is just stumped as to where they went wrong.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Volmarias posted:

It sounds like this could have had potential if it were played in a very self aware way, but I'm guessing that didn't happen here and everyone is just stumped as to where they went wrong.

Oh it absolutely plays at an actual cinco party. Just make sure there's real booze in the bottles and you share. They'll even call you Pinche Cabron which means best friend in Spanish. But seriously there's a major difference between a self aware Gringo and a commercialized stereotype

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Go on ahead there ese

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Barudak posted:

The fake Spanish dub is what got me, was it like "por los dealos más perfectos, vamos to our shopa chop chop" or how does that even work?

Anyway, incredible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

The fake Spanish dub is what got me, was it like "por los dealos más perfectos, vamos to our shopa chop chop" or how does that even work?

Anyway, incredible.

Think like "We haveo the muchos mustachos!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Barudak posted:

Think like "We haveo the muchos mustachos!!!"

Yeah ok that’d be a genius commercial if the white guy playing a Mexican stereotype was wearing a sombrero filled with salsa and people are dipping chips into it. That’s why it got rejected