Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The cashier is wearing a mask. So there IS DEFINITELY CONFIRMED COVID-19 in Luann. Yet none of these fuckers wear masks or distance or anything.

I've said it before, but I really feel like it's all or nothing as far as acknowledging the pandemic in your strip. Be like, yep, it's here, and our characters will be going through it too, or be like, nope, in this imaginary world there is no pandemic. Putting in hints that there is a pandemic, but having the characters lives and behaviors be otherwise unchanged like a bunch of anti-mask fuckfaces pisses me right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lone Wet Rebels?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

duz posted:

Lone Wet Rebels?

NOT WEEB SELLER

*In Bandar Tongue*

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oh, and I checked. This is the last time we see Bets and Tiff talk about planning the event before the actual dinner:

So Tiff never said she was doing the pirate thing. She explicitly said she wasn't doing it and then Bets said yes she was and... then I guess Bets just left? Without another word?

Of course, in real life that third panel would not be the end of the conversation, especially with $300 (minus expenses) riding on this. This is Luann, though, so I guess it's more important that Bets and Tiff be harpies.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

Good old Bill Holbrook...yes, sir! Throwing a completely legitimate ethical question out there only to heavy-handedly make it clear that only one side is right, not due to the merits of their argument, but because the people on the other side are morally deficient in some unrelated way. Good old Bill Holbrook...how I hate him!

Didn't Lindisfarne stop her research because she was afraid that employers would use it to discriminate against domesticated employees and that any "cure" for domestication would result in completely changing someone's personality (which is a whole ethical quandary in itself)?

Not saying it isn't heavy-handed or poorly written, but Lindisfarne does have some legit points for keeping the research secret.

Not looking forward to the "Sluggo has depression" storyline.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's yesterday's Mark Trail

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Whole lotta sleep disorders in the comics lately.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm glad y'all like Jucika, it fills me with joy to contribute to the thread. It really is a top notch cartoon that has the one-two punch of cheesecake and humor. I think there's maybe 2-5 strips overall that don't immediately get a chuckle out of me. It's also impressive that for a strip running from 1957-1970 how many times the punchline can be transferred to a modern strip and portray Jucika as a kickass lady.

What have I done to deserve to be publically shamed like this?

Really happy to see classic Zits posted. The modern Zits is pretty decent of course but I'm always impressed and amused by how hard beginning cartoonists seem to strive to establish good quality and that starting audience. These caricatures and the tie-in to the joke is :kiss:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CommonShore posted:

No, it's just a Groundhog Day plot centered on 4/20 now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

duz posted:

Lone Wet Rebels?

Tense Rebel Owl. :ohdear:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Didn't Lindisfarne stop her research because she was afraid that employers would use it to discriminate against domesticated employees and that any "cure" for domestication would result in completely changing someone's personality (which is a whole ethical quandary in itself)?

Not saying it isn't heavy-handed or poorly written, but Lindisfarne does have some legit points for keeping the research secret.

Lindsfarne probably only cares about the personality change because of personal convenience. Rudy is a little poo poo and her and Fiona actively take advantage of his domestication to exert control over him.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

CommonShore posted:

You're right, sorry! Thanks!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Labcoat and sandals is definitely a look that makes me think a thing about you

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Oh hey, a physicist."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Physicists don't wear lab coats. Those are for lesser people in wet labs.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 20, 1933)

Peanuts (April 24, 1974)

Funky COVIDbean

COVIDshaft

Mutt and Flu Season

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 20, 1937)

Out Our Way (June 29-July 1, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (July 2-4, 1917)

Dok's "Huerta Hell Do You Think You're Going?" Duck (July 29, 1913)

The Kid's dropping in a few months after the Ten Tragic Days, during which the US Ambassador played a part in the coup against (and post-overthrow assassination of) Mexican President Francisco Madero. So yeah, they might have a good reason to have issues with unannounced Yankees showing up.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Johnny Walker posted:

Oh look, a representation of HELL

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Got today's comics using Powered Descent's scripts! First time I've ever used Ubuntu and Powered Descent's instructions really helped!

The bad news is that that PD's scripts only give you the current day's comics, and the imgur uploader extension I was using got shut off for malware, so until there's a new way for me to do that, if I miss a day, I guess we just don't get comics for that day?

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I would definitely buy this

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

goatface posted:

Physicists don't wear lab coats. Those are for lesser people in wet labs.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Vargo posted:

Got today's comics using Powered Descent's scripts! First time I've ever used Ubuntu and Powered Descent's instructions really helped!

The bad news is that that PD's scripts only give you the current day's comics, and the imgur uploader extension I was using got shut off for malware, so until there's a new way for me to do that, if I miss a day, I guess we just don't get comics for that day?

hmm there's three things i got for this, a) there's another imgur uploader extension on the chrome store, i got hit by this too, and firefox's is still fine; b) the script shouldn't necessitate you using your own imgur uploader? it should upload on its own and give you a feed with it all like this nvm i misread this bit entirely, here's the link to the imgur uploader im using

c) you can edit the script's
code:
DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d`
to read whatever date you want, to get comics from that day, like
code:
DATE='6969-04-20'

riderchop fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 21, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

:tipshat:

Vargo posted:

That's very easy to do, by temporarily editing the script. Near the top of each script it sets the DATE variable (and the DATESLASH variable for the gocomics script.) Comment those lines out (that is, put a # character at the front of the line, so that it'll be ignored when the script is run) and put in new lines that look like this, setting the variables directly:
code:
DATE='2021-04-20'
DATESLASH='2021/04/20'
(The DATESLASH is only needed on the gocomics one.) Run the script again and it'll get your comics for that date instead of for today. Just don't forget to put it back to normal when you're done!

e: Beaten to it. I'll make coders out of all of you yet! :)

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

SLUGGO IS UNLIT

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (November 20, 1952)
Boys who cry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcohEgpJc6I&t=7s

B Kliban

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

where can i order this shirt?

Nekonaughey

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

This man is a Pokemon villain

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Medenmath posted:

This man is a Pokemon villain

Bug type gym leader.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is a big ol' OOF from me.

Working Daze is making the grey hair a thing too I guess.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix explains the YouTube Kids algorithm, or at least my understanding of it.

Cul De Sac will take that as a complement.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

the continuing adventures of Dustin's Undiagnosed Narcolepsy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like how normal Dill's dad looks. You almost expect like a biker dude.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (November 21, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 22, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 23, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 7, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 7, 1935)

Mopsy (January 7, 1937)

Dark Laughter (March 31, 1945)

Those Were the Days (November 27, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (July 28, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 28, 1965)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Slammy posted:

Dinky Fellas (July 28, 1965)

ha, oh man

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Kevin did you refuse to extend an old Romani woman's mortgage or something? Jeez, dude.

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 28-29, 1952)

Old... sock? :confused:

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 20-23, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vargo posted:

I skip comics all the time because I read the thread in a haphazard way to simulate the newspaper experience. And I get the impression I'm not the only one, given that it often takes people a bit to notice if a comic wasn't posted.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (November 7, 1935)

Huh. We're only just now getting to a part of Oaky Doaks I don't vaguely remember. I'm positive someone used to post this and stopped shortly before this point but search isn't giving me anything. Apparently noone ever referred to the comic by name despite the title being perfectly prominent in scanned images.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Kevin did you refuse to extend an old Romani woman's mortgage or something? Jeez, dude.

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

If you follow "crabgrasscomic" on Instagram, Tauhid has put together all these strips in the "Kevin's Bad Day" folder, and clicking through them quickly gives kind of a neat effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Saoshyant posted:

Judy-Ann leaving could potentially start a new plot and--

Nevermind, it all got sorted out in just one page. These guys and their lawyer never show up again to the best of my knowledge either.

I have the strange feeling that part of this story was based on Stan Lee's personal experiences.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats