Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CyberPingu posted:

Removal of existing titles is dumb but yes to all the rest.

In reality theres very little governing bodies can do to clubs without punishing the players which sucks as its not their fault. Besides forcing sales

Shouldn't be scared to indirectly punish players at the Big Clubs, they'll be alright. They've all got good contracts and lots of demand for their services. The rest of football is more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Don’t give up so easy Andrea

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Each team who was part of this should be automatically demoted 4 league places at the end of the season. Not qualifying for the Champions League would be a legitimate punishment but of course this will be unpopular with the decision makers because UEFA are money hungry greedy fucks themselves and that would damage the tournaments prestige.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

sassassin posted:

Shouldn't be scared to indirectly punish players at the Big Clubs, they'll be alright. They've all got good contracts and lots of demand for their services. The rest of football is more important.

I think if the players had gently caress all to do with this its a bit cunty, but i agree that football is more important.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I feel like there's no chance UEFA will properly punish the clubs that have returned to the "European Football Family". From the sounds of it, they'll just be rewarded with bigger CL payments, which is probably exactly what they wanted from all this.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

I feel like there's no chance UEFA will properly punish the clubs that have returned to the "European Football Family". From the sounds of it, they'll just be rewarded with bigger CL payments, which is probably exactly what they wanted from all this.

I think the owners legit wanted this breakaway but they didnt expect the insane negative backlash, or just thought they could ride it out.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Honestly I think having the CL without the breakaway clubs next year would give us a lot of fun matches until Bayern and PSG get drawn against West Ham and Ajax in the semis

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Fans and players at Portsmouth and Wigan had no say in the dickhead owners who ruined their clubs, no one was crying over them when they got double deductions of points. Players will move to new clubs. Kane can play out of West Ham if he can’t be arsed to learn a new route to work

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

greazeball posted:

Honestly I think having the CL without the breakaway clubs next year would give us a lot of fun matches until Bayern and PSG get drawn against West Ham and Ajax in the semis

They should be suspended for a year at least, but thats not happening

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Total Meatlove posted:

Fans and players at Portsmouth and Wigan had no say in the dickhead owners who ruined their clubs, no one was crying over them when they got double deductions of points. Players will move to new clubs. Kane can play out of West Ham if he can’t be arsed to learn a new route to work

It's only the young players in academies that might face cutbacks or closures when the teams are booted own to the National League that I'd feel any sympathy for. The rest is just the life of a normal footballer.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yes uefa fought tooth and nail to stop their cash cows leaving their competitions only to suspend them from their competitions, that is a realistic thing that will certainly happen

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

CyberPingu posted:

UEFA don't give a poo poo about FFP so they should just calm down.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

yes uefa fought tooth and nail to stop their cash cows leaving their competitions only to suspend them from their competitions, that is a realistic thing that will certainly happen

If the 12 stay, what’s to stop them doing this next year?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

yes, "fail then rage quit"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/Barca_Buzz/status/1384805645501800449

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

sassassin posted:

It's only the young players in academies that might face cutbacks or closures when the teams are booted own to the National League that I'd feel any sympathy for. The rest is just the life of a normal footballer.

For the London based clubs they’d still be within catchment of six or seven academies, same with the Manchester based ones. Hard lines for Liverpool fans playing out of Everton though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Total Meatlove posted:

If the 12 stay, what’s to stop them doing this next year?

Some of the statements say they're working to reshape the idea not that it's dead. Pep spent more time blasting UEFA than the super league. It's not going away, whatever the Sky pundits said last night.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

sassassin posted:

Some of the statements say they're working to reshape the idea not that it's dead. Pep spent more time blasting UEFA than the super league. It's not going away, whatever the Sky pundits said last night.

That’s what I mean. Either the FA’s cut them off at the knees or they end up in the same situation again and again. If these clubs are so super wonderful and popular, they’ll easily rack up 70k gates playing Accrington and Crewe.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The various bodies that allowed the likes of the Glazers into the sport need to take measures to get them back out. Anything else just fucks over the players and fans.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

CyberPingu posted:

If UEFA couldn't make the Man City ban stand, there's no chance of anything happening here.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

tbh they absolutely could have rode out the criticism. it’s shocking how unprepared they were though.

i doubt any of these clubs even have a risk analysis or due diligence report sitting anywhere on their desktops. it’s always been shocking how unprofessionally these multi-billion dollar organizations are run.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

tbh they absolutely could have rode out the criticism. it’s shocking how unprepared they were though.

i doubt any of these clubs even have a risk analysis or due diligence report sitting anywhere on their desktops. it’s always been shocking how unprofessionally these multi-billion dollar organizations are run.

lol if you think that people like Agnelli or Perez are capable of processing any risk analysis or due diligence report that doesn't say "you are awesome and your idea is brilliant and there is no risk, only money for you in its execution"

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Bundy posted:

The various bodies that allowed the likes of the Glazers into the sport need to take measures to get them back out. Anything else just fucks over the players and fans.

Mickolution posted:

If UEFA couldn't make the Man City ban stand, there's no chance of anything happening here.

:lol:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

idk the fan associations will have felt empowered by this, which could (could!!!) have implications down the road if they can stay organised, united and serious

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I think that the players and managers seem to have said they wouldn't support it would have made it difficult.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
They could have probably made the league happen but it would have been without any kind of safety net of using the old system to prop it up during the initial years, so that's probably what scared them off it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bundy posted:

100%.

My ideological position remains that if you're a Chelsea fan you deserve to fall into a grain silo full of dildos, but fundamentally there was no obligation on them to be out there protesting last night. There was no obligation on Rashford or Henderson to take a public position against it. Those things stopped this from happening, much more so than Everton putting out a strongly-worded press release.

Doing nothing to change the actual circumstances that have led to this point in favour of just taking arbitrary punitive actions that will mostly affect the people who saved football (hardworking shitposters like me, and to a lesser extent Marcus Rashford) is super short-sighted, somehow assumes that West Ham's owners are actually good and have the game's best interest at heart, and will also get thrown out of court since the FA can't just arbitrarily dock you 30 points for associating with Florentino Perez.

Ownership rules, debt controls, ticket price caps, and a big statue that says "where were you when ewar woowar was kil"

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Bundy posted:

Correct and they aren't even the worst owners.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Like a European Superleage is probably a viable proposition in all honesty (well except for Brexit maybe loving up things logistically). It cant however be a dumb yank franchise system with the same plastic teams and no relegation. I'd be all for something to slot in at the top of a pyramid, that your club could feisably... just maybe scrape into once in a blue moon. Ditch the Champions league while we're at it and bring back the European Cup/Cupwinners Cups.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Like a European Superleage is probably a viable proposition in all honesty (well except for Brexit maybe loving up things logistically). It cant however be a dumb yank franchise system with the same plastic teams and no relegation. I'd be all for something to slot in at the top of a pyramid, that your club could feisably... just maybe scrape into once in a blue moon. Ditch the Champions league while we're at it and bring back the European Cup/Cupwinners Cups.

No...gently caress off, having a competition with guaranteed entry is dumb

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

CyberPingu posted:

That's... exactly what he's saying.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The latter resolves the former

The Premier League and Champions League came about to create television spectacles so that football could be marketed to more fans than matchday going locals and avid watchers of MOTD on Saturdays. A full meritocracy isn't as marketable due to the inherent unpredictable nature of it, such as Forest winning the EC twice back to back. Any attempts to further monetisation requires a removal of the uncertainty or just padding air time. ESL tried the first, UEFA's new CL proposal goes with the second.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 21, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah that's why its sits at the top of the national league pyramids with promotion/relegation?

Bundy posted:

The latter resolves the former

Still need some mechanism for some lower league team to have a Cinderella story and win the big prize.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

uXs posted:

That's... exactly what he's saying.

Then what's the point in ditching the CL?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Replace each club that wanted to join the ESL with a grassroots club from the same region. Stretford Paddock can replace both Manchesters.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Yeah that's why its sits at the top of the national league pyramids with promotion/relegation?

The super league wasn't replacing domestic games

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

The super league wasn't replacing domestic games

Not yet! Had to try and get fans on board with the replacement CL before you tried to convince them that the ESL is better and the domestic league is not good enough anymore, too many injuries, etc. so now we’re expanding the ESL! It’ll be a full time league against the best clubs in the world!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah this was a long term replacement for weekend games. That "market" is bigger.

Me stakeholders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The immediate problem that I'd see with an ESL with promotion/relegation is that even more than now, it'd quickly become hardlocked to teams from the big four leagues and maybe a couple of billionaire oil clubs. The current system at least limits it to four clubs per nation (five if the holders don't qualify) out of 32, with some effort being made to include champions of minor leagues.

If I was going to do anything, I'd be inclined to merge the Champions League and Europa League, and have six-team groups split over three days midweek. More games and more chance to get in for the big teams, and guaranteed places for the top 20+ title winners. Yes, you're going to have a bunch of boring, stupid games, but that's the nature of football and people still go to watch West Brom every week.