Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
In that case I would do it like any other linear obstacle like walls or fences. Start with a base (sheet styrene, MDF, heck even wooden tongue depressors) and use polystyrene foam to build up a "bump" maybe 3/4" high. Cover the lower parts of it with sand, paint that part dark brown and drybrush one or two lighter brown colors. Paint the top half green, then cover the whole thing with a mix of flock and static grass. Finally, liberally attach lichen or foam "bushes" to the top of it in an irregular pattern.

Boom, bocage.

Essentially, bocage is really just a thick turf berm with grass and bushes and poo poo growing on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Mel's got a video covering like 9 different ways. Hopefully one will work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQxHnoLpPUc

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I got a game of Field of Glory Napoleonic today. Was supposed to be a 8 person tounrment but no one else showed up so I played the organizer.

The red lights indicates a routing brigade.

Battle report later, if I have any motivation to write it up.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up three 28mm buildings for Bolt Action and other historicals that they'll work for

A two story house that stacks (inside not painted yet)

A small one story house with a blue front door (roof also comes off this one)

And a very large centerpiece church

Luckily this behemoth breaks up into smaller sections

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Did you sculpt those yourself? :o

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
That church is great! Nice job.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tias posted:

Did you sculpt those yourself? :o

Looks like there's PLA 3d printing lines in it, which I'm hoping for because I'd love to have those STLs!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
1809-11 Anglo-Portuguese vs 1814 Spring Prussian army
In an alternative history, the FRENCH EMPEROR, NAPOLEON has decided NOT to attack RUSSIA, but instead send THE GRAND ARMEE to SPAIN, to end the threat from BRITAIN, and their alliance with the Kingdom of PORTUGAL.

To assist his invasion, Napoleon has ordered the KINGDOM OF PRUSSIA to supply a full corps of their army. They have traveled the many miles to arrive to the north of Portugal.

The DUKE OF WELLINGTON, knows that an enemy force is approaching from the north, but does not yet know their composition or size. He has sent a small, elite force of the ANGLO-PORTUGUESE army to probe the enemy force, and advise on the size of the threat bearing down on him....

I had signed for a FOGN 500 point tournament at Conquest 2021, but everyone else had worse things to do than spend time playing with model solders. So I got a normal 800 game vs Djando the Organizer that he very nicely offered to give me a game instead.

As I had expected to play a smaller game with a smaller army, I had not had time to finish basing everything, so I had to go for a very small army. The observant will note it's VERY small - an army value of only 20. Djano was playing the largest possible conscript army possible.

Could an army of elite British Infantry be able to attack an army of lower elan and training when outnumbered 3:2 in Infantry, Calvary and Artillery?

Read the full battle report on MY BLOG to see the full story!
How it started:

How it ended:

I would post the full report here, but I can't work out how to convert blogger code to BBcode with working picture links :(

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 6, 2021

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Looks like there's PLA 3d printing lines in it, which I'm hoping for because I'd love to have those STLs!

They are indeed 3D printed. I ordered mine from the Etsy Shop AlRealityTerrain but I believe the STL for the printed church came from Printable Scenery.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Finished my Saga test model, and now await the rules while I prep a batch of Vikings.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That looks sweet. To save you headaches on the shields, if you draw the lines on in pencil and stay inside them you can just use an eraser to clear it up afterwards and your brain will magically get better at painting straight lines.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Playing a 1200 point game this Sunday with my Germans against my friends Finns.

Here’s what I’m bringing to the table:

List is:
Platoon 1
Veteran LT + 1 Lad
Regular Heer Infantry Squad x 2 (8 men w/LMG)
Veteran Medic
Regular Medium Mortar w/Spotter
Veteran Flamethrower Team
Regular 37mm PaK 36
SdKfz 222 Light Armored Car
Panzer 38(t)

Platoon 2
Veteran LT + 1 Lad
Regular Heer Infantry Squad x 2 (8 men w/LMG)
Veteran Flamethrower Team
Regular Light Artillery
Motorcycle with Machine-gun sidecar

Still need to paint a couple things before Sunday and there are a handful of stand-ins.

Edit: Painted the flamethrower!

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 8, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Definitely lost my mind. I have no idea how to make 2mm look good, but I have to admit I love the effect.

And I printed out a sled for it that I can put a label on to remember whose regiment it is!

Stand battalion of pike and shot, Royalists, ECW:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Played a 1200 point practice game of Bolt Action yesterday. Operation Barbarossa theatre selector, Finns v. Germans. These two armies will team up next month against Class Warcraft & another friends Soviet armies.

The table

Initial layout:

Decided the left side of the table needed a little more terrain, so I added two small ponds that acted as difficult terrain.

Objectives

Mission ended up being Key Positions with 5 of them. We placed 1 in each of the buildings in the center of town and 1 at each end of the road.

The game was pretty fun overall. I don't have a play by play, but basically what happened was the Germans moved in to secure the two buildings on their side of the table while the Finns moved in to occupy the church. My Germans went infantry heavy on the left flank while the right had the AT gun deploy in ambush, an officer, a heer infantry squad & the motorcycle with machine gun side car. The Finns kept a BA-10 & a unit of Kaukopartio in reserve. The BA-10 was knocked out as soon as it came on the board by the PaK 36, and the Kaukopartio squared off against the Heer infantry squad & the officer on the right flank for most of the game. They had 1 pin on them, rolled a FUBAR and panicked to the edge of the board, but were able to rally at the end of the game to contest the Eastern road objective.

Below are some action shots!

Heer infantry squad goes down as a result of hearing artillery going off in the distance, but the shot goes wide.

PaK 36 knocks out a BA-10 as it enters the town.

A Panzer 38(t) and a Heer infantry squad square off against a Sisi Recon squad for control of the Western road objective.

The Panzer was knocked out shortly after this by the Finnish Medium Artillery.

Fighting on the Eastern side of town remained fierce for the entire battle.

A veteran flamethrower team tries moving into position to dislodge a Sisi Recon Squad out of the church. The flamethrower team manages to kill one member of the squad, but is wiped out the following turn when the unit charges them.

The game ended in a 2-1 victory for the Germans, who managed to hold onto the Western road objective and one of the central houses. The Finns managed to keep the Church, while the Eastern road and one of the buildings were contested.

Favorite moment of the game: Losing a light artillery piece to a sniper squad on the 2nd turn of the game. Totally get why tournament players hate snipers now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Really nice table. Looks like a joy to play on.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up a unit of 8 Heer Pionier for my German Bolt Action Army.

Based these guys off of a picture I found online of the 34th Engineer Battalion who fought on the Eastern Front.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
This is an insane question that was inspired by Warlord's Epic ACW set they're doing:

For the current Black Powder ruleset, how "compatible" are the eras/armies?

ie Can I pit the Union army against some 1815 French dudes

I realize this may of questionable historical accuracy (at best)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Black Powder is a fairly generic rule set, so I can’t see why not

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BaronVanAwesome posted:

This is an insane question that was inspired by Warlord's Epic ACW set they're doing:

If you mix those forces a grognard will come to your house and smash your models, iirc.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

BaronVanAwesome posted:

There were certainly weirder matchups in the 19th century. A British army equipped with artillery and breech-loading rifles was annihilated by the Zulus equipped mostly with bronze age tech.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Did anyone play Empire Earth? The concept of bronze age Spearman fighting battlemechs is basically the greatest matchup since Rhino vs. Baby.

I have ordered a set for Epic ACW but I hope they make a Napoleonic series

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Class Warcraft posted:

There were certainly weirder matchups in the 19th century. A British army equipped with artillery and breech-loading rifles was annihilated by the Zulus equipped mostly with bronze age tech.

Turns out Bronze Age humans did NOT gently caress about when it came to whipping rear end.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Well the Unionists would have much more efficient rifles and artillery, but on the other hand they would have the disadvantage when it comes to cavalry. I think that with the right scenario, or just by tampering with the points values, you could create some interesting battles.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Class Warcraft posted:

Every time I read about Isandlwana I am struck by exactly how many terrible decisions Chelmsford made. Peak Victorian arrogance on display.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The Zulus were a better army in any meaningful way than the British except for firepower. Faster both strategically and tactically, more sustainable logistics, you name it.

I really should work on my wargame Zulus.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I mean there will already be rules for muskets and smoothbore artillery presumably

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

They're just a bunch of blokes with pointy sticks! How could they possibly stand a chance against Her Majesty's most capable and well-equipped fighting me-

oh no

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Tried branching out into the local Bolt Action community. It's a bunch of old men who are very vocal about their politics, which aren't mine.

Might just play with friends.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Funnily enough, I just checked and BA has a VASSAL module.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Tried branching out into the local Bolt Action community. It's a bunch of old men who are very vocal about their politics, which aren't mine.

This sucks. You should put the word out at your local FLGS that you're looking to form a Bolt Action Gaming League. I bet there will probably be some other locals who dislike those guys and want to play. If you can wrangle some friends in to play with you it might help to grow it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Beerdeer posted:

This is the answer.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Funnily enough, I just checked and BA has a VASSAL module.

I wonder if it looks better or worse than trying to do it on TTS.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

I wonder if it looks better or worse than trying to do it on TTS.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So about equal, huh? :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

So about equal, huh? :v:

:shrug:

Never played BA myself, or seen it elsewhere than photos from real games.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

TTS has the advantage of when its time to remove a model you can pick it up and huck it off into oblivion

Endman
May 18, 2010

Bolt Action looks so much like Warhammer 40k to me; it's weird.

And despite the avatar some gronk bought for me years ago, that's a downside. :v:

Although I've been painting tanks for Parking Lot Simulator 1942, so I can't talk.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Class Warcraft posted:

TTS has the advantage of when its time to remove a model you can pick it up and huck it off into oblivion

You can also slowly increase the size of your vehicles to make your opponent go insane.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
And when they do snap they can flip the digital table!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
TTS also has that magic dice box roller and sorter thing that really helps when youre attacking with 30 orks and some bucket of dice