Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

oldskool posted:

I'm curious as to the source of these "Tasers are unreliable/not useful in these situations" arguments, because it seems to me tasers wouldn't be issued at all if they are rendered inert by their target being overly angry or wearing clothing.

That said, this was an absolute tragedy. The shooter should not have pulled his gun; he probably saved that girl in pink's life, but he also endangered it by firing in her direction.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/27/7299...ts%20marketing.

in field reliability experience ranges from 57 -> 80%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think it very likely the lady in pink made the victim, the child shooting victim, fear for her life and safety over the hour between when the victim called the police for help and when the police came and killed her. But the lady in pink picked up a small dog so clearly she's just an innocent victim

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Harold Fjord posted:

Murder has a pretty specific meaning that probably doesn't apply to a child who was being threatened and everyone is real quick to decide, based on video released by the cops to protect themselves, that she wasn't actually threatened but was the aggressor and had it coming because she was about to become a violent murderess. Please forgive my skepticism

There’s a difference between skepticism and being willfully obtuse.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I think in some states you can’t taze an underage person because it could harm their development so I’m wondering if that’s why the cop pulled out his gun instead. Which seems so stupid that you can’t taze a child but you can shoot them with a gun.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
So what I’ve gathered from this thread is goons overwhelmingly believe that cop should have watched a little girl get stabbed to death first before he tried to help.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Harold Fjord posted:

I think it very likely the lady in pink made the victim, the child shooting victim, fear for her life and safety over the hour between when the victim called the police for help and when the police came and killed her. But the lady in pink picked up a small dog so clearly she's just an innocent victim

So, do you think the person in pink was an immediate threat to Bryant leading up to the shooting? Do you think that Bryant would have gotten attacked by her if Bryant didn't run over to her in the seconds leading up to the shooting?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Harold Fjord posted:

This is a very very bad-faith interpretation of what people are claiming.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah and it keeps trotted out repeatedly. Cops are lovely no doubt, but they have no duty towards an individual, same as fire service doesn’t. It’s a misreading of the court case, and basically every country has the same standard to the police.

What court case are we talking about here? Castle Rock v Gonzalez?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cage Kicker posted:

So what I’ve gathered from this thread is goons overwhelmingly believe that cop should have watched a little girl get stabbed to death first before he tried to help.

overwelmingly would be if most goons believed that. most don't.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Cage Kicker posted:

Thinking that shooting was the wrong call doesn't mean that they think the cop should have just watched the girl get stabbed. Only one poster (maybe two?) made that argument.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Kalit posted:

It would be helpful if you described what you saw happen in the body cam video, preferably step by step. If you do this, along with possible reasons for who in the video was reacting in what way (e.g. someone doing something off camera, what happened beforehand, other viewpoints that this video does not capture, etc), I think that would help out others, including myself, see your point of view a little bit better.

They are probably the kind of poster that thinks cops should have super powers and be able to act perfectly in this and all other situations by stopping people getting hurt without hurting anyone... and make all these amazing assertions whilst being too scared to even watch the video, never mind be in the situation them selves.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
stop strawmanning other goons

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
yeah. i think the whole situation is just lovely and depressing. it sounds like dispatch hosed this up and basicaly reported only one of the calls to the cop, so he doesn't really know the situation on the ground and basicaly acts to what he sees. sure you can say its justified and such but its still shows how loving depressing our police system is with its training.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's justified within the narrow frame of the situation that police created for it, which is all that some people need to just write off the entire question of police abolition as unwarranted and police as basically fine, which is the motivation behind a lot of strident insistence that police in a certain case acted justifiably and did "good" in the sense of potentially saving somebody etc.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

ryde posted:

Thinking that shooting was the wrong call doesn't mean that they think the cop should have just watched the girl get stabbed. Only one poster (maybe two?) made that argument.

The alternatives being suggested result in it being much much more likely that the victim of the attacker gets killed.

I don’t know much about American cops firearms training, but people are saying that his shooting was dangerous. I think by virtue of the outcome, it’s clear the guys got skill with a firearm at that distance, and saying he “could” of hit an innocent person is countered by the simple fact he didn’t, and that he saved the other girls life.

I’m not seeing how, given the situation the cop was in, he could of acted any differently to ensure the safety of the girl that was split seconds away from being stabbed by the poor girl that was ultimately killed to prevent her killing someone.

The lead up to that cop being in that situation rightly needs massive overhaul, no 15 year old should be attempting to stab people whilst their carers watch and attempt to kick girls who are on the floor in the head after she’s attacked them with a knife.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the failure of the cops here was not the individual on the scene but all the failures that led to that being the situation by the time they finally got there. Looking at the snapshot context of what happened in the video ignores the broader problems we should address which is that it took them far too long to respond and let the situation devolve to the point someone was going to die.

That failure is absolutely 100% on the cops and emergency services. They ended up murdering a teenager because they waited until this situation was at a breaking point before bothering to show up.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I have a question. It doesn't relate to the facts, but to the steps involved in evaluating the cops actions.

Who is ultimately responsible for deciding after the fact whether the cops actions were justified? They should be held to the exact standard as a civilian in this case. Is it the local prosecutor that decides?

Seems appropriate that no one involved in the state that administered the force should be able to.

A civilian board should be drawn up as a jury and be made to make the choice whether that force was justified, in the case of any action resulting in death or the use of recognized deadly force.

Would some goon local to this most recent event more versed in the matters explain the legalese involved in what happens when a cop kills somebody?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

BlueBlazer posted:

I have a question. It doesn't relate to the facts, but to the steps involved in evaluating the cops actions.

Who is ultimately responsible for deciding after the fact whether the cops actions were justified? They should be held to the exact standard as a civilian in this case. Is it the local prosecutor that decides?

Seems appropriate that no one involved in the state that administered the force should be able to.

A civilian board should be drawn up as a jury and be made to make the choice whether that force was justified, in the case of any action resulting in death or the use of recognized deadly force.

Would some goon local to this most recent event more versed in the matters explain the legalese involved in what happens when a cop kills somebody?

The cop expresses fear for their own life or the life of someone else and they are legally covered.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So do we know what tattoos were under that sleeve? I'm still expecting something that's going to make anyone defending this real embaressed.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

quote:

I don’t know much about American cops firearms training, but people are saying that his shooting was dangerous. I think by virtue of the outcome, it’s clear the guys got skill with a firearm at that distance, and saying he “could” of hit an innocent person is countered by the simple fact he didn’t, and that he saved the other girls life.
Maybe this one specific cop has good enough aim that he gets it right 100% of the time. Now put 99 other cops in that exact same situation, how many of them will get it right? What should the departmental policy be when the numbers show they hit their intended target less than half the time?

Edit: Also, "by virtue of the outcome" is a pretty weird way to make an argument. I bought a lottery ticket and won $100, by virtue of the outcome I should continue to buy more lottery tickets.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 21, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

willie_dee posted:

The alternatives being suggested result in it being much much more likely that the victim of the attacker gets killed.

I've said this before, but I think the cop could have grabbed Bryant while she was running by him to the person she was going to stab. If he would have grabbed her and pinned her arms to her side, I think it would have been safe for both the officer and her. Instead, he took that time to draw his gun. Which, like I said before, was probably instinct due to training. However, I think that grabbing her safely would have been possible in this same context.

When you replied to me the last time I said this, you said it requires thinking. But so does drawing a gun. It's about discipline and training. Drawing a gun is second nature to police officers. Alternatives to drawing a gun should be second nature and prioritized over that.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 21, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This should be approached more like an air accident investigation than anything else. What we know is that a girl is dead. That's not good. Given this situation is bad, but there's no obvious singular mistake as there was in the Chauvin case, it's more reasonable to approach this in terms of "without assigning blame to anyone necessarily, how do we make sure this stops happening?"

The fact that it really, really looked like the victim was about to stab someone probably means that there was no actual criminal action on the part of the cop. But that doesn't mean it was a good outcome to the situation, and we need to investigate the entire sequence of events, because obviously a situation that ends up with someone dead is no good. Even if the cop was 100% justified in taking that shot, at the moment he took it, there was a 16-year-old girl killed as a result, and we need to take a good look at how we can best prevent that from happening in the future.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

NoDamage posted:

This is hindsight bias and you have no way of knowing that.

I'm not questioning his shooting ability, I'm questioning the departmental/training policy of reaching for a gun instead of a taser in situations where there are innocent bystanders nearby when we already know statistically police rarely hit their intended targets.

You can't use statistical aggregates to judge individual situations. Yes, there is 100% hindsight bias at play here, but we really don't have much else to go on. The reality of a situation like this when personal ability is the deciding factor and it's not obviously wrong is we're usually left to decide the correctness of the decision based on whether they were able to perform the action they bet on being able to perform. This is especially the case when the alternative choice is letting someone get stabbed. Based on the freeze-frame of the body cam when the shots were fired it was a reasonable shot for a reasonably proficient shooter to take given the circumstances. At the moment he fires there is a clear sight picture and functionally no more time before a potentially lethal attack on the girl in pink.

Trying to employ a taser in that situation is not remotely realistic or appropriate.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Jarmak posted:

You can't use statistical aggregates to judge individual situations.
Why not? I'm not judging this individual situation so much as questioning whether we should be training cops to immediately reach for their guns when there are innocent bystanders close by, compared to less lethal alternatives.

quote:

Trying to employ a taser in that situation is not remotely realistic or appropriate.
Why not?

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 21, 2021

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gumball Gumption posted:

So do we know what tattoos were under that sleeve? I'm still expecting something that's going to make anyone defending this real embaressed.

"I oh so desperately want this tragedy involving a dead child to play out in a way that lets me feel superior to my fellow internet posters."

Go gently caress yourself.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm not sure why that'd make anyone embarrassed. No-one is arguing that the cop here is a good guy. There's maybe one poster that was questioning if they're a racist.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I believe that cops should not be able to able to dispense extrajudicial executions, even if it occasionally saves lives in general, and (possibly) saved a life in this specific situation. I would say that defending this as a "good shoot" is a slippery slope that will lead to more cop killings in more ambiguous circumstances, but we're already at the bottom of that slope. The idea that we need cops to kill all the scary bad guys is (part of) how we got here.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Kalit posted:

I've said this before, but I think the cop could have grabbed Bryant while she was running by him to the person she was going to stab. If he would have grabbed her and pinned her arms to her side, I think it would have been safe for both the officer and her. Instead, he took that time to draw his gun. Which, like I said before, was probably instinct due to training. However, I think that grabbing her safely would have been possible in this same context.

When you replied to me the last time I said this, you said it requires thinking. But so does drawing a gun. It's about discipline and training. Drawing a gun is second nature to police officers. Alternatives to drawing a gun should be second nature and prioritized over that.

No one should ever be grabbing someone with a knife, this is utterly moronic and the exact opposite of what every police force around the world trains it’s officers to do. Please for the love of your own safety, do not ever attempt to physically restrain someone who is wielding a knife.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I believe that cops should not be able to able to dispense extrajudicial executions, even if it occasionally saves lives in general, and (possibly) saved a life in this specific situation. I would say that defending this as a "good shoot" is a slippery slope that will lead to more cop killings in more ambiguous circumstances, but we're already at the bottom of that slope. The idea that we need cops to kill all the scary bad guys is (part of) how we got here.

So you are one the people who thinks cops should let people kill other people?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

willie_dee posted:

So you are one the people who thinks cops should let people kill other people?

No, I think that cops shouldn't be able to kill people. "Cops should let people kill other people" implies that they should do nothing at all.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The cop should have used verbal commands while he watched someone be murdered with a knife

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pepper spray and batons are on their belts. She had a knife.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm.sorry for just kramering in.

Has it been addressed here or elsewhere what the chances are on an appeal on the Chauvin conviction? Will the conviction be safe?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gumball Gumption posted:

The thing is it doesn’t really matter, this could have been the most racist cop in the history of racist cops who was just creaming his pants at the chance to shoot a minority and yet his immediate actions in the video were not unreasonable because the girl was literally (LITERALLY) in the act of trying to stab the poo poo out of someone.

Everything that led to that point is lovely and hosed up and awful, and burn garbage police departments to the ground and rebuild them from scratch with a totally different culture and mission, but this is a stupid hill to die on for that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

So are you saying that it would have been better for the other girl to die instead of the assailant, yes?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So are you saying that it would have been better for the other girl to die instead of the assailant, yes?

No, I'm saying that the cop should not have killed the assailant.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

NoDamage posted:

Why not? I'm not judging this individual situation so much as questioning whether we should be training cops to immediately reach for their guns when there are innocent bystanders close by, compared to less lethal alternatives.

Why not?

This has been addressed within the last few pages multiple times, including with sourced statistics. Tasers are not reliable enough to be used as a response to imminent deadly force, especially when that deadly force is directed at a third party. They're not accurate, the barbs don't always penetrate clothing, the barbs sometimes don't penetrate clothing/penetrate enough to get the full effect, the physiological effect can vary by quite a bit from person to person based on a ton of factors, and if you have any of these problems you/the 3rd party is dead because you only get one shot.

Tasers are part of the use of force continuum before lethal force, they are not a replacement for lethal force. It's not appropriate to use them in response to lethal force when there is no time to escalate to a lethal response if they fail.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

The thing is it doesn’t really matter, this could have been the most racist cop in the history of racist cops who was just creaming his pants at the chance to shoot a minority and yet his immediate actions in the video were not unreasonable because the girl was literally (LITERALLY) in the act of trying to stab the poo poo out of someone.

Everything that led to that point is lovely and hosed up and awful, and burn garbage police departments to the ground and rebuild them from scratch with a totally different culture and mission, but this is a stupid hill to die on for that.

You're infected with American cowboy logic if you think that was the proper way to stop her. He has pepper spray, he has a tazer, and he has a baton. He had many non-lethal options. Everything points to this being a dude looking for an excuse and he's being given one.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

oldskool posted:

I'm curious as to the source of these "Tasers are unreliable/not useful in these situations" arguments, because it seems to me tasers wouldn't be issued at all if they are rendered inert by their target being overly angry or wearing clothing.

When it works it really works.

Active self protection @ 8:10 tasering guy who just stabbed the police officer. Luckily no one dies.

But if it doesn't work people can be in lethal situations.

Active self protection tasering guy who was reported to be menacing people with a knife @1:38 NSFW guy gets shot and I think killed

Tasered guy rolled off the taser prongs and managed to hold the female cop at knife point.

Tasers are at least better than what was available before which was baton or gun. Now there is another less lethal tool available so cops don't have to go up to gun straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm.sorry for just kramering in.

Has it been addressed here or elsewhere what the chances are on an appeal on the Chauvin conviction? Will the conviction be safe?

There's been a few lawyer types on Twitter, including Popehat, who say that his chances are "LOLno".