Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tree Bucket posted:

My grandparent's farm is buried under a spoil heap from a genuine Australian strip mining complex. Feeling very emblematic rn

:australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like tbh I was only kind of paying attention to this game and occasionally lurking this thread for news every so often

But the realization that they're clearly roasting everyone's nuts with their emblematic unit and district choices has caused my interest to skyrocket.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Having recently gone back to civ 6 and found some of the quotes and overall attitude of the game a bit lovely, I'm totally here for the humankind nut roasting.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
re: roasted nuts, it only takes one splash of spray paint to turn Australia's emblematic unit into some kind of Mad Max vehicle.
Combined with the monster mine, it's hard to escape the impression the devs have heard this continent screaming "witness me"

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 21, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope Russias modern day district is a meme factory.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Popete posted:

I hope Russias modern day district is a krokodil factory.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Look, it's the contemporary era, we might as well chuck down some strip-mines, the game's almost over anyway.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kazzah posted:

Look, it's the contemporary era, we might as well chuck down some strip-mines, the game's almost over anyway.

The climate change thread is thataway

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1384537440971632644

Emblematic unit: all-terrain PMV
Emblematic district: Strip Mining Complex

I feel like the SMC is a bit on-the-nose…

What does PMV stand for?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Charlz Guybon posted:

What does PMV stand for?

Googling lead me to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_Protected_Mobility_Vehicle

Looks like a SWAT van with a machinegun turret

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Australia's emblematic unit should be a bum with a fist coming out of it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Australia's emblematic unit should be a bum with a fist coming out of it

Do you mean a hobo or an arse? I have further questions but that's my first one

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Googling lead me to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_Protected_Mobility_Vehicle

Looks like a SWAT van with a machinegun turret

Its more like humvee

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Man this game is gunna own if all the modern civs are just getting trolled mercilessly.

PRC as a diplomacy civ with Face as their unique ability
Brazil as a culture civ with Home World Cup as their unique project
UK as an economic civ with coal mines as their unique building

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1385217409003495428

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ah gently caress I know I'm going to buy this eventually, may as well do it now rather than log 3 hours of watching twitch for the free versioin

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks like all the contemporary Civs have been data mined from this too.

USA
Australia
Brazil
China
Egypt
India
Japan
Sweden
Turkey
USSR

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i think something like nigeria or another african regional power would be better than Sweden/australia but otherwise a nice lineup

Anno
May 10, 2017

This OpenDev seems significantly better than Lucy, imo. The pace of the game is so much better and you can actually interact with other elements of the game. I'm still quite glad they delayed it and have another 4 months to tighten things up but I'm a lot more confident than before that this will be fun to play in August.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I had a vassal go Hun > Mongol in order to try and backstab me. Too bad about my megacity being able to pop out entire stacks of units. In the end nothing changed except a whole lot of people got killed.

Eras definitely go slower and farming fame vs advancing eras for tech is definitely a hard choice now. Faster population growth in the early game means that food civs are powerful now and food is not a wasted resource.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Anno posted:

USA
Australia
Brazil
China
Egypt
India
Japan
Sweden
Turkey
USSR

Saudi Arabia would be a more interesting choice than Sweden

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Saudi Arabia would be a more interesting choice than Sweden

Explain why.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Swedish emblematic district better be Ikea.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Soylent Pudding posted:

The Swedish emblematic district better be Ikea.

Ikea but you have to click and drag the hammers onto it to apply the production

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Economically and ideologically they've had a much larger impact on the world post 1945 than Sweden

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I would have replaced Turkey for Saudi or Iran or something in contemporary but IDK. It's not just a list of "most influential", it obvious comprises a bunch of variables including attempting to have a representative country from each large geopolitical area.

Take away Sweden and there's zero European contemporary cultures at all which I guess would strike a little odd. Sweden at least cuts a slightly different figure than most, in that it has a sort of neutral/ecological/social democratic aspect to it. Most of the rest are just big, populous and faintly to fully autocratic lol. I would also have liked to see Nigeria over Egypt I guess, but honestly post 1945 as a whole there's a lot more to draw on with regards to Egypt than Nigeria.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
contemporary European culture should just have been the EU for maximum salt / trolling

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there a good wiki or a guide somewhere? I know it's early days but like how do I get more stars (influence)? Why are my neighbours getting control of the territories before I am? I have played Endless Legend/Space so I know what I need I guess, I just don't really know how to get it.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Watched a few hours of streaming on this one and it seems way more interesting than last time.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jeza posted:

I would have replaced Turkey for Saudi or Iran or something in contemporary but IDK. It's not just a list of "most influential", it obvious comprises a bunch of variables including attempting to have a representative country from each large geopolitical area.

Take away Sweden and there's zero European contemporary cultures at all which I guess would strike a little odd. Sweden at least cuts a slightly different figure than most, in that it has a sort of neutral/ecological/social democratic aspect to it. Most of the rest are just big, populous and faintly to fully autocratic lol. I would also have liked to see Nigeria over Egypt I guess, but honestly post 1945 as a whole there's a lot more to draw on with regards to Egypt than Nigeria.

The USSR was made up of several modern day European nations. I'd certainly consider them a European nation, even if most of their landmass was in Asia.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

really queer Christmas posted:

The USSR was made up of several modern day European nations. I'd certainly consider them a European nation, even if most of their landmass was in Asia.

I'd probably be more inclined to consider 19th Century Russia pre-USSR as part of Europe, rather like the Ottoman Empire. I think post-1945, given the Cold War and the political divisions since then, it's a little weird to consider them part of Europe, given that the vast majority of European history post-1945 is dominated by the EEC, EU and NATO - specifically in opposition to the USSR.

I do take your overall point, but I think it just rings a little strange to me. It would almost be like saying there's a good argument for removing Japan because China is already emblematic of East Asia.

Still, it's less about who deserves to be emblematic of where and more to do of presenting a wide array of contrasting styles and politics that represent the period. Personally, I think Sweden is a pretty good pick on the whole because it captures something different from the others. Honestly it does practically seem like a stand-in for the EU lol, but since the EU doesn't really fit their mold.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Its almost like all nations would be equally valid, assuming you can videogame up a decent rationale. Everywhere has some kind of history or context to draw upon, even if it would be unfamiliar.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

contemporary European culture should just have been the EU for maximum salt / trolling
I also thought that.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Money is super overpowered once you get rolling. I've built out all my improvements and then a few districts for my cities, only thing I'm missing is the population to use it.

Also city spam wins out super hard because of how incredibly late and expensive hamlets are.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Anno posted:

USA
Australia
Brazil
China
Egypt
India
Japan
Sweden
Turkey
USSR

Turkey is an interesting choice, though they're having a sustained period of relevance for the last few years thanks to their military adventurism and Ottoman Revanchism so perhaps its more warranted than it has been in a while.

Egypt and Sweden are strange choices to me, since Egypt seems to be occupying the slot that "should" go to Iran or Saudi Arabia while Sweden could easily be replaced with a lot of other more geopolitically relevant European countries like the UK, France, or Germany. Still though, hardly a deal breaker and there is always space in future DLC for these things.

There was some speculation that the EU itself would be one of the civs but its seems like they're not going in that direction. I never had strong feelings on that one way or the other but know we know.

Overall kinda boilerplate aside from a few curveballs.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I built a megacity out of boredom:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jeza posted:

I'd probably be more inclined to consider 19th Century Russia pre-USSR as part of Europe, rather like the Ottoman Empire. I think post-1945, given the Cold War and the political divisions since then, it's a little weird to consider them part of Europe, given that the vast majority of European history post-1945 is dominated by the EEC, EU and NATO - specifically in opposition to the USSR.

I do take your overall point, but I think it just rings a little strange to me. It would almost be like saying there's a good argument for removing Japan because China is already emblematic of East Asia.

Still, it's less about who deserves to be emblematic of where and more to do of presenting a wide array of contrasting styles and politics that represent the period. Personally, I think Sweden is a pretty good pick on the whole because it captures something different from the others. Honestly it does practically seem like a stand-in for the EU lol, but since the EU doesn't really fit their mold.

Eh, the west most certainly painted the USSR as Asian during the Coldwar to try and insinuate that they were different but I'd argue it was mostly about who dominate Europe - Russia or America. Very simplistic way of looking at the cold War though, I admit.

AnEdgelord posted:

Turkey is an interesting choice, though they're having a sustained period of relevance for the last few years thanks to their military adventurism and Ottoman Revanchism so perhaps its more warranted than it has been in a while.

Egypt and Sweden are strange choices to me, since Egypt seems to be occupying the slot that "should" go to Iran or Saudi Arabia while Sweden could easily be replaced with a lot of other more geopolitically relevant European countries like the UK, France, or Germany. Still though, hardly a deal breaker and there is always space in future DLC for these things.

There was some speculation that the EU itself would be one of the civs but its seems like they're not going in that direction. I never had strong feelings on that one way or the other but know we know.

Overall kinda boilerplate aside from a few curveballs.

Egypt was pretty important in the early and mid parts of the cold War. They were also a big Hotspot during the Arab spring. Saudi Arabia definitely played a more important role in influencing the middle east and world, and Iran is already in as Persia so I assume that's why they skipped them - just like how France, Germany, and UK aren't in.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Danann posted:

I built a megacity out of boredom:

Constantinople, the Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth Romes

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

really queer Christmas posted:

just like how France, Germany, and UK aren't in.

They are in, just in the era before that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Dont pick the Goths, theres no iron anywhere :(