Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sachant posted:

I liked The Vision™ and Verant/989 EQ. I like playing on P99 EQ too. Pantheon won't be anywhere close to any of those things. Which could be a good thing for some but definitely not for me.

Yeah even if this was ever finished and not a total gently caress up from the beginning it still doesn't look like what I'd want which is that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think there's almost no chance anyone's going to make what the people chasing the EQ dragon want. I suspect then even if a game was literally a carbon copy of EQ with better graphics, it still wouldn't be the same for a lot of people.

I remember on the Vanguard forums, pre-beta and pre-alpha, if you talked about how much you liked a feature in an MMO that wasn't in EQ, people would freak. If you pointed out all the ways VG was going to be different than EQ, features and aspects that were already announced, well known, and shown on the main site, people would freak. "No! This game should be exactly like EQ and will be exactly like EQ LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 18, 2021

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

FrostyPox posted:

I think there's almost no chance anyone's going to make what the people chasing the EQ dragon want. I suspect then even if a game was literally a carbon copy of EQ with better graphics, it still wouldn't be the same for a lot of people.

Agreed on the first point, but you overestimate my intelligence if you think I wouldn't throw my life away to play a carbon copy of EQ.

I spent over a year playing P99 and it was my favorite gaming experience of the decade.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

I remember on the Vanguard forums, pre-beta and pre-alpha, if you talked about how much you liked a feature in an MMO that wasn't in EQ, people would freak. If you pointed out all the ways VG was going to be different than EQ, features and aspects that were already announced, well known, and shown on the main site, people would freak. "No! This game should be exactly like EQ and will be exactly like EQ LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

I think the only parts of Vanguard I didn't like were defaulting to third person view and doing the WoW ! for quests. I'm bummed I worked full time and went to school full time during its launch because my brother and his friend had so much fun with it and I felt so left out on them telling me about out of the way dungeons and poo poo.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think the only parts of Vanguard I didn't like were defaulting to third person view and doing the WoW ! for quests. I'm bummed I worked full time and went to school full time during its launch because my brother and his friend had so much fun with it and I felt so left out on them telling me about out of the way dungeons and poo poo.

I played Vanguard for a bit and recall... not hating it, but it performed so poorly I got sick of the frame rate drops and crashes and hideously long load times and had to stop playing it. I remember the diplomacy mini-game actually being pretty fun. I also just happen to remember a very vocal minority that didn't seem interested in what the game actually was; just Brad McQuaid was making it so obviously it was going to be EQ + better graphics, even to the point where they didn't want Warriors to have anything other than auto-attack, kick, and shield slam.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

I'd definitely play it. I like P99 a lot and that's as close as you can get, closer even than the TLP servers. There are some things I'd personally like to change from EQ but I feel like what makes classic EQ work so well is held together by a thread -- change little things and you risk breaking it entirely. I'd sooner take the EQ model wholesale, warts and all, than some untested spin on it from people I have no reason to have faith in, like VR.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Sachant posted:

I liked The Vision™ and Verant/989 EQ. I like playing on P99 EQ too. Pantheon won't be anywhere close to any of those things. Which could be a good thing for some but definitely not for me.

see this is exactly what i mean. say what you will about verant/eq and "the vision", and in fact I know you will. its something people love to argue about and that's why its a cornerstone of the kickstarting a fake game market. it generates buzz - it makes people want to buy jpegs.

what is the current pantheon team? some loving idiots mumbling about tightening up the graphics on level 3? no one cares.

we need something bold - someone to say something like "we are implementing microtransactions but purely as a penalty. p2win? more like lose & pay."

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Well, you're in luck: https://www.projectn.online/
I'm ready to be disappointed again.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sachant posted:

Hell yeah, another old school hardcore MMO being developed by a small unfunded team. Can't wait for this game to never come out!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sachant posted:

I appreciate what they are doing, but this is already off on the wrong foot since it came together as a small group of online friends having rose tinted glasses on about MMORPGs. Imagine all of us in this thread deciding to make a discord server to get to work on an MMO. That is essentially what this is.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Sachant posted:

Where is the donate page? Where is my credit card?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

Where is the donate page? Where is my credit card?

Yeah I was surprised to see nothing is available. I assume its coming down the line at some point though.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Imagine all of us in this thread deciding to make a discord server to get to work on an MMO. That is essentially what this is.

I think it's a little more than that but not much. They have a guy who is/was pretty active in the EQ emulator coding scene and seems to actually know how an EQ server is made and runs. And the lead guy is a former EQ lead designer, admittedly from one of the worst periods in the game's lifetime, and was also some exec from some niche fantasy horse MMO (this is not a joke) that apparently made some amount of money.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Sachant posted:

don't have a game, a universe, a story, hell don't even have a title. but they got a list of races

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

some might say i'm a little hasty - but thinking about reaching and making sure we can reserve the name "Goon Squad"

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Very brave in this online climate to name something, even as a placeholder, Project N.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Sachant posted:

that's it i'm sold

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Vomik posted:

some might say i'm a little hasty - but thinking about reaching and making sure we can reserve the name "Goon Squad"

I'll make the wiki

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Node posted:

I'll make the wiki

Thought everyone just used discord for that now.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Sachant posted:

I think it's a little more than that but not much. They have a guy who is/was pretty active in the EQ emulator coding scene and seems to actually know how an EQ server is made and runs. And the lead guy is a former EQ lead designer, admittedly from one of the worst periods in the game's lifetime, and was also some exec from some niche fantasy horse MMO (this is not a joke) that apparently made some amount of money.

which eq period was that? I would like to bet five zenny on "gates of discord"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

blatman posted:

which eq period was that? I would like to bet five zenny on "gates of discord"

I was going to say Omens, but Gates might be more accurate.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

PoP through Gates/Omens: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,67620/

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zil posted:

I was going to say Omens, but Gates might be more accurate.

Legacy of Yakesha was where I ultimately pulled the rip cord and bailed on EQ. I was a broke high school student and never was able to buy Lost Dungeons of Norrath, so I never really got to tool around with the augments or the instanced dungeons. By the time that I had money and was able to afford buying xpacs again, WoW was right around the corner and I pooled money for that.

Edit: I remember hearing my guildmates talking about the LDON and being really unimpressed with it, and their response to LoY was "But y tho?"

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Basically every expansion on his resume added something that made EQ more "gamey" and less like a D&D-inspired virtual world (which is what I originally liked and still like about classic-era EQ). And then WoW came along and did all of those things but more polished and then that was basically the end for EQ.

- Shadows of Luclin: SPACE CATS! FROM THE MOON! And ugly new character models, plus AAs*.
- Planes of Power: PoK books that let you teleport all over the world without getting help from a Druid/Wizard anymore. Traveling and talking to people is lame.
- Legacy of Ykesha: In-game GPS maps. Exploration is lame.
- Lost Dungeons of Norrath: Instanced linear dungeons. Camping and coming across other groups is lame.
- Omens/Gates: More of all of the above, most people gave up and jumped to WoW at this point.

So yeah, I'm not sold on this guy.

* AAs aren't awful necessarily but the game didn't really do anything to like, make them a part of the world or your character. Just whatever you did you got this bucket of points to add +1% to something or another. It felt super limp and lame and was very transparently just another grind treadmill.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
having played significantly on P1999 and now having played on other emu servers, I'd say I'm in the camp of liking AAs.

That said, I totally see where you're coming from - they're mostly baked in stat increases with a sprinkling of some really powerful new abilities. For example my warrior feels a lot more powerful with 30+ AAs invested on TAKP, but strictly because I have a lot of defensive AAs that made me take less damage and have more HP. He doesn't (yet) have any new abilities to really differentiate him. My wizard on TAKP feels overall better from having access to tools like nigh-instant group evac once an in-game day, plus the usual litany of stat increases like mana regen etc. Stuff like Dire Charm for NEC/DRU/ENC, Bard memblur, etc were all exceptionally useful tools methinks. But I suppose there's no reason it needed to be in an AA - they could've just as easily been spells or disciplines or whatever.

don't forget Luclin also added the Bazaar which seems universally hated by the P99 crowd.

I guess I like PoP era EQ, but maybe because I'm old now.

regarding the Project N guy I do like his videos with oldschool EQ devs. I feel like the Pantheon guys are kinda following the generic MMO template these days.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I like AAs because I have 57000 of them so now my Shadowknight is an unkillable demigod (this is roughly where you run out of AA to buy including stupid garbage ones, on live servers)

I have done nothing but no-healer groups for weeks

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Node posted:

I'll make the wiki

I have strong christian values and a big garage. I'll handle forums and modding.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

cmdrk posted:

don't forget Luclin also added the Bazaar which seems universally hated by the P99 crowd.

I guess I like PoP era EQ, but maybe because I'm old now.

Oh yeah I forgot the bazaar, and you're right I hate it!

I'm definitely a crusty P99 curmudgeon but I feel like EQ in that era was a virtual world first and a game second, and that was progressively lost as they added all of the things I mentioned to make it more gamey. P99 EQ looks like absolute butts (though some models have their charm), and yet it's still way more immersive for me because I need to know my way around without maps, need to talk to other people all the time to get stuff done, need to actually be afraid of dying, and so on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The bazaar was such a strange choice as people had already chosen their own trade areas. The normal folks did the EC tunnel but I heard some weirdos had theirs elsewhere.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 21, 2021

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Gfay was popular on some servers since there was a bank right there and it wasn't too hard for evils to get faction from killing orcs in Crushbone. Plus it had a wizard teleport right there and a druid teleport one zone over in BB. But yeah EC was a better pick. Very central, close to teleport circles and banks for everyone (except Iksar I guess).

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sachant posted:

Gfay was popular on some servers since there was a bank right there and it wasn't too hard for evils to get faction from killing orcs in Crushbone. Plus it had a wizard teleport right there and a druid teleport one zone over in BB. But yeah EC was a better pick. Very central, close to teleport circles and banks for everyone (except Iksar I guess).

If you were an Iksar SK, monk, or Necro (so, most Iksar) you could just run to the Freeport bank and feign death while you did your banking.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sachant posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the bazaar, and you're right I hate it!

I'm definitely a crusty P99 curmudgeon but I feel like EQ in that era was a virtual world first and a game second, and that was progressively lost as they added all of the things I mentioned to make it more gamey. P99 EQ looks like absolute butts (though some models have their charm), and yet it's still way more immersive for me because I need to know my way around without maps, need to talk to other people all the time to get stuff done, need to actually be afraid of dying, and so on.

what I've noticed about PoP is that, PoK for example, didn't really give you much access to Luclin, which is an interesting design choice as far as "shrinking the world" goes. Nexus, Shar Vahl (which is more of an escape route for cats than a destination for everyone else) or gently caress off. I could imagine, if there was some design there, to give people easy access to the old content of the old world - maybe exactly the kinda people who had fallen beyond on buying expacks and needed a little motivation :arghfist::10bux:

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 21, 2021

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

LuckyCat posted:

If you were an Iksar SK, monk, or Necro (so, most Iksar) you could just run to the Freeport bank and feign death while you did your banking.

Which is why North Freeport was the true best trade zone. Screw EC. Having a Bank actually in the Zone you are trading in is so much better. Evil races could easily go through the Sewers and trade no problem or easily get good faction in NFP by hitting Lucan D'Lere when they were killing him all the time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you aren't at EC tunnel you're a deranged psycho but North Freeport was the alternate I'd heard of.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Meanwhile I'm sure Pantheon will have an auction house as it marches into aggressively generic obscurity.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

cmdrk posted:

Meanwhile I'm sure Pantheon will have an auction house as it marches into aggressively generic obscurity.

pantheon will probably try to recapture our ec tunnel nostalgia by allowing you to access the auction house from your android phone (iphone support coming in a later patch) but for added convenience, you get a little bit of the cash shop currency required for auction house trades by logging in daily to collect your free spin on the Wheel of Chance!

please look forward to it (I have absolutely no optimism for this game being good or even being released)

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

cmdrk posted:

Oh yeah, almost certainly. They're well into "Classic WoW knockoff" territory rather than anything that might be even remotely controversial.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
poo poo on auction houses if you must, but having to sit around waiting for a buyer for hours is boring as hell.

At least let me offload my poo poo onto a vendor so I can get stuff sold while I go do something else.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I much prefer the way SWG did things. Terminals and vendor NPCs were cool. I think Gorgon might do that too? I think scriptable vendors would add to the world rather than detract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

It's more or less a solved problem on P99, or was at one point. Put up your listing for what you want to sell and go off and do your thing. If someone wants it they browse the listings, find yours, DM you and you meet somewhere, probably EC, face to face, to make the trade. Keeps all of the good part (player interaction) without the waiting around.