Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Difficulty settings are actually good, cool and they are our friends. If you somehow feel bad for dumping a game down to easy because you don't want a hassle and just want a power fantasy then that's on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I say this as someone who isn't great at videogames, but are the Dark Souls games actually hard?

I mean, a new player will probably die a lot, but that very much seems to be the intended experience; you don't "run out of lives" or anything like that, and deaths don't really cost you progress. Plus there's an rpg-style upgrade system (that actually matters, compared to other action games' versions of the same) so you can grind your way through a lot of problems.

Sekiro is maybe different, because most of the upgrades are progress gated, but most of the "difficulty" is just the game having an unfamiliar central mechanic, no?

Anyway, unpopular videogame opinions:
- Elder Scrolls 4 was better than Elder Scrolls 5
- Sonic Adventure was good at the time
- Bloodborne is a RWBY fangame

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
They should make a video game in VR where the game is just a person in a room in front if a video game console, and you can pick up and play the games in the game system in the game. Maybe all thr virtual games all have adjustable settings and sliders, or whatever else you want. Basically a VR simulation of playing the games I want to play that should exist but don't instead of the real games that actually exist.

Does what I'm saying make sense?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think that's already a game that exists. Not VR though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor J Off posted:

They should make a video game in VR where the game is just a person in a room in front if a video game console, and you can pick up and play the games in the game system in the game. Maybe all thr virtual games all have adjustable settings and sliders, or whatever else you want. Basically a VR simulation of playing the games I want to play that should exist but don't instead of the real games that actually exist.

you are playing that game right now mate

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

itry posted:

I think that's already a game that exists. Not VR though.

No but the games keep changing based on your preferences as if someone is reading your mind and making the perfect game that you want to play. Then later on when you try to remove the goggles you find that they are a part of you and you can no longer tell where the simulation ends

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Doctor J Off posted:

This is almost exactly the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Classics compilation. It even has Vive/Oculus Rift/PSVR support.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Brutal Garcon posted:

I say this as someone who isn't great at videogames, but are the Dark Souls games actually hard?

I mean, a new player will probably die a lot, but that very much seems to be the intended experience; you don't "run out of lives" or anything like that, and deaths don't really cost you progress. Plus there's an rpg-style upgrade system (that actually matters, compared to other action games' versions of the same) so you can grind your way through a lot of problems.

Sekiro is maybe different, because most of the upgrades are progress gated, but most of the "difficulty" is just the game having an unfamiliar central mechanic, no?

Anyway, unpopular videogame opinions:
- Elder Scrolls 4 was better than Elder Scrolls 5
- Sonic Adventure was good at the time
- Bloodborne is a RWBY fangame

The souls games aren't that hard, no. Challenging enough that you have to engage with the systems and learn how to play well, but not soul-crushingly difficult. In the souls games you can summon friends to help/carry you through bosses, which is pretty much it's easy mode. In bloodborne you can run hacked chalice dungeons to effectively power level yourself.

Sekiro is different cuz it's got no co-op but in some regards it's actually easier than the souls games cuz your character is much more durable with the deflect/block/posture system

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think Sekiro is a whole lot harder than Souls games, the enemies do insane damage, they're very fast and have a lot of moves, and you have no real ability to get stronger when you're faced with a tough boss.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think the best theoretical version of sekiro has the enemies walking toward you with their arms at their sides and sarcastically dying when you look at them

They would yell "enjoy the story" every time

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Not much of a story to enjoy though

Doctor J Off posted:

No but the games keep changing based on your preferences as if someone is reading your mind and making the perfect game that you want to play. Then later on when you try to remove the goggles you find that they are a part of you and you can no longer tell where the simulation ends

I know this one... I think it's called Reality

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

itry posted:

Not much of a story to enjoy though

Uh did you think of the differently abled before you posted that

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hey, that's no way to talk about people who like Sekiro™: Shadows Die Twice

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's so weird that the thought of including easier difficulty modes (or sliding difficult options) that they don't even have to use if they don't want to makes some gamers so irrationally mad

How does making a game more accessible affect you in any way if it's something you don't even have to use, unless you're a gigantic elitist gatekeeping rear end in a top hat

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

site posted:

unless you're a gigantic elitist gatekeeping rear end in a top hat

It's this.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

How does making a game more accessible affect you in any way if it's something you don't even have to use, unless you're a gigantic elitist gatekeeping rear end in a top hat

I can't share a conversation with you about my earnest thoughts on a game if i know you just pushed a button and let it play itself

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm equally impressed that people can't accept that not everything needs to be beatable by everyone
Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I enjoy engaging in the shared experience of the well toned and balanced difficulty that comes with some video games. Spelunky shouldn't have an easy mode, for instance.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

site posted:

It's so weird that the thought of including easier difficulty modes (or sliding difficult options) that they don't even have to use if they don't want to makes some gamers so irrationally mad

Accessible and difficult are different things. Also nay U doth seemeth to be mad indeedy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

I enjoy engaging in the shared experience of the well toned and balanced difficulty that comes with some video games. Spelunky shouldn't have an easy mode, for instance.

Exactly, if someone told me they did an eggplant run id be super impressed because i know how difficult it is. If someone can just hit "BABY MODE" and do it without any effort it just becomes pointless

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's video games, it's all pointless. Video games are perhaps the single most pointless hobby in existence. Nothing you 'achieve' in a video game matters.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's video games, it's all pointless. Video games are perhaps the single most pointless hobby in existence. Nothing you 'achieve' in a video game matters.

You should take your pills sir you sound loving miserable

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vic posted:

Accessible and difficult are different things. Also nay U doth seemeth to be mad indeedy

Whether you are modifying something like parry timings to make them easier to pull off or directly changing something like controls to make it easier for disabled gamers to play, you're making it more accessible

Also one button gaming is bad faith strawman poo poo and isn't worth engaging with

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

nothing you achieve in general even matters, we just die and then we are forgotten and none of it mattered

might as well get some spelunky in while you can though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The same could be said of food, life, and anything ever

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

site posted:

The problem isn't that there are a bunch of babies wanting games to be harder to appeal specifically to them

Like half a dozen games exist as they are right now and a bunch of entitled pissbabies want them to change just for them

Not everything in the world is made For You

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can't share a conversation with you about my earnest thoughts on a game if i know you just pushed a button and let it play itself

I never want to share a conversation with you about anything, may I have an easy mode now?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yes I was definitely trying to get existential instead of just pointing out that nobody's impressed that you did an 'eggplant run', whatever the gently caress that is.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yes I was definitely trying to get existential instead of just pointing out that nobody's impressed that you did an 'eggplant run', whatever the gently caress that is.

posting in the video game thread about video games made for discussing video games about how you just don't care about video games

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I care about them and I enjoy them almost every day. But I was responding directly to

quote:

If someone can just hit "BABY MODE" and do it without any effort it just becomes pointless

because lol that is some broke brained poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Manager Hoyden posted:

The problem isn't that there are a bunch of babies wanting games to be harder to appeal specifically to them

Like half a dozen games exist as they are right now and a bunch of entitled pissbabies want them to change just for them

Not everything in the world is made For You

Except that that's not what the actual problem is. It's that there are people who would like to play a game but for various reasons are unable to engage with it properly in whatever manner and would like some help so they can enjoy the game fully (or be able to play it at all). What is wrong with that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

I've never done an eggplant run because its exceptionally challenging that's the point you utter melt

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Well you'll never get it done with that attitude.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Triarii posted:

I don't like difficulty settings in games or indeed any gameplay settings because I don't want to do some game designer's job for them

YOU figure out how much damage this enemy's gun is supposed to do, what the gently caress are you getting paid for, I'm not the professional here

You are touching upon the actual reason Sekiro shouldn't have an easy mode but it takes several paragraphs at a minimum to properly illustrate the point.

I don't want to do it either lol.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

For real though a Plasma Cutter only run in Dead Space is both a very achievable and fun way to play it on even the hard difficulty.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Plasma cutter only makes dead space easier because you're free to dump all your upgrades into it and ammo for the other, worse guns never drops

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Expecting all games to have an easy mode is like expecting cliff notes for dummies to come with novels. Like if it’s too hard to read, maybe the book isn’t for you. That’s fine, there are other books you can find in your reading level.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I bought a copy of Neuromancer and a Lovecraft compilation recently and both of them came with a pair of those cardboard red and blue 3D glasses, so with that in mind I consider not using them to read as the easy mode.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
If dark souls is too hard for you maybe youd like to play Putt Putt Saves the Zoo. You loser. You scrub. You UTTER MELT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

its_my_birthday posted:

Expecting all games to have an easy mode is like expecting cliff notes for dummies to come with novels. Like if it’s too hard to read, maybe the book isn’t for you. That’s fine, there are other books you can find in your reading level.

Audiobooks exist