Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/ posted:

8GB RAM on models with 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB storage
16GB RAM on models with 1TB or 2TB storage

RAM differs per storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is that the trade-in value you are being given from Apple?

Yeah the website is back up and lets you check your current device for trade-in

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Swappa is the best of the bunch but if the value is within $100 I just trade it in.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah the website is back up and lets you check your current device for trade-in

WOOT- ok yeah I get the same amount for the same model as yours. Between that and the stack of apple gift cards I have I'm gonna get the 512gb new iPad Pro. :c00l:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

$535 seems comically little for a 256 iPad Pro 3rd gen trade in but I might just bite it for the convenience of not having to deal with people and make the jump to the new one.

Out of curiosity I put in the serial for our first gen air and they'd give me $90 for it. That's only 2/3 what it lists for on the secondhand market but is way more than I would expect for something that's 7 years old.

(especially because I've traded in watches with Apple before and they give you a bag of peanuts for them)

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Hey I have an iPad Mini 2, and I´m looking into upgrading. Is the iPad mini (5th generation) a good bet or should I wait for the next model?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hey I have an iPad Mini 2, and I´m looking into upgrading. Is the iPad mini (5th generation) a good bet or should I wait for the next model?

wait, the current Mini’s like 2 years old

Honestly if you can stand the size increase maybe consider an Air right now

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

papasyhotcakes posted:

Yeah, sucks but don’t buy the mini, it’s too old. Wait, or get the Air.

Or find a good deal on all the apple people selling their iPad Pro 11s.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If a next model exists it will be quite the upgrade, if it exists. I’d maybe wait until September when the next Airs get announced, the air and the mini often get matching upgrades at the same time with the mini skipping a generation here and there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When can you actually pre order it? I’m gonna trade my iPhone 11 Pro in and sell my iPad on swappa

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Asked during the event thread but I’ll reask here:

If an M1 powers Mac minis, MacBooks, and iMacs, does that make an iPad just a Mac with an altered form factor and touch UI?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Asked during the event thread but I’ll reask here:

If an M1 powers Mac minis, MacBooks, and iMacs, does that make an iPad just a Mac with an altered form factor and touch UI?

Pretty much

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well OS X and iOS are still leagues apart despite a lot of work to bring them closer, but in terms of hardware that's basically it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Most of the iPad / phone apps I’ve used on my M1 work fantastic. Especially the awful app.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I will be upgrading from an iPad Mini 3 (with retina display, but no touch ID) to the 11" iPad Pro. I expect to be pretty blown away.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The current keyboard with track pad will work with this new 12.9 right? I can’t imagine they’d have killed it that quickly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sock The Great posted:

I will be upgrading from an iPad Mini 3 (with retina display, but no touch ID) to the 11" iPad Pro. I expect to be pretty blown away.

The Mini 3 had Touch ID, you must have a Mini 2, from 2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_Mini_3
:goonsay:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

When can you actually pre order it? I’m gonna trade my iPhone 11 Pro in and sell my iPad on swappa

April 30th

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

MarcusSA posted:

The current keyboard with track pad will work with this new 12.9 right? I can’t imagine they’d have killed it that quickly.

The accessories page is showing magic keyboard and most of the other ipad accessories as compatible with 3rd/4th/5th gen. It's looking a lot like the form factor is completely unchanged for the M1s.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegastar posted:

The accessories page is showing magic keyboard and most of the other ipad accessories as compatible with 3rd/4th/5th gen. It's looking a lot like the form factor is completely unchanged for the M1s.

Figured as much!

I got a great deal on that keyboard and I’m glad I get to keep using it because it’s really great.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My only kind of worry is that I just bought a SketchBoard Pro a while back and now the new iPad Pro will most likely not fit quite right in it. :sigh: Here's hoping it's not too bad.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My only kind of worry is that I just bought a SketchBoard Pro a while back and now the new iPad Pro will most likely not fit quite right in it. :sigh: Here's hoping it's not too bad.

Again it looks like it’s the same form factor, but only time will tell.

I also bought one of those and a) it owns and b) they committed to making additional liners for future devices for like, 30 bucks that you can swap out with a hex key in a couple of minutes.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 20, 2021

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

The Mini 3 had Touch ID, you must have a Mini 2, from 2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_Mini_3
:goonsay:

Right you are. I expect nothing less than a quantum leap in computing power.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Wait, what - the 11 inch also got the M1 chip? For some reason I thought they only put it in the 12.9. Sweet fancy Moses!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So, I mean at this point the iPad Pro is just a touchscreen Mac with a different OS and an optional keyboard, right? :P

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Bummer about no mini-LED on the 11" but I'm definitely getting that first day it's up on the store. 12.9" is just way too big for travel -- might as well take my laptop at that point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone else notice that the screen gradually dims a bit when playing a YouTube video? It goes back up to normal when you pause, and then dims back when resuming.

The only thing I’ve found googling is that the iPad can do this to prevent overheating, but I didn’t think YouTube would be that intensive. This is a 2020 12.9 Pro.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

So, I mean at this point the iPad Pro is just a touchscreen Mac with a different OS and an optional keyboard, right? :P
No, Macs are legacy devices without a touchscreen and a legacy OS.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If I need to get my iPad exchanged because of a faulty screen (separate from my earlier complaint) is there any chance I could get this year’s model? Maybe smaller size to compensate for the price difference. Or is that unlikely?

I’ve never dealt with apple cs before.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 21, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

If I need to get my iPad exchanged because of a faulty screen (separate from my earlier complaint) is there any chance I could get this year’s model? Maybe smaller size to compensate for the price difference. Or is that unlikely.

No way. Warranty’s are always for the same model, and apple has no incentive to give you a free upgrade.

Getting repaired will of course mean you can then turn around and trade it in , but yeah you’ll pay the price difference.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rinkles posted:

If I need to get my iPad exchanged because of a faulty screen (separate from my earlier complaint) is there any chance I could get this year’s model? Maybe smaller size to compensate for the price difference. Or is that unlikely.

quite unlikely unless you have like some super rare/in demand/pricey sku that they can’t easily get you a good refurb of in a timely fashion

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thought so, thanks.

Is the battery on the Pro not so great? My brother always told me he never has to think about the battery on his (he has the smallest non-mini), but on mine I wouldn’t mind having a power saver mode. Also it gets pretty warm even when just using the awful app.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they'll ever make a mini with an updated design.

The bigger ones are a bit much for me, I use mine for reading, language learning and its usually what I grab to look stuff up when I'm around the house. I bought my mum the new Air to replace her old Pro and as much as I like it it's still a bit too big for what I'd want it for.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

track day bro! posted:

I wonder if they'll ever make a mini with an updated design.

The bigger ones are a bit much for me, I use mine for reading, language learning and its usually what I grab to look stuff up when I'm around the house. I bought my mum the new Air to replace her old Pro and as much as I like it it's still a bit too big for what I'd want it for.

You might be surprised. My wife has been using the minis for years. She wanted to try the new Air so I gifted her one. The mini hasn't been touched since.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I've been thinking of getting myself the iPad Air 4th gen but, well, now the 11 inch Pro 3rd gen looks pretty interesting.

For $150 $200 (33%) more on the base models you get 64GB more storage space, better cameras (optical zoom), better processor (2 more performance cores and double the RAM), thunderbolt/USB, more speakers. The display's appear effectively similar, I doubt the extra nits makes that much a of a difference. Also, faceID over touch ID, not that I have a preference here. And the 'LIDAR' which may or may not have some usefulness in future apps. The size and weight are, for all intents and purposes, identical.

The tick tock for refresh cycle means we probably shouldn't expect an iPad or iPad Air update until next year, right?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 21, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I feel if they gave the pro cool color options I'd be more into upgrading, Theres always next year

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Are did some deep dive for the extra features missed in the event.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/04/here-are-the-updates-that-didnt-make-it-in-apples-livestream-yesterday/

There’s a new approach to RAM in the iPad Pro

Historically, Apple has been nothing short of cagey about how much RAM its mobile devices have. The company has usually preferred to keep its marketing message focused on something other than hardware specs, and Apple enthusiasts have long maintained that X gigabytes of RAM on an iPhone are not really comparable to the same amount on, say, an Android device, given various differences.

FURTHER READING
iPad Pro gets M1 chip, “Liquid Retina” mini-LED screen
But Apple took a different course with the M1 iPad Pro, listing both 8GB and 16GB configurations. Oddly, these are not explicitly selected at purchase. Rather, they're tied to storage configurations, which have been the main configuration points for iPads in the past.
The 256GB and 512GB models of both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro have 8GB of RAM, while the 1TB and 2TB configurations have twice that much: 16GB. Apple doesn't present this information at point of sale, but it is listed on the iPad Pro's spec sheet just a click away. Apple has done this before, but it didn't previously expose this in its specs pages.

Now, I can’t see an iPad needing more than 8GB of RAM, but that’s a really interesting tidbit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you need that much storage on an iPad then it’s probably because you’re doing some sort of serious A/V stuff, which in that case those apps can be very RAM hungry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope you're serious about doing on work on an iPad at that point because you're coughing up $1800 for the privilege of having that 16GB of ram. That's well into laptop/desktop price range.

It would be pretty awesome for the pro to fully function as a laptop, but it's not quite there yet. It's definitely packing the hardware for it, so hopefully they keep cranking away at the OS to further blur the lines between OSX and iOS.

(Tim, please fix the external monitor support)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

It would be pretty awesome for the pro to fully function as a laptop, but it's not quite there yet. It's definitely packing the hardware for it, so hopefully they keep cranking away at the OS to further blur the lines between OSX and iOS.

It's almost there. Now you have tablets and computers with the same guts. MacOS apps that are just tweaked iOS apps. I would imagine apps that are M1 native just need to be changed a little to be iOS apps. It's almost to the point now where the MacOS and iOS experiences and features are the same. The difference now is just if the device you're using suits your needs.