Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Selachian posted:

Don't forget Captain America keeping his shield strapped to his back under his clothes.

Yeah, that looks a little odd (from the Marvel No-Prize Book).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Thor & Loki: Double Trouble #2. Loki tricked Thor into waking a dragon and hilarity ensues.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

robziel posted:

(Heat vision + cold breath) = steam + super strength = portable iron. Clark always looked freshly pressed.

Effort. Just use your super-hypnotism to make everyone THINK you're freshly pressed.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Selachian posted:

Don't forget Captain America keeping his shield strapped to his back under his clothes.

GPTribefan posted:

Also him wearing the ginormous chest plate under his clothes and it not being noticeable. Even when he slimmed it down in the red and gold armor there was no way everyone he saw wouldn’t have noticed.

That and the Angel hiding HUGE wings under his shirt in the back are the biggest “it’s the silver age, I just have to suspend a certain level of disbelief” things.

These all have the same answer. Starktech developed the image inducer (what Nightcrawler used during Claremont's run to look normal). Obviously, he was handing them out like candy to those who could afford to pay for them (sorry Morlocks).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Thor & Loki: Double Trouble #2. Loki tricked Thor into waking a dragon and hilarity ensues.

That art is cute. :3:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #11 (1944)

Heroes #3 (1996)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

That art is cute. :3:

The ladies over at Guruhiru do good work.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kalli posted:

These all have the same answer. Starktech developed the image inducer (what Nightcrawler used during Claremont's run to look normal). Obviously, he was handing them out like candy to those who could afford to pay for them (sorry Morlocks).

Morlocks wouldn't have wanted or need them. Looing hideous was an intentional choice to show how they were rejecting human society. They even had Masque who had flesh shaping powers and could make them look however they wanted and the rule was always "look ugly."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Snake snake snake is an incredibly powerful sound effect.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Snake snake snake is an incredibly powerful sound effect.
🎶Snake snake snake
Snake snake snake
Snake your booty🎶

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Space Squadron #3 (1951)

Zorro #1 (1994)

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Sassy Thor has no time for your bullets

Thor #283

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Thor bulletproof? I'm not sure if it's ever come up in a comic I read. I know the other Asgardians were super impressed by assault rifles in Simonson's run.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

My two favorite Superior moments are when Doc Ock realized that Peter had been pulling his punches all these years after he punches Scorpions jaw off.

And thread favorite, when Goblin realizes that Peter's back in control of his body.

I thought that one wasn't cool? Back in November I posted a reference to that sequence and, when Skwirl mentioned that the first panel was a gay joke, I said that I hadn't read it that way and was promptly corrected by a number of people

It'd be a fantastic sequence if the joke was different, of course

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 21, 2021

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Is Thor bulletproof? I'm not sure if it's ever come up in a comic I read. I know the other Asgardians were super impressed by assault rifles in Simonson's run.

Thor took punches to the face from pretty much everyone from Hulk to Thing and shrugged off Iron Man's repulsors, so I'm going to say he's bullet proof and didn't have to twirl his hammer to deflect those bullets.

Why wouldn't he do it though? Just looks like good fun.

E. yup, bullet proof

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Prior to the JMS reboot of Thor (which is where the below panels are from) Thor amazingly enough wasn't bulletproof, or if he was, he was so concerned about being shot that he would go out of his way to deflect bullets.

It was something that came up a lot on battle boards (primarily as a way of arguing that Thor was less tough than Superman.) but while there was countless examples pre 2000's of Thor taking lasers, magic blasts, bombs and Hulk punches to the face, very few examples of Thor getting shot and no-selling it.

There were lots of examples of him using his hammer to deflect bullets before they could hit him (and even in, I think Walter Simons run, he was doing it to spear traps set up by a Viking.)
There was also an example in Christopher Priests Black Panther run where Thor is shot in the head with a sniper rifle which breaks his skin and knocks him out*.

I believe comic pros Kurt Busiek and Tom Brevoort would go online a lot to argue how Thor wasn't bullet proof.

*= Even in that story they say that the bullet broke his skin but stopped at his skull. And I think Christopher Priest defended this scene to rabid onlilne Thor fans by saying that the script called for a high-tech Kirby style gun, but the artist (I think Mark Texeria) just drew it as a big modern sniper rifle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Post JMS Thor being powered up makes a bit of sense, since it's him coming back from Ragnorak. He stared death and annihilation in they eye and said "no, you blink."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

No-Prize attempt: Thor has always been bulletproof, but he finds getting shot at annoying. Just because my kid shooting Nerf darts at me won't kill me doesn't mean I want Nerf darts shot at my face all day. Same deal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Splint Chesthair posted:

No-Prize attempt: Thor has always been bulletproof, but he finds getting shot at annoying. Just because my kid shooting Nerf darts at me won't kill me doesn't mean I want Nerf darts shot at my face all day. Same deal.
Indeed, it would be like having pebbles flicked at you. Yes, you're not likely to die from it, but you would still prefer not. And he probably couldn't do the eyeball stunt from Superman Returns.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
This all makes Skurge using a loving assault rifle really weird.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
counterpoint: that scene was really badass

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

John Dyne posted:

Like I said, Asgardians were super duper loving impressed with assault rifles during the Walt Simonson run, they didn't get shot by them but they liked what they could do to Dark Elves, so they brought a poo poo ton back with them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Post JMS Thor being powered up makes a bit of sense, since it's him coming back from Ragnorak. He stared death and annihilation in they eye and said "no, you blink."

He also got the Odinforce for a while. I'm pretty sure he lost it since but it seems to have left him tougher than before.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

He also got the Odinforce for a while. I'm pretty sure he lost it since but it seems to have left him tougher than before.

I think he has it back, or something similar since he's king of Asgard now. Also he has Power Cosmic now maybe? I ditched Cates' Thor after a couple issues.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

John Dyne posted:

I think Thor is more durable than other Asgardians, who are, in turn, more durable than humans. So Thor might be bulletproof, but Volstagg isn't. So long as you're not fighting Thor at the Gjallerbru, an assault rifle might be a good weapon.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Effort. Just use your super-hypnotism to make everyone THINK you're freshly pressed.

Why even bother with clothes at all then? Just hypnotize people into thinking you are wearing clothes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phy posted:

I thought that one wasn't cool? Back in November I posted a reference to that sequence and, when Skwirl mentioned that the first panel was a gay joke, I said that I hadn't read it that way and was promptly corrected by a number of people

It'd be a fantastic sequence if the joke was different, of course

I don't know if I'd call it a 'gay joke' so much as just part of the whole 90s 'guys not doing traditional man things is funny' that was often but not always homophobic. 'Man-purse' jokes were similarly rooted in insecure masculinity, and often said by people who'd also find homophobic jokes funny, but by itself isn't homophobic.

A joke doesn't have to be offensive to be outdated and unfunny, and that joke is absolutely outdated and unfunny. C'mon, Spidey, I respect that you're probably rusty, but you can do better than a quip from Friends.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s a joke that plays off of patriarchal stereotypes which emboldens bigotry and mockery against anything not conforming to cis hetero standards, so yes, it is definitely a homophobic joke.

Not attacking anyone who said otherwise, it’s an easy joke to obfuscate with what aboutisms, but it’s a joke still rooted in bigoted stereotypes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's making fun of a guy for doing something traditionally feminine, which is cheap and beneath Spider-Man.

If it was a better insult that would be an amazing sequence of panels, the art does a lot to sell it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

IYKK posted:

Why even bother with clothes at all then? Just hypnotize people into thinking you are wearing clothes.

I'm liking this grubby Superman reboot. Lex hates Superman because he's the only one who knows he's not wearing clothes, but no believes him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

I'm liking this grubby Superman reboot. Lex hates Superman because he's the only one who knows he's not wearing clothes, but no believes him.

Reminds me of Black Superman and how his world's Lex is still white and is constantly yelling about how he hates Superman but not in a racist way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

I don't know if I'd call it a 'gay joke' so much as just part of the whole 90s 'guys not doing traditional man things is funny' that was often but not always homophobic. 'Man-purse' jokes were similarly rooted in insecure masculinity, and often said by people who'd also find homophobic jokes funny, but by itself isn't homophobic.

A joke doesn't have to be offensive to be outdated and unfunny, and that joke is absolutely outdated and unfunny. C'mon, Spidey, I respect that you're probably rusty, but you can do better than a quip from Friends.
You could build some kind of a riff off of "messenger bag," you don't even have to change the art.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Superman should also be tubby and out of shape. He gets his incredible strength from the sun and can lift buildings with ease, which makes it difficult to get a proper workout, let alone a bodybuilding routine. He just uses hypnosis to make everyone believe that he's totally chiseled and ripped.

If DC wants to stay relevant, they will give us Fat Naked Schlub Superman, the boldest and most exciting new take on the character since his original conception.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nessus posted:

You could build some kind of a riff off of "messenger bag," you don't even have to change the art.

Slott had like two years to write his big Spider-Man return scene, and that’s the joke he went with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Libra posted:

Superman should also be tubby and out of shape. He gets his incredible strength from the sun and can lift buildings with ease, which makes it difficult to get a proper workout, let alone a bodybuilding routine. He just uses hypnosis to make everyone believe that he's totally chiseled and ripped.

If DC wants to stay relevant, they will give us Fat Naked Schlub Superman, the boldest and most exciting new take on the character since his original conception.

Superman is at least shown to have hyperdense lifting weights in the fortress of solitude and other such things every once in a while so it's not like he's just coasting on his strength. He should probably still look more like a circus strongman than a bodybuilder, like he did in the golden age, but that critique applies to superheroes in general.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Way of X #1. A mutant has been reborn with all her powers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Synthbuttrange posted:

Way of X #1. A mutant has been reborn with all her powers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Libra posted:

Reminds me of the commentary for the second X-Men movie, where James Marsden proudly explains that Cyclops' fight scene was his idea and that it's there to show why Cyclops isn't just a schlubby fat dude with punch vision.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s a local Detroit radio host that worked at a theme park with James Marsden while they were teenagers, and his jealousy is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Open Marriage Night posted:

There’s a local Detroit radio host that worked at a theme park with James Marsden while they were teenagers, and his jealousy is hilarious.

X-Men: The Last Stand must be his favorite movie.