Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

So not really middle eastern?

That's a hell of a take.
Culturally they are middle eastern.
But ethno-genetically they are nilotic, not semitic like the Jews and Arabs.
Unless Jesus secretly hailed from Nubia and not Bethlehem, or at least was born to parents from there, he cannot be proven to be black.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't say no Middle Eastern people are black. I said that it's extremely unlikely the historical Jesus, should he have existed, was.

That's been my argument all along.

quote:

What? No. Middle Easterners aren't black

"Been my argument all along" Lol this was less than an hour ago.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hillary Clinton and George W. Bush both out with comments today arguing against Biden's "timetable" Afghanistan withdrawal and in favor of a "conditions-based" withdrawal.

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1384535058724265987

I get Clinton's concerns as it's really going to suck for women again in Afghanistan in a few months but also there is no way it will not suck for them unless we stay in the country for a century.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This doesn't make you right. It makes me guilty of sloppy phrasing because I chose "Middle Eastern" instead of "Judean" or "Palestinian" to avoid a different pedantic clusterfuck.

My point all along, albeit expressed poorly, is that the historical Jesus was not black, he was a member of the native population of the Roman province of Judea, who would now be generally referred to as "Middle Eastern". You have yet to prove otherwise.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 20, 2021

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hillary Clinton and George W. Bush both out with comments today arguing against Biden's "timetable" Afghanistan withdrawal and in favor of a "conditions-based" withdrawal.

Hm. In this case, I support Biden's withdrawal plan even more

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Neo Libs/ Cons gonna do their thing

I just hope we can finally end their reign on American politics for the last 30 loving years sometime soon.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Jesus is just a fairy tale, no more real than the Easter bunny or Donald Trump. Who gives a poo poo what ethnicity he supposedly was?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://mobile.twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1384622573850402830

He's been mentioned as a presidential candidate and he has a Republican primary in South Carolina in 2022 :confused:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Jesus doesn't have a race because race is a modern invention.

Quite so.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Jesus is just a fairy tale, no more real than the Easter bunny or Donald Trump. Who gives a poo poo what ethnicity he supposedly was?

I suppose I can take some solace in the fact that 2000 years from now historians will legitimately question if Trump existed or if he was purely a product of insane memes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Jesus the savior is a fairy tale (probably), Yeshua bar Yosef was a historical figure of critical importance in world history.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I misspoke. I meant the native population of Judea wasn't black.

OK now define "black".

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Orthanc6 posted:

I suppose I can take some solace in the fact that 2000 years from now historians will legitimately question if Trump existed or if he was purely a product of insane memes.
If I am still around in 1-2000 years as hoped, I would be there to remind them exactly who he was and what he did.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some conman gathering people around him doesn't seem hard to believe. All the stories don't have to be real.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Grouchio posted:

If I am still around in 1-2000 years as hoped, I would be there to remind them exactly who he was and what he did.

I'll gladly donate to the righteous cause of getting you a spacious pickle jar for your cyborg brain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1384632212860162049

So, of all our many police killings, why would you say this one is international news?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Can you guys take the question of Jesus's race to another, remotely appropriate thread on the day a historic court verdict was handed down?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

OK now define "black".

What year? What county?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1384632212860162049

So, of all our many police killings, why would you say this one is international news?

Because this one sparked historically large protests

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jaxyon posted:

OK now define "black".

In common American parlance the term is, to my understanding, usually meant to refer to someone with (usually) darker skin and a descent from or cultural affiliation with the descendants of a diverse group of Sub-Sarahan or East African (Ethiopia, Somalia, etc.) people who either immigrated to Anglophone countries or, in most cases, were brought there by force as slaves (or in the case of Australia and South Africa, were the native inhabitants before white colonization took place). Whether that's an accurate or appropriate definition, I take no position.

Another common but less useful definition is as a synonym with Sub-Saharan and East African peoples.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Can you guys take the question of Jesus's race to another, remotely appropriate thread on the day a historic court verdict was handed down?

Yeah seriously. Please either take it to another thread or put a lid on it. This isn't the venue.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Grouchio posted:

"The biggest dumbass possible. No even bigger than you're imagining. Take a narcissistic villain from a children's show and give him severe brain damage and you might get close. An utter loving coward who would just bluster and bluster and then fold at the slightest of backlash time and time again. And you had a good chunk of the population who saw him as the pinnacle of masculinity."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alkydere posted:

"The biggest dumbass possible. No even bigger than you're imagining. Take a narcissistic villain from a children's show and give him severe brain damage and you might get close. An utter loving coward who would just bluster and bluster and then fold at the slightest of backlash time and time again. And you had a good chunk of the population who saw him as the pinnacle of masculinity."

"Yeah, actually you wouldn't think so but even more people voted for him the second time"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Not to mention ESPN stopping all of their normal coverage when the film went viral and basically all of the Personalities were extremely upset and sobbing. The video was powerful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I loving love this name for the 51st State:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1384516605334405121

Washington, Douglass Commonwealth. Awesome.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Changing highway signs would be way too hard, it's the US, after all. Gotta choose a terrible name.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I loving love this name for the 51st State:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1384516605334405121

gently caress the State of Douglass Commonwealth? Hell yes

I am actually feeling hope for DC Statehood? What is this?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The one problem with adding extra states is that it really ruins the "Fifty Nifty United States" song, and by extension renders me unable to name them all.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Douglass Commonwealth is great, but a state name is a comma in it is making me weirdly grumpy. Can we, like... I dunno, hyphenate it? Washington-Douglass Commonwealth has a ring.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Lord of Hats posted:

The one problem with adding extra states is that it really ruins the "Fifty Nifty United States" song, and by extension renders me unable to name them all.

Just sing the song and then at the end.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Sanguinia posted:

Douglass Commonwealth is great, but a state name is a comma in it is making me weirdly grumpy. Can we, like... I dunno, hyphenate it? Washington-Douglass Commonwealth has a ring.

Currently, Washington is the city and the District of Columbia is the territory, so you could just call the state Douglass Commonwealth while keeping the city as Washington

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Seems like a pretty solid litmus test that it's the right decision.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

goethe.cx posted:

Currently, Washington is the city and the District of Columbia is the territory, so you could just call the state Douglass Commonwealth while keeping the city as Washington

As an actual Washingtonian, this would be the best option. :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I didn't even realize this was under consideration, but apparently the FDA is going to reduce the amount of nicotine allowed in cigarettes and considering a ban on menthol cigarettes.

quote:

Tobacco stocks drop on report Biden administration is planning to cut nicotine levels in cigarettes

Tobacco stocks tumbled Monday on a report that the Biden administration is considering whether to cap nicotine levels in cigarettes.

The report, which cited people familiar with the matter, was published in the Wall Street Journal. The paper said the discussion came as public officials approach a deadline to say whether they plan to seek a ban of menthol cigarettes or not.

The Biden administration is trying to determine if it should reduce nicotine levels in conjunction with a menthol ban or as a separate policy, the people told the Journal.

Nicotine doesn’t cause cancer, but it does make smoking more addictive. The goal of reducing nicotine levels would be to make cigarettes less addictive, hoping to coax smokers to quit or switch to other products that are considered to be safer.

The Food and Drug Administration, which has regulatory oversight of tobacco, declined to comment on the report.

“Any action that the FDA takes must be based on science and evidence and must consider the real-world consequences of such actions, including the growth of an illicit market and the impact on hundreds of thousands of jobs from the farm to local stores across the country,” Altria spokesperson George Parman told CNBC in an email.

Altria shares closed down more than 6% on the report. In extended trading Monday, shares fell an additional 2%.

British American Tobacco shares closed down 2% Monday, while Philip Morris International shares ended the day down more than 1%. Both stocks also were down after the market closed.

Philip Morris International declined to comment on this matter. The tobacco company does not sell or market cigarettes in the U.S. But its stock fell on the news regardless.

British American Tobacco didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The company owns Reynolds American, the maker of Camel cigarettes.

“Many consumers wrongly believe that a cigarette very low in nicotine content is lower in risk than traditional cigarettes, a misconception that poses a major hurdle in determining proposed rulemaking for low nicotine cigarettes,” Reynolds American spokesperson Kaelan Hollon said in an email.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/tobacco-stocks-drop-on-report-biden-is-planning-to-limit-cigarette-nicotine.html

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jaxyon posted:

OK now define "black".

Race is a construct, there are no "black" people.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
That Pelosi quote sounds like a more coherent trump.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I didn't even realize this was under consideration, but apparently the FDA is going to reduce the amount of nicotine allowed in cigarettes and considering a ban on menthol cigarettes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/tobacco-stocks-drop-on-report-biden-is-planning-to-limit-cigarette-nicotine.html

this is probably great for public health in the long run, but i can't help but wonder if it's just going to force current addicts to smoke even more to get themselves right

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

PeterCat posted:

Race is a construct, there are no "black" people.

Agreed but that discussion was getting into the weeds so it's off for now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
shut the gently caress up about what shade of brown or tan or olive or whatever jesus was, jesus loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Well that’s a bit tone deaf.

https://twitter.com/raiders/status/1384650781672939521?s=21