Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is the 40K fan base that problematic? The people in the 40K threads on this forum seem pretty sane, as do the people who frequent my local GW store.

Like yeah the fiction and lore has the Imperium as the grimmest, darkest, fascist, expansionist, militaristic, violently xenophobic regime possible, but from what I’ve seen of the fan base they seem pretty “in on the joke”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothass
Mar 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Stop. Reading. Hisstank.

They have a hidden white supremacist subforum. Seriously. gently caress that site.

How does that work? You say enough coded racist stuff and you get an invite.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xenomrph posted:

Is the 40K fan base that problematic? The people in the 40K threads on this forum seem pretty sane, as do the people who frequent my local GW store.

Like yeah the fiction and lore has the Imperium as the grimmest, darkest, fascist, expansionist, militaristic, violently xenophobic regime possible, but from what I’ve seen of the fan base they seem pretty “in on the joke”.

There is a small group that thinks the Imperium is cool and good, but GW has been actively pushing them away by doing more representation of PoC and lady and queer characters. Blowing up Warhammer Fantasy and replacing it with Age of Sigmar had the unintended consequence of pushing out a lot of the worst old timers too. At this point its really probably no worse than any other large media fanbase in terms of proportion of shitheads

I was mainly just going for an easy joke, in reality of course the 40k fanbase is far better than the G.I.Joe fanbase.

edit: and seriously though has the second wave hit anywhere yet? My local comic shop said they can't guarantee when/if they'll get it because McFarlane is focusing on big box stores now.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 21, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Realtalk I am waiting for the Battle Sister figure to ship, I have her preordered on BBTS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay I really want the MOTUO Rise of Evil 2 Pack. I'm not sure I want to pay ebay prices and I know my chances of finding it in the wild are slim. If you find it I will pay a finders fee of a reasonable amount.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Stop. Reading. Hisstank.

They have a hidden white supremacist subforum. Seriously. gently caress that site.

How did you find this out? How does one get access? I'm the furthest thing from a white supremacist (a lefty non-practicing Jew who supports everything they would hate), but I kind of want to see it for myself. The worst thing is, I'm not the least bit surprised, after how awful the people in the G.I. Joe Classified Facebook Group were when I joined last summer, during the height of Baroness-mania. That's still the only place I have been physically threatened with violence online, and it was absolutely random, over absolutely nothing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gripweed posted:

There is a small group that thinks the Imperium is cool and good, but GW has been actively pushing them away by doing more representation of PoC and lady and queer characters. Blowing up Warhammer Fantasy and replacing it with Age of Sigmar had the unintended consequence of pushing out a lot of the worst old timers too. At this point its really probably no worse than any other large media fanbase in terms of proportion of shitheads

I was mainly just going for an easy joke, in reality of course the 40k fanbase is far better than the G.I.Joe fanbase.

edit: and seriously though has the second wave hit anywhere yet? My local comic shop said they can't guarantee when/if they'll get it because McFarlane is focusing on big box stores now.

It still gets pretty bad depending on where you look. It's not quite as bad as the DnD grogs but it's close.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There's M1 Bullmark reproductions like this that you can get as well. $150 seems average for them since it was somewhat recently reissued.

That guy is beautiful, thanks, but I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't be happy about spending more of our stimulus checks on Japanese imports after my son and I splurged on a bunch of Ultraman junk. I can just fun-tack my Jet Jaguar onto a stand and he should be okay for display purposes. Maybe someday...

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

Okay I really want the MOTUO Rise of Evil 2 Pack. I'm not sure I want to pay ebay prices and I know my chances of finding it in the wild are slim. If you find it I will pay a finders fee of a reasonable amount.

blacksbricks.de has it for pre-order but I'm guessing you'd pay ~80 bucks for it with international shipping

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Unfortunately, that's probably cheaper than ebay.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Target's website lists it as in-stock at my local store. I have no idea if that's even a little bit reliable. I could check tonight, but not for four more hours. If I luck out and they have two, I'll buy two!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Is there any proof of this white supremacy board on Hisstank? I only say this because at a Toy Fair a couple years back I witnessed the guy that owns the site almost throw down with some random business man who dropped an n-bomb.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Is there any proof of this white supremacy board on Hisstank? I only say this because at a Toy Fair a couple years back I witnessed the guy that owns the site almost throw down with some random business man who dropped an n-bomb.

I've heard it from multiple independent sources (3) over the last year and half when the site has been brought up. Could be a rumor, but considering how lovely a huge portion of the fanbase is, I wouldn't be surprised. They definitely did have a pro-Trump subforum called Real American Patriots while he was still in office, probably still is there and full of Q bullshit. Maybe that's the forum, basically is the same poo poo at this point.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Well in things that don't make me entirely depressed about this hobby, found this today.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Xenomrph posted:

You should see Arch Warhammer. Dude is poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He’s so racist he’s not allowed to call himself ‘Arch Warhammer’ anymore because GW made him change it to distance him, and anyone who works with him isn’t allowed to work with GW.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Aphrodite posted:

He’s so racist he’s not allowed to call himself ‘Arch Warhammer’ anymore because GW made him change it to distance him, and anyone who works with him isn’t allowed to work with GW.

Yup. He had connections to them for a time, pretty sure one guy on his way out of the company or a game developer even lambasted Arch and the company put up an apology for it. Around that time his reputation was already considered bad so not many agreed with the apology, most agreed with the ex employee.

Some time after that I remember one Warhammer youtuber though I forget his name actually did a nice video where he said it shouldn't matter who you are, straight, gay, bi, trans, french or whatever you should be allowed to freely play Warhammer and that you were loved. Quite a few WH youtubers cheered
him on, but the dislikes was rather high.

So yeah, there is a divide.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dale-Taco posted:

Well in things that don't make me entirely depressed about this hobby, found this today.

Where did you find her?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found one of those at a target. Someone shoved it near the action figures.

No joes though

I did find the MK Commando Spawn 12 inch. Paint looks iffy but I like the way it looked in the box

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

So, with the HissTank bit, does this mean we should stop reading Toyark / TFW2005 / TokuNation, too?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably not. It seems to be just with the forums and those members. Which makes sense sadly.

I like GI Joe because they all look cool as hell. I honestly don’t know Jack about the stories and stuff.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Where did you find her?

Same Target I got the artist proof version a week ago. My Targets are drowning in everything Mcfarlane. Im just waiting now for the Batman Beyond wave.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

blast0rama posted:

So, with the HissTank bit, does this mean we should stop reading Toyark / TFW2005 / TokuNation, too?

Well you should still limit your exposure to TFW2005 just because holy gently caress some of those people. Get in, check news and local sightings, and gtfo.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dale-Taco posted:

Same Target I got the artist proof version a week ago. My Targets are drowning in everything Mcfarlane. Im just waiting now for the Batman Beyond wave.

I found the exclusive Batman Beyond at Target on Monday. Pretty neat!

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

I found the exclusive Batman Beyond at Target on Monday. Pretty neat!

:argh:

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

TheDK posted:

Well you should still limit your exposure to TFW2005 just because holy gently caress some of those people. Get in, check news and local sightings, and gtfo.

Yeah, I don’t touch any of the forums.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I got my first GI Joe Classified figures today; Pimp Destro is such a silly concept and I love it and the Red Ninja is so cool, with all the accesories that Marvel Legends or Black Series would hardly give you.

If getting GI Joe figures in the USA is hard, imagine trying to get them in South America. I'm glad that I found a local guy who was selling them at a reasonable price, since ordering online would be too expensive and no big stores are selling them here.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

MOUTO update:

My local Target did NOT in fact have the exclusive 2-pack, but I also didn't see any kind of empty space where it should have been; possible they just didn't put it on the shelf yet. I'm not the sort to go bugging employees to check in the back. I'll look again another day.

Their MOTU section has the same 3 Skeletors that have been there for weeks, and they keep stocking more Panthors and Battle Cats and Sky Sleds which are all starting to pile up a little, especially Battle Cat. They have like 8 Battle Cats now. It's crazy because he's the best toy in this whole series to date! I think it might be a lack of available He-Mans that keeps people from picking him up. I don't know. It's annoying because stuff sitting around unsold means the store doesn't restock. Looking forward to checking other stores.

Apparently Mattel sold all the rights to MOTU some years ago to Universal, at a time when it was considered unmarketable by whoever was in charge, but part of the deal was they retained a "first pass" option for any kind of MOTU-related toys, meaning other companies could only make MOTU toys if Mattel first declined to make toys in that style. This part of the deal expires in 2023, which explains why right now they are churning out every possible shape and size of He-Man, to squeeze every possible dime out of the property before time runs out and they are forced to share or even give up the brand they created. That's great for us nerds in the short term because there is such a wealth of MOTU stuff available, but it could turn ugly in a couple years. If Mattel gets outbid for the toy rights, we might get some cool toy lines killed in their prime only for another company to relaunch it in some incompatible format, or worse yet sit on the rights and not produce anything good.

Also, She-Ra supposedly got sold to a different company with the same kind of deal. That means the characters from the two cartoons can share a toy line at Mattel, for now, but the actual rebooted cartoons don't have any possibility of crossing over like they did in the 80s, at least not without some other deal being made between competing production companies... something like like when Spider-Man first showed up in the MCU. (I'm not sure where that leaves Hordak, since he was a big part of both shows.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9OJKGy5E0

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People working at Mattel have refuted those rumors. They sold the film and TV rights, Mattel still owns the IP.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just preordered Hot Toys Rescue from PopCultureZone.com, they had her for $375 plus $25 shipping and no sales tax, making her cheaper than any other place I’ve seen in my searches.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rhyno posted:

People working at Mattel have refuted those rumors. They sold the film and TV rights, Mattel still owns the IP.

Sorry if I’m inadvertently spreading misinformation... I did some serious googling and the best info I can find says this rumor sprang from the true fact that Mattel had to pay royalties to Universal for all their MOTU toys, but the folks at Mattel have since explained the reason for this: A lot of characters and elements from the Filmation series are not specifically owned by Mattel, and rather than try to go to court over every dumb little detail, they agreed to pay a flat licensing fee to generally use whatever Filmation poo poo they feel like using in their toys. I can see how it would get really annoying having lawyers arguing that the toy loincloth looked like THIS and the cartoon loincloth looked like THIS! I’m not sure where the idea about the sunset clause originated, it could be that said flat licensing fee has an expiration date and needs to be renegotiated, or it might have come from a totally unrelated story about Sony trying to hold onto the movie rights after years of development hell.

And I guess Mattel going HAM on the products right now is not so much a ticking clock thing, and it’s more that the time was right and they felt like they had been leaving money on the table by letting other companies have all the fun with MOTU. (I think it was a Mattel employee who pointed out that if they were about to lose the rights it would be a lot smarter to try to bury and devalue the brand to screw over the competition...)

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Idk how I feel about this.

But this is going to be the worst wave yet to collect isn't it...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got the 2 pack!!!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

That guy is beautiful, thanks, but I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't be happy about spending more of our stimulus checks on Japanese imports after my son and I splurged on a bunch of Ultraman junk. I can just fun-tack my Jet Jaguar onto a stand and he should be okay for display purposes. Maybe someday...

Totally understandable! Yeah sofubi collecting can get expensive. But Bullmark style figures usually are released at the ¥8000 and up range to start, so markups happen pretty quickly. :sigh:

Some good news though: Japan Post has stated that EMS is tentatively coming back for the USA in June! :dance: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/2021fee_change/ems_en.html

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Japan raised the pricing zone for EMS to the US quite a bit now thanks to you know who, so it might not even be worth it for you guys over DHL though.

Definitely better than Fedex for sellers who only offer that, at least.

Xenomrph posted:

Just preordered Hot Toys Rescue from PopCultureZone.com, they had her for $375 plus $25 shipping and no sales tax, making her cheaper than any other place I’ve seen in my searches.

I've heard good things about them. Not worth it for Canada (no US vendor is really) so I've never ordered myself though.

20% deposit is a bit on the high end for the hobby, but Rescue's due imminently so it's not like you're dropping 20% on a half dozen things only due out in 18 months.

As with any non-Sideshow vendor you'll get it a bit later than direct, but savings are savings.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It'll definitely be better because there are a LOT of Japanese independant toy makers who simply don't deal with shipping outside of EMS. I've missed out on a few releases because of this.

Also this will mean that I will be able to order my own figure that is produced there and have them shipped to me so I can paint them again without having to spend literally hundreds of dollars on shipping.

edit: unfortunately many small Japanese makers and companies simply don't want to go out of their comfort zone to make things a bit easier for outside collectors to get things from them. Bullmark's site only deals with an old obscure bank transfer system to pay them, so I can't even use a foreign credit card to purchase from them; I have to use a purchasing proxy site. :/

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 22, 2021

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Totally understandable! Yeah sofubi collecting can get expensive. But Bullmark style figures usually are released at the ¥8000 and up range to start, so markups happen pretty quickly. :sigh:

Some good news though: Japan Post has stated that EMS is tentatively coming back for the USA in June! :dance: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/2021fee_change/ems_en.html

I'd love to get into sofubi but it's just a bit too rich for my blood. The last time I was at a toy show there was a guy whose entire booth was nothing but sofubi, just shelves and shelves of chunky kaiju in every color of the rainbow. Gorgeous stuff, but they were all vintage/OOP, with even the tiniest capsule toys at $20 a pop.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

20% deposit is a bit on the high end for the hobby, but Rescue's due imminently so it's not like you're dropping 20% on a half dozen things only due out in 18 months.

As with any non-Sideshow vendor you'll get it a bit later than direct, but savings are savings.

I actually paid in full but did so with PayPal Credit, which lets me pay for stuff over 6 months with no interest provided the purchase is over $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I got the 2 pack!!!!

Did you find it in store?