Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm going to play Invisible War again for some reason, and recall vaguely hearing about a mod recommended for that; has anyone got a recommendation for something to improve it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

aniviron posted:

I'm going to play Invisible War again for some reason, and recall vaguely hearing about a mod recommended for that; has anyone got a recommendation for something to improve it?

You're probably thinking of the Visible Upgrade mod. Personally I'd recommend just installing the patch component and not the textures, since the latter look a bit naff imo.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I noticed that last year some fan was experimenting with AI upscaling the game's textures to eliminate compression artifacts and even adding missing normal maps. I think they were doing similar work for Thief: Deadly Shadows.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-invisible-war-esrgan-pack

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I *think* that there is a mod like the one for Thief 3 that removes much of the loading.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Lightningproof posted:

You're probably thinking of the Visible Upgrade mod. Personally I'd recommend just installing the patch component and not the textures, since the latter look a bit naff imo.

ErrEff posted:

I noticed that last year some fan was experimenting with AI upscaling the game's textures to eliminate compression artifacts and even adding missing normal maps. I think they were doing similar work for Thief: Deadly Shadows.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-invisible-war-esrgan-pack

These are both what I was looking for, than you!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Invisible war and project: snowblind are still lingering as few of the biggest ”what could have been” games that I think of, even If I know better.

The fact that they got so shafted by console requirements of the time doesnt actually mean both of them didnt have a ton of dumb decisions built in already but it still gives them the benefit of the doubt that MAYBE had things been different they could have been... the deus ex and 3.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sometimes I still think about doing projects that would be relatively low effort to try and rehab DXIW, things like gluing the levels back together to form a coherent space, or giving every gun its own ammo and ammo types instead of universal ammo. And yes, I know, that would still be a huge effort, but it's the kind of thing that'd be possible for a single person to do as a mod project.

Ultimately what stops me from ever digging into this further and learning what, if any tools the game has, is the fact that no matter what I do, it won't fix the writing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DXIW's engine is so broken that the game isn't really fixable without moving it to an entirely new one.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
The only good thing about IW is the face JC makes when you shoot him directly in the balls with the GEP gun.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I like the Pequod's - Queequeg's war.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Vavrek posted:

I like the Pequod's - Queequeg's war.

The entire game should have focused on that. It could have been a hilarious commentary on inane corporate power struggles for utterly meaningless marketshare.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The best part about that one was it playing out in reality at the same time: Starbucks vs Seattle's Best was a thing in Seattle chain coffee, including people expressing preferences of SB over Starbucks because they didn't want to give money to Starbucks.

Starbucks had owned Seattle's Best for over six months when IW released. They've long since converted almost everything to Starbucks branding now but then, at least superficially, it looked like two actually competing chains.

I doubt IW's developers were that deeply in tune with this particular corporate buyout but the parallels were just too good.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The original DX had so much lore at least 50% of it was bound to touch reality somehow, so IW which had virtually no connection to present times nailing the fake coffee war is somehow even cooler. The cafe missions were also desperately needed content so I still view them favourably.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Omar ending is still one of the redeeming things about the game for me. Not only do you not have to side with any of the smug assholes, after you use the GEP gun takedown to silently eliminate them you get a discount on all future purchases.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Unlike the first game, the Omar ending can be argued against the One True Ending.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't see how anyone can play Deus Ex and not pick the Illuminati ending

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Go back to the same old men ruling the world or become a machine god?

Hmmm...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't see how anyone can play Deus Ex and not pick the Illuminati ending

I picked Illuminati when I was a kid, seemed like the most logical choice. Now that I know about the evils of capitalism and things of that nature it seems like the most insane choice. Regardless of your moral intent going in, it seems inevitable that you would eventually become Bob Page.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When your choices are Status quo Vs gently caress it burn it all down, and Robogod whose going to turn all of humanity into cattle I think Status quo wins

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gaius Marius posted:

When your choices are Status quo Vs gently caress it burn it all down, and Robogod whose going to turn all of humanity into cattle I think Status quo wins

See I read this sentence and I am confused by the last 5 words of it because I believe our current status quo is too morally reprehensible to be allowed to continue to exist. Talkin bout cattle, what about everyone that died to Gray Death? All the homeless people in the slums? *hits blunt* Capitalism is just like, a different cage, man

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 21, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Both illuminati and tong endings turn back the clock and will inevitably lead to the same future as the present. The only way is forward.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

See I read this sentence and I am confused by the last 5 words of it because I believe our current status quo is too morally reprehensible to be allowed to continue to exist. Talkin bout cattle, what about everyone that died to Gray Death? All the homeless people in the slums? *hits blunt* Capitalism is just like, a different cage, man

I'll separate this in two parts.

One the argument is not whether or not the current system is "Good" but rather whether it's preferable to the alternatives presented in the game.

Tong, even if it eventually brings us to a better place, would result in millions of deaths minimum. And has no gurantee that the following system wouldn't be as oppressive

Helios, is indefensible, Granting dictatorial powers to any one man is reprehensible, doing so to one who has supposedly transcended humanity is beyond the pale. What is to stop Helios from killing the vast majority of humanity to better "Serve" the rest? We cannot and should not ever trust anyone other than a human to govern human affairs

Secondly, that wasn't the Illuminati that was Bob Page, while you can easily argue someone in the future would be able to maneuver themselves into position to attempt the same as him, I believe that risk is lesser than the risk of Helios and Tong's plans

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Gaius Marius posted:

Granting dictatorial powers to any one man is reprehensible
Literally the illuminati ending.

quote:

What is to stop Helios from killing the vast majority of humanity to better "Serve" the rest?
Literally what human leaders are doing now, except without the second part. And also in Deus Ex

JCelios would've implemented the Green New Deal by now, is what I'm saying.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gaius Marius posted:

Helios, is indefensible, Granting dictatorial powers to any one man is reprehensible, doing so to one who has supposedly transcended humanity is beyond the pale. What is to stop Helios from killing the vast majority of humanity to better "Serve" the rest? We cannot and should not ever trust anyone other than a human to govern human affairs

I dunno it kinda reminds me of my initial reaction so self-driving cars. I remember thinking, if we all get self-driving cars eventually they are going to kill someone and there's going to be huge backlash. Then after I thought about it for a while I realized that even if self-driving cars killed that one person, it prevented all the deaths that would have happened if humans had been behind the wheel. At this point I'm prepared to accept that humans can't be trusted to govern human affairs. The logical end result of unfettered capitalism is an apocalypse of every natural resource completely drained dry in the name of profits for a few. To me its like asking "what if the JCelios ending results in poo poo?" while currently inside of a swimming pool filled with poo poo

edit: gently caress i just reinstalled

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 21, 2021

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Did you ever consider that maybe the conductor guy in Snowpiercer had a point? Makes u think.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno it kinda reminds me of my initial reaction so self-driving cars. I remember thinking, if we all get self-driving cars eventually they are going to kill someone and there's going to be huge backlash. Then after I thought about it for a while I realized that even if self-driving cars killed that one person, it prevented all the deaths that would have happened if humans had been behind the wheel. At this point I'm prepared to accept that humans can't be trusted to govern human affairs. The logical end result of unfettered capitalism is an apocalypse of every natural resource completely drained dry in the name of profits for a few. To me its like asking "what if the JCelios ending results in poo poo?" while currently inside of a swimming pool filled with poo poo

While I can Understand the Negativity I personally don't see the world as beyond saving, especially if we take responsibility for our own actions instead of foisting them mindlessly on technology.

edit: gently caress i just reinstalled
This was always the only option

Lork posted:

Did you ever consider that maybe the conductor guy in Snowpiercer had a point? Makes u think.
Sorry I don't watch lovely movies

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bob Page was a member of the Illuminati. Everything he did was enabled by his time in the organization. The Majestic 12 he uses were an Illuminati force. If you want to use reboot stuff then the Illuminati did the whole augmented madness massacre thing and were planning to control all Augs.

The only thing Page did by himself was the Grey Death. A big thing, but everything else was under the control of the Illuminati.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darrow did the massacre, they wanted augments regulated not shunned

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ah I didn't notice that.

He was Illuminati though and used their plan to create the massacre so their hands are not completely clean. And it doesn't say a lot about their ability to control the world when a 2nd person used their own technology to betray them in so short a time span. It looks like their ability to maintain control was slipping because technology was becoming too powerful a multiplier to stop one of them just going rogue.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Hold on; helios ending is somehow... bad?

Have you recently seen our elected and non-elected world leaders? Yea omniscient robot overlord 2000; omniscient robot overlord 2021. At least he doesnt have to Ask If he ”believes” in climate change.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yes but is Helios' solution to climate change one that mitigates human death or suffering, or one that exterminates humans so a number goes up or down?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Isn't that the point of merging with JC? That way a human can actually affect human affairs. Also as I get older I am leaning more towards the number go up or down solution because the current path we are on seems so insanely hopeless. Helios would almost certainly result in the instant dismantling of greedy corporations doing greedy rear end poo poo, which is the main reason climate change exists. The world would be a million percent better instantly in almost every way, and slightly worse in some other ways

edit: Making people afraid of transition phases is a huge reason of why the lovely rear end fucks are able to stay in power right now. Everyone agrees our current path is literally the apocalypse but nobody is willing to transition to a non-apocalypse position because of how painful the transition will likely be.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 21, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yes but when my jc wanted to break into an apartment to steal credits and drugs and was maxed out on rockets and knew he could pick up more in the next zone he opened the door with the gep gun

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Helios ending is so attractive because at the end the player usually strongly self-identifies with JC. It basically lets the player go "Well, if I was running things, I would put a stop to all the Bad Things and promote Good Things so basically it would be utopia". It's a reflection on how easy it is to succumb to narcissism when offered power over others. In reality a single human perspective cannot replace others, even when aided with a "flawless" AI. The Helios ending would simply be bad in other ways than the Illuminati status quo ante or Tracer Tong's Mad Max anarcho-primitivist proposal.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would not trust me as represented by jc to run the world. I exploded people for fun, withheld food from starving children, and made fun of a young woman who watched her father get married.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Isn't JC a clone? To a certain extent that makes him an AI as well - artificially created, at least. That puts an AI with another AI in my book.

It's almost like all the endings had upsides and downsides! :aaa:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Phigs posted:

Go back to the same old men ruling the world or become a machine god?

Hmmm...

Old men...are the future.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Illuminati is a bootlicker option, Tong is just the Joker, Helios ending is for cool dudes.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Of course I went with the Helios ending first time around because screw those crusty old weirdos at Illuminati and screw the weirdo anarchist nerd who keeps yelling in my brain about how information should be free and we should return to till the soil and stop mind-control 5G vaccines or something. How could JC+Helios be worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I went with Helios just because it's clear that humans can't run the world and will cause the end of civilization before long thanks to climate change. May as well try something else for a chance.