Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Boogalo posted:

:rip: friend's rear mech

he removed the wrong derailleur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Boogalo posted:

:kstare:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

spwrozek posted:

he removed the wrong derailleur

:drat:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Psyched for this comparo:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/welcome-to-the-2021-pinkbike-value-bikes-field-trip.html

Forgot that the Ripley AF is only 3k.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

good luck finding one though, I've been looking for one for my wife

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Boogalo posted:

*Rainier Wolfcastle voice* my mech, the dork disc does nothing

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

mashed_penguin posted:

Your list looks good to me. I can totally recommend the EDC pump. I really like mine, even without the storage it seems like a really solid pump and you can use the nozzle of it with a CO2 so thats one less thing to bring. I have their edc tool in mine with their plug kit and its got pretty much everything I need for backpack less rides closer to home.

I also highly recommend the edc pump with tool.

As far as a spare tube I just use a $8 ski tie to hold it to the frame.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Are there any fatter grips available? I already have ODI Rogues on my bike, and it seems like those and Oury grips are what people recommended for people with larger hands. Not sure I'd like ESI Chunkies.

I've also read about people double or triple wrapping with road bar tape. Has anyone ever tried that?

Maybe I should also try to get padded gloves...

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

*Rainier Wolfcastle voice* my mech, the dork disc does nothing

lmao imagine a 300mm dork disc that could actually save a modern 1x derailleur

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PolishPandaBear posted:

Are there any fatter grips available?

My friend asked this and the thickest I could find were these at 35mm:
https://www.redmonkeysports.com/products/klampz-lock-on-silicone-grips

These are 34, and I've personally used them. Maybe a touch too solid, and also not lockon:
https://jonesbikes.com/jones-kraton-h-grips/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

Are there any fatter grips available? I already have ODI Rogues on my bike, and it seems like those and Oury grips are what people recommended for people with larger hands. Not sure I'd like ESI Chunkies.

I've also read about people double or triple wrapping with road bar tape. Has anyone ever tried that?

OURY is absolutely the way to go, don't think twice. The best are the ones that don't have the lock on plastic sleeve.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are any of the air compressors around $50 worth it? Looking for something that will handle a range of pressures and volumes for road, mountain, and car.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Levitate posted:

good luck finding one though, I've been looking for one for my wife

The Ripmo AF I was supposed to get mid May has been delayed to September. I am sad.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bamhand posted:

Are any of the air compressors around $50 worth it? Looking for something that will handle a range of pressures and volumes for road, mountain, and car.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYHYHEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I bought, though it's more than your budget. It's quiet and has enough air for car tires though it may need to fill up a time or two if you're doing all 4.

Alternatively, I use one of these with me when I'm out on rides. It works for cars too but will take a long time (like 5 seconds for 1 psi) to pump up car tires. Great for biek. If you have batteries in that system already it's super cheap, otherwise about $100 with a battery and charger. Bonus weird looks at the trail head with your noisy pump.

Anybody have any recommendations on prescription glasses (safety glasses? goggles?) for riding?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 21, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bamhand posted:

the answer is almost certainly one from Harbor Freight.

Eejit posted:

The Ripmo AF I was supposed to get mid May has been delayed to September. I am sad.

Long live the franken bike

Suburban Dad posted:

Anybody have any recommendations on prescription glasses (safety glasses? goggles?) for riding?

I like my non prescription Tfosi and they do it: https://www.tifosioptics.com/prescription-sports-sunglasses/

Lasik is the answer though (I know this isn't the question but it will always be my answer)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PolishPandaBear posted:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/grips/products/mega-fat-paw-grips

These are the thickest I know of and they rule.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spwrozek posted:

I like my non prescription Tfosi and they do it: https://www.tifosioptics.com/prescription-sports-sunglasses/

Lasik is the answer though (I know this isn't the question but it will always be my answer)

Oh I would of I could but I'm apparently not a good candidate for it for some reason.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I guess I'll need to try the silicone foam style grips then. Thanks everyone.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

PolishPandaBear posted:

I like my ESI Chunky grips. I've put them on multiple bikes, always appreciate the extra material and non-slip feel, even when I forget gloves.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My buddy in Minneapolis is selling his 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 size XXL (he is so tall). Think around $1200, can ship it. Anyone need a huge rear end bike?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Long live the franken bike

At least now I have a solid reason to finally change out my nasty rear brake hose.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Has anyone done the charger 2.1 upgrade on a pike? I have a pike select that seems not so great at small bump. It looks like there are two kits, I’m thinking the $250 rct3 setup would be fine.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Earlier this week at a trailhead I had an older couple ask me about hiking, what trails I normally ride, and how to find them, at a place that is decidedly not meant for hiking. It's off the map and not somewhere you would just stumble upon - it’s on logging company property that a local trail alliance has an agreement with. I told them this and emphasized that the trails are steep and winding, with berms and jumps, and that they really shouldn't hike here. Their response was “well there’s only one car other than yours so we probably won't run into anybody.” I’m all for hiking and getting out on less popular trails… but they didn’t seem to care that these were not hiking trails. I told them that they could get seriously injured if someone comes flying down a dedicated bike trail and isn’t expecting to see hikers and they just brushed it off with a “thanks for the heads up, we’ll just go exploring” and that was that. Thankfully I didn’t see them once I got out but it made it a lot harder to let loose for fear that I’d run into them.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

yoohoo posted:

Earlier this week at a trailhead I had an older couple ask me about hiking, what trails I normally ride, and how to find them, at a place that is decidedly not meant for hiking. It's off the map and not somewhere you would just stumble upon - it’s on logging company property that a local trail alliance has an agreement with. I told them this and emphasized that the trails are steep and winding, with berms and jumps, and that they really shouldn't hike here. Their response was “well there’s only one car other than yours so we probably won't run into anybody.” I’m all for hiking and getting out on less popular trails… but they didn’t seem to care that these were not hiking trails. I told them that they could get seriously injured if someone comes flying down a dedicated bike trail and isn’t expecting to see hikers and they just brushed it off with a “thanks for the heads up, we’ll just go exploring” and that was that. Thankfully I didn’t see them once I got out but it made it a lot harder to let loose for fear that I’d run into them.

There was just a big ol Facebook post in our local trail group about hikers routinely getting on to B Line at Red Hill. It's a steep, techy, loose, and exposed one way descent that puckers my rear end in a top hat on my best days.

Literally every other trail allows hiking and in fact there's a hiking only trail that roughly parallels it, but for some reason people just gotta go walk up it. It's led to multiple MTB injuries, despite a poo poo ton of signage.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Every year when new college students show up, I run across someone walking up the DH-only-and-signed-as-such Don't Think (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr-8uYeq260)

Last year, it was someone with over-the-ear headphones on who did not even look up. After that experience I decided to assume nobody can read signs and take it super slow at Tech Trails on any blind corners/rises after August.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vote_no posted:

Every year when new college students show up, I run across someone walking up the DH-only-and-signed-as-such Don't Think (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr-8uYeq260)

Last year, it was someone with over-the-ear headphones on who did not even look up. After that experience I decided to assume nobody can read signs and take it super slow at Tech Trails on any blind corners/rises after August.

There is another Houghton person on here? (Tech grad myself but living in CO)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Multiple iirc. I was so close to being one this year, was going to try for the temp trailworker job in copper harbor but my layoff ended :/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Car Hater posted:

Multiple iirc. I was so close to being one this year, was going to try for the temp trailworker job in copper harbor but my layoff ended :/

Yeah I know one of them. Just funny since so few people live there.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

n8r posted:

Has anyone done the charger 2.1 upgrade on a pike? I have a pike select that seems not so great at small bump. It looks like there are two kits, I’m thinking the $250 rct3 setup would be fine.

I did the charger upgrade on a boxxer and didn't find it made a huge difference. This was an older boxxer with mission control damper and I was upgrading that to the first charger damper.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

n8r posted:

If you already have the charger 1 damper then there is very little benefit to going to the rct3. Have you got the debonair air spring in yours ? That is a cheap upgrade that is well worth doing on any pike that has a solo air.

I've been nerding with my 2017 pike lately and recently tried putting a couple of tokens in and lowering my spring rate a bit. It has improved it over all. Its definately more compliant in the chundery roots without bottoming out.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Car Hater posted:

man gently caress that real job come be a dirtbag

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have recommendations for a decent, moderately priced pair of biking sunglasses? None of my normal sunglasses are particularly good for riding so I want to get a pair that are better for wind and debris.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Eejit posted:

I think there are a lot of people in the same boat. If you want a bike now you better be prepared to roll Walmart or have dentist money to spend.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

rockcity posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a decent, moderately priced pair of biking sunglasses? None of my normal sunglasses are particularly good for riding so I want to get a pair that are better for wind and debris.

I’ve seen the tifosi sledge reviewed as a good budget option. There’s a half frame version too.

E: budget is like $75 or $80, I don’t know what your definition of moderate priced is.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 24, 2021

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ought ten posted:

I’ve seen the tifosi sledge reviewed as a good budget option. There’s a half frame version too.

E: budget is like $75 or $80, I don’t know what your definition of moderate priced is.

Maybe $100 or so. I’m flexible on that, I just don’t want to blindly drop a ton of money on a pair if there are sort of a highly recommended good value option.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommend me a women’s saddle for a dropper. My wife rides with her rear end in the seat and it wears her out. Haven’t gotten to the “stand on your pedals when rolling over a log” point yet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ought ten posted:

They’re usually like $100-140 or so, but I wear Ryders Seventh. I have a transition pair for general use so they stay clear and still keep poo poo out of my eyes on cloudy days, and a regular “sort of” polarized pair for summer so it keeps the glare down but doesn’t hide slick surfaces.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommend me a women’s saddle for a dropper. My wife rides with her rear end in the seat and it wears her out.

If she's going to use the dropper, does it matter as much what the saddle is?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

kimbo305 posted:

If she's going to use the dropper, does it matter as much what the saddle is?

If she used the dropper or did anything other than glue her rear end to the saddle for the entirety of the ride, no, but that’s a ways off still

The dropper is a matter of clearance / compatibility if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I’m interpreting your question as “what saddle should she get if she’s committed to riding 100% seated? And also she does have a dropper post that always stays up”

If that’s accurate, then any steel railed saddle will work — a dropper uses the same rail clamping system as other posts.

As for which model, that’s still unfortunately determined entirely by experimentation. You could do some measurements to see if her current saddle is the wrong width.