Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The thing about Cruelty Squad that is not seen in the videos/screenshots, it has absolutely tight controls, really open levels that reward exploration and give you actual reason to shell out cash for implants/upgrades and when playing it you don't actually feel it's made in loving GODOT engine (yeah, no unity or unreal). It's like Hotline Miami as a Quake TC, fast and hard gameplay but one that allows you quite a lot experimentation and finding your own ways to solve the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ok this is exactly how i feel about deadly premonition, one of my favorite games of all time, so i guess i had better play some cruelty squad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1384886491491540992?s=20

:bisonyes:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I finally realized that the Redneck poo poo monsters look almost exactly like Mac from the Disney classic, Mac and Me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They seem to be creating a strawman argument. Who said it has bad game design? Who are those armchair designers?

The obvious thing with the game is the visual design. But that's not game design. From what I'm reading, the game design is slightly niche but very solid. Steam is big enough that being somewhat niche still can net you enough profits.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Turin Turambar posted:

They seem to be creating a strawman argument. Who said it has bad game design? Who are those armchair designers?

The obvious thing with the game is the visual design. But that's not game design. From what I'm reading, the game design is slightly niche but very solid. Steam is big enough that being somewhat niche still can net you enough profits.
There was that one bad take from a professional game designer wasn't there?

I bet Randy pitchford absolutely hates cruelty squad, too. He thinks it's trash and is planning to buy it and lock it in the Good Duke Vault

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

they're not referring specifically to cruelty squad haters, but to people who dismiss particular design elements as being inherently bad, worthless or undesirable. note also that those threads refer to design generally, not game or visual design specifically

Weedle
May 31, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There was that one bad take from a professional game designer wasn't there?

he didn't really have a "take," he just wanted to share his smug steam refund message with everyone. same guy who like two days ago was saying gamers are to blame for killing franchises by buying games on sale

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Weedle posted:

he didn't really have a "take," he just wanted to share his smug steam refund message with everyone. same guy who like two days ago was saying gamers are to blame for killing franchises by buying games on sale

To be fair that wasn’t David Jaffe that was the days gone lead saying that in David jaffes YouTube podcast thing. Jaffe actually had a decent rebuttal with “how will players know they love a game until they buy it?” which the days gone guy had no answer to and quickly changed the topic. Jaffe is still an idiot though. A real dumb.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Another Necromunda trailer.

https://twitter.com/FocusHome/status/1384825364602671104

I was under the impression we'd be playing as gruff british guy but there's a part in the trailer where he goes "This is you" and it cuts between a bunch of different customizable characters. Hrmmm.

This trailer is pretty drat fantastic! I'm worried to be hyped for a 40k game.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Overbite posted:

To be fair that wasn’t David Jaffe that was the days gone lead saying that in David jaffes YouTube podcast thing. Jaffe actually had a decent rebuttal with “how will players know they love a game until they buy it?” which the days gone guy had no answer to and quickly changed the topic. Jaffe is still an idiot though. A real dumb.

true i was misremembering the tweet. in the one i was thinking of he was saying poor sales of syphon filter dark mirror killed the franchise, which i thought was odd because that game got a sequel

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

BaconCopter posted:

This trailer is pretty drat fantastic! I'm worried to be hyped for a 40k game.

I think it's the same team that made Spacehulk: Deathwing, so...take that as you will

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Goddamn Redneck Rampage is worse than I remember. I never finished it and only played it with cheats on but it seems so loving terrible.

Weedle posted:

true i was misremembering the tweet. in the one i was thinking of he was saying poor sales of syphon filter dark mirror killed the franchise, which i thought was odd because that game got a sequel

Not to defend the guy because the original statement was stupid, but him complaining about the PSP having a huge piracy problem makes sense. Anecdotally speaking, I was literally the only person I knew out of like a dozen people who bought a PSP who also bothered to actually buy games for it. Syphon Filter Dark Mirror was dope as gently caress, though the sequel wasn't as good (and also ended up not buying that one :v:)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

UnknownMercenary posted:

Goddamn Redneck Rampage is worse than I remember. I never finished it and only played it with cheats on but it seems so loving terrible.

Not to defend the guy because the original statement was stupid, but him complaining about the PSP having a huge piracy problem makes sense. Anecdotally speaking, I was literally the only person I knew out of like a dozen people who bought a PSP who also bothered to actually buy games for it. Syphon Filter Dark Mirror was dope as gently caress, though the sequel wasn't as good (and also ended up not buying that one :v:)

i bought both of them and you're right, dark mirror was definitely better. probably the overall best syphon filter game honestly. a moderately bright star in a mostly dim sky

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Weedle posted:

the only truly good build game is blood

This is not true. Duke Nukem 3D is a great game. Is Blood the best build engine now that Fresh Supply exists? Yeah, can be.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SCheeseman posted:

Redneck Rampage absolutely sucks.

It's a terrible game built around a really fun idea, and hopefully that idea can be realized in a more competent fashion someday

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I was under the impression we'd be playing as gruff british guy but there's a part in the trailer where he goes "This is you" and it cuts between a bunch of different customizable characters. Hrmmm.

It's like Vermintide where it's a cooperative FPS

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

It's a terrible game built around a really fun idea, and hopefully that idea can be realized in a more competent fashion someday

It's like Vermintide where it's a cooperative FPS

The second Vermintide-like in the W40K universe with a setting of a human hive world, actually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UifdRoC8I

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I agree with Civvie that those visuals are nice in RR but gently caress everything else.

I played it back in the day and just thought I was really terrible at it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Deathwing sucks, Vermintide is pretty okay, this looks rad so I really hope its good

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Weedle posted:

the only truly good build game is Duke Nukem 3D

Fixed that for you

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blood is great too but I prefer Duke to it.

I don’t really like Shadow Warrior. It feels awkward to play for me and it’s embarrassingly racist. The nuke weapon is cool though.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I'm the only one holding a little candle for Witchaven here, I know it. I like it better than Ion Fury.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I remember I bought a disc copy of Redneck Ramage a couple of years back from a Goodwill, where it was erroneously filed in with a bunch of music CDs.

Thinking about it now, that was probably a sign that the one truly redeeming aspect of Redneck Rampage is the music. Still, it's technically in my backlog...

I guess here's a question that highlights my ignorance when it comes to game design; wouldn't it be possible to fix some of the design flaws in Redneck Rampage via modding or something? I know it's not feasible to revamp entire levels like the Sewer, but I remember a short discussion about the game here in the hread a few years back, and something that got brought up was tweaking the enemy health values down to not make them as spongy. Wouldn't it be possible to do something similar to make guns work better or to add some more damage feedback? I imagine the issue is that there's only so much you can do, since the source code differs from Duke3D, and it's not publicly available, but it seems like there a lot of little changes that could help build it up to being a better (even tolerable) game.

the thread posted:

Cruelty Squad

Oh poo poo, I didn't know the thread was talking about this. Someone I follow on Twitter has been praising and highlighting it, but I thought it was pretty niche.

What is Cruelty Squad supposed to be, anyway? The screenshots and description make it sound like Deus Ex, but with the visuals of some weird, independently made Window 3.1 game.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Max Wilco posted:

I remember I bought a disc copy of Redneck Ramage a couple of years back from a Goodwill, where it was erroneously filed in with a bunch of music CDs.

Thinking about it now, that was probably a sign that the one truly redeeming aspect of Redneck Rampage is the music. Still, it's technically in my backlog...

I guess here's a question that highlights my ignorance when it comes to game design; wouldn't it be possible to fix some of the design flaws in Redneck Rampage via modding or something? I know it's not feasible to revamp entire levels like the Sewer, but I remember a short discussion about the game here in the hread a few years back, and something that got brought up was tweaking the enemy health values down to not make them as spongy. Wouldn't it be possible to do something similar to make guns work better or to add some more damage feedback? I imagine the issue is that there's only so much you can do, since the source code differs from Duke3D, and it's not publicly available, but it seems like there a lot of little changes that could help build it up to being a better (even tolerable) game.

The source isn't available but it's been reverse engineered to the point that at least one modern Build engine port can run it in a way that's indistinguishable from the original, but with modern niceties. So it would definitely be possible to alter the gamedefs or source to your liking and see how it goes, and I think there would be some interest in a Redneck Remastered or something to that effect. It would just take making a list of the flaws, determining the ways by which those could be fixed or amended, and then playtesting and fine tuning. After that point somebody could create an episode centered around the improvements and pointedly designed to not suck...

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

duke3d is fine but blood is so much better that they might as well be on different planets

blood is amazing, best build engine by far and it's not even close

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress Duke.

Woo Caleb.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

PC Exhumed/Powerslave is pretty good. A lot of people seem to ignore it or trash it in favor of the also good (and very different) console version, but despite some occasional bullshit level design and those annoying cat lady enemies I think I enjoyed my time with the PC version more. Maybe a step below Shadow Warrior, but far better than Redneck Rampage or any of that Capstone garbage.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jehde posted:

gently caress Duke.

Woo Caleb.

Kill Lo Wang?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Max Wilco posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't know the thread was talking about this. Someone I follow on Twitter has been praising and highlighting it, but I thought it was pretty niche.

What is Cruelty Squad supposed to be, anyway? The screenshots and description make it sound like Deus Ex, but with the visuals of some weird, independently made Window 3.1 game.

Cruelty Squad is like Strife or even more accurately, Tekwar, but it has a really unique aesthetic and its an indie game and some people were making GBS threads on it so a bunch of other people flocked to it to support a small indie and hey at least its original and not the same corporate FPS poo poo we've seen 10,000 times.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

The source code was never released, but since it's based on the Duke3D code it's been reverse-engineered by a few people. Hence the various source ports. It also uses Duke3D's CON scripting language, so technically it would be possible for people to delve into the code and de-jank parts of it. The Java-based BuildGDX source port has already made the most important improvement of all: Larger, brighter, colour-coded keys, and telling you what key a locked thing needs!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Couldn't get into Powerslave because of the wonky arsenal. How do you make an FPS without a shotgun equivalent? The Player Dude even has one slung over his back on the cover art! :argh:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've been slowly making my way through Blood for the first time, and I'm absolutely loving it! I feel like trying anything else will be a let down. I have a ton of modern "old" style fps games on my Steam wishlist, but I feel like Ion Fury would probably be the closest. Hopefully it goes on sale sometime soon.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

I've been slowly making my way through Blood for the first time, and I'm absolutely loving it! I feel like trying anything else will be a let down. I have a ton of modern "old" style fps games on my Steam wishlist, but I feel like Ion Fury would probably be the closest. Hopefully it goes on sale sometime soon.

If you like Blood then give DUSK a try, it's great

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

I hope he makes a video on it cause I genuinely don't understand Cruelty Squad. I finished one level, I can see the gameplay being decent but the visuals, oh god it's a struggle to even look at that game. Probably the worst menus I've ever seen, really not a fan of the music either

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDvkBUqWkiw

Just watched this, Lobotomy Software really did some great stuff on the Saturn, too bad they ended up as a subsidiary to Crave entertainment.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Convex posted:

If you like Blood then give DUSK a try, it's great

Dusk is good, but it's altogether an easier and more fair experience than Blood.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
cruelty squad is like an fps for people who wanted deus ex to look more like hylics 2

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I've put a lot of thought into it and I finally know what my true dream retro FPS would be.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace: The Game

In it, you play as Dr Rick Dagless MD and must fight through 6 levels, from the basement of Darkplace Hospital up to the rooftop, battling monsters in order to close a portal hell that has opened up over the building. At the end of each level you meet a new character from the show who then gives you a new weapon. Lucien Sanchez gives you his semi-auto, Thornton Reed gives you his shotgun, Liz Asher has fashioned some kind of chemical flask thrower that acts as the game's rocket launcher, etc. In between levels are short cutscenes (using low res screenshots from the show) and most of the monsters are based on monsters from the show. Apefied hospital personnel, horrible eye beasts, etc.

The flat, orthogonal levels of Wolfenstein with the fluidity of Doom and the interactivity of Duke 3D. And like the show, there'd be a story behind the actual game that was completely untrue. Garth Marenghi wrote, directed, designed, and funded the game himself in 1990 but it got stuck in dev hell for 8 years and came out the day before Half-Life, so it was already outdated tech and design wise and then completely disappeared.

Music by Bobby Prince, based on tunes hummed by Garth Marenghi.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

Edit: I forgot the ending. Larry Renwick is the final boss, posessed by Lucifer himself. After you blow him up Garth says, "Larry.....are you all right?"

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 22, 2021

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace: The Game

Totally on board with this, as long as we can use the gibs from Rise of the Triad to depict people that inconveniently blow up.

And Turok's fog for when the Scottish show up, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"No, that's not lag during the explosions, we just put the game in slow motion a lot to pad out the playtime."