Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

There’s always the off chance that their rifles are hammer down on an empty chamber, which makes it impossible to engage the safety on the AR pattern. An extremely unlikely event but I suppose it’s possible.

The article has that Delta guy explaining that they drop the hammer on an empty chamber on purpose, because that way if the gun won't go on safe they know it's empty. But if the gun does go on safe, they don't know the condition of the weapon. This is somehow supposed to be better than just doing it right somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Small brain: If it's on safe, it could be loaded (but unable to fire).

Big brain: If it's on fire, it could be unloaded/hammer down... or it could be loaded and snagging the trigger on a piece of gear could kill somebody.

I get the message people are trying to send with the whole "once I touch the safety I can tell it's disarmed, but until I do I have no idea and it's also completely possible it's loaded and capable of being set off accidentally" but why not just be able to tell at a glance that the weapon is incapable of being discharged, regardless of whether the chamber is loaded, barring mechanical failure?

This is a stupid argument, and I am an idiot for participating. Proper thread.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 20, 2021

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Internet Wizard posted:

There’s always the off chance that their rifles are hammer down on an empty chamber, which makes it impossible to engage the safety on the AR pattern. An extremely unlikely event but I suppose it’s possible.

Talking about bullpups being a good step forward certainly belongs here

Stupid civvy question - Why is bullpup bad?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nystral posted:

https://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2005/03/why-bullpups-are-persistently-bad-idea.html?m=1

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nystral posted:

Look cool but don't really solve any problems other than overall length

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'll still swear that my FN PS90 is probably one of the most fun guns to shoot that I own and that I've ever shot. However I haven't/never will consider using it in a "combat" situation so I can't attest to the issues surrounding bullpups in military environments.

the one thing I have noticed is the trigger pull on it is garbage in comparison to a nice conventional trigger for my AR. I know that's a huge point of contention with most bullpups, especially the Steyr AUG

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Niiiiice. Gives me that mdr fix without giving money to people who want to donate profits to any police agency that gets defunded.

Nice and hot piss posted:

I'll still swear that my FN PS90 is probably one of the most fun guns to shoot that I own and that I've ever shot. However I haven't/never will consider using it in a "combat" situation so I can't attest to the issues surrounding bullpups in military environments.

the one thing I have noticed is the trigger pull on it is garbage in comparison to a nice conventional trigger for my AR. I know that's a huge point of contention with most bullpups, especially the Steyr AUG

My rdb has a better trigger than any non geiselle/timmney ar trigger I've tried so it depends on how it's setup. I like how compact it is for hiking for predators. The friend i go hiking with in AZ had a mountain lion stalking them a couple weeks ago

Stravag fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 20, 2021

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Very basic math states that rule of cool plus barrel length increase trumps EVERYTHING else. I will die on this hill; and so it seems will the Chinese and Israelis.

In an alternate timeline the Soviets picked Korobovs 408 as their service rifle which then flooded all markets; and history ended up better and everyone was happy and all world problems solved by year 2000 by the rule of cool.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Are they really introducing a new service cartridge that doesn't defeat hard body armor? Kids wear plates to school at this point, what's even the point of investing much in that stuff.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SchnorkIes posted:

Are they really introducing a new service cartridge that doesn't defeat hard body armor? Kids wear plates to school at this point, what's even the point of investing much in that stuff.

Hard body armor can stop a full-length cartridge at close range, so what service cartridge would you want?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Hard body armor can stop a full-length cartridge at close range, so what service cartridge would you want?

The only reasonable one. A .60 bolter round. We already have space marines after all

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/16thsma/status/1383934792572407809?s=21

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ya M4 actions won't go on safe with a dropped hammer, but you just loving safe it then clear it, it's not rocket science.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

Ya M4 actions won't go on safe with a dropped hammer, but you just loving safe it then clear it, it's not rocket science.

Yeah and its pretty much the standard procesure

quote:

Point the muzzle in a designated SAFE DIRECTION. Attempt to place selector lever on SAFE. If weapon is not cocked, lever cannot be placed on SAFE.
Remove the magazine by depressing the magazine catch button and pulling the magazine down.
To lock bolt open, pull charging handle rearward. Press bottom of bolt catch and allow bolt to move forward until it engages bolt catch. Return charging handle to full forward position. If you have not done so before, place the selector lever on SAFE.
Visually (not physically) inspect the receiver and chamber to ensure these areas contain no ammo.
With the selector lever pointing toward SAFE, allow the bolt to go forward by pressing the upper portion of the bolt catch.
Place the selector lever on SEMI and squeeze the trigger.
Pull the charging handle fully rearward and release it, allowing the bolt to return to the full forward position.
Place the selector lever on SAFE.
Close the ejection port cover.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Valtonen posted:

The only reasonable one. A .60 bolter round. We already have space marines after all

THANK YOU I am glad someone else sees this

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

SchnorkIes posted:

THANK YOU I am glad someone else sees this

Has to be bullpup however. Reason being our SM are too small.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Also a dumb civilian here, but: wouldn't changing your standard-issue weapon to use completely different ammunition be a huge logistics pain in the backside? And then you've got a shitton of the old, useless ammo still lying around?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Also a dumb civilian here, but: wouldn't changing your standard-issue weapon to use completely different ammunition be a huge logistics pain in the backside? And then you've got a shitton of the old, useless ammo still lying around?

Yes; thus is exactly the cause why m14 got picked up back in the day; and why small arms procurement is such a pain.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

I think the concern is that body armor proliferation is going to make all that ammo useless anyway

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Valtonen posted:

Yes; thus is exactly the cause why m14 got picked up back in the day; and why small arms procurement is such a pain.

The M14 was designed roughly around the same time as 7.62 NATO.

The M1 Garand was forced to use 30.06 because MacArthur didn't want to change to an intermediate cartridge when they had so much WWI surplus

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah and its pretty much the standard procedure

Is that US procedure? I was taught to keep the hammer up with the selector on repetition if there wasn't one in the chamber.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
We would go through clearing barrels lol

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I understand the justification from both sides. Delta shoots an insane amount, and are largely professional gun touchers. What works for them, I wouldn't want with PV2 ASVAB Waiver with the 310 PT score.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Having to come up with some stupid head cannon as to why it's actually so much better to have the gun on fire doesn't really imply professionalism. It's a badge to wear and show off how high speed low drag you are.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
So why can't that safety be flipped decocked? And why didn't they fix it at some point in the last 60 years?

I'm sticking with my G3, which has no idiosyncrasies whatsoever.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Having to come up with some stupid head cannon as to why it's actually so much better to have the gun on fire doesn't really imply professionalism. It's a badge to wear and show off how high speed low drag you are.

I wasn't equating it with professionalism- I was saying that their method works for them because they are professional, and the way their unit works.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hypnophant posted:

I think the concern is that body armor proliferation is going to make all that ammo useless anyway

Yeah the weapons being considered now have truly staggering energy.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

SchnorkIes posted:

"Reduced heat transfer. Composite case insulates the chamber and bolt face from heat transfer, reducing wear and tear on weapon system."

Isn't reduced heat transfer undesirable?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Weka posted:

"Reduced heat transfer. Composite case insulates the chamber and bolt face from heat transfer, reducing wear and tear on weapon system."

No, it is desirable. Think about where that heat is (inside the case, exploding) and where it wants to go (any metal part around it, heating it up). Insulating that and chucking the case thus makes sure less heat gets transferred to the gun.

This is in fact one of the major drawbacks of caseless, you get a major increase in heat by not insulating, and not tossing hot cases out of the gun.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Groda posted:

So why can't that safety be flipped decocked? And why didn't they fix it at some point in the last 60 years?

I'm sticking with my G3, which has no idiosyncrasies whatsoever.

There's something about the design of the AR fire control mechanism that doesn't allow the selector to be moved when the hammer is down. So if you drop the hammer on auto, it's stuck on auto until you run the action.

There are modern AR fire control groups that have fixed this, by the way. I know the KE Arms (bleh) trigger in the WWSD2020 rifles allows the selector to move regardless of hammer position.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 21, 2021

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Weka posted:

Heat transfer to the internals would have negative effects as lubrication burned off and the metal expanded. You would eventually get metal on metal contact and the bolt would seize (I'm assuming I know nothing about guns). Heat transfer is also wasted, as it moves to the weapon instead of forcing the round out of the barrel.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CommieGIR posted:

That is a neat looking little rifle.

Looking forward to seeing them painted white and in every scifi movie and tv show in a few years

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

canyoneer posted:

Looking forward to seeing them painted white and in every scifi movie and tv show in a few years

I painted my x95 white and it looks gorgeous imo...

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

SchnorkIes posted:

That’s why the Army has been developing a 6mm round the last couple years. The goal is to end up with something like the 6.5 or 6.8 calibers that can still use AR-15 pattern receivers and mags, but have a different barrel and sometimes a different bolt head. The bigger round will give better long range performance and be better at defeating plates. Level IV plates are rated to handle 7.62x51 but usually not more than one or two. The goal with development now isn’t to be able to defeat a plate in a single hit, but to defeat it in as few hits as possible.

Also going back to full-size rounds instead of intermediates would add even more weight onto troops.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Bw1GGo8.mp4

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I was expecting something more like the thread title.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I was hoping he'd get pants'd by the bipod.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The human rear end-bench didn't rip the biggest fart he could while the dude was aiming, what kind of chickenshit outfit is this? SMDH.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

you have a bipod. just put it on the ground. it'll be ok. i promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That's a Barrett .50, right? I've never fired one - what kind of pressure wave would you expect to get off of that thing, because whatever it is it's going straight down that dude's poop chute and that can't be comfortable.