Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well
Speaking of metal filled valve stems, they make them filled with sodium now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

And to balance him out, 20th century god gave us Thomas Midgley Jr., the man who came up with the idea of putting tetraethyl lead in gasoline, and then went on to invent CFC's.

I love this bit from the wiki, it sounds like a memo you'd find in the demon-infested mars base written by scientists before their experimental portal to hell somehow went wrong:

Okay sure, people keep going insane and trying to eat each others' eyes while screaming about the inescapable burning acid gaze of the old ones, but gosh this whole portal to hell project is really driving the stock price up

In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted poliomyelitis, which left him severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed. In 1944, he became entangled in the device and died of strangulation.

Bill Bryson remarked that Midgley possessed "an instinct for the regrettable that was almost uncanny"

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SpacePig posted:

One of the arguments I hear against expanding things like SNAP is that people will either sell their allotment to other people for cash or will run return-for-cash scams using big-ticket items. So I don't think that program in particular let's you withdraw cash.

Why not just give people cash directly instead of instituting this weird program.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
You know, maybe the polio vaccine Salk made wasn't such a great idea. After all, polio killed Midgley, so it's impossible to tell if it was bad or not.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A bunch of his earlier patents appear to be weird machines that help you charge lead-acid batteries from generators using 1910's technology, which seemed like it might not be terribly deadly until I realized they're all for charging batteries unattended, using a gas-powered generator, and they're the kind of batteries that give off hydrogen when they're overcharged.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

Why not just give people cash directly instead of instituting this weird program.

The cruelty is the point.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Fame Douglas posted:

Listen, fat

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Fame Douglas posted:

Because then you can't point to desperate people trying to circumvent the rules to survive as evidence of fraud in the system when you go to slash its funding. Just cash allowances would be too obvious a good.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Fame Douglas posted:

Because this is less effective at keeping wages low.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Thomas Midgley Jr. was covered in The Dollop and was a decent episode IIRC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPATHBg5-zw

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
woops wrong thread

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they might buy drugs if you give them cash. i know i do

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Isn't there a secondary market for ebt cards and the like, where people sell them for like 70% their nominal value to get cash?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I remember a long-rear end time ago, a local news outlet aired an INVESTIGATIVE REPORT about how people were totally using food stamps to buy cases of bottled water, dumping the water out, then immediately putting the bottles in the deposit machine to convert the like $10 of water bottles into like $1 in coins, which they definitely used to buy booze and drugs.

Obviously the problem here is that they're able to do that and not that they just gave Nestle $9 of taxpayer money to get a dollar they can actually spend.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

atelier morgan posted:

No lawyer or representation, too broke

Lawyers should be free unless you win, at least that is the way they operate here in Texas.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zil posted:

Lawyers should be free unless you win, at least that is the way they operate here in Texas.

That's how personal injury lawyers operate everywhere, because they only take cases that are guaranteed-wins and they're vultures that will take like 90% of the award. Most other kinds of lawyers you generally have to pay for.

e: I guess there are also ads for lawyers to sue medicaid and insurance companies that offer "no fee unless we win!" sometimes but I'm sure they operate on the same rules and I kinda doubt they'd care about someone's piddly small-rear end disability claim appeal

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Apr 20, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shame Boy posted:

That's how personal injury lawyers operate everywhere, because they only take cases that are guaranteed-wins and they're vultures that will take like 90% of the award. Most other kinds of lawyers you generally have to pay for.

e: I guess there are also ads for lawyers to sue medicaid and insurance companies that offer "no fee unless we win!" sometimes but I'm sure they operate on the same rules and I kinda doubt they'd care about someone's piddly small-rear end disability claim appeal

I mean I can see a lawyer only taking cases they could win, but I didn't have to pay a dime to my lawyer until they took their fee out of my award from social security.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

you know that famous firm with the guy with the cowboy hat that advertises on daytime TV about winning your settlement? i worked with them on some projects a few years back.

it is insane, the amount of work they do, to make sure that they only take cases they can win, up to and including getting called on the carpet by the CEO to face a reckoning if you in fact, agree to take a case you end up losing

they have years and years of touch points and statistics about who is going to win a case and who isn't and they win something like 99% of all of them while taking on less than 1% of requests

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Don't forget that Portugal has basically all but controlled their substance abuse problems by addressing the actual issues instead of demonizing their populace

oh and Vancouver did a pilot program of just giving people cash instead of making them go through bullshit hoops and saw massive success

https://reasonstobecheerful.world/vancouver-gave-its-homeless-5800-it-changed-their-lives/

but no - let's keep infantilizing them and drip feed them parts of solutions then look down on them after they inevitably slip back into whatever hellish situation they're placed in.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

boar guy posted:

you know that famous firm with the guy with the cowboy hat that advertises on daytime TV about winning your settlement? i worked with them on some projects a few years back.

it is insane, the amount of work they do, to make sure that they only take cases they can win, up to and including getting called on the carpet by the CEO to face a reckoning if you in fact, agree to take a case you end up losing

they have years and years of touch points and statistics about who is going to win a case and who isn't and they win something like 99% of all of them while taking on less than 1% of requests

Y'know this is actually exactly how I imagined they worked too, right down to the "if you ever, ever lose a case, the CEO will personally break your legs with a sledgehammer like in Wicker Man" bit.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Don't forget that Portugal has basically all but controlled their substance abuse problems by addressing the actual issues instead of demonizing their populace

oh and Vancouver did a pilot program of just giving people cash instead of making them go through bullshit hoops and saw massive success

https://reasonstobecheerful.world/vancouver-gave-its-homeless-5800-it-changed-their-lives/

but no - let's keep infantilizing them and drip feed them parts of solutions then look down on them after they inevitably slip back into whatever hellish situation they're placed in.

It's only a success if your goal is to help people and/or improve society. If your goal is to punish people for being poor it's a massive failure.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Isn't there a secondary market for ebt cards and the like, where people sell them for like 70% their nominal value to get cash?

Not exactly because the card itself isn't some one-time thing, it's connected to your name and where your next benefits will come as well

There are definitely a lot of schemes though

buy and return
lovely bodega charges you double for cigs but rings it as food
buy me $100 in groceries and I'll give you $50

etc

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Inceltown posted:

Absolutely lmao'ing at the fact Gates et al are making sure supplies are restricted so they can make bank. For someone who wanted to give away all his money helping people he's not doing a very good job of it.

The world should be vaccinated not the bullshit that is happening instead.

i think i remember an article detailing billy g's naughtiness but i can't find it anymore. anyone got a link?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1384689620168937472

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/benyt/status/1384678882972999682

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

lmao

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1384650781672939521

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Orange Devil posted:

I still maintain this makes him the best human alive in the 20th century.

I nominate Norman Borlaug.

‘Borlaug was often called "the father of the Green Revolution",[5][6] and is credited with saving over a billion people worldwide from starvation.[7][8][9][10]’

Shame Boy posted:

And to balance him out, 20th century god gave us Thomas Midgley Jr., the man who came up with the idea of putting tetraethyl lead in gasoline, and then went on to invent CFC's.

I don’t know that T. M. Jr was even the worst chemist of the twentieth century. He has very stiff competition in Fritz Haber.

quote:

Clara Immerwahr (21 June 1870 – 2 May 1915) was a German chemist of Jewish descent.[1] She was the first woman to be awarded a doctorate in chemistry in Germany, and is credited with being a pacifist as well as a women's rights activist.[2]

[…]

During World War I, Fritz Haber became a staunch supporter of the German military effort and played an important role in the development of chemical weapons (particularly poison gases). His efforts would culminate in his supervision of the first successful deployment of a weapon of mass destruction in military history, in Flanders, Belgium on 22 April 1915. Immerwahr spoke out against her husband's research as a “perversion of the ideals of science” and “a sign of barbarity, corrupting the very discipline which ought to bring new insights into life.” [14]

Shortly after Haber's return from Belgium, Immerwahr shot herself in the chest using Haber's military pistol. On 2 May 1915, she died in her son's arms.[9][10] The morning after her death, Haber left for the first gas attack against the Russians on the Eastern Front.[15][16]

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Isn't haber also to blame for the Haber Bosch process that basically defined the modern agriculture of just adding tons of fertilizer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Isn't haber also to blame for the Haber Bosch process that basically defined the modern agriculture of just adding tons of fertilizer

I mean at least the Haber process is kinda indirectly responsible for a hell of a lot of people not starving to death, I feel like the biggest positive things Midgley ever did were "car engines run smoother" and "refrigeration systems need somewhat less maintenance and complexity"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The most charitable interpretation of Midgley’s work is that his high‐octane fuels helped the Allies win the air war.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
borlaugs works depends completely on haber bosch process, lol

like 70% of all human consumed calories depend on it directly or indirectly, iirc

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

borlaugs works depends completely on haber bosch process, lol

like 70% of all human consumed calories depend on it directly or indirectly, iirc

So what you're saying is it's complicated

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The most charitable interpretation of Midgley’s work is that his high‐octane fuels helped the Allies win the air war.

By powering the Enola Gay, sure

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bourlog is a legend. he saved the lives of billions and was a wrestler from iowa. my entire CV is being a wrestler from iowa. he rules and im a poster lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eat This Glob posted:

bourlog is a legend. he saved the lives of billions and was a wrestler from iowa. my entire CV is being a wrestler from iowa. he rules and im a poster lol

He's in the Wrestling Hall Of Fame, despite the fact that he stopped wrestling after university, because the guys in charge of the Wrestling Hall Of Fame figure he deserves every award anyone is able to give him.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1385005207503921155
:allears:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Make him the PM

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Chamale posted:

He's in the Wrestling Hall Of Fame, despite the fact that he stopped wrestling after university, because the guys in charge of the Wrestling Hall Of Fame figure he deserves every award anyone is able to give him.

They're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

loving legend