Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Short series, but they were clearly having some serious fun on the mid life crisis mobiles :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I love big daft Fred with all my heart

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I want a GR Yaris :cry:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm really confused about when and where the latest episodes of Top Gear UK and Top Gear USA are running on American cable TV. I see some comments here about Top Gear UK on BBC America, but I keep a pretty close eye on that channel, and I don't remember seeing any new episodes recently--just reruns. I remember seeing promos for it, but I never really noticed the episodes actually running. What day/time is it on?

Same thing with the latest version of Top Gear USA. I'm a subscriber (for some reason) to Motor Trend, and the magazine is stuffed with bullshit about TG USA running on their loving app. I do not watch poo poo on my phone, or stream poo poo from my phone to my TV. If it's not on a loving TV network (the loving MOTOR TREND TV CHANNEL seems like a logical place) then it might as well not exist. Is Top Gear USA on any TV network, and if so, what day/time?

I loving hate 21st century TV.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Number_6 posted:

I'm really confused about when and where the latest episodes of Top Gear UK and Top Gear USA are running on American cable TV. I see some comments here about Top Gear UK on BBC America, but I keep a pretty close eye on that channel, and I don't remember seeing any new episodes recently--just reruns. I remember seeing promos for it, but I never really noticed the episodes actually running. What day/time is it on?
https://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/top-gear--14425
BBC America has a big promo banner saying 4/25 for the start of the new season on their Top Gear page.

quote:

Same thing with the latest version of Top Gear USA. I'm a subscriber (for some reason) to Motor Trend, and the magazine is stuffed with bullshit about TG USA running on their loving app. I do not watch poo poo on my phone, or stream poo poo from my phone to my TV. If it's not on a loving TV network (the loving MOTOR TREND TV CHANNEL seems like a logical place) then it might as well not exist. Is Top Gear USA on any TV network, and if so, what day/time?
AFAIK at the moment Top Gear America is exclusive to the On Demand service. They've hinted it will probably end up on the cable network eventually but nothing has been made official yet.

quote:

I loving hate 21st century TV.
Well, there are always other options...

*insert sound of sea shanties and wooden legs on deck*

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I really wish there was a way for me to pay $xx/month to watch old Top Gear episodes with the original music and not futz with storing them locally on some media server.

Although flash drives are really cheap these days.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Carrying all of True Top Gear around in my pocket for the rest of my days like the One Ring

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You can watch clips of the dumb TGUSA version #5 or whatever on the Motortrend YouTube channel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Carrying all of True Top Gear around in my pocket for the rest of my days like the One Ring
Best way to occupy 140 gigs I know.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The new noveau nu-Top Gear gets good when they start to do the "grand tours" again. They did one, so at least they are trying.

With the actual hosts of Top Gearish, its amazing to see that Clarkson found a time machine to make himself 40 years older in just 15 years. Our cable is showing reruns from ~2006 and it is astonishing how badly Clarkson has aged for the Amazon series.

IMHO the decision to do only grand tours is a smart one, but the glacial timetable is annoying. I hope that they do the "Russian cars across Russia" at some point, I understood that it was the one that was cut short by the COVID-19?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Richard Hammond Shipwrecked show is absolutely awful.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

The Richard Hammond Shipwrecked show is absolutely awful.

Yeah, I had hopes for a show with Hammond and Tory Belleci (Mythbusters) to be good. It's unfortunate.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's really really really bad. I barely made it through the first episode.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've stopped and bailed on just the 1st ep 3 times so far over the last few nights........almost done and then no mas. :suicide:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I thought it was fine. It's definitely intended for a younger audience than most of the people that were watching Top Gear and Mythbusters twenty years ago. If you go into it expecting Gilligan's Island it's watchable but nothing special.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My 4 year old loved it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

I thought it was fine. It's definitely intended for a younger audience than most of the people that were watching Top Gear and Mythbusters twenty years ago. If you go into it expecting Gilligan's Island it's watchable but nothing special.

Yeah, this. It's nowhere near GT/TG level, but still a decent show geared towards younger folks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Murgos posted:

Yeah, I had hopes for a show with Hammond and Tory Belleci (Mythbusters) to be good. It's unfortunate.

Both Hammond and Belleci are fine in small doses.

I want to see more of James May reassembling things.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Has Hammond ever made anything worth watching that didn't include at least one of the following people?
1) James May
2) Jeremy Clarkson

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think most of his stuff is aimed at younger viewers. All of his science shows have seemed to be things that would be interesting to kids and teens.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Both Hammond and Belleci are fine in small doses.

I want to see more of James May reassembling things.

Watch his cooking show if you hate cooking and eating.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cojawfee posted:

I think most of his stuff is aimed at younger viewers. All of his science shows have seemed to be things that would be interesting to kids and teens.

He did a stint on Brainiac: Science Abuse that wasn't too bad.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Hamster's "BIG" show on (SCIENCE - Discovery ++++ or wherever the hell it is) last year was good enough. He toured the VW factory, giant planes, boats, buildings, tunnels etc.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Watch his cooking show if you hate cooking and eating.

I admit it didn’t make me want to cook or eat anything he made, other than the fish pie, but it was amusing.

I really did like May’s Japan travel show.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
He is probably going to do more of those 'our man in...' shows like the Japan one.

(He's stated such, he's contracted for a few more I think)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every so often when I am least expecting it my brain goes "Hey Bim, guess what?"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Japan show was great.

Everything he does in the kitchen just angers me. It's not the recipes so much as his complete lack of technique and knowledge and skill and ability.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Murgos posted:

I admit it didn’t make me want to cook or eat anything he made, other than the fish pie, but it was amusing.

I really did like May’s Japan travel show.

I've done that fish pie from his show a few times and it's really good and remarkably easy to achieve.

Also I'd love to see more Oz & James.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Nthing that May cannot make an entertaining or useful cooking show, but anything to do with travel, mechanics, or other curiosities is always great. He's probably perfectly fine at making a meal, just not for TV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love watching James May build things and visit places.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

James May likes cooking but not fancy cooking and also not making cooking shows, and these are qualities I enjoy in a cooking show host.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Data Graham posted:

Every so often when I am least expecting it my brain goes "Hey Bim, guess what?"

That section was hilarious.

Also when he went to see the sword maker, Guy Martin had been to see the very same fella and in typical Guy Martin fashion, got to help out a lot more than our adorable buffoon May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDU8V8fjX1I

If you haven't seen Guy's shows about Japan, China and India, check them out!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

My Lovely Horse posted:

James May likes cooking but not fancy cooking and also not making cooking shows, and these are qualities I enjoy in a cooking show host.

This really comes through in the bugout bunker youtube food stuff. I think it's hilarious.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
What's even more hilarious/mind boggling are how his two foodtribe female assistants (forgetting their names) are both just the pickiest goddamn adult eaters I've ever seen.

Hate bananas? Refuse to ever eat peanut butter? But you consume multiple energy drinks every day? WTF is wrong with these people? Makes James look absolutely normal by comparison, as he eats like a plain cheese sandwich or something.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

based on Great British Bakeoff, brits are really weird about peanut butter and it's not a common food there

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
It’s pretty uncommon in lots of countries. I know a bunch of Russians who came over to the US to work after high school and they’d never seen it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I can buy peanut butter in most supermarkets, it just isn't something that sells a lot here. Gym heads seem to be the main market for it purely because of the calorie content, I'm not sure I actually know anyone who eat it outside of that specific case use though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"Chocolate and.....peanut butter?!?! Hmm, okay. We'll see if that combination works for your bake. Risky!" "Ah, now here's a true dessert! Rose water flavoring and suet!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The baked beans on this fish cake are truly delightful. I give it three pips and a cheers mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Suddenly I badly want to see James on Comic Relief Bake-Off.