Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (November 13-19, 2000)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Sad Bear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRNrADD8IYE

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 11, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 11, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 11, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 12/10-12/42

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "27 - Jucika and Firewood for Winter."

"Jucika goes to Lake Balaton."

"Árvíz károk újjáépítéséhez = For reconstruction of flood damage"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 11, 1999)

I'm having flashbacks to the late 1990s in my house

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "27 - Jucika and Firewood for Winter."

"Jucika goes to Lake Balaton."

"Árvíz károk újjáépítéséhez = For reconstruction of flood damage"

You know for a bunch of cheesecake little scribbles it's insanely good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (November 13-19, 2000)

Good old Bill Holbrook...yes, sir! Throwing a completely legitimate ethical question out there only to heavy-handedly make it clear that only one side is right, not due to the merits of their argument, but because the people on the other side are morally deficient in some unrelated way. Good old Bill Holbrook...how I hate him!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
It's a weird thing when the villain of a strip is using illegal methods to do a potentially helpful thing. I guess that's Holbrook for you.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I would bet she does not get an in strip refund.

I do not believe she paid anything out up front, and there wasn't a signed contract or anything.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

I'm having flashbacks to the late 1990s in my house

Same, but "growing facial hair because my girlfriend likes it."

Also, my ALL TIME FAVORITE flavor of Compu-toon is two people on a desert island with a joke that does not at all require them to be on a desert island.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 21, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kind of surprised to see Leopold being described as Gary's henchman, and Leopold himself not taking any offense at this description.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

...Yes, I picked up a pencil and did it too. I couldn't help it. :(

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I thought he had a mental breakdown and the court declared he wasn't fit to be a parent and awarded full custody to Anja?

But I think it's weird he's not here at all in this story. I got the impression things weren't entirely good last we saw him either, didn't like the way Anja was running things (though he still went along with it).

I don't remember any court decisions I think he just had a mental breakdown and just left.

But yeah I also don't think things were exactly great even after he got back with Anja. He was still depressed, and not thrilled at what he was being used for, and the vibe I got was none of the usual townies were sympathetic. The few times he's mentioned by Mikko in this book I think hasn't been any better.

If I wanted to read into it any I get the vibe of just going with it not for any feelings he has (or had) towards his family but because at least it keeps him doing something.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Powered Descent posted:

Family Circus

Some top-tier expressions in both strips today.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

...Yes, I picked up a pencil and did it too. I couldn't help it. :(

Two days in a row where I chuckled at Family Circus on its own intended terms, what the hell is happening to me

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Sorry all, real life got in the way there for a couple days. Congratulations to Dr. Wonderful!

Classic Zits

It’s so weird to me how instinctive the wet-your-finger thing is. At my dad’s most recent wedding, my youngest stepbrother was pretty overwhelmed and upset, so I was feeling protective and maternal towards him and did that without even thinking, and was shocked as soon as I realized what I’d done.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 21, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Green Intern posted:

I do not believe she paid anything out up front, and there wasn't a signed contract or anything.

You're right. She didn't pay,

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

rannum posted:

I don't remember any court decisions I think he just had a mental breakdown and just left.

But yeah I also don't think things were exactly great even after he got back with Anja. He was still depressed, and not thrilled at what he was being used for, and the vibe I got was none of the usual townies were sympathetic. The few times he's mentioned by Mikko in this book I think hasn't been any better.

If I wanted to read into it any I get the vibe of just going with it not for any feelings he has (or had) towards his family but because at least it keeps him doing something.

I went back and looked at the earlier posts, and this is the one I was thinking about :

And in the earlier strips there where no signs of Heimo having any kind of depression when I went through them again, when Mikko was a baby he seemed like a devoted stay at home father, who loved it despite the attitudes of such a thing at the time. This depression stuff hit around when Uffe came and it the condom stuff came out as well. Seems weird though how he changed.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #132 (1992)

Batman (11/12/1989)
The site I'm grabbing scans of these from splits up Sundays in a kind of strange way so please bear with it.
\

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Crab Dad posted:

You know for a bunch of cheesecake little scribbles it's insanely good.

I know, right?!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 05, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Nov. 05, 1944)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

His Divine Shadow posted:

I went back and looked at the earlier posts, and this is the one I was thinking about :

And in the earlier strips there where no signs of Heimo having any kind of depression when I went through them again, when Mikko was a baby he seemed like a devoted stay at home father, who loved it despite the attitudes of such a thing at the time. This depression stuff hit around when Uffe came and it the condom stuff came out as well. Seems weird though how he changed.

I think Heimo’s “sudden” depression and hermitage only seems odd because the strip does so much time skipping that we missed the months where he was home alone with his kid. That was also combined with the constant jeering and abuse from the county government. Even if he was outwardly “fine” it’s not a stretch to say he was having mental health issues long before he found out about the condom.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

We've got one adventure left, so I thought I'd circle back and share the short origin story of Modesty and Willie first. And now, In the Beginning:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man I always love how the old comics would have Joker's laughter just...wrapped around him. It's such a great visual.

The Dinette Set's legs aren't broken.

Working Daze is doing this all week I guess. Also that's the same punchline as yesterday's.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix needs to get out more.

Cul De Sac shakes up the cast!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

The Medieval Castle (Nov. 05, 1944)

Oh you absolute fucker :mad:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Evil Mastermind posted:

M

Cul De Sac shakes up the cast!

:kimchi: I didn't know / had forgotten that Dill has a dad

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (November 1, 1991)

A problem with Koivisto's writing is that he's sometimes a bit too subtle and between-the-lines. We're not going to see Heimo for the rest of the series here, and it is never really explained what he's doing right now or why he became like this. The best I can offer is that with everyone constantly demanding something of him, he simply resigned himself to his fate as a company exec who's constantly at work doing something for someone else. There's another plot line with a similar problem coming along, but we'll get back to that later.

After the magazine run is done, I will write some summaries what happens to the characters in later albums, and Anja, Heimo and Mikko will be there too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

That's one reason not to own a parrot.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom