Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

building a new pc in anno domini 2021 so i can see the peak of red mountain from the alleys of old ebonheart as kirkbride doubtless intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's the best resource for learning to mod morrowind today? A certain you tube series or forum? I'd like to modify some item values, which, based on what I saw last night, doesn't seem too hard, but all the same I want to be careful and do it right.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's the best resource for learning to mod morrowind today? A certain you tube series or forum? I'd like to modify some item values, which, based on what I saw last night, doesn't seem too hard, but all the same I want to be careful and do it right.

For just modifying like....weights and stuff? Just open the cs and load morrowind tribunal and bloodmoon, click yes to all and you're set. Its laid out with different tabs for armor weapons etc, it's all pretty straightforward. The only weird part is cleaning the mod at the end to remove errant edits that are unavoidable. All of the tutorials for this are like 16 min long for some reason but it's dead simple. Either download TESame and manually remove edits from the esp, or use tes3cmd which is a command line utility and you type "tes3cmd clean yourmod.esp" and it makes a clean version of it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was going to manually increase the value of generic enchanted items, so that, for example, the enchanted short blades that are sold in the Balmora's fighter's guild cost a bit more.

I watched a couple tutorials online last night and loaded up the CS, and yes it did look very simple; I just wanted to do enough research ahead of time to avoid making any stupid assumptions.

Edit: The "wisdom" of the mod is a completely separate topic from making the mod correctly but, like, I'm level 4 currently and, with the various mods I've installed, I'm flat broke and loving it. Kayde just gave me 200 gold to cover travel expenses when I returned the Chapel's limeware bowl and I was darn grateful since I was gathering mushrooms and nix hound meat to pay for the boat rides back. Now, at the same time, the Ald Ruhn Mages guild will sell me a cloth belt enchanted with healing magic that would be a big help to the incidental healing I need while traveling and it costs...less than half the price of traveling from Hla Oad to Ebon Heart.

What I'm doing currently is just completely avoiding sold magic items, but I'd like to instead bump the prices up to something that feels right so I can start engaging with them.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 21, 2021

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
These guides helped me get back into CS after abandoning it for 15 years: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/tr-modders-guide

DEG has a bunch of tutorials on his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MorrowindModdingShowcases/search?query=tutorial

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Great, thank you both; I agree that the act of editing the values in CS seems dead simple, it's the concern over corrupting the data file and the broader act of making it a plugin someone can install and install that I want to be careful about. Probably all simple stuff I'll learn all about in the links, so no need for anyone to explain it here, I'll study up.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 21, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Great, thank you both; I agree that the act of editing the values in CS seems dead simple, it's the concern over corrupting the data file and the broader act of making it a plugin someone can install and install that I want to be careful about. Probably all simple stuff I'll learn all about in the links, so no need for anyone to explain it here, I'll study up.
That's not really a risk, worst that happens if you create something catastrophic and game-ruining is that you just turn the mod off/delete it and - at worst - reload a save from before you installed it, but honestly you probably wouldn't even need to bother with the latter. Go nuts.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

if it were this easy to gently caress up 12 year old me wouldnt have done it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone ever encountered a bug where sometimes when you save the game/go into menus, you get teleported to a random Dunmer stronghold once you're out of the menu? :psyduck:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone ever encountered a bug where sometimes when you save the game/go into menus, you get teleported to a random Dunmer stronghold once you're out of the menu? :psyduck:

That's a new one. you could always just COC to wherever you used to be.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Grand Fromage posted:

No, but I would be extremely interested in any more details about it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that happens to me IRL every once in a while

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Musical_Daredevil posted:

No, but I would be extremely interested in any more details about it.

I don't know what's going on, it started happening yesterday after I'd been playing a few hours. I went to save my game manually in a new slot, then when I was out of the save menu I was standing in Marandus. This happened several times and I had to go back to a quicksave, which never caused this. Then once when I was assigning a new quickslot I came out of the menu and was in Falasmaryon. I was on the surface, so I don't think it's a master index plugin bug. I do have a teleport charm mod installed though. I haven't used it but have it in my inventory.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After putting it off for ages I finally sat down and read through c0da...I seriously have no idea what on earth I just read.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

So, is it taking you to propylon chamber exterior cells?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, is it taking you to propylon chamber exterior cells?

No, just the surface. Doesn't seem to be connected to the propylon network.

E: I just tried the teleport charm and it looks like it brings me to the same place as the menu bug is, so maybe that's firing off for some reason. Guess I can get rid of that plugin if it gets annoying and see if it stops. Irritating if that's it, I don't use the teleport much but after thousands of hours of Morrowind sometimes I just don't want to fuckin' walk somewhere to finish a quest.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 21, 2021

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know what's going on, it started happening yesterday after I'd been playing a few hours. I went to save my game manually in a new slot, then when I was out of the save menu I was standing in Marandus. This happened several times and I had to go back to a quicksave, which never caused this. Then once when I was assigning a new quickslot I came out of the menu and was in Falasmaryon. I was on the surface, so I don't think it's a master index plugin bug. I do have a teleport charm mod installed though. I haven't used it but have it in my inventory.

Do you remember what you did right before you saved to a new slot? Also, can you post your modlist?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Do you remember what you did right before you saved to a new slot? Also, can you post your modlist?

Walking around east of Gnisis the first time. There's no pattern at all to when it happens.

Mods are:
Chalk
Morrowind Optimization Patch
Patch for Purists
correctUVrocks
Creature VFX restoration
RopeFenceFix 1.4
Glowing Flames
Expeditious Exit
abotLoadingDoors116
quest_skill_reward_fix
Run Fix
Skill Increase GMST Fix
Project Atlas
Intelligent Textures
kart_facelift_meshes
kart_facelift_textures
Better Dialogue Font
Pete's Scroll
Expansion Delay
Early Transport to Mournhold
Adamantium Ore Fix
Divyath Fyr Puzzle FIxed
Dubdilla Location Fix
Services Restored
No More Sheep
The Publicans
Better Questlist 1.1
HUD weapon charge
Shrine tooltips
SmartAmmo101
UI expansion
Hotkeys extended 1.1.3
Security enhanced
Torch hotkey
Better waterfalls
Waterfalls tweaks
Bitter coast scum replacer
Near vanilla road sign replacer
Vivec palace water replacer
Yet another guard diversity regular
Subtle magic glow
Subtle smoke
Apel rain replacer 1_0
gtlfcs
STFUCR
Graphic herbalism MWSE
GH patches and replacers
Graphicherbalism lighting
GH ash yam collison
Improved temple experience
MWSE hide the skooma
Beware the sixth house
Tribunal rebalance
Bloodmoon rebalance
Book worm
Fair magicka regen v2B
Quickloot
Next generation combat
Ashfall
Multiple teleport marking
Skills module
COT_Easy_En (that's this which I think is the culprit: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49183?tab=description)
Buyable houses
Darknut's better clothes textures
Vanilla friendly west gash tree replacer
Remiros' ascadian isles trees
PB mushroom tree replacer
All-In-One
Perfect placement
Morag tong polished
The official plugins

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The official plugins lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Why is that lol? The propylon indexes and adamantium armor aren't in the base game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

After putting it off for ages I finally sat down and read through c0da...I seriously have no idea what on earth I just read.
Canon

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was cool as hell..I just wish I was powerful enough to comprehend most of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grand Fromage posted:

Why is that lol? The propylon indexes and adamantium armor aren't in the base game.

Fort whatever the gently caress with a bazillion skeletons.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Tbh idk if it'll break anything installing mid game, but Unofficial Morrowind Official Plugins Patched bugfixes the official plugins and also has a merged all-in-one plugin too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Proletarian Mango posted:

Tbh idk if it'll break anything installing mid game, but Unofficial Morrowind Official Plugins Patched bugfixes the official plugins and also has a merged all-in-one plugin too.

Thanks for something with actual information, I didn't know there were bugs in them. I've already picked up a few indexes so I'm guessing I shouldn't mess with it at this point.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

theyre all basically trash and contain dirtied game records so any mod that changes game settings is going to be set back to default by these mods. the all-in-one cleaned version is the only way to play them and even then theyre not great

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

theyre all basically trash and contain dirtied game records so any mod that changes game settings is going to be set back to default by these mods. the all-in-one cleaned version is the only way to play them and even then theyre not great

All right. Is there a better propylon mod? I don't really care about the other ones and apparently adamantium armor is added by Tribunal anyway.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

All right. Is there a better propylon mod? I don't really care about the other ones and apparently adamantium armor is added by Tribunal anyway.

I've never used a propylon in 20 years of playing morrowind so I can't give good advice on this. just use the cleaned version provided by https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43931?tab=description

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I never understood the propylon thing, isn't just a bunch of heavy things that let you teleport to poo poo no where near places you would actually want to be?

Get a multi-mark teleport mod if you need easier fast transit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skwirl posted:

I never understood the propylon thing, isn't just a bunch of heavy things that let you teleport to poo poo no where near places you would actually want to be?

Get a multi-mark teleport mod if you need easier fast transit.

It does let you get from anywhere near a Dunmer stronghold to the Caldera Mages Guild, which then connects you to that network.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hooah posted:

It does let you get from anywhere near a Dunmer stronghold to the Caldera Mages Guild, which then connects you to that network.

Divine or Almsivi intervention should get you pretty close to either a mage guild or a stilt walker that can get you to a mages guild.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I remember them being neat. I probably haven't played Morrowind in a decade (except briefly to look around Tamriel Rebuilt once) so I don't exactly have current knowledge of the game. I don't think Nexus was even a thing the last time I was downloading mods, you had to dig around little sites for them.

Anyway I swapped in the cleaned plugin version and nothing appears to be broken, so that's taken care of.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Bethesda should have built on this instead of introducing a fast travel system... :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Don't they weigh a lot too? like 5 pounds each?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Two, but you don't actually haul around all ten, you give them to a dude and get a master index that works in every chamber.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Has anyone else been playing the VR branch of Open MW lately? I am surprised at how well it works on a Rift S. There is something screwy going on with the frame times because it reprojects every third frame or so, yet displays a solid 80 FPS in the Oculus Tray Tool performance graph. The only way I've been able to make it a totally smooth experience is by reducing the draw distance to around 2 cells. Anything over that forces reprojection. Weirdly, 10 cells isn't any worse than 2.1 cells. Using a 6700k and 3080 for reference.

New char walking speed is exceptionally good in VR and the Boots of Blinding speed make me wanna hurl because it is too fast. It has been a pretty great experience so far. Hand to hand is great. Water shaders tank VR performance and shadows are screwy when set to medium or high settings, so it is far from the best way to play at the moment, but I would absolutely recommend checking it out if you have a headset and want to meander around Morrowind's towns and cities.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I made a test edit on Wayne's items so I can pop into the Balmora's Fighter's Guild and see how things seem, but TES3CMD doesn't seem to be creating any new .esp. Is this working as intended because it didn't have to clean anything? In the example videos I've seen the process generates some more lines and then creates a "clean_X" file:

Edit: It seems to work fine.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 21, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yeah if you're particularly judicious you wont dirty anything. Loading a single cell on the other hand will dirty it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just an observation, regarding "generic magic weapons" in Morrowind:

A mundane Steel Long Bow has a value of 50.

A Steel Long Bow that can cast Bound Long Bow for 60 seconds and a 1-10 point Lighting Shield for 10 seconds has a value of 265.

A Steel Long Bow that can only cast Bound Long Bow for 60 seconds has a value of 11000.

I have no idea if that third value is perhaps fixed in some sort of patch already (surely it's a mistake), I'm just viewing it both at uesp.net and my CS; anyway I'm changing them both to 175.