Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pi 400 is cool

like literally. big heatspreader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

they said "stock kernel"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yeah I usually have a few stock kernels pop out after a bbq with corn on the cob

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

the pi is supported enough for me, just wanted to know if there was some new popular board out there i should be using instead without dealing with a hacked up 4.9 kernel and no power management support. thanks!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i kinda want to buy a new monitor because my 1440p one is too much resolution for my old graphics card to use without screen-tearing.

since 1080p is a non-cutting edge size i am thinking about spending more and getting a really nice 1080 monitor but i have no idea how to monitor shop. what brands/models can i trust?

the last time i saw a monitor advertisement was in a magazine in like 1999

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
is this for gaming? tbh i'd consider just turning things down a bit in settings and saving the money for buying a gpu when they're reasonably priced again

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

i kinda want to buy a new monitor because my 1440p one is too much resolution for my old graphics card to use without screen-tearing.

since 1080p is a non-cutting edge size i am thinking about spending more and getting a really nice 1080 monitor but i have no idea how to monitor shop. what brands/models can i trust?

the last time i saw a monitor advertisement was in a magazine in like 1999

just get a 4k and run games at 1080

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

it is all over the place. I think my graphics card just doesn't have the necessary space to render a whole 1440p screen. I get screen tearing on youtube and poo poo too. I've tried just running it at 1080p but my monitor's interpolation is really bad and it makes everything look like it was drawn in crayon

its a radeon r9 380 and it is 6 years old and wasn't even particularly good at the time of purchase

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

the performance was perfectly good until my old monitor broke and i switched to the one that work gave me (with more pixels) and now screen tearing happens everywhere and it really irritates me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

that is more that enough gpu for rendering a desktop and some h.264 decode. you've got something fucky and bad going on, that thing should only be choking on 3d games

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lmao turns out that it might just only be firefox, and the cause was that somehow firefox forgot to not use hw acceleration when available and that seems to have fixed it

it baffles me to this day that "use hw acceleration" had never worked on any machine i've ever had. not sure what that setting was intended for

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i was gonna say even integrated gfx can handle hires compositing these days. good that you can save yourself some dosh

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Corla Plankun posted:

i have no idea how to monitor shop.

rtings.com knows of what they speak, no bullshit

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

is there some clever way I can pull the audio channels off a displayport link and route it to spdif? I was hoping my monitor would have an audio-out port but its only 3.5mm stereo. I know I've seen hdmi dongles do it but never displayport

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

is there some clever way I can pull the audio channels off a displayport link and route it to spdif? I was hoping my monitor would have an audio-out port but its only 3.5mm stereo. I know I've seen hdmi dongles do it but never displayport

what's your audio source

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my desktop, amd whatever card with audio out on the display connection. old motherboard had optical out so it was easy, this new one only has analog outputs. I dunno, maybe there is a spdif header tucked away on the motherboard I didn't notice

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my desktop, amd whatever card with audio out on the display connection. old motherboard had optical out so it was easy, this new one only has analog outputs. I dunno, maybe there is a spdif header tucked away on the motherboard I didn't notice

there might be but in terms of ease of use i'd probably just buy a usb dac that has s/pdif/optical out

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

there's a 3.5mm optical spdif-out standard so you get a combined spdif/stereo 3.5mm output jack, does it have one of those? i think they're less common these days though

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

there's a 3.5mm optical spdif-out standard so you get a combined spdif/stereo 3.5mm output jack, does it have one of those? i think they're less common these days though

yeah, I was hoping for that but no dice, msi cheaped out and there's a bunch of digital in/out options on this realtek chip that are inaccessible

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah, I was hoping for that but no dice, msi cheaped out and there's a bunch of digital in/out options on this realtek chip that are inaccessible

whats your mobo model

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

as an alternative, i have a device i use for getting the audio from an hdmi signal; most of that sort of thing runs on hdmi as it's so universal. you'd just need a displayport -> hdmi converter and something like that, they're like $20 or so on amazon it works fine

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

also there are inexpensive usb sound cards w/ digital outs, like this one that are plug and play and work fine on most anything

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

mediaphage posted:

whats your mobo model

msi b450-a pro max

Broken Machine posted:

as an alternative, i have a device i use for getting the audio from an hdmi signal; most of that sort of thing runs on hdmi as it's so universal. you'd just need a displayport -> hdmi converter and something like that, they're like $20 or so on amazon it works fine

ah yeah, the video card has hdmi out. I should be able to pull it off that, thanks!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

msi b450-a pro max

ah yeah, the video card has hdmi out. I should be able to pull it off that, thanks!

you're welcome, this is the one i used, i have a couple and they've worked fine. you can also just passthrough the audio w/ them or adjust the output formats to what you want

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if you’re going to buy a thing though just buy a usb dac instead of loving with splitting the audio off of an hdmi port. it doesn’t get any easier than that

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mediaphage posted:

if you’re going to buy a thing though just buy a usb dac instead of loving with splitting the audio off of an hdmi port. it doesn’t get any easier than that

one thing that's cool w/ the device that extracts the audio is you can listen to the audio w/o the display when normally you might not be able to. i agree though, sometimes you'd want that instead which is why i also mentioned and linked that as well

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

one thing that's cool w/ the device that extracts the audio is you can listen to the audio w/o the display when normally you might not be able to. i agree though, sometimes you'd want that instead which is why i also mentioned and linked that as well

yes i mentioned buying a usb dac several posts ago

i don't understand how having one would prevent you from listening to audio without the display, though

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mediaphage posted:

yes i mentioned buying a usb dac several posts ago

i don't understand how having one would prevent you from listening to audio without the display, though

well, if you used a usb dac or a sound device and had that as the primary audio, the audio would keep going as well. but if you run the audio over hdmi, most computers will mute the audio if they don't detect a display so it's handy for that

one thing that's still somewhat annoying to me is muxing digital and analog audio streams without using a bunch of hardware designed for a recording studio. like if you have one optical, a couple s/pdif, rca and so on. i usually end up just converting everything to rca which is fine, but there was a cool roland 1u digital mixer that's now out of production to bundle different digital / analog sources together. afaik there still isn't other hardware that provides a simple way to do that (without spending a bunch for clunky recording studio stuff)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive been wanting a goddamn all optical spdif mixer for SO LONG. i know about that roland box. i think there were some others too but theyre all megabucks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dearest yospos, if i want to back up my windows system to my home-built NAS (i know i know raid isn't backup etc) what software should i be using

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Luigi Thirty posted:

dearest yospos, if i want to back up my windows system to my home-built NAS (i know i know raid isn't backup etc) what software should i be using

have you ever, like, heard a podcast?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs works on windows now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sniep posted:

have you ever, like, heard a podcast?

i will back my disk up to meundies.

:yaycloud: storage is the way to go I guess, just don’t know what storage service is goon-approved

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 30, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there are lots of reasonable cloud options these days including just rolling your own via aws or whatever if you don’t need to transfer data out very often or are trying to save all your downloaded linux isos

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i use duplicacy to backup to a local raid drive and to onedrive since i already have an account

i use the free command line version and have a few scheduled tasks setup to run it. works with windows and macos and linux but i've only run it with windows and macos.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use https://bvckup2.com

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hi sniep

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

hi

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
my late uncle had an lg tracfone model l64lv. we don’t know the passcode, but we’re trying to get access to it to retrieve any files and such.

i’ve never dealt with androids, but i figure there is some way to bypass the passcode. anyone able to help or point me in the right directions?

e: i realize my answer is likely “find someone with a cellbrite” or something similar. i understand this might not be something with a quick and easy solution.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cant you jsut fuckin plug it in and it pops up as a usb drive