Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Pretty sure they said they fixed that in patch notes.

Anyone have some cool window designs for a relatively small house overlooking an ocean? My cliffside swamp house needs some decoration.

You can use the cross beams and half walls to make a nice centered diamond window. Stack the crosses on top of each other and put a half wall at the top and bottom, then a horizontal beam if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I cleared some forest around my base and planted this nice neat grove of firs to form a path and it looks like absolute poo poo. Maybe it's just the fir trees, their height is so varied making the line of trees completely haphazard. A straight line of trees at even intervals that are mismatched to hell.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Checklist before tackling bonemass.

1. Plenty of poison res potions for everyone.
2. Medium health potions for everyone.
3. Enough iron bars to make level 3 mace and shield. One person gets an AOE weapon to clear trash. We'll be in a mix of iron and troll leather gear.
4. Flatten out the area I'll be fighting him in so we can kite him around without worrying about leeches.

Is there anything else? I am not going to farm frost arrows.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

3. Enough iron bars to make level 3 mace and shield. One person gets an AOE weapon to clear trash. We'll be in a mix of iron and troll leather gear.
4. Flatten out the area I'll be fighting him in so we can kite him around without worrying about leeches.

Aside from good food for that tier, like Turnip/carrot soup, sausages, etc, that's pretty much it, yeah. Depending on how confident and/or close the altar is, you may want to setup a staging area with a portal for any potential corpse runs.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'd say you don't even need one person to have an AOE weapon since maces have nice wide swings anyway.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Frost Arrows are a nice to have if you've done any mountain exploration, and keep an extra chest of poison potions and food next to your bed for corpse runs. Otherwise, I think Bonemass isn't so bad with enough prep.

If you do have a portal near Bonemass, in our case he destroyed it immediately, so might be worth having one slightly outside your fighting area.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bioshuffle posted:

The only thing I'd add is a note to keep in mind at all times: the poison resist is imperative to keep up, but it will not allow you to survive standing in his AOE cloud. Getting out of that cloud is the #1 priority for all group members at all times. The damage ticks from standing in that will lay you low with or without the resist. Otherwise, you're in great shape. Whoever bonemass is currently facing can easily dodge or block his slow-rear end super-telegraphed attacks while everyone else can stand behind him and do blunt damage, which wrecks him in short order. There's no need for frost arrows, or any other ranged attacks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

Try lowering your expectations and maybe don't waste any time or resources flattening area around him unless it's super swampy and leechy. A single path immediately outside the geometry of his summoning altar is more than enough room to kite him forever, it's basically ring-around-the-rosie. With poison potion and iron mace, you've already won.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah I did Bonemass solo and it wasn't that hard, basically just don't stand in his attack animations (especially the poison cloud has a very large radius).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bioshuffle posted:

Yeah, get some stamina potions. Stamina regen in the swamp is bad, and you'll want to move around a bunch.

Ditch the AOE weapon idea, it's not worth it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Our first attempt at bonemass was a disaster, so before our second I went out and murdered an entire forest worth of deer in order to max out a stagbreaker. For whatever reason he didn't summon a single time and I never used it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I did Bonemass solo and it wasn't that hard, basically just don't stand in his attack animations (especially the poison cloud has a very large radius).

I stood in his cloud and got him down to about 10% before I melted when I fought him. I was in max tier iron gear. I missed two parries, too, or I might’ve pulled it off! He’s a big step up from the Elder, but he’s not really as durable as you might think from the horror stories of people fighting him with the wrong weapons.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I honestly found the Elder to be harder than Bonemass, and I didn't even have any health/stamina meads for Bonemass. Trying to stay on the move while dodging 8 greydwarves and putting 200 fire arrows into that colossal HP sponge was pretty stressful.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm not sure why people are putting so many fire arrows into the Elder: I brought 300 because of the warnings and it took 80 total, including misses and arrows inadvertently fired into greydwarves. Given how good the Finewood bow is compared to the crude bow, I maxed that poo poo out immediately.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
My map just randomly disappeared. Loading it just spawns a new world.

This is very sad. The new world is also weirdly hosed up - falling trees and rocks, forests half underwater.

I don't mind starting over to a certain extent, but like ten minutes after loading I got flatted by a multi-star troll abusing the fact that my shield kept not equipping and now he's camping my corpse.

Oh how quickly I went from being on top of the world to being back at square one.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

This is very sad. The new world is also weirdly hosed up - falling trees and rocks, forests half underwater.

I don't mind starting over to a certain extent, but like ten minutes after loading I got flatted by a multi-star troll abusing the fact that my shield kept not equipping and now he's camping my corpse.

Oh how quickly I went from being on top of the world to being back at square one.

Don't get your hopes up, but I think the game does a backup sometimes? Like isn't there .old files in the worlds folder?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colonel J posted:

Don't get your hopes up, but I think the game does a backup sometimes? Like isn't there .old files in the worlds folder?

Yeah but if I'm not mistaken those swap out every 20 minutes. I highly recommend periodic backups of the entire folder.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I think the hardest boss is the one you get complacent about and after that it's all over compensation.

I took around 60 wooden arrows to Elder because the fist boss died to maybe 30 and didn't hit me once, after that I over prepared for them and they were all easy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

I'm not sure why people are putting so many fire arrows into the Elder: I brought 300 because of the warnings and it took 80 total, including misses and arrows inadvertently fired into greydwarves. Given how good the Finewood bow is compared to the crude bow, I maxed that poo poo out immediately.

Number of players alters the HP of bosses

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

well if you decide to restart, note you can roll a new map and keep your original character

also 'Sigrun' is a pretty good seed to start with, although pretty much all seeds have pretty much all the things this one has large contiguous chunks of the first four very close to the spawn point. Sigrun is the Valkyrie whose name means 'Victory Rune' :black101:

https://valheim-map.world/?seed=Sigrun&offset=317%2C512&zoom=0.300&view=0&ver=0.148.6

e: it's also a very lumpy map with a lot of height variation even in Meadows biomes

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Colonel J posted:

Tried that first thing. Reverting to that just regenned a new version of the new weird world. It was very odd, honestly.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
is there a goon server that y'all are playing on? Any desire for a fresh start server?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There is, although I'm not sure how much longer it's going to go. When it exhausts itself I was thinking I might start up my own server with a standardized set of mods.

Speaking of mods, what are people using?

These are the ones I have right now (though I don't use half of them on the current goon server):
Plant Everything - Let's you plant berry bushes and other gatherables, although they take quite a while to pay for themselves under default settings. Most importantly, it lets you scale the size of the trees you plant, letting people build giant-tree treehouses.
Craft From Containers - Automatically pull from nearby containers (chests and carts) when crafting and refueling
Snap Points Made Easy - Allows you to take manual control over which snap points are used when building.
Overhead Axe Swing - Adds a secondary attack to the axe, a "vertical chop". Really nice for removing stumps and splitting thin logs that would otherwise slip under your horizontal swing.
MapSync - Allows you to share your map and pins with other nearby players with the press of a button.
BiggerBoatMapExploreRadius - Increases the minimap reveal radius when handling a boat, removing the need to hug the coast if you want to "remember" biomes.
[s]Sailing Skill[/b] - Adds a new skill that lets you to make better use of the wind to move faster, in addition to being able to row faster. At max level, by default, this gives you a speed boost of about 50%, so not a huge change, I just like making numbers-go-up.
Fortify Skills - Each skill has an additional "fortification" value that slowly increases over time to the level of the skill, and dying means you lose the skill down to the fortification level. Sometimes this is worse than the default behaviour, especially for your "best" skills, but it means your slowest growing skills will still slowly improve over time instead of getting stuck at 10 or whatever.

And these are the ones I'd be using on a new server, I think:
Some of the above ones
ModConfig enforcer - let's you set the client side mod configs from the server
OdinFlight - Make end-game wings. Using them effectively requires you to travel pretty light, but it's honestly just really fun.
Valheim Plus - since it lets you control a good deal of the above without needing the additional mods, although most of what it can do won't be done
- Some mods to add additional skills like Cooking and Wagon-use that will provide more reasons to specialize.
- The mods that let you build smaller wood/stone walls
- The mod that lets you change skill growth rate for each individual skill
Sailing Overhaul - Adds variable wind speeds to the game, meaning sailing during a storm can be very fast! Dangerously fast.
- Various taming improvements, like the ability to name tamed mobs and strap the wagon to them maybe
Better Ladders - Allows you to smoothly move up ladders instead of the weird jerky half-jumps
- Some mods to tweak enemy variety and boss difficulty
- Y-angle attack control to let you (and mobs) attack up and down slopes
- RRR mods to add new enemies and improve raids

and probably a number of others as well, plus some non-public changes I might make myself if I can get visual studio to properly compile this poo poo. Will package a nice zip of all the mods so people can just drop them in and then let ModConfig handle all the configuration, see if anyone is interested. I will also plant some giant trees to find around the world prior to opening it up.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 22, 2021

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Flesh Forge posted:

well if you decide to restart, note you can roll a new map and keep your original character

also 'Sigrun' is a pretty good seed to start with, although pretty much all seeds have pretty much all the things this one has large contiguous chunks of the first four very close to the spawn point. Sigrun is the Valkyrie whose name means 'Victory Rune' :black101:

https://valheim-map.world/?seed=Sigrun&offset=317%2C512&zoom=0.300&view=0&ver=0.148.6

e: it's also a very lumpy map with a lot of height variation even in Meadows biomes

Wish I had known this sooner, my starter world put me on an island with the first boss and an extremely small Black Forest biome. Super disgruntled to find out I set up shop on the wrong side as well, and spent 20minutes sailing against the wind to the second boss island.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

having had a rather dinky starting map myself, probably the biggest criticism I have of the vanilla game is the biome/critical content distribution (e.g. crypts) needs to be a little less totally random, some minimum thresholds for things would be good. I'm all for the game requiring you to explore - obviously that's a big part of the game - but when you have to spend several hours fruitlessly sailing around looking for your next chunk of content that's not a really good user experience.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Heffer posted:

Here's a visual guide. You can see how you trade horizontal width for vertical width with ironwood, and how you can go 8 high with stone but only 1 or 2 wide because it has low horizontal support.

I guess the question I have for this picture is if that is the furthest you can extend stone horizontally no matter what?

If I’m reading that link properly stone needs to be supported by something that is providing a minimum of 100 stability and anything lower will cause the stone to collapse. Ironwood provides 1500 stability if attached to ground and loses 1/13 of max? stability for every 1 meter horizontal section not attached to ground. So if I build out two 12 meter long rows of ironwood the 12th beams will be providing 115 stability or just enough to support a stone floor? Math being 1500 - (1500*(12/13)).

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I hear people talking about how tough aiming the axe to remove stumps is. Friendly reminder that you can use a pickaxe to remove stumps.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Floppychop posted:

I hear people talking about how tough aiming the axe to remove stumps is. Friendly reminder that you can use a pickaxe to remove stumps.

TIL

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Heffer posted:

Here's a visual guide. You can see how you trade horizontal width for vertical width with ironwood, and how you can go 8 high with stone but only 1 or 2 wide because it has low horizontal support.

You can boost the hell out of height capabilities by starting with this from the top of a tree.

Also ironwood beams as a frame can support stone to allow it to go significantly higher than on its own, especially building off a tree as a support core.

This is a photo of my big rear end tower before I built the house on top and you can get a sense of just how far you can push stone vertically.

There are several horizontal iron wood beams inside of this coming off the tree that kept adding a small amount of support to the vertical beams coming from the ground allowing the iron wood frame to keep adding more and more support to the stone.

If I remember my count correctly, I got it to go 25 stone columns up with this method.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You really don't want to though. Is it possible? Yeah. Is it pleasant? No.

AccountSupervisor posted:

You can boost the hell out of height capabilities by starting with this from the top of a tree.

Maximum height can be reached by raising a pillar of ground as high as it will go, planting a pine tree on top, and then building on top of that. Combine it with a proper material progression and you can do some amazingly tall structures.

Although obviously the easier way to do it is just to make the tree a giant one.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 22, 2021

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

There's also the Slope Combat Fix mod which will fix hitting those stumps as well as attacking enemies up and down hill.

If I were going to play on a server again, I'm a big fan of AnyPortal and ServerSideMap that have to be installed in the server's plugins. AnyPortal puts a dropdown list in the portal's window for setting its tag that lets you choose any other portal as its destination without changing tags. It really removes the need for a massive portal hub and lets me have just one portal in my base or is way easier than changing a portal's tag to wherever you want to go and keeping a written list of tags somewhere. ServerSideMap stores every player's exploration on the server and automatically shares all exploration with anyone running the mod. Both do keep anyone from hiding from other players though. Players that want to hide could just not build portals and not run ServerSideMap.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
When I get home I'll post a picture of the base of the Cookery I'm building atop a giant tree in the Goon server, it's a circle of stone 10 blocks wide supported by Ironwood supports running directly to the tree on 3 sides. There's an Ironwood grid inside the stone to hold it all up (every stone floor is supported on 2 sides) but a 10 wide circular platform is really pretty massive to be able to build in the air and it's not even the biggest I could have made it.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned: https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/LottieVixen/Build_Near_Locations/

I love this mod for one simple reason, and it's because of my new portal hub:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I learned it while getting frustrated at a stump and decide to dig next to it to get an angle. Pickaxe hit the stump and I saw a damage number so I just kept swinging.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lozareth posted:

There's also the Slope Combat Fix mod which will fix hitting those stumps as well as attacking enemies up and down hill.

This has been bugging me for a while, thanks.

e: mod that lets animals eat from boxes

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/985

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 22, 2021

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I feel like Bonemass fight was almost perfectly balanced for four people. The four of us were able to take him down in one go. Each of us had some dicey patches in the fight where we came close to death, but we had enough medium healing potions to run away and recover while the others kept damaging him.

I can't imagine trying to do that with less than four people, though.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

A friend and I did it (two players total)

Iron armor, maces, and shields, then eat good food and have a poison resist rolling with health and stamina pots on your quickbar.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

I feel like Bonemass fight was almost perfectly balanced for four people. The four of us were able to take him down in one go. Each of us had some dicey patches in the fight where we came close to death, but we had enough medium healing potions to run away and recover while the others kept damaging him.

I did it solo and it was about like this except I just ran away for a while, it's not like he heals so as long as you're careful he will eventually die :shrug:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

enemies scale depending on your number of players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
If you really, really want to cheese Bonemass you can do it the same way you can cheese most mobs, by taking advantage of the fact that they can't fire up.

Just Raise Ground a spire in the middle of a field near his spawn, then build a platform on top (2 meters above the spire top) with stairs to reach it. Kite him to the platform, climb on top, and shoot him with whatever arrows until he dies. he'll just sit at the bottom of the spire, uselessly attacking it and dumping poison on the ground around him. The 2 meters is because occasionally he can dump poison on the top of the spire, but keeping above the cloud will keep you out of it.

This will most likely be patched at some point, but for now it's an easy way to kill him and the same formation works for Eikthyr, Trolls and Stone Golems, basically any mob without a ranged attack, because nonplayer mobs can't deform the ground.