Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

The "genres" are sci-fi, fantasy and horror.

Basically the ones that usually have their own specific section of a comic convention floor.

The question is, why is the movie where Emilia Clark falls in love with a ghost not in one of those categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

One of these people is bound to be Abigail Brand as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The question is, why is the movie where Emilia Clark falls in love with a ghost not in one of those categories.

Maybe it's a nice ghost?

I didn't see the movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If I were an actor I don't care what the role is, I'm signing up to hang around with Samuel L. Jackson and Olivia Colman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

It that this is really predictive of anything going forward, but Adrianne Palicki already played Mockingbird.

Weren't we super close to a Mockingbird show?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, her and her partner got "burned" and written off Agents of SHIELD and they were supposed to have a spinoff on the run but it didn't get picked up and then she went to do that not Star Trek show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel%27s_Most_Wanted

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Marvel's Most Wanted, yeah. ABC passed. There was another pilot script written for a Mockingbird show that predated Agents of Shield, too, with Palicki connected to that as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe it's a nice ghost?

I didn't see the movie.

She got a heart transplant (last Christmas) and it's the ghost of the guy that gave her his heart (last Christmas).

So yeah, friendly ghost. But I don't see why the ghost being friendly makes it non genre.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

Marvel's Most Wanted, yeah. ABC passed. There was another pilot script written for a Mockingbird show that predated Agents of Shield, too, with Palicki connected to that as well.

I was shocked to learn there's apparently a pilot they pitched twice but ABC still didn't bite (shocked that it had gotten to pilot, not that ABC passed).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't one of them a backdoor pilot, though?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think so. Like there was a whole episode where they were written out in what presumably would have been the prelude to their series but it wasn't really any kind of pilot. It was a sendoff.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

She got a heart transplant (last Christmas) and it's the ghost of the guy that gave her his heart (last Christmas).

So yeah, friendly ghost. But I don't see why the ghost being friendly makes it non genre.

I guess we think of genre in terms of signifiers, symbols and tropes and although there is a fantasy element to Last Christmas it's not really dominant. The ghost is a reveal later on and the Ghost behaves and acts just like a normal person to the extent it fools Clarke. It doesn't do all the things we associate with ghosts in a genre film such as knock books off shelves, be invisible , glow, be spooky etc. It is a ghost but doesn't really conform to standard fantasy tropes of a ghost. Last Christmas probably more snugly fits into magical realism than outright fantasy, I think due to the relative muted nature of those fantastical elements.

I guess it's like it would feel weird to describe Jaws as a cop thriller*, even though the main character is a cop trying to stop a killer.

*Plus, it's a horror imo.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Does Kate and Leopold count as genre? It's a time travel romcom.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Because a friendly ghost isn't horror, obviously.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"Genre" is anything that automatically can't win an Oscar.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

CapnAndy posted:

"Genre" is anything that automatically can't win an Oscar.

Like Will Smith and Glenn Close, Hey Yooooo!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

theironjef posted:

One of these people is bound to be Abigail Brand as well.

I know that it doesn’t matter but I believe AoS had her already as well

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
She has not been on AoS.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They didn't. You're probably thinking of Victoria Hand.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gaz-L posted:

I assume Clarke's a red herring for Veranke. Like, they'll talk about the Skrull queen for the whole show and Clarke will be acting all sketchy in her scenes, and whoops, she was working for Fury the whole time and really she's... *rolls d100 on big Table o' Heroes* Spitfire. And then it turns out Colman is the real villain and gets to chew scenery.

Re-roll* what the-UATU?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

Because a friendly ghost isn't horror, obviously.

I'm now picturing a Casper remake that is basically Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, with a group of people in a haunted house screaming in terror and killing themselves every time he tries to make a friend.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
When I saw the news about Clarke, Jess was my first thought, spider-powers be damned. As far as if she wants to commit to any long running stuff again though, given she's already had a couple of aneurysms in the last decade, I'd guess she just wants to do whatever the hell she feels is fun 'cause lord knows how long her health will hold out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

It absolutely is a genre film. Nerds just get kind of gatekeepery about their terms. There are enough romantic Christmas movies starring ghosts made a year for it to get it's own corner of the aisles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, calling something a genre movie is a derisive term used by movie nerds.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Cloak & Dagger is on Disney+ in some regions. Not Europe, unfortunately, it's still an Amazon exclusive, but for the rest of you, have at it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just caught up with FatWS and I am borderline devastated they killed off Battlestar :(

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

bessantj posted:

Just caught up with FatWS and I am borderline devastated they killed off Battlestar :(

It seemed like an inevitability to me but drat it if they didn't make him likable.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

BrianWilly posted:

They didn't. You're probably thinking of Victoria Hand.

Oh yah

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Lobok posted:

But would also be accurate if they cast some total cows.

This made me chuckle, it shouldn't get overlooked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If instagram posts are to be trusted, Hawkeye has finished shooting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hopefully if she's Spider-Woman, she wears the current costume Jess wears rather than the classic, bceause if it is, just call the Horny Police and have my locked in a cell deep below the earth.

One thing that bothers me is that a lot of people are assuming Secret Invasion will be with the Skrulls invading, like in the comics. Though A) They've already layed the groundwork for Kree having infiltrators on earth and B) Establishing the Skrulls as refugees fleeing the Kree Empire and making it pretty clear the Kree are literally genocidal to them has a lot of ugly implications on the idea of refugees if you make some of them actually bad. It's feeding directly into right wing scarmongering of refugees, that many are just coming here to start trouble, so we shouldn't let any in! Even if that is really clear, that the Queens faction is evil and bad, and Talos is in charge of a peaceful faction, its still gross with current politics. Making the Kree, who have already been shown to be hegemonic imperialists. They almost certainly send in infiltrators before a full on invasion, and Carol sending Yon-Rogg home with this tail between his legs and destroying one of Ronan's ships, they probably have it in for Earth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Hopefully if she's Spider-Woman, she wears the current costume Jess wears rather than the classic, bceause if it is, just call the Horny Police and have my locked in a cell deep below the earth.

One thing that bothers me is that a lot of people are assuming Secret Invasion will be with the Skrulls invading, like in the comics. Though A) They've already layed the groundwork for Kree having infiltrators on earth and B) Establishing the Skrulls as refugees fleeing the Kree Empire and making it pretty clear the Kree are literally genocidal to them has a lot of ugly implications on the idea of refugees if you make some of them actually bad. It's feeding directly into right wing scarmongering of refugees, that many are just coming here to start trouble, so we shouldn't let any in! Even if that is really clear, that the Queens faction is evil and bad, and Talos is in charge of a peaceful faction, its still gross with current politics. Making the Kree, who have already been shown to be hegemonic imperialists. They almost certainly send in infiltrators before a full on invasion, and Carol sending Yon-Rogg home with this tail between his legs and destroying one of Ronan's ships, they probably have it in for Earth.

I think her current costume is the old costume, but I assume you're talking about the leather jacket one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

twistedmentat posted:

I've never understood what it is about the old Spider-Woman outfit that made it so ripe to be oversexualised in the eyes of artists. It's not like it's the only full-body spandex outfit worn by a female superhero. Is it really just because the chest area is partially outlined?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

I think her current costume is the old costume, but I assume you're talking about the leather jacket one.

Yea that's the one, i keep forgetting she is drawn with her red and yellow costume almost as much as that one currently. When she shows up in Captain Marvel she's wearing the jacket one.

JordanKai posted:

I've never understood what it is about the old Spider-Woman outfit that made it so ripe to be oversexualised in the eyes of artists. It's not like it's the only full-body spandex outfit worn by a female superhero. Is it really just because the chest area is partially outlined?

Yea I have never understood why Jess got it worse than like Sue or Widow. Probably the only one who got it worse that Psylock in her Kwannon phase.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's the one, i keep forgetting she is drawn with her red and yellow costume almost as much as that one currently. When she shows up in Captain Marvel she's wearing the jacket one.

Yea I have never understood why Jess got it worse than like Sue or Widow. Probably the only one who got it worse that Psylock in her Kwannon phase.

When it was Jim Lee drawing the Asian ninja version of Psylocke he at least made her look like she could absolutely snap your neck before you could blink

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

When it was Jim Lee drawing the Asian ninja version of Psylocke he at least made her look like she could absolutely snap your neck before you could blink

Yup, but her butt was hanging out a lot of the time. Carol got that a lot in her old costume too. It was funny because they actually in text talked about this stuff.

"Fashion advice from someone who used to fly around with her cheeks hanging out"

Is there any info on how you can watch MODOK outside of the US? Its only on Hulu which means it might as well be broadcasting on Pluto.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yup, but her butt was hanging out a lot of the time. Carol got that a lot in her old costume too. It was funny because they actually in text talked about this stuff.

"Fashion advice from someone who used to fly around with her cheeks hanging out"

Is there any info on how you can watch MODOK outside of the US? Its only on Hulu which means it might as well be broadcasting on Pluto.

In Europe it seems that most or all of the Hulu stuff ends up on Disney+ under the Star brand, so it might be there in some territories but I don't think they've announced anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

:filez:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Veotax posted:

In Europe it seems that most or all of the Hulu stuff ends up on Disney+ under the Star brand, so it might be there in some territories but I don't think they've announced anything.

Yea, knowing Canada it will be not shown on anything becuase of some BS rights issue. Like King of the Hill could be on Star but its broadcast rights rest with Global and they don't have a streaming service and have no plans on letting anyone else have it.

if it comes down to that. I'd rather watch it legally though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

twistedmentat posted:

Nah Pluto is really only good for their Rifftracks channel.