Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

happyhippy posted:

Was it with Floyd's death that the police themselves turned up and clapped for the cop the day after?
Or was it another death they did this.

George Floyd's death was the one the cops had t-shirts made saying "I CAN breathe" to commemorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

TulliusCicero posted:

What did this girl even do to require being put down like a rampaging bear?

Hold up a milkshake menacingly? You would think the loving pigs could at least wait while all eyes are on them to start indiscriminately murdering people again.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Can anyone tell me why an active shooter can be brought into custody alive, but a 15 year old girl with a knife can't?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

It's really interesting to watch them all show their rear end like this, when it would be the easiest thing in the world to just walk away from it and distance themselves from Chauvin.

Instead they have to double down and talk about one white cop receiving justice is an attack on civilization, and they specifically wanted Trump in because he gave the go ahead for the police to commit murder of people they don't like.

It's fascinating and gross watching these wierdo fucks radicalize in real time. It can't just be a grift anymore right?

It reminds of how the first like six months after Trump was inaugurated Fox News/etc. bullshit people like this were still mostly doing shows about how horrible Clinton is like they had pre-programmed their entire year based on Clinton winning and had no idea where else to go from there for a while once she lost.

I feel like this is the same thing where all of them thought for sure Chauvin was going to walk and they'd be able to issue a simple "see the system works he was on trial and found innocent" and then spend the next month chastising rioters. Instead they have to dump the "these people are destroying civilization" bullshit onto anyone they can.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Couple of Chauvin notes before we return to your regularly scheduled ":actually:, this is why the police were justified in their brutal murder of a black teen", a conversation that positively must take place in this, an unrelated thread.

https://twitter.com/MaryMoriarty/status/1384835081123123200
(Mary Moriarty has been providing useful insight all trial, former Chief Public Defender in Minneapolis before being ousted for insufficient :decorum: when discussing our hosed up justice system). Relevant for the conversation regarding the conditions of Chauvin's incarceration and that he is already being treated atypically.

As it comes to sentencing, the state is seeking an enhancement based on the following 5 factors (from papers filed last year):

quote:

1. George Floyd, the victim, was particularly vulnerable because officers had already handcuffed him behind his back and then placed him chest down on the pavement, and Mr. Floyd clearly and repeatedly told the officers he could not breathe. Minn. Sent. Guidelines 2.D.3.b(1); State v. Givens, 544 N.W.2d 774, 776 (Minn. 1996).

2. Mr. Floyd was treated with particular cruelty. Despite Mr. Floyd’s pleas that he could not breathe and was going to die, as well as the pleas of eyewitnesses for Defendant to get off Mr. Floyd and help him, Defendant and his codefendants continued to restrain Mr. Floyd. Defendant kept his knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck to hold him prone on the ground for approximately nine minutes, during at least four minutes of which Mr. Floyd was motionless. This maneuver inflicted gratuitous pain on Mr. Floyd. Those eyewitnesses, of whose presence Defendant was aware, had to watch Mr. Floyd die. Defendant also did not provide Mr. Floyd with any medical assistance and discouraged the efforts of others to provide such assistance. Minn. Sent. Guidelines 2.D.3.b(2); State v. Hicks, 864 N.W.2d 153, 159-60 (Minn. 2015); Tucker v. State, 799 N.W.2d 583, 587-99 (Minn. 2011); State v. Smith, 541 N.W.2d 584, 590 (Minn. 1996); State v. Harwell, 515 N.W.2d 105, 109 (Minn. Ct. App. 1994).

3. Defendant abused a position of authority, as he was a licensed police officer in full uniform who, in conjunction with other officers, took full custody of Mr. Floyd. State v. Lee, 494 N.W.2d 475, 482 (Minn. 1992).

4. Defendant committed the crime as part of a group of three or more offenders who all actively participated in the crime. Minn. Sent. Guidelines 2.D.3.b.(10).

5. Defendant committed the crime in the presence of multiple children, and Defendant’s criminal conduct was witnessed by children. Minn. Sent. Guidelines 2.D.3.b(13); State v. Profit, 323 N.W.2d 34, 36 (Minn. 1982).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Police don’t give a poo poo about saving lives and have stood by watching someone die plenty of times. There is a Supreme Court decision that establishes that the police have no obligation to prevent a crime from taking place.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Along the lines of what Paracaidas posted for Blakeley factors, there is a fantastic writeup by a MN criminal defense attorney that explains the sentencing process for this case here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Minneapolis/comments/mv1sli/chauvin_sentencing_and_beyond_answering_your/. Sorry for the reddit link, but it's extremely informative for anyone who's interested and unfamiliar with sentencing and MN specifics (especially regarding Blakeley).

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

also norwegian police have been quite trigger-happy themselves lately. unarmed-as-a-rule has been fully hollowed out for reasons that seem to me to be obscure

Because for quite a while the minister of Justice was from the FrP, and they have massive, pulsing, throbbing hard-ons for indulging the worst elements of our police-force that can't wait to be armed 24/7 so they can finally respond appropriately to those people stepping out of line.

You know.

Just like the US police.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/MaryMoriarty/status/1384835081123123200
(Mary Moriarty has been providing useful insight all trial, former Chief Public Defender in Minneapolis before being ousted for insufficient :decorum: when discussing our hosed up justice system). Relevant for the conversation regarding the conditions of Chauvin's incarceration and that he is already being treated atypically.

As it comes to sentencing, the state is seeking an enhancement based on the following 5 factors (from papers filed last year):

Special inmate placements really aren't that rare. Although going from a jail to a prison is something I've never heard of. I have only ever seen jail to jail transfers.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Neo Rasa posted:

George Floyd's death was the one the cops had t-shirts made saying "I CAN breathe" to commemorate.

erik garner was when those shirts started getting made. floyd was when they brought them back out of the closet

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

erik garner was when those shirts started getting made. floyd was when they brought them back out of the closet

I feel like a dumbass for being incorrect about this but at the same time I'm not surprised they'd reuse them.

Okay wait now I feel like slightly less of a dumbass:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...3ula-story.html

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I have seen this and I am still amazed at how many people just can’t wait for the police to escalate to lethal force.

It’s the classic hammer and nail analogy where shooting a person makes sense because they have guns. Is the suggestion that this situation is completely unresolvable without shooting someone to death?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot who suggests that cops shoot people in the legs, why can’t several grown men control a girl with a knife? Is it absurd to suggest that they strike her arms with batons or just full-on tackle her? Obviously a knife is dangerous but I need more convincing that swinging one around constitutes threat of imminent death to the officers as well as the other girl. Would an officer without a gun just stand by?

A part of it is also the absolutely garbage risk assessment done by the police despite their training convincing them they have a perfectly analytical mind. They’re willing to get into a high-speed car chase without a second thought despite it being the likely cause of their death but an unstable black girl with a weapon is like the angel of death in their eyes.

Ror fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 21, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ror posted:

I have seen this and I am still amazed at how many people just can’t wait for the police to escalate to lethal force.

It’s the classic hammer and nail analogy where shooting a person makes sense because they have guns. Is the suggestion that this situation is completely unresolvable without shooting someone to death?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot who suggests that cops shoot people in the legs, why can’t several grown men control a girl with a knife? Is it absurd to suggest that they strike her arms with batons or just full-on tackle her? Obviously a knife is dangerous but I need more convincing that swinging one around constitutes threat of imminent death to the officers as well as the other girl. Would an officer without a gun just stand by?

A part of it is also the absolutely garbage risk assessment done by the police because they’re just as fallible as the rest of us. They’re willing to get into a high-speed car chase without a second thought despite it being the likely cause of their death but an unstable black girl with a weapon is like the angel of death in their eyes.

The Killology poo poo pushed by that lunatic Grossman teaches police ANYONE can be the serial killer trying to murder you, and you have to kill them first (and then you will have Great Sex afterwards according to the aptly named Grossman :barf:)

Grossman is a loving monster who has done unfathomable harm to this country's law enforcement training. He needs to be shut down today.

There was no reason for this girl to die. Taser, baton, tackling, idk, "DROP THE loving KNIFE!" could have been yelled? He tries absolutely nothing.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

LLCoolJD posted:

Special inmate placements really aren't that rare. Although going from a jail to a prison is something I've never heard of. I have only ever seen jail to jail transfers.
Appreciate the confirmation of atypical treatment from your experience!

Since the right wing outrage machine continues to spool up around Maxine (absolute shocker), it's worth remembering a few things so we avoid stumbling into bothsides dumbassery by mistake-
  • Nelson has been threatening appeal since the beginning of March due to pretrial decisions. This is helpful shorthand for "the verdicts would have been appealed even if Maxine never made a single public statement".
  • Nelson has been threatening appeal due to publicity and outside actors since well before Maxine made a public statement. Anyone is welcome to make the case that Maxine's statements will be given more weight by the appeals courts than the city's pre-trial settlement announcement, or that it will be viewed on appeal as the straw the broke the camel's back.... but generally that's not what's being argued when the usual suspects are coming after Maxine. Possibly because it's a ridiculous argument that draws attention away from the main point of Maxine Bad
  • Even if one wishes to construe Maxine's comments as a call to violence and lawlessness (which is not supported by her actual words), there is no question that it was legal and protected speech. "Burn this city to the loving ground and slaughter every pig who stands in your way if they come back without a guilty verdict" would still fail to demonstrate (among other things) a call to imminent violence. Denizens of the politoons thread will have seen the comparisons to the January 6th speech, but it's important to remember that there is nothing in Maxine's words remotely comparable to "And after this, we're going to walk down, and I'll be there with you, we're going to walk down, we're going to walk down." and the repeated calls to make their way towards Congress. In my eyes, even Trump's comments are on the fringe of imminence but at least one is able to make a case about it. There's simply no argument on Maxine's comments
  • "Maxine is a loving dumbass" over timing you disagree with in the midst of a much higher profile cloud of right wing hysteria and legal illiteracy surrounding her is just fantastic way to ensure everyone knows where your priorities are.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

TulliusCicero posted:

Can anyone tell me why an active shooter can be brought into custody alive, but a 15 year old girl with a knife can't?

If the active shooter surrenders immediately on seeing the cops then they'll take him alive, if he/she ignores them completely and carries on trying to murder people in front of them then it's not such a likely thing.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

"Burn this city to the loving ground and slaughter every pig who stands in your way if they come back without a guilty verdict" would still fail to demonstrate (among other things) a call to imminent violence.
[/list]

I don't understand how that would not be a (morally justified) call to imminent violence.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

TulliusCicero posted:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I'm guessing you guys would be cool if the other girl got stabbed a few times? I'm not sure y'all are grasping the situation on this one.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Ror posted:

A part of it is also the absolutely garbage risk assessment done by the police despite their training convincing them they have a perfectly analytical mind. They’re willing to get into a high-speed car chase without a second thought despite it being the likely cause of their death but an unstable black girl with a weapon is like the angel of death in their eyes.

The knife is right next to the intended victims throat it only has to move a few inches. You'd need to cover the gap between you preferably silently get control of the weapon and in America obviously you'd need to put your weapon away securely first or fight one handed with your off hand once you got there. If you go for a full on tackle you'll be pushing her in the direction of the victim blade first with all your bodyweight.

If you tried it and the victim died or got hurt you'd be in the deep end of the poop pool.

Kale
May 14, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

I doubt that IQ brag is real if this is his opinion on what being a police officer is

Yeah, the problem is this cop wasn't doing his job, he was violating the rules. To people like that shitstain the cops are there to murder anyone that doesn't mesh with their view of society

I think they were too busy tear gassing people outside the day after. That's what kicked off the violence in the first protest

I just assume anybody that fits their supposed full title into a twitter handle (unless it's an official office account) to be a hardcore right wing chud and/or shitlord troll like Sebastien Gorka DrG in need of some extra tool of persuasion. Any sane and/or normal person probably doesn't feel the need to have that to get more people to agree with them cause their words, phrasing and positions on something can speak for themselves and make some sense to most people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/21/tucker-carlson-chauvin-floyd-guilty-jury/

Or.....they just heard the strong evidence from the prosecutions case, saw the videos, heard the witness testimony and decided it met the grounds for a guilty as charged verdict under Minnesota law. He also acts like the defense obviously wouldn't have used their strikes against people they felt might have been too influenced by all the commentary and high profile nature of the case before it went to trial, just as the prosecution wouldn't have obviously tried to use their strikes against people that might be chuds, hold outlandishly pro-police beliefs or possibly even just be racists.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 21, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ror posted:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot who suggests that cops shoot people in the legs,

I honestly think it's weird that Norwegian cops are able to stop armer assailants by shooting them In the legs while American cops are forced to always shoot to kill.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Police don’t give a poo poo about saving lives and have stood by watching someone die plenty of times. There is a Supreme Court decision that establishes that the police have no obligation to prevent a crime from taking place.

I still remember that video from a few weeks back of police responding to a domestic call and one of them hearing some sort of bang come from inside which could have been just about anything and just immediately opening fire and then continuing to do so as someone screamed to stop shooting and that they'd been shot. Then he literally runs away as his partner is yelling at him to get the gently caress back there and turns off his body cam. That one really stuck with me as to how piss poor the policing can get in America. Like it just blows my mind both that he got all trigger happy over hearing loud noises, completely broke anything resembling what is supposed to be procedure and that he then ran away from his position both abandoning his partner and the person in distress he'd just shot. Like what is that?

I seem to recall hearing the guy had been fired for gross incompetence, but maybe that's wishful recollection.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

FoolyCharged posted:

That said, I know nothing of the incident beyond the still, so unless they rolled up to that scene there is still a huge problem here because the cops job is to stop things from getting to the point where someone needs shot

Watching the video, they basically did roll up to that scene. There’s less than a minute between the cop getting out of his car and the girl trying to stab someone.

There’s still room to criticize the cop (should have used taser, too many shots) and ACAB but this really isn’t a clear-cut situation.

Edit: I went back and watched again. There's literally 10 seconds between the cop getting out of his car and the girl trying to stab someone, and most of it involved the girl with the knife assaulting people in front of the cop. That's really not a lot of time for de-escalation.

ryde fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 21, 2021

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't understand how that would not be a (morally justified) call to imminent violence.

Paracaidas posted:

"Burn this city to the loving ground and slaughter every pig who stands in your way if they come back without a guilty verdict" would still fail to demonstrate (among other things) a call to imminent violence.
Imminent is key here. Maxine's actual statements (not the absurd exaggeration from my post) were made on Saturday night, did not contain a call to violence, and most importantly did not call for imminent action. Her statement, as with my exaggerated one (for the sake of demonstrating that the word choice is irrelevant here), referenced a conditional reaction to an event that would happen at an ambiguous future date.

If she had made her statement (or my statement) in between the announcement that the verdict was in and the announcement of the verdict itself, there'd be a stronger argument that she's calling for imminent action. But no argument that she was giving grounds for an appeal. It's why the detractors can't have their cake and eat it too with her statements. If they claim it influenced the unsequestered jury, then it couldn't possibly be imminent. If they claim it was a call to imminent violence, it couldn't have possibly have influenced the sequestered (or completed) jury.

As is typically the case with such contradictions, there are no attempts made to resolve it so that both are simultaneously true until an inconvenient question is asked.

Morningwoodpecker posted:

If you tried it and the victim died or got hurt you'd be in the deep end of the poop pool.
That the officer believed that his most professionally responsible course of action was to immediately gun down a child is probably the most damning indictment I can imagine, short of defending him by declaring all other courses of action improbable and unrealistic. Could you tell me how this defense of a childkiller relates to the Chauvin trial? Or has this become the catchall youth murder squad apologia thread now that the verdict is in?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I would like to say two things:

1. if you have no loving idea what you're talking about, please be mindful of that and receptive to the posting of people who do seem to know what they're talking about. "I don't know anything about this case, but..." is not, generally speaking, a useful contribution to this thread.

2. Starting off your argument with "is being stabbed by a knife really all that dangerous????" is a prime fuckin way to signal you have no idea what you're talking about.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Paracaidas posted:

Appreciate the confirmation of atypical treatment from your experience!

Since the right wing outrage machine continues to spool up around Maxine (absolute shocker), it's worth remembering a few things so we avoid stumbling into bothsides dumbassery by mistake-
  • Nelson has been threatening appeal since the beginning of March due to pretrial decisions. This is helpful shorthand for "the verdicts would have been appealed even if Maxine never made a single public statement".
  • Nelson has been threatening appeal due to publicity and outside actors since well before Maxine made a public statement. Anyone is welcome to make the case that Maxine's statements will be given more weight by the appeals courts than the city's pre-trial settlement announcement, or that it will be viewed on appeal as the straw the broke the camel's back.... but generally that's not what's being argued when the usual suspects are coming after Maxine. Possibly because it's a ridiculous argument that draws attention away from the main point of Maxine Bad
  • Even if one wishes to construe Maxine's comments as a call to violence and lawlessness (which is not supported by her actual words), there is no question that it was legal and protected speech. "Burn this city to the loving ground and slaughter every pig who stands in your way if they come back without a guilty verdict" would still fail to demonstrate (among other things) a call to imminent violence. Denizens of the politoons thread will have seen the comparisons to the January 6th speech, but it's important to remember that there is nothing in Maxine's words remotely comparable to "And after this, we're going to walk down, and I'll be there with you, we're going to walk down, we're going to walk down." and the repeated calls to make their way towards Congress. In my eyes, even Trump's comments are on the fringe of imminence but at least one is able to make a case about it. There's simply no argument on Maxine's comments
  • "Maxine is a loving dumbass" over timing you disagree with in the midst of a much higher profile cloud of right wing hysteria and legal illiteracy surrounding her is just fantastic way to ensure everyone knows where your priorities are.

Knowing nothing else about the guy beyond being Chavin's attorney it is his legal duty and obligation to provide the best defense possible. Of course he's appealing. He has to and he can get more money from Chauvin.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Knowing nothing else about the guy beyond being Chavin's attorney it is his legal duty and obligation to provide the best defense possible. Of course he's appealing. He has to and he can get more money from Chauvin.
Oh, to be clear, I have absolutely zero objection to Nelson and Chauvin appealing. As you note, it's his legal duty and obligation. That the appeal will continue to drain money from the union (which is covering all costs) and may drain resource and attention away from the coming trials of Thao, Kueng, and Lane is also absolutely a good thing.

There is an idea floating (particularly in RWM circles but also in more sane spaces, including SA) that Maxine's comments mean an appeal is coming (flatly wrong given both Nelson's past statements and his responsibilities) or that her comments meaningfully impact his chances on appeal (an argument rarely made in detail and one that I'm extraordinarily skeptical of). The list is related to that.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Honestly the people who are at most fault here are her parents. They were standing right behind Makiah, outside their home, watching her argue with people while holding a knife. They completely and utterly failed that child. The fact that the situation even got to that point speaks volumes to how utterly incompetent they are as parents. The cop had mere seconds from the moment he arrived to when Makiah started charging at people with a knife. American police have never been known for their de-escalation tactics so I'm not sure how much different things would have turned out if he'd gotten there earlier, but this isn't really a case of the police overreacting.

To the poster who said "How lethal could a knife really be"? A couple of weeks back there was a video of a group of 12 year olds who got into a scuffle at Walmart. One of the girls had brought a knife with her. She stabbed the girl she was fighting a single time and that's all it took for her to bleed to death before the ambulance could get there. That police officer could have very well saved the woman in pink's life. She was a second or two away from getting stabbed.

I'm sad Makiah didn't have better people in her life who could have prevented the situation from getting to the point that it did.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Ror posted:

You've seen that image.

Have you ever tried to fight someone? Have you ever tried to fight someone with a knife?

The amount of people who want to criticise the police but then lose all credibility when they then try and suggest how to engage with people in physical confrontations but have zero clue on any form of physical confrontation theory or even practical experience is incredibly frustrating when you have clear cases where the police use massively unnecessary force vs when it is completely justified. Morons then mix up the two and suddenly criticism of police use of force becomes so muddy with idiots thinking that shooting someone in the leg is a good idea or telling them forcefully to stop stabbing the other person that they then get used as examples by the people who lick officers boots and claim nothing they can do is ever wrong and only idiots criticise the police with utterly bizarre ideas.

TulliusCicero posted:

Because the active shooter surrenders and stops being an active shooter, the 15 year old girl is mid kill. Why do you need this explaining to you, it is really very obvious.

Paracaidas posted:

That the officer believed that his most professionally responsible course of action was to immediately gun down a child is probably the most damning indictment I can imagine, short of defending him by declaring all other courses of action improbable and unrealistic.

You do it, lets do an experiment. I'll grab a sharpie pen (instead of an actual knife) and an innocent by stander. You have to use the taser and non lethal force to stop me killing both the person I am in the process of "killing" and stop me from killing you. (covering you in sharpie pen)

You going to intercept me with a baton? I'll kill you.

You going to talk me down? I'll kill you.

Give you a taser? With how unreliable they are? Innocent by stander is probably dead, you might survive if the prongs hit correctly, but even then, you willing to risk that chance?

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 21, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A knife isn't a sharpie and the lust for murder that is on display here is kind of messed up.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Vorik posted:

Honestly the people who are at most fault here are her parents. They were standing right behind Makiah, outside their home, watching her argue with people while holding a knife. They completely and utterly failed that child. The fact that the situation even got to that point speaks volumes to how utterly incompetent they are as parents. The cop had mere seconds from the moment he arrived to when Makiah started charging at people with a knife. American police have never been known for their de-escalation tactics so I'm not sure how much different things would have turned out if he'd gotten there earlier, but this isn't really a case of the police overreacting.

To the poster who said "How lethal could a knife really be"? A couple of weeks back there was a video of a group of 12 year olds who got into a scuffle at Walmart. One of the girls had brought a knife with her. She stabbed the girl she was fighting a single time and that's all it took for her to bleed to death before the ambulance could get there. That police officer could have very well saved the woman in pink's life. She was a second or two away from getting stabbed.

I'm sad Makiah didn't have better people in her life who could have prevented the situation from getting to the point that it did.

FYI, I think an important thing to be aware of before criticizing parenting is that this is a foster home. It's unclear how long she had been in this foster home for, how long these people have known her, etc: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/04/21/columbus-police-shot-killed-teen-girl-what-we-know/7316707002/

quote:

Police haven't released the name of the person shot, but Franklin County Children's Services said the girl killed was 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant and that she was in foster care and in the custody of Children's Services.

Hazel Bryant said her niece lived in a foster home there on Legion Lane and got into an altercation with someone else at the home.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Also plenty of active shooters end up killed by police, so using active shooters as an example of de-escalation is glossing over a lot. There's a lot of situational information that can make de-escalation impossible. In the video of the UK police handling a guy with a machete: there were only police around and they had the guy surrounded and somewhat under controlled. The machete guy was not literally mid-swing trying to kill someone.

This is not intended to be an excuse for American police who are, by far, way more brutal than necessary and escalate to lethal force too easily. Especially against black people. Just saying that this instance doesn't appear to be a good example of that.

Josef bugman posted:

A knife isn't a sharpie and the lust for murder that is on display here is kind of messed up.

Actually evaluating the situation isn't lusting for murder. No-one is happy that the cop shot the girl. Its a tragedy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

The Killology poo poo pushed by that lunatic Grossman teaches police ANYONE can be the serial killer trying to murder you, and you have to kill them first (and then you will have Great Sex afterwards according to the aptly named Grossman :barf:)

Grossman is a loving monster who has done unfathomable harm to this country's law enforcement training. He needs to be shut down today.

There was no reason for this girl to die. Taser, baton, tackling, idk, "DROP THE loving KNIFE!" could have been yelled? He tries absolutely nothing.

This. It takes him maybe 5 seconds on the scene to do it. Also even if you believe it’s “justified”, he could of super easily hit the other lady too because he decided to pump 4 shots in. I think it’s a hosed situation and the cop should at the very least be sacked.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What was their justification for that one?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 21, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ryde posted:

Actually evaluating the situation isn't lusting for murder. No-one is happy that the cop shot the girl. Its a tragedy.

The police killed a young adult. I am sorry but the way in which people are going "oh well it was dangerous and she was a danger and etc etc" comes across more as "I lust for death but need it only to be doled out to those that deserve it, which is anyone I perceive as a threat". I know that more than likely it is based on "oh this will cause the least amount of time in the long term" or any number of good reasons why violence must be meted out towards people. It's just that, well, that argument is often ignored when it comes to things that are outside of accepted paradigms.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Josef bugman posted:

You would want to use a real knife in the experiment? Are you mad and do you want to die for the experiment?

A sharpie is an excellent way of demonstrating how stupid it is to try and go any where near someone with a knife is. The person without the knife will be covered in pen ink. That pen ink demonstrates how stabbed up you would be.

The lust for murder is not here, if anything you just have a lot of people with zero clue on any kind of physical combat training or experiencing trying to comment. One idiot even asked how dangerous a knife could possibly be. The police officer probably saved the other girl in pinks life.

Who would you rather see dead, the victim in pink, or the girl trying to murder her? Do you think the girl in pink should be sacrificed because you would rather see her murdered by a 15 year old girl than the 15 year old girl trying to murder people be murdered by a cop, is that your logic? In which case, why is that particular form of lust for murder ok but the police using deadly force to stop murder not ok?

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Kalit posted:

FYI, I think an important thing to be aware of before criticizing parenting is that this is a foster home. It's unclear how long she had been in this foster home for, how long these people have known her, etc: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/04/21/columbus-police-shot-killed-teen-girl-what-we-know/7316707002/

Thanks for this. Just a sad and hosed up situation all around.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

willie_dee posted:

The police officer probably saved the other girl in pinks life.

I'd question whether it'd end up life threatening if it really was a steak knife, given that they are not particularly long or sharp compared to something like a kitchen knife. But I don't think its reasonable to accurately identify the type of knife in 10 seconds in the middle of an active fight. Its hard to understate how difficult it is to come to a complete situational awareness in such a chaotic situation in so short of time.

I believe that Columbus police officers wear tasers, based on a quick google. Has it been confirmed that he was wearing one?

Josef bugman posted:

I know that more than likely it is based on "oh this will cause the least amount of time in the long term" or any number of good reasons why violence must be meted out towards people. It's just that, well, that argument is often ignored when it comes to things that are outside of accepted paradigms.

I hate violence but I think that sometimes there's no other choice and its regrettable. Opposing fascists and nazis comes to mind as an easy example. I'd rather they not be fascists and nazis, and that we could talk them out of their lovely beliefs, but I think everyone is fully aware how well that goes.

ryde fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 21, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

willie_dee posted:

You would want to use a real knife in the experiment? Are you mad and do you want to die for the experiment?

A sharpie is an excellent way of demonstrating how stupid it is to try and go any where near someone with a knife is. The person without the knife will be covered in pen ink. That pen ink demonstrates how stabbed up you would be.

The lust for murder is not here, if anything you just have a lot of people with zero clue on any kind of physical combat training or experiencing trying to comment. One idiot even asked how dangerous a knife could possibly be. The police officer probably saved the other girl in pinks life.

Who would you rather see dead, the victim in pink, or the girl trying to murder her? Do you think the girl in pink should be sacrificed because you would rather see her murdered by a 15 year old girl than the 15 year old girl trying to murder people be murdered by a cop, is that your logic? In which case, why is that particular form of lust for murder ok but the police using deadly force to stop murder not ok?

I mean the experiment you made up in your own head and that you have not tested might not be the best in terms of giving accurate results, would it?

Because unless you have Hanzo steeltm I don't think you are going to be able to harm someone in in the same way that a sharpie would.

Yes it is. You are, again, making excuses as to why the police could not help but kill this person because it lead to a greater good.

Neither. You only believe that one is possible because you seem convinced that the only way to resolve this situation was through lethal violence. I am unsure that that was the only way to resolve it.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. It takes him maybe 5 seconds on the scene to do it. Also even if you believe it’s “justified”, he could of super easily hit the other lady too because he decided to pump 4 shots in. I think it’s a hosed situation and the cop should at the very least be sacked.

He saved the lady in pinks life.

Open offer, anyone thinking this, is welcome to meet up with me and we can set up multiple scenarios where you get to repeatedly try and stop me getting ink all over you with a sharpie without using a gun to stop me.