Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
And let’s plays exist for passively consuming entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Its extremely telling that even after explaining how this is not about lol baby mode people go right back to repeating that anyways because they either can't actually fathom something outside of their lived experience or know that arguing against the specifics of accessibility make them sound like total jerkoffs

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't understand why people are so hung up on these like four games out of the hundreds of thousands of games that exist

Why do these people want these few existing games to be changed specifically for them so much

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't care about sekiro. Haven't played it, don't intend to, from games have never been my thing. It's that people actively fight back against the idea that people with abilities lesser or different than their own should be allowed to play and enjoy a game that bug me

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

posting in the video game thread about video games made for discussing video games about how you just don't care about video games

Caring about the games and caring about gamers doing an eggplant run are very different.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

I don't care about sekiro. Haven't played it, don't intend to, from games have never been my thing. It's that people actively fight back against the idea that people with abilities lesser or different than their own should be allowed to play and enjoy a game that bug me

think of it like this - you can guarantee that people will have an "easier" time but you can't guarantee the experience will be any more enjoyable, whats the point in bending over backwards so that a small number of people *might* enjoy the experience more? especially when it might make other people enjoy it less. Why not just let the artist have their vision and everyone works around that? Is our ultimate goal to create everything so its as bland and digestible by as many people as possible? Of course not, people who create things are entitled to have a vision for their audience without considering every single person that might be challenged by it.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Thinking about it now with most of the areas in those games, sooner or later they do have the essence of an easy mode if you're just playing the game as you probably would the first time through and levelling up stats as you go. That's not even considering learning how to parry and backstab, feeling out how much equipment you want to carry and how agile you want your character, even what kind of weapon just feels right.

To bring it back to Sekiro, it feels a lot like this when you reach that point and it's worth it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcOUnXd-HQ

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of entitlement, I want developers to make multiplayer matchmaking based on skill that actually works. I just want to play a deathmatch every now and then against people who are as terrible as me

Current matchmaking doesn't do anything unless you are playing ranked matches, and even then it is so primitive as to be non-existent. CoD mainline series even does the opposite of skill-based matchmaking

Come on you cowards, devote your design and development time and money to letting me play with a room full of apathetic thirty-somethings

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
This whole stupid lame lovely 1000 post debate is why mods are good. Mods to make game easy. Mods to make game hard. Mods to put tittys in game. Mods for big guns. Whatever your heart desires.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JollyBoyJohn posted:

think of it like this - you can guarantee that people will have an "easier" time but you can't guarantee the experience will be any more enjoyable, whats the point in bending over backwards so that a small number of people *might* enjoy the experience more? especially when it might make other people enjoy it less. Why not just let the artist have their vision and everyone works around that? Is our ultimate goal to create everything so its as bland and digestible by as many people as possible? Of course not, people who create things are entitled to have a vision for their audience without considering every single person that might be challenged by it.

So the argument is that even offering something for people of differing abilities might not be enough and therefore shouldn't even try (which is speculation based on nothing and is gatekeeping in the form of concern trolling), and also that a mode that people who don't need it and would not use would be affected by this mode because...??

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
This is easily the dumbest, most awesome derail I've seen in a while.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gently caress yes I love reading pages of people tediously talking past each other

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

So the argument is that even offering something for people of differing abilities might not be enough and therefore shouldn't even try (which is speculation based on nothing and is gatekeeping in the form of concern trolling), and also that a mode that people who don't need it and would not use would be affected by this mode because...??

you realise someone has to work behind the scenes to perfect this experience you are proposing, you don't just push a button and magically make it happen, why should you expect an artist to do extra work to cater their works to a specific audience, thats insane

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

site posted:

It's so weird that the thought of including easier difficulty modes (or sliding difficult options) that they don't even have to use if they don't want to makes some gamers so irrationally mad

How does making a game more accessible affect you in any way if it's something you don't even have to use, unless you're a gigantic elitist gatekeeping rear end in a top hat

The issue isn't that there's a problem with including easier difficulty modes, most games do at this point and I have never heard anyone complain about it. The problem is acting like it's some sort of moral imperative of a developer to do so. If someone wants to make a game balanced around a specific difficulty, they don't need to balance a whole other mode to make it fun for people who don't want to engage with it's intended difficulty. Not every game has to be for everyone.

There's plenty of games out there that I find appealing on some level but just ultimately don't like playing for some reason, so I just opt not to play them instead of demanding they cater to me.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Excelzior posted:

gently caress yes I love reading pages of people tediously talking past each other

I just want to know if I'm a bad person or not for playing my game on default difficulty settings.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Willatron posted:

I just want to know if I'm a bad person or not for playing my game on default difficulty settings.

You did a racism. You did an imperialism. You did a nationalism. You did a xenophobia. You did a white fragility. You did a weak apology. You did no growth. This makes it abundantly clear you don't understand the intersectional nature of the multiplicity of your offenses

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-why-dark-souls-bloodborne-and-sekiro-dont-ha/1100-6459827/

itry
Aug 23, 2019

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

This whole stupid lame lovely 1000 post debate is why mods are good. Mods to make game easy. Mods to make game hard. Mods to put tittys in game. Mods for big guns. Whatever your heart desires.

:hmmyes:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I successfully had a meltdown on twitter hard enough that all 1000+ piece jigsaw puzzles are now posters

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you realise someone has to work behind the scenes to perfect this experience you are proposing, you don't just push a button and magically make it happen, why should you expect an artist to do extra work to cater their works to a specific audience, thats insane

You make it sound like allowing the window of an attack or block to go an extra second, or adjusting taking 3 or 4 hits until death instead of 2 something that takes months of work

Willatron posted:

i get this is a joke but it runs along with the strange theme that if these sorts of options were allowed for some reason every player must use them and it would affect their personal gameplay

site fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 21, 2021

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Difficulty in games is just part of the package. When it’s done well, it’s just as thoughtfully implemented as any other feature or mechanic in the game. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, but expecting something different is kind of absurd. I never finished cuphead cause I didn’t want to put in the time to get good enough at it. It just isn’t the game for me, and that’s fine!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Games should go back to allowing users to run servers. Then force everyone to use third party applications to find those servers.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I cried so hard on a tiktok that all cup and ball toys are now a ball glued to the inside of a mixing bowl

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

site posted:

i get this is a joke but it runs along with the strange theme that if these sorts of options were allowed for some reason every player must use them and it would affect their personal gameplay

Nah I don't give a poo poo how other people play their games, but I also don't care if the developers even include a difficulty slider because as I mentioned I only play on default settings. Not to get too up my own rear end about it but I see default difficulty as the developer intended experience and I want to see how the people who made the game think it ought to be played.

I don't see a real downside to including easier difficulty for people who want a simpler experience, I don't think it makes anybody ableist or lovely for not including one either. Much like directors make the movie they want or authors make the book they want for the audiences they want, developers will make games they want for the audience they want.

Willatron fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 21, 2021

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Doctor J Off posted:

They should make a video game in VR where the game is just a person in a room in front if a video game console, and you can pick up and play the games in the game system in the game. Maybe all thr virtual games all have adjustable settings and sliders, or whatever else you want. Basically a VR simulation of playing the games I want to play that should exist but don't instead of the real games that actually exist.

Does what I'm saying make sense?

Literally the very first thing you do in the “hello and welcome to VR” app when you buy an Oculus is to put virtual game cartridges into a virtual console and use them to learn how it works

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Willatron posted:

Nah I don't give a poo poo how other people play their games, but I also don't care if the developers even include a difficulty slider because as I mentioned I only play on default settings. Not to get too up my own rear end about it but I see default difficulty as the developer intended experience and I want to see how the people who made the game think it ought to be played.

I don't see a real downside to including easier difficulty for people who want a simpler experience, I don't think it makes anybody ableist or lovely for not including one either. Much like directors make the movie they want or authors make the book they want for the audiences they want, developers will make games for the audience they want.

:ssh: they have subtitles for movies and brail and audiobook versions of books

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

site posted:

:ssh: they have subtitles for movies and brail and audiobook versions of books

And they have specialized controllers and peripherals for people with disabilities to play video games. I don't like the notion this debate has had that the disabled automatically need gameplay dumbed down for them, tbh.

EDIT: To elaborate on that point, brail and audiobooks don't change the intended experience the author had for their audience. You don't change vocabulary to something less challenging when you convert it to accessible formats. Same goes for controllers and peripherals that help the disabled to play games. Changing the difficulty of gameplay can mean skipping puzzles, dumbing down combat and actually changing the intended developer experience. If games are art, and I believe they qualify as such, you're now talking about options that should be left up to the developer on whether or not they want to include them because it can affect what they were trying to create.

Willatron fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 21, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dont like the notion that changing the gameplay to help people makes something "dumbed down"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

site posted:

I dont like the notion that changing the gameplay to help people makes something "dumbed down"

Lol we've already done this bit a million times before you decided to jump in

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Willatron posted:

I don't see a real downside to including easier difficulty for people who want a simpler experience, I don't think it makes anybody ableist or lovely for not including one either. Much like directors make the movie they want or authors make the book they want for the audiences they want, developers will make games they want for the audience they want.

The developers who don't include them do it to be smug pricks about the experience of the games, so that their market feels validated for being good at video games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fridge corn posted:

Lol we've already done this bit a million times before you decided to jump in

Yeah well y'all went through 4 pages while i was sleeping and I'm not gonna read all that poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like Control a lot, and think the difficulty is well balanced around you being a glass cannon. A lot of people got stuck playing control because if that mechanical setup doesn't jive you're gonna have a real bad time over and over in fights.

Control later added toggles that were basically ways to tweak damage, health, mp etc for combat to your liking. I've never touched them. On this site alone so many people talked about how they tweaked them and thats what they needed to see a game they otherwise really liked to the end. I, even though I have beaten the game twice and never touched those options, am happy they're there so other people can have fun with the title.

Its not a big deal.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

imagine thinking all crosswords should start with the vowels already put in

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My partner has a neurological condition that messes with hand eye coordination, no specialized controller can help with that but they usually can play games if they aren't too fast paced. They play Morrowind just fine but struggled with Skyrim and by lowering the difficulty they were able to play Skyrim and come to the correct conclusion that it's not a very good game.

Thank you for coming to my budget community center Ted-X talk

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ideally a crossword puzzle should just be a list of words written out

Making one otherwise is violence to a vulnerable population

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Willatron posted:

And they have specialized controllers and peripherals for people with disabilities to play video games. I don't like the notion this debate has had that the disabled automatically need gameplay dumbed down for them, tbh.

EDIT: To elaborate on that point, brail and audiobooks don't change the intended experience the author had for their audience. You don't change vocabulary to something less challenging when you convert it to accessible formats. Same goes for controllers and peripherals that help the disabled to play games. Changing the difficulty of gameplay can mean skipping puzzles, dumbing down combat and actually changing the intended developer experience. If games are art, and I believe they qualify as such, you're now talking about options that should be left up to the developer on whether or not they want to include them because it can affect what they were trying to create.

Okay but wouldn't changing specific portions of the game based upon ease of use also be up to the developer, why necessarily blanket statement the idea that accessibility mean totally skipping puzzles, why is slightly widening move windows but keeping all the combat gameplay the same "dumbing down" and changing the experience. Wow you did a roll and then attack on the boss at a slightly longer speed than the normal difficulty the game is now ruined for people who aren't even using this mode

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I have hundreds of hours in dark souls 3. Here’s easy mode: use the best shield you have a long sword. only level health, endurance and strength. Keep health and endurance tied and ten points above strength. Stop leveling health and endurance when they get to 40. At that point your strength is 30. From that point on, only level strength. Now you can use a great shield and have enough stamina block anything or enough health to tank anything if you somehow gently caress up holding L2.

Ur welcome scrubs. If disabled ppl cannot press l2 and r1 is difficulty really the problem???? Just be honest and say it’s not about disabilities lol

If two buttons are too many buttons maybe just watch movies

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 21, 2021

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Games can be as difficult as the devs want to make them but only if they extend the Steam refund window to exactly the time it takes me to realise I'm not actually enjoying it. That's a fair compromise imo

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

In xcom the easiest difficulty setting actively cheats for you by secretly upping the odds as you take a 5% shot over and over, which hinders the player from ever learning to read and comprehend percentages, reinforcing the choice to make a bad bet and making it increasingly unlikely that you'll ever improve enough to move up to a harder setting. It's kind of baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

poverty goat posted:

In xcom the easiest difficulty setting actively cheats for you by secretly upping the odds as you take a 5% shot over and over, which hinders the player from ever learning to read and comprehend percentages, reinforcing the choice to make a bad bet and making it increasingly unlikely that you'll ever improve enough to move up to a harder setting. It's kind of baffling.

I think if a player is so bad that they're already trying that over and over again they're probably not going to learn how to play more effectively without the cheating.