Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do hope if that was the case that they would pace it better than the first compilation film. It has such a weak ending by introducing Ramba Ral and doing Amuro's mother before finishing. End it with the fight in Seattle/New York or wherever they decide to kill Garma and flesh out the stop at Luna II a bit more to smooth things over. And introduce Garma earlier in the film so he's a more present secondary antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If Garma was on the Musai from the very beginning, having his death in the climactic battle would work pretty well. And if they did it right and got actors for them that had really good chemistry, it would make Char's betrayal even more mindblowing for people unfamiliar with the story

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ending the film with garma getting owned is not a bad place to end it, especially since it means if you made a sequel you could start it at the top with garma’s funeral to introduce the audience to the rest of the zabis in one go.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gripweed posted:

If Garma was on the Musai from the very beginning, having his death in the climactic battle would work pretty well. And if they did it right and got actors for them that had really good chemistry, it would make Char's betrayal even more mindblowing for people unfamiliar with the story

That betrayal would be very sweet if you can land the setup notes right. Plus it would be a great hook to lead into a sequel...one of the villains has his own agenda, is he good or bad? If you aren't familiar with the property that would be a really good thing to float at the end of an opening act film.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do hope if that was the case that they would pace it better than the first compilation film. It has such a weak ending by introducing Ramba Ral and doing Amuro's mother before finishing. End it with the fight in Seattle/New York or wherever they decide to kill Garma and flesh out the stop at Luna II a bit more to smooth things over. And introduce Garma earlier in the film so he's a more present secondary antagonist.

I really do feel bad about talking so much about something I only saw as loose rumor with "I know a guy, seriously" sources, but what I saw said they were going with Garma pursuing the White Base from the beginning, with Char as his sidekick. The twist was, supposedly, that the viewer would see Char's suspicious plotting, but it would align with the Sayla-side part of the narrative to build an impression that Char was an EF deep cover operative. The reveal wouldn't just be that Char betrayed Garma, but that he was on his own side all along, screwing over everyone in pursuit of revenge.

Supposedly, the Guntank and Guncannon would also be cut in the interests of keeping the Gundam feeling more special, and the main conflict on the White Base would be Bright and Amuro butting heads, which makes sense.

Again, I have no concrete sources, and if we'd gotten more news, I probably wouldn't be passing along this kind of hearsay, but... it's what I got.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that sounds far too reasonable and coherent to be true.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

let's not kid ourselves, the chances of live-action Guntank were never that great.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I can live without the guntank but kai not getting time in the guncannon would be a bummer

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Give me Guntank or give me death.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

But will haro be in it

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
As someone who watched mobile suit gundam for the first time this year, if there’s going to be a live action msg, there needs to be all the silly mobile suits. The gundam needs to be goofy, they need to keep all of the names silly, the mobile suits should move like people like in the show, etc. I feel like I don’t really get to do the “if this adaption isn’t perfect I hate it” thing that often so I really want to take advantage of this opportunity. Also I really like the silly parts of gundam.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The silly parts of gundam are absolutely the parts with the highest certainty of getting axed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ramadu posted:

But will haro be in it

I would assume so. Probably not a major role, probably not bouncing around the White Base. But I'd bet at the very least if we get a scene of slacker Amuro before the attack Haro will be in it

hostess with the Moltres posted:

As someone who watched mobile suit gundam for the first time this year, if there’s going to be a live action msg, there needs to be all the silly mobile suits. The gundam needs to be goofy, they need to keep all of the names silly, the mobile suits should move like people like in the show, etc. I feel like I don’t really get to do the “if this adaption isn’t perfect I hate it” thing that often so I really want to take advantage of this opportunity. Also I really like the silly parts of gundam.

MSG names weren't really that silly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

The silly parts of gundam are absolutely the parts with the highest certainty of getting axed

Yeah, when something started getting trimmed in the 80s films, it's not surviving to a big budget American adaptation.

Can't say I'm that sad, either. Nothing against the goofiness, but the original was trying to tell a serious story while dealing with the sponsor requirements that came from selling kid's toys. It was an organic process. Trying to force it would just make everything worse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gimme the Origin redesign of the Guntank.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I hope Bright tries to cancel the apocalypse.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Inevitably, Sayla and Fraw will be folded into one character, because every Gundam Adaption tries to do it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sally Mass and Fran Bowen under the command of Noah Bright.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Onmi posted:

Inevitably, Sayla and Fraw will be folded into one character, because every Gundam Adaption tries to do it.

I can't imagine they'll cut one of the two only female characters who remain prominent throughout the entire story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
see, you are working off normal logic. live action adaptations have no relation to such notions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It'll be the orphans who get cut. We'll probably only see them with the refugees if they even keep them on.

0079 has a really big cast but Kill Em All Tomino means few overstay their welcome. Even Mirai and Ryu could stick around though I'd easily see them ditching Sleggar Law.

I just want to hear the soundtrack with a full orchestra. The Symphonic Poem and the 30th anniversary soundtracks by the Tokyo and London Philharmonic orchestras are stunning but nobody has heard them.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 22, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

see, you are working off normal logic. live action adaptations have no relation to such notions.

good

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my prediction there will be a part in the trailer where the music is like ddddddddddddddddrrrrr drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If it’s an it can be good if marginally related. If it does attempt to tell uc, I think it’ll be insufferable for fans and maybe a novelty for uninitiated dork, at best.

Just being Netflix I can’t imagine the money going in to make what’s important look good, and the writing will be entry level.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DamnGlitch posted:

If it’s an it can be good if marginally related. If it does attempt to tell uc, I think it’ll be insufferable for fans and maybe a novelty for uninitiated dork, at best.

Just being Netflix I can’t imagine the money going in to make what’s important look good, and the writing will be entry level.

It's not just Netflix, it's Legendary partnered with Netflix. So it should have a bigger budget than the standard Netflix original.

nd the writer isn't some nobody, it's the showrunner for Under The Dome! So Moltres's concern is unfounded, there absolutely will be silly stuff in it.

It just might not be intentionally silly.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If Garma is set up to be the main enemy from the beginning, I imagine it would end with the battle in Earth's atmosphere and he is killed there. The final dramatic shot will be the Gundam surviving reentry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Then start movie 2 with Gihren's speech, Char getting reassigned, Ramba Ral getting the vengeance assignment and Amuro having a bad family reunion while they lay low following the battle.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Gripweed posted:

It's not just Netflix, it's Legendary partnered with Netflix. So it should have a bigger budget than the standard Netflix original.

nd the writer isn't some nobody, it's the showrunner for Under The Dome! So Moltres's concern is unfounded, there absolutely will be silly stuff in it.

It just might not be intentionally silly.

While he hasn't had a chance to really talk Gundam yet, the director has spoken a few times about his Metal Gear adaption and the guy comes across as having a good handle on how adaptions should be done - they haven't hired a Paul W. S. Anderson type person. He's also the guy who made the only one of those Legendary monster movies that didn't stink.

So personally I'm leaning towards optimism. But I also think you could safely assume it's not going to be a straight take on 0079, and even if it's 0079 based/inspired don't expect the wonkier 70's aspects from the tv series to make it because not even Sunrise would use that stuff anymore.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wanna watch Paul Thomas Anderson's Gundam movie

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gripweed posted:

I can't imagine they'll cut one of the two only female characters who remain prominent throughout the entire story.

You say, but if you ever saw the old Gundam movie pitch (Where Amuro and Char were brothers) and the terrible live action War for Earth game, and as I said, most adaptions fo the story. Yeah, they do.

Turns out it's hard for execs to fathom "So she's not Amuro's girlfriend, and neither is that one. She's the Childhood friend, and that one is Char's sister." because their brain just sorta leaks from their nostrils and then they mumble how they could be the same character for "Drama"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

paul w.s anderson also made event horizon one of the best sci fi movies of the last 25 years

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

You say, but if you ever saw the old Gundam movie pitch (Where Amuro and Char were brothers) and the terrible live action War for Earth game, and as I said, most adaptions fo the story. Yeah, they do.

Turns out it's hard for execs to fathom "So she's not Amuro's girlfriend, and neither is that one. She's the Childhood friend, and that one is Char's sister." because their brain just sorta leaks from their nostrils and then they mumble how they could be the same character for "Drama"

I mean, you have different needs for 2 hours of movie and for 20 hours of show, and that includes cast size. If you're making a full length new 0079, SEED shows Bandai will still have a Sayla and a Fraw, but when you're low on time, decisions are different.

Doesn't necessarily make it the right call, but it's kind of understandable, especially if big chunks of Fraw's role vanish with sidelining the orphans and Hayato.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
killing off fraw early on to motivate amuro (as though not dying wasn't a pretty good motivation already) seems plausible.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

killing off women for cheap emotional beats would be very un-gundamlike imo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah a Lot of the time When character's are combined in film it's more so because it's very hard for audiences to follow too many characters in such a short run time. Think of The Big Sleep (1946), a movie that was very faithful to the original chandler novel, and as such is almost impossible for many theatergoers to follow.

I also doubt The Gundam movie is going to have someone of the calibre of Faulkner to smooth out the screenplay

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

killing off women for cheap emotional beats would be very un-gundamlike imo

yeah you're supposed to kill them for newtype powerups

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah you're supposed to kill impregnate them for newtype powerups

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tsob posted:

I imagine the fact that Godzilla v Kong is the first/only major hit of the pandemic/lockdown, and pulled in $400 million just from the cinema alone will probably make everyone involved look on it fondly. I'm still holding out hope for a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover one of these days, even if Pacific Rim isn't the healthiest franchise in the world anymore.

Didn't Sonic The Hedgehog do really good too?

Ethiser posted:

If Garma is set up to be the main enemy from the beginning, I imagine it would end with the battle in Earth's atmosphere and he is killed there. The final dramatic shot will be the Gundam surviving reentry.

Pretty much how I was picturing it, maybe move one of the later Mobile Armors to this fight to provide a big flashy final fight as well

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Who will they cast to play sleggar law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sleggar and amuro are now the same person.