Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

If you could, yeah that would be great. We made it a rule a while ago to cut down on people deep dives on random reddit weirdos.

I have no idea how strictly it is still enforced, but it's probably a good idea to either black out the names or do a text quote anyway.

Got it, thanks.

When comparing a video good to the lunar landings is just not good enough:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

...against Star Citizen

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I love missiles and missiles in space.

All that vectoring and CAS and turning and low range is exciting. Like a WW2 dogfight.

Oh sh-

Hang on, I just had an awesome idea for a space ship game!!!! Picture this: It's the future, but it's WW2!!!! Dogfights and all that fun stuff!!!!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Titanic posted:

I love missiles and missiles in space.

All that vectoring and CAS and turning and low range is exciting. Like a WW2 dogfight.

Oh sh-

Hang on, I just had an awesome idea for a space ship game!!!! Picture this: It's the future, but it's WW2!!!! Dogfights and all that fun stuff!!!!

I just had an even awesomer idea for a space ship game!!!! How about WW2 in the future IN SPACE and it's got AIRCRAFT SPACESHIP CARRIERS!!!! So it can be like Pearl Harbour and that day of infamy whatever and then we can have space submarines!!!! Where you have to be quiet if a spaceship goes over the top of you, woe betide Ensign Mary Sue if she drops a spanner!!!!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Space sims are where I go to reenact my favorite Das Boot moments.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

ErrEff posted:

Space sims are where I go to reenact my favorite Das Boot moments.

Jawohl Herr Kaleun!

EDIT: On a more serious note... I am praying to the gods of gaming that Chris Roberts auteur will include a tense, sweat dripping Das Boot style moment in Squadron 54 - perhaps a Vanduul warrior tapping his ignition key/lance on the hull of a space submarine listening for echoes... maybe a space bomber dropping space mines on a space ship 1200 metres below them in space, and the booming sound of their explosions permeating through the void and causing some of the erm hang on coolant pipes to burst and piss coolant all over the bridge of the space ship... or even how about a narrow channel in space which the hero has to guide his space ship through without being detected by space ASDIC?

So much fertile ground here for Crobblers to work his cinematic flair on.

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 20, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I just had an even awesomer idea for a space ship game!!!! How about WW2 in the future IN SPACE and it's got AIRCRAFT SPACESHIP CARRIERS!!!! So it can be like Pearl Harbour and that day of infamy whatever and then we can have space submarines!!!! Where you have to be quiet if a spaceship goes over the top of you, woe betide Ensign Mary Sue if she drops a spanner!!!!

Oh my god!

Let's get a Kickstarter going ASAP and start working on the cash shop!!

Hire 10 artists from artstation today!!!!

Let's get this awesome idea nobody has ever had before rolling!!!

Oh oh and it also has to be like rebels with run down equipment and like that Joss Whedon show everybody liked! And and aliens!

Oh this will be so cool just like that movie I saw once!!!!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Hmmm... I like space depth charges and being quiet in space. But only if we can also have those cool red lights!!!! Like in that Hunt for Red October movie!!

Oh my god I am just exploding with creative ideas!!!!!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Titanic posted:

Hmmm... I like space depth charges and being quiet in space. But only if we can also have those cool red lights!!!! Like in that Hunt for Red October movie!!

Oh my god I am just exploding with creative ideas!!!!!

Get those funky space doors and the killer coffee machine ordered for the office, m'lady, we're hitting the big leagues!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
But it has to be the right shade of red. If you gently caress this up I'm going to have you have to rebuild it all.

Also know what else is awesome?

All those movie scenes where the guys are all around the mess hall talking and that one cool girl walks in and the guys are like "omg who is that!!!" And the comical guy drops his fork and it slowly spins to the ground and hits the tight laces of his boots.

We better get a few more artstation people so they can start working on this mess hall scene. And I will flip out if somebody is just doing some canned animation. I want food to be eaten for real and I want the background people to take care of their trays.

And then in one scene some dude can die and they can have that main character person stare out the windows into the inky blackness of space. Can we have him smoke? Is smoking cool still??????

Do I have to think of everything around here?!!???

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Can I use a bomber to drop bombs on the carrier? Like I open the bomb bay doors and they just fall out the bottom of my ship onto the enemy- in space?

:Stares directly at Rian Johnson:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Get those funky space doors and the killer coffee machine ordered for the office, m'lady, we're hitting the big leagues!

Hang on hang on. Let's do this slowly and logically. I want offices in a high rise in Germany and some in the UK and something in Hollywood. I will need actors for my vision here. I wonder what Kevin Costner is up to these days????

Know what else we need????

Race space ships. So we can have that moment from Days of Thunder where Tom Cruise speeds through the smoke and wreckage!!! So yeah... build a whole racing piece for that ok?

But remember it has to be "in space" because that's our ace in the hole!!!!!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Titanic posted:

Hang on hang on. Let's do this slowly and logically. I want offices in a high rise in Germany and some in the UK and something in Hollywood. I will need actors for my vision here. I wonder what Kevin Costner is up to these days????

Know what else we need????

Race space ships. So we can have that moment from Days of Thunder where Tom Cruise speeds through the smoke and wreckage!!! So yeah... build a whole racing piece for that ok?

But remember it has to be "in space" because that's our ace in the hole!!!!!

Cool cool cool cool cool but you're forgetting one thing - a BARTENDER.

Scuse me while I drop the mic.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
he sells space ships by the space shore that are both accessible but not too much

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The Tom Cruise Cinematic Universe would make a great Star Citizen universe.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Hizawk posted:

The Tom Cruise Cinematic Universe would make a great Star Citizen universe.

It's perfect because everything is shrunk down to 1/6th size anyway so Tom would fit right in.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

he sells space ships by the space shore that are both accessible but not too much

The pricing is just right.

Now we need an illustration of Goldisandi and the three crobears.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Can I use a bomber to drop bombs on the carrier? Like I open the bomb bay doors and they just fall out the bottom of my ship onto the enemy- in space?

Because it's space, you can also drop bombs on things above you.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Colostomy Bag posted:

No, but you better be able to set down a wine glass and have people search for it for a prize.

Genuinely, this is the stuff that's like 49% of the reason this is my bestest most favoritest thread in the whole wide world wide web. The sheer amount of asinine bullshit that gets posted fantasizing about all the insanely boring, mind-numbing, tedious nonsense that absolutely no person would ever find entertaining or willingly do on purpose--much less for fun--has been an absolute joy to read. Seeing those gems mentioned again months or years later by other posters is actually a much needed affirmation of sanity.

I didn't dream it. It wasn't just my imagination. We all saw it happen.

.random
May 7, 2007

Dooguk posted:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Time_pants posted:

Genuinely, this is the stuff that's like 49% of the reason this is my bestest most favoritest thread in the whole wide world wide web. The sheer amount of asinine bullshit that gets posted fantasizing about all the insanely boring, mind-numbing, tedious nonsense that absolutely no person would ever find entertaining or willingly do on purpose--much less for fun--has been an absolute joy to read. Seeing those gems mentioned again months or years later by other posters is actually a much needed affirmation of sanity.

I didn't dream it. It wasn't just my imagination. We all saw it happen.

It's like a Canticle for Leibowitz - keeping the sacred knowledge alive through the dark times.

We must never forget Bag-on-head cosplay Guy - or anguished "Noo-oo-oo" CitCon demo lady - or the Last Temptation of Ben (by Sandi) - or Crobblers "CitCon=BlizzCon therefore please pay" gambit - or the thousand other stupid dumbass decisions and things that CIG has dreamt up/dumbed down/hosed up/doubled down on over the years.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Jonny Shiloh posted:

It's like a Canticle for Leibowitz - keeping the sacred knowledge alive through the dark times.

We must never forget Bag-on-head cosplay Guy - or anguished "Noo-oo-oo" CitCon demo lady - or the Last Temptation of Ben (by Sandi) - or Crobblers "CitCon=BlizzCon therefore please pay" gambit - or the thousand other stupid dumbass decisions and things that CIG has dreamt up/dumbed down/hosed up/doubled down on over the years.

I love a Canticle for Leibowitz.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Dooguk posted:

I love a Canticle for Leibowitz.

Me too, great book.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I forget the nooo citcon lady.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dooguk posted:

I mean if you've got artificial gravity who says you can't just drop things down and have them go really fast in space

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Eh, the ship is so big that whatever generates its gravity may actually have it take effect in space for a radius. I can kind of see it in that specific case. I mean why would gravity end right at the big rear end ship's hull?

EDIT: Yes, it's still loving stupid though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Never forget the guy whose dream in the game is to stand in a space station and watch the news footage sent by another player in a news van of an automated drone mining an asteroid.

.random
May 7, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Never forget the guy whose dream in the game is to stand in a space station and watch the news footage sent by another player in a news van of an automated drone mining an asteroid.

People watch other people play Minecraft on Twitch - and then give the streamer real money for it. Is this really any different? :smugdog: Checkmate.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I forget the nooo citcon lady.

Gimmie!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Just had an awesome idea. Got to get some actors on the phone for this.

But picture this. Two ships, each flying in the same direction, dropping bombs on each other. And it works because it's space.

The bombs some tug it each other in the middle but sometimes one gets through to the other ship and you see it rock and shake. The camera swings from one side to the other and it's like a mirror. One side has a zesty purple nebula around it and the other has a red nebula because they are the bad guys.

Now we go inside the ship inside the mess hall, where a janitor is trying to pick up all the trays everywhere. And a guy is there with some jackets on and tying the laces tight on his combat boots.

He looks at Mark Hamill and Mark says "Stay frosty out there."

Ohhhh jessseeee gently caress.... I think I'm having an orgasm here this is too much!!!!!!!!

Do we have the Hollywood location yet??!??? I can't build this game over night but we can start with the business!!!

Also somebody start setting up a few dozen paper companies in the Caymans and other parts of the world because we've got to funnel this money we're gonna be rolling in through something and by the heavens I deserve everything I can get.

I'll also expect backpay for the years I've been posting here with all my ideas too so this is gonna start getting expensive.

I think I want the purple Porsche too.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
why even watch daytime soap operas when you can simply watch star citizen

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TwingeCrag posted:

why even watch daytime soap operas when you can simply watch star citizen

You do realize soap opera actors are just not good enough for this magnum opus. You should at least say "watching blockbuster hits like Lucky Number Sleven".

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

The Titanic posted:

You do realize soap opera actors are just not good enough for this magnum opus. You should at least say "watching blockbuster hits like Lucky Number Sleven".

they can't afford the correct quantity of cocaine unlike proper star citizens

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Defiance Industries posted:

I mean if you've got artificial gravity who says you can't just drop things down and have them go really fast in space

This game is from a guy who thought you could swim in space

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The Titanic posted:

Oh my god!

Let's get a Kickstarter going ASAP and start working on the cash shop!!

Hire 10 artists from artstation today!!!!

Let's get this awesome idea nobody has ever had before rolling!!!

Oh oh and it also has to be like rebels with run down equipment and like that Joss Whedon show everybody liked! And and aliens!

Oh this will be so cool just like that movie I saw once!!!!

I like what I hear so far, but can you explain it again using your hands?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

I remember the goob who wanted to hang out in his 890J and bet on santa ball matches.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yes since the ships have artificial gravity in Star Wars a ship dropping a bomb out of an opening would indeed fall. Anyone who has a problem with the bombers in TLJ from a realism standpoint is either a redditor looking for things to complain about or hasn't watched any other star wars movie.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 21, 2021

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Groshlak posted:

It now is abundantly clear to me that the mashing up of the different iterations of this thread constitutes more of a coherent design plan than anything CIG might have produced in those 10 years. They seem to be faking it until they can make it but without actually really trying. In short, it's a scam.

To long, did not read - It's a scam.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

lobsterminator posted:

I often go back to this Eve Online trailer as an example of a perfect MMO ad. I've played Eve and it's not the game for me, but regardless that ad gets me hyped up. That SC video tries to showcase the best the game has to offer and it's just totally milquetoast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqoxRcP5kbo

God drat it every time I see that trailer I get hype to try out Eve, and my poor wife has to talk me off the ledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sedisp posted:

Yes since the ships have artificial gravity in Star Wars a ship dropping a bomb out of an opening would indeed fall. Anyone who has a problem with the bombers in TLJ from a realism standpoint is either a redditor looking for things to complain about or hasn't watched any other star wars movie.

If you're complaining about realism in Star Wars you kind of are looking for something to complain about.