Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Speak posted:

I'm in.

It's insane the whiplash you can get from seeing a headline/opening paragraph of "ugh, come on who could care" to hitting Tom Taylor's name and instantly being all in.

Also X-O is right, suit kicks rear end. I like it because it has a light touch of the New 52 suit, but then the way the cape stretches onto the shoulder pads and the S is a little warped make me think just a tad of DC 1,000,000 Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
BRB going to embarrass myself on Twitter talking about how Tom King is going to ruin Jonathan.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bendis already did that by aging him up. Taylor will save him. As long as DC doesn't do something stu... poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dreqqus posted:

BRB going to embarrass myself on Twitter talking about how Tom King is going to ruin Jonathan.

Would not be shocked if somebody had beaten you to it.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Dreqqus posted:

Wrong fella. We’re talking about the guy from Tool Time. I never read those comics but I bet superman will be a great carpenter. Doubt he’d even have to measure once, and imagine the woodburnt art.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Of course Superman would be a great carpenter, he's a Jesus metaphor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Of course Superman would be a great carpenter, he's a Jesus metaphor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jesus as a carpenter is one of my favorite Bible mistranslations. Because as we all know Israel was teeming with wooden houses right?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Just wait for the Jim Gaffigan run, carpentry will be addressed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really want Taylor (or someone even) to latch on to the Man Of Tomorrow name for Jon. The whole next generation and the Legion thing makes it the perfect one of the Superman sobriquets to give him.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
i'd be interested if someone other than Dan Jurgens was writing this
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1384945542732697605?s=20

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean at least Dan Jurgens probably won't turn Booster Gold into a murderous psycho like some other Tom Kings I know.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I'm still mad about that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FoneBone posted:

i'd be interested if someone other than Dan Jurgens was writing this
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1384945542732697605?s=20

Oh this should be a solid and enjoyable comic book. Nothing ground breaking or earth shattering. Just some good classic style stories. It is an 8 issue limited series.

Dan just wrote that big booster side story book. It was good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No comic revolving around social media should be written by someone over 35

which is probably also the age Dan Jurgens was at when he wrote his last good book

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

No comic revolving around social media should be written by someone over 35

which is probably also the age Dan Jurgens was at when he wrote his last good book

Dan Jurgens wrote the great Superman and Lois mini that brought the real Superman back and gave us Jon Kent. That was like five years ago.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I know Dan Jurgens is past his prime and has put out some real stinkers, but I still can't help but enjoy his stuff. It's generally solid and comfy junk food comics.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Mr Hootington posted:

Dan just wrote that big booster side story book. It was good.
i have literally no recollection of this book's existence

which honestly sums up my impression of jurgens pretty well

(i'm pretty much only familiar with his post-2006 DC work, but i'm hard pressed to think of anything he's written in that period I found enjoyable or even memorable)

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Wouldn’t someone from the 25th century get social media wrong in, like, really weird ways

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

Dan Jurgens wrote the great Superman and Lois mini that brought the real Superman back and gave us Jon Kent. That was like five years ago.

Alright I rescind my second point but I maintain the first one is true I don't want to know what a dude over 60 thinks about twitter

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dan Jurgens created Booster Gold, he can write him doing whatever he wants and I'll probably be there for it. Dan Jurgens is one of those writers that even with his missteps has already earned a lifetime pass from me.

I mean I made it through his Thor, I can make it through this.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FoneBone posted:

i have literally no recollection of this book's existence

which honestly sums up my impression of jurgens pretty well

(i'm pretty much only familiar with his post-2006 DC work, but i'm hard pressed to think of anything he's written in that period I found enjoyable or even memorable)

Yeah it was the 2 generations books. Generations: Shattered and Generations: Forged. I think they are not in continuity, but they were both enjoyable reads.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generations_(DC_Comics)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

vegetables posted:

Wouldn’t someone from the 25th century get social media wrong in, like, really weird ways

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

X-O posted:

Jesus as a carpenter is one of my favorite Bible mistranslations. Because as we all know Israel was teeming with wooden houses right?

I saw a movie once where he invented the table.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When I was a little kid in CCD we had to draw something Jesus would have made out of wood in Joseph's workshop and I drew a Wolverine car with claws that shot out of the hood and I got mildly yelled at in a way that I've never forgiven myself for.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They were jealous of this awesome idea

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Walking to Wittenberg to nail my list of 95 super sweet Marvel action cars to the door.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
They also announced a Shazam 4-issue limited series for July and hot drat I love this variant cover, it reminds me of The Lighthouse. DC is starting to get weird again and I love it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

That's a cool homage to a really great Doré!

I don't have much of an idea about what recent Shazam stories have been all about but this definitely has me intrigued.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well it's helmed by Sheridan who did the Future State stuff for Shazam and Teen Titans whiiiiiiiiich bodes................poorly..

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That looks less like an homage and more like "Hey I bet a Shazam would look better on this cool rear end piece of art." Gonna be honest, the cover artist could've tried a little harder to make Shazam look he wasn't just scotch taped onto an existing piece.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I understand they wanted to make Shazam the focal point, but the lighting is way off. Maybe rework the shading, and have his lightning bolt light him from the front.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Nightwing was fine; I love the art and his relationship with Babs, but the whole Bludhaven/Zucco plot is not catching me yet. Still will keep on reading it (though I forgot that DC didn't relaunch the book and wasted some time looking for a Nightwing (2021) run, instead of just continuing from his Rebirth volume.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Jurgens will always be how I define what Superman is supposed to look like in my head. He is past his prime but he still gets extremely excited about whatever he is writing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bring Back Mullet Superman.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

X-O posted:

It's kind of hard to beat the "Virgin Mary" one given how important it is to some people.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

X-O posted:

That looks less like an homage and more like "Hey I bet a Shazam would look better on this cool rear end piece of art." Gonna be honest, the cover artist could've tried a little harder to make Shazam look he wasn't just scotch taped onto an existing piece.

my first thought when seeing the Shazam cover was those Cerebus in Hell covers which do the exact same thing

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Hey i want to get back into dc comics, where should i start if i want to read superman?

Also what have they been doing with swamp thing and animal man lately, and is it wack

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ilikedirt posted:

Hey i want to get back into dc comics, where should i start if i want to read superman?

Also what have they been doing with swamp thing and animal man lately, and is it wack

The fist Rebirth series would be great to jump on, but I'd stop when it gets to the Bendis run and then kinda avoid him in general.

Ol' Swampy and Animal Man haven't had ongoings since the New 52, but they've popped up in small things. Poison ivy is a protector of the green now too, I believe, so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Vince MechMahon posted:

The fist Rebirth series would be great to jump on, but I'd stop when it gets to the Bendis run and then kinda avoid him in general.

Ol' Swampy and Animal Man haven't had ongoings since the New 52, but they've popped up in small things. Poison ivy is a protector of the green now too, I believe, so that's cool.

Will i hate the bendis run even if i actually enjoy brian michael