Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If I have a knife to me the last people I want responding to it are cops because there was a time they shot a guy laying on the ground because they meant to shoot the autistic guy next to him or the time they got into an action movie shootout on the highway and used civilians as cover or the time they shot the poo poo out of a truck because the people driving it looked like some other people or the time that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
But your honor the movie Speed is an all time classic and they say “shoot the hostage” therefor,

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I mean it seems like pepperspray, taser, nightstick combo is pretty likely to work there, definitely should be attempted before blasting with victims that close.

Oops it keeps happening.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/04/hpd-says-it-wont-release-video-of-officers-fatally-shooting-16-year-old/

quote:

The Honolulu Police Department said Tuesday it won’t be sharing body camera footage of its officers shooting and killing a 16-year-old earlier this month.

“The Kalakaua Ave./Philip St. body worn camera videos and 911 recordings will not be released because the case involves juveniles,” department spokeswoman Sarah Yoro said in a statement.

Iremamber Sykap was killed as officers were pursuing the car he was driving, which police said was stolen. The department has declined to share basic information about the incident, including what prompted the officers to use deadly force.

Yoro did not cite a provision of any law that allows HPD to withhold the video and audio files. She did not immediately respond to questions about why the department won’t release footage redacting the faces of juveniles, the practice in other jurisdictions.

The announcement comes days after HPD released body camera video of officers shooting and killing a South African man in Nuuanu.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

If I have a knife to me the last people I want responding to it are cops because there was a time they shot a guy laying on the ground because they meant to shoot the autistic guy next to him or the time they got into an action movie shootout on the highway and used civilians as cover or the time they shot the poo poo out of a truck because the people driving it looked like some other people or the time that...

Honestly given how close the two girls were I'm stunned the cop didn't end up shooting both.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
So..theres a tv show in Iraq where they pretend to be ISIS and kidnap celebs, put suicide vests on them and tell them they are going to be executed - all for the benefit for viewers as a 'prank' :dogbutton:

Sorry for the Daily Fail link,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9495115/Outcry-Iraq-TV-fake-ISIS-fighters.html

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would argue that you don’t have to shoot someone with a knife when you have other alternatives available like OC and a taser.

Yes, an officer has to respond to a threat. The gun is always response #1 and it shouldn’t be.

So you want the officer to continue to give her verbal commands to stop (which she hasn't done or responded to because she's in an adrenaline dump), then use OC (which will fail and also probably hit the other girl), and then use a taser - which very well could miss entirely, or only one probe could hit, making it useless until he reloads it - all the while a girl is getting stabbed?

Lethal force is met with lethal force.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah, the officer couldn't put himself in danger to try and disarm or deescalate. He should jump immediately to lethal force and shooting a teenage girl

I know you'd love it if that cop got stabbed a bunch, but that's not how pokice are trained. Lethal force is met with lethal force.

Well trained police are trained with a few things in mind when it comes to LL - time, distance, and threat to others. If the person is just standing around and is no active threat, use LL to get them to drop the gun / knife, but always have a lethal option on them at all times. LAPD often uses 1 guy with 40mm beanbag / rubber rounds, 1 guy with a taser, and 2 with pistols on a subject armed with a knife, blunt object etc.

Use the 40mm to cause enough pain so the person snaps out of it and complies. Try the taser if that doesn't work. If taser fails, try again. If the person charges, that's when the officers with pistols shoot until the threat is down. This is SOP for LAPD and a lot of other departments.

As soon as the bad guy starts running towards people and becomes a threat to them, whether it's the officers or an innocent third party, you switch to lethal, because OC is a compliance device and is often ineffective, and a taser often fails and won't always work and often fails. The pistols on the other hand will reliably stop the armed party from hurting others.

All of this changes if the person is unarmed. Then IMO there's no excuse for using lethal unless the guy is actively kicking your rear end and you're about to die, or unless he goes for the gun. But that's a different scenario.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 21, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bored As gently caress posted:

So you want the officer to continue to give her verbal commands to stop, then use OC (which will fail and also probably hit the other girl), and then use a taser - which very well could miss entirely, or only one probe could hit, making it useless until he reloads it - all the while a girl is getting stabbed?

I know you'd love it if that cop got stabbed a bunch, but that's not how pokice are trained. Lethal force is met with lethal force.

Well trained police are trained with a few things in mind when it comes to LL - time, distance, and threat to others. If the person is just standing around and is no active threat, use LL to get them to drop the gun / knife, but always have a lethal option on them at all times. LAPD often uses 1 guy with 40mm beanbag / rubber rounds, 1 guy with a taser, and 2 with pistols on a subject armed with a knife, blunt object etc.

Use the 40mm to cause enough pain so the person snaps out of it and complies. Try the taser if that doesn't work. If taser fails, try again. If the person charges, that's when the officers with pistols shoot until the threat is down. This is SOP for LAPD and a lot of other departments.

As soon as the bad guy starts running towards people and becomes a threat to them, whether it's the officers or an innocent third party, you switch to lethal, because OC is a compliance device and is often ineffective, and a taser often fails and won't always work and often fails. The pistols on the other hand will reliably stop the armed party from hurting others.

All of this changes if the person is unarmed. Then IMO there's no excuse for using lethal unless the guy is actively kicking your rear end and you're about to die, or unless he goes for the gun. But that's a different scenario.

lol my guy if you want it to be okay to shoot black teen girls just tell us

e: p sure a cop will survive a few close calls from a kitchen knife better than that girl did several rounds from his gun. Nobody needed to die

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There is a reason I've been saying legally justified, and not morally justified.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

e: p sure a cop will survive a few close calls from a kitchen knife better than that girl did several rounds from his gun. Nobody needed to die

Cole, you're being a dense cheese again.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Baconroll posted:

So..theres a tv show in Iraq where they pretend to be ISIS and kidnap celebs, put suicide vests on them and tell them they are going to be executed - all for the benefit for viewers as a 'prank' :dogbutton:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9495115/Outcry-Iraq-TV-fake-ISIS-fighters.html

Every country has their version of the Paul brothers, I guess.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

So you want the officer to continue to give her verbal commands to stop, then use OC (which will fail and also probably hit the other girl), and then use a taser - which very well could miss entirely, or only one probe could hit, making it useless until he reloads it - all the while a girl is getting stabbed?

So what's the point of Castle Doctrine and self defense if the cops just show up and start blasting? Why bother calling the police at all?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's not Cole.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The lethal force was excessive and I'm wondering why a taser wasn't used instead, but what happens if the girl on the bad end of the knife gets stabbed, has something vital hit, and dies because the cop did nothing/not enough?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bulletsponge13 posted:

gently caress you, I'm not Cole.

I'm mad at bored as gently caress for being a dumb poo poo bootlicker that will forever try and rationalize police violence instead of realizing that it is built into the system.

gently caress you, gently caress anyone who tries to justify this as a "good shoot," legal or otherwise. Y'all are just carrying water for policing that allows such violence to continue.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

gently caress you, I'm not Cole.

Rude.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

bulletsponge13 posted:

update your spreadsheet

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Baconroll posted:

The whole thing's up on YouTube in that article's link.

And hooo-leee poo poo :allbuttons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMEduyyBFc

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

From the 30 seconds of the body cam footage that’s been released, you see Makiyah Brown winding up with a knife to stab the girl in the pink sweatshirt, who was standing there holding a small dog and seemingly not a threat to her, and also some dude kicking another person in the head. No one is saying Brown “deserved to die” but it’s a horrible situation that likely couldn’t have been resolved with a taser or pepper spray before pink shirt girl sustained a potentially lethal injury.

This is not to say that police use of force protocols aren’t totally hosed up or not in need revision at every level, or that policing in the US isn’t hosed up and in need of being dismantled and rebuilt entirely.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pantslesswithwolves posted:

From the 30 seconds of the body cam footage that’s been released, you see Makiyah Brown winding up with a knife to stab the girl in the pink sweatshirt, who was standing there holding a small dog and seemingly not a threat to her, and also some dude kicking another person in the head. No one is saying Brown “deserved to die” but it’s a horrible situation that likely couldn’t have been resolved with a taser or pepper spray before pink shirt girl sustained a potentially lethal injury.

This is not to say that police use of force protocols aren’t totally hosed up or not in need revision at every level, or that policing in the US isn’t hosed up and in need of being dismantled and rebuilt entirely.

She had enough time to swing on the girl who fell down, and got at least one swing in on the pink girl after chasing her to the car. Plenty of time to try a less than lethal option.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The whole thing's up on YouTube in that article's link.

And hooo-leee poo poo :allbuttons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMEduyyBFc

They learned this from us. :negative:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I loving KNEW Roger Stone would be involved in here somewhere.

https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1384879946317795330?s=19

Incidentally, GaetZ paid Stone's shady company, the one now being sued by the DOJ for $2 million. An ouroboros is shady poo poo!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56829278

quote:

An Indonesian navy submarine has gone missing with 53 people on board, military officials say.

The submarine was conducting a drill north of the island of Bali on Wednesday, but it failed to report back and contact was lost.

Indonesia's military chief said warships had been dispatched to find the KRI Nanggala-402 vessel.

Officials have called on Australia and Singapore to help in the search. The countries have not publicly commented.

The German-made submarine is thought to have disappeared in waters about 60 miles (100km) off the coast of Bali early on Wednesday morning.

"[The navy] is currently searching for it. We know the area but it's quite deep," First Admiral Julius Widjojono told AFP news agency.

Some reports say contact was lost after the submarine had been given clearance to dive into deeper waters.

Another poo poo day for submarines

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1384882691838025732

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Surely THIS will be the thing that brings down noted right-wing shitheel Tucker Carlson.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

She never used lethal force and the cop did. Stop justifying police murder.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Is Dan White also the "Twinkie Defense" guy?

E: yep sure is. Too many Twinkies as a cop leading to blood sugar imbalance or whatever leading to a whoopsie-daisy murdered someone :shobon:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 21, 2021

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Bored As gently caress, if you ever in the future want to justify a police shooting do it someplace else.

It is not welcome here, nor are you.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

The non-highlighted part is being a member of the Jesse Helms Foundation, which is also overtly racist.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
To the surprised of nobody he's always looked like an enormous privileged douchebag

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

McNally posted:

Bored As gently caress, if you ever in the future want to justify a police shooting do it someplace else.

It is not welcome here, nor are you.

We are bouncing people for discussing their opinions on a discussion board?

I don't agree with Bored As Duck's opinions but is the standard here really that if you disagree with the consensus you're told to leave?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Eyes Have It posted:

Is Dan White also the "Twinkie Defense" guy?

E: yep sure is. Too many Twinkies as a cop leading to blood sugar imbalance or whatever leading to a whoopsie-daisy murdered someone :shobon:

The Twinkies were never posited to cause altered state of mind. The suggestion was that Twinkie consumption demonstrated he was already in an altered state, because Twinkies would have been anathema to his granola-eating self.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Grip it and rip it posted:

Well, he went from being generally in agreement with the group on police violence to, in this one particular situation, having viewed the video and possessing some knowledge of training, disagreeing. So I guess yeah.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I don't agree with Bored As Duck's opinions but is the standard here really that if you disagree with the consensus you're told to leave?

No, the standard is that if you're trying to "well actually" your way into justifying a cop killing a child while already on a watchlist for being a misogynist then maybe you're not someone I want around.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I want to say the cop should have tased her much earlier when he first saw her swinging the knife around at people instead of waiting until the last minute, but he might have easily done another whoopsie and thought he was holding his taser when he had his gun out.

My main issue with saying that the victim was using lethal force and so lethal force was justified in response, is that okay maybe if a family member or neighbor of the person being attacked had used a CCW and shot the girl with the knife, I’d understand that. That makes some amount of sense.

But a cop should be held to a higher standard. Their job isn’t to murder anybody who acts threateningly. Their job should be to deescalate and pacify situations so that the justice system can sort it out later. If you’re going to be a BLUE LINE SHEEPDOG then you need to actually prove you deserve the immunities and privileges granted to you by acting with a level of bravery above and beyond what should be expected of an average person. Which means you can’t just start blasting when things happen, you’ve gotta be willing to put yourself between danger and the community members you serve. And in this case that means the at least 4 cops present should have used their tasers and their physical bodies to restrain the teenage girl with a knife when it first became clear she was a threat instead of waiting until she was mid-swing on her second target before executing her.

iKon posted:

She never used lethal force and the cop did. Stop justifying police murder.

Uh, a knife is definitely lethal force.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Internet Wizard posted:

Uh, a knife is definitely lethal force.

Who did she use the knife on?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

iKon posted:

Who did she use the knife on?

I couldn't tell if she had it in her hand when she was going after the girl who fell over backwards, but it was absolutely in her hand when she went after the girl in pink.

I watched a few times because my first thought when I saw the knife on the ground after the shooting was the cops planted it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Lotta people feverishly defending a cop shooting a 16 year old instead of even considering how it could be stopped from happening in the future, even when presented with ideas of how it could’ve been deescalated.

I think that’s the most problematic aspect of all this argument and speaks to why we have such a police brutality issue in this country.

If you are defending a cop shooting a 16 year old you have a severe lack empathy.

“Well actually, here’s why it’s ok that the cop shot a 16 year old” is so loving violent and barbaric.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

CainFortea posted:

I couldn't tell if she had it in her hand when she was going after the girl who fell over backwards, but it was absolutely in her hand when she went after the girl in pink.

I watched a few times because my first thought when I saw the knife on the ground after the shooting was the cops planted it.

So who did she use the knife on?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

dude you loving suck and are part of why people started leaving here eat a bag of rancid hairy dicks

okay boys take me away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I get that everyone wants to be right and will twist and squirm poo poo until they are right, but for fucks sake do you really want to be right about a cop shooting a 16 year old?

What the gently caress is wrong with you people?