Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Trading blows. As lovely as the d2jsp community is I really miss it for trading right now. Does anyone have a decent understanding of the project diablo 2 economy. Can I just sell everything I magic find for world stone shards and do my trading that way? People only want runes and trying to price check and convert and not getting taken advantage of sucks.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
you can use this as a rough guide for relative rune value: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/160cbh-CY8DHi6KPM9qrQB8Fn7efnXwHeosrtK9pdn6M/htmlview#gid=0

2 wss is roughly a pul or somewhere around there but a lot of people won't want an "equal" value of wss, so they don't really function as a currency. I do kinda miss how easy jsp made it sometimes but it is nice that each ladder season is a true reboot and you can't carry over currency from one to the next

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Hey thank you very much. That alone will go a long way in helping me decide how to trade in the future.

On a side note I've seen these videos pop up on reddit the past few months. Has anyone else seen em? A lot of good jokes and use of in game sounds for long time players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFtMosmddbo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FalloutGod posted:

Hey thank you very much. That alone will go a long way in helping me decide how to trade in the future.

On a side note I've seen these videos pop up on reddit the past few months. Has anyone else seen em? A lot of good jokes and use of in game sounds for long time players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFtMosmddbo

That's by Carbot, they did the Starcraft 2 videos and the cartoon mod.

Hadn't seen that one in particular before. Reminds me more of my experience with Phantasy Star Online where I had all kinds of high level players just twink me with rare loot as soon as I started.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I enjoyed the Carbot D1 videos and I'm greatly enjoying the D2 series.

The D1 episode about meeting the Butcher for the first time is an accurate representation of my reaction as a kid.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

THE BAR posted:

It's not even mentioned in the manual or BradyGames guide.

Also, the BradyGames book that came with the Battle Chest is hilarious. "Put 20 points in Clay Golem and it'll have 600 hit points! Wow!"

E:

Spelling.

That's mainly what I'm afraid of - they are saying they won't fix some bugs which community has managed to live with, but there are serious design (or, at the very least, documentation) flaws in Diablo 2, and treating D2R as the game everyone already knows and have played is a mistake, imo. Besides, the original original Diablo 2 didn't have respecs and runes, right? Runes especially are things people really seek in their games, and I'm very grateful for the ability to respec, even if limited - and I'm sure those were criticized at the beginning, since they invalidate "decisions", which is something the Diablo 2 players really want to be able to make (and things MrLlama really underlined in his video about D2R and it's changes. Kinda funny one, since the ability to play on consoles with the controller was a "meh, I guess it's nice" change;)

I think this trying to please old players with little change and simultaneously trying to attract new one will result in some really weird design clashes - and also, the same community made mods to fix bugs, balance abilities and expand inventory, so those can't be so accepted as to be indispensible.

I wonder how quickly the mod to change Amazon's face will surface, too:p

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All my main characters are non-ladder :negative:

Fuuuuuuck me. I have no clue how this happened. God that's devastating. Do they go non-ladder if they lapse too long?

vvvvvvvv They're very old characters. Like 4 years. Possibly ladder reset? I don't know poo poo about D2. I logged on every month or so to get rid of the 90 days left message but for the most part I didn't play more than maybe 5 minutes a year

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 21, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think thats a thing yes.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yeah when the ladder ends

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh okay. Makes sense. Sucks big though; everything I've got is probably worthless. I was wondering why the game was even deader than I expected

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

That's mainly what I'm afraid of - they are saying they won't fix some bugs which community has managed to live with, but there are serious design (or, at the very least, documentation) flaws in Diablo 2, and treating D2R as the game everyone already knows and have played is a mistake, imo. Besides, the original original Diablo 2 didn't have respecs and runes, right? Runes especially are things people really seek in their games, and I'm very grateful for the ability to respec, even if limited - and I'm sure those were criticized at the beginning, since they invalidate "decisions", which is something the Diablo 2 players really want to be able to make (and things MrLlama really underlined in his video about D2R and it's changes. Kinda funny one, since the ability to play on consoles with the controller was a "meh, I guess it's nice" change;)

I think this trying to please old players with little change and simultaneously trying to attract new one will result in some really weird design clashes - and also, the same community made mods to fix bugs, balance abilities and expand inventory, so those can't be so accepted as to be indispensible.

I wonder how quickly the mod to change Amazon's face will surface, too:p

So far aside from gold auto pickup VV really hasn't done anything gameplay altering. I'm not surprised i would think D2R is going to be very much current D2 with a new graphical layer and perhaps they try and change things in additional patches down the line

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Zaphod42 posted:

That's by Carbot, they did the Starcraft 2 videos and the cartoon mod.

Hadn't seen that one in particular before. Reminds me more of my experience with Phantasy Star Online where I had all kinds of high level players just twink me with rare loot as soon as I started.

that happened the first time I did online play for D1, just logged in, said "hello" in the chat and a Rogue walked by and dropped a whole bunch of really good, though probably hacked, equipment and peaced out

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Aces High posted:

that happened the first time I did online play for D1, just logged in, said "hello" in the chat and a Rogue walked by and dropped a whole bunch of really good, though probably hacked, equipment and peaced out

My sorcerer was given a bountiful staff of apocalypse (256 charges i think?) and an entire set of hacked Thinking Caps. The original item is a helm with +2 spell levels and 20% resist all, but it has 1 durability. I was given a set of helm, body armor, amulet, and rings that were all somehow Thinking Caps that you could wear in the relevant slot. The helm and body armor had regular durability instead of 1.

I felt like a god until I joined a game and saw someone killing other players in town (you could not duel or go hostile in town in Diablo 1; this player had a hack that let them attack and kill other players in town who could not fight back. I saw someone die right when I spawned in, and all their loot and gold fall to the ground. The hacker didn't stop to pick anything up, they just turned to me and started closing in. I quit out of the game before they got to me, but it was like the biggest jumpscare I had experienced in a game ever. Probably still is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Okay am I crazy or does one of the imps in Diablo 2 say "Chiropractor"

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay am I crazy or does one of the imps in Diablo 2 say "Chiropractor"

They say whatever you think they are saying, rakabar.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
There are two names they say that are unique monsters in act one, which are Rakinishu and Bishibosh. There are two others I think which don't have corresponding hero monsters, one that I hear as Keirosak and the other one I can't remember.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
they say MASK OFF! in a chilling prediction of the COVID-19 pandemic years ahead of its time

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

don't forget colenzo!

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
To the folks playing Project Diablo 2 what builds are you finding fun this season? I've hit a point I can farm most of hell with this frozen orb sorc and I'm starting to collect some runes. I'd like to move on to maps so I need to start thinking of a new character. Trap sin seems to be the hot poo poo right now but thats just going to make gear expensive so I dunno. Thoughts?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hooplah posted:

don't forget colenzo!

See I always took that as carletto. Not confused with the annihilator are you?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

They always sound different in the game itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP8UcmKPr1w&t=680s

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

See I always took that as carletto. Not confused with the annihilator are you?

they shout colenzo as a direct reference to the the a5 boss, just like bishibosh and rakanishu

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

FalloutGod posted:

To the folks playing Project Diablo 2 what builds are you finding fun this season? I've hit a point I can farm most of hell with this frozen orb sorc and I'm starting to collect some runes. I'd like to move on to maps so I need to start thinking of a new character. Trap sin seems to be the hot poo poo right now but thats just going to make gear expensive so I dunno. Thoughts?

throw barb was really good last season and has improved this season. highly recommend. curse necro feels a little underpowered without crazy gear but it's a great companion for a trap sin

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Alright, I'll have to check for a few guides for the barb and see what thats about. I never played one even back in vanilla. Also, I had baal drop me a useless small charm. Since his charms are ilvl 99 should I bother to reroll this thing? I know your suppose to reroll the grand charms for skillers but what about the small ones?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
throw barb was pretty unplayable in lod but it's much better in pd2 because they made double throw bounce. there's a couple good guides on the pd2 wiki that I think are from last season but it's basically the same build this season

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

FalloutGod posted:

Alright, I'll have to check for a few guides for the barb and see what thats about. I never played one even back in vanilla. Also, I had baal drop me a useless small charm. Since his charms are ilvl 99 should I bother to reroll this thing? I know your suppose to reroll the grand charms for skillers but what about the small ones?
Smalls are good for All-Res, max damage, frw, MF, elemental damage(especially poison), str/vit and a bunch of others. It’s the mediums that aren’t as good, because they’re less stats per slot and can’t have +skills.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FalloutGod posted:

Reroll GCs not SCs.

ilvl 50-54gc is ~11% skill gc when rerolled.
ilvl 99gc (for life) is ~10.7% to be a skill gc when rerolled. Technically you can roll vita at 77+ but anyone using an ilvl with <2 vita rolls in pool is 2x less likely to get a dual mod with vita than a baal gc. It's something like 1/333 to be skill+vita off of a 99 and 1/630 off of a 77.

Which you pick is up to you, but given the chance of getting something worth obscene amounts of money in multiplayer I'd go with the highest ilvl because it's not that different of a chance unless you're trying to roll an inventory full off of self-found pgems.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 26, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I found a unique polearm called the tomb raider or similar and it's ethereal with 3 sockets, 48 all resists and 59 MF and some nice attack bonuses against undead plus a chance to turn into little meat shield skeleys. It seems pretty drat nice to me and it's got the most damage I've ever personally seen (you can see higher on google images) on a weapon at about 850 max with a very fast attack speed but my friend said it was trash. If I didn't have to give up an insight I think it'd be great on a merc with some ists or bers if you're so rich you can just slap them in everything plus then you dont have to worry about it breaking but I generally defer to his experience on the game. I guess it doesn't really matter with the ladder supposedly resetting soon but it'd be a small thrill to have something decent since I lucked up and found a jah doing manual pit runs with a teleportless zon

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
That's a pretty decent find for an act 2 merc weapon. It's not normally ethereal, so you basically rolled an extra 50% damage on top of whatever the unique stats already are. Good damage, 60% increased attack speed, and sockets! If you are throwing Amplify Damage or Decrepify curses on the enemies he'll put out some decent damage.

It's not as good as high runeword polearms like Infinity, Death, Doom, Breath of the Dying etc. But it is worth replacing your Insight with it if you don't mind drinking some mana potions now and then. I would put some perfect skulls in it for lifeleech until you can find some really nice damage jewels. Put it in the Horadric cube with Hel rune and tp scroll to empty the sockets once you have better stuff. I don't think it would be worth putting high runes in there, better to use them to make a runeword weapon that has the same damage/speed plus other great mods like crushing blow, chance to cast high level spells on hit/strike, etc.

I like to give my act 2 merc a Hone Sundan spear, which has 45% crushing blow and 3 sockets. Pretty cheap to throw 3 shael runes in there and give it 60% attack speed, also cheap to upgrade it from a mid tier base weapon to an elite base weapon in the horadric cube. Hitting really fast with high crushing blow chance makes bosses die a lot faster.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I blew 8ish high runes over the last couple of days putting together a multishot zon and I regret it. It can't really MF for me and mapping isn't great. Some of the gear is low roll and I don't have the bankroll for the charms to tie the build together. I bit off more then I could chew. Bleh. I made my self feel better by buying 6 skillers and just went back to my frozen orb sorc.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
is this in pd2? what bow are you using?

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
yeah PD2. Its a low ED % unsocketed windforce with a useless corrupt I got for cheap. I think this is where I screwed my self a little bit. I went too cheap on the weapon and now I can't afford a good one lol. I have like 4 high runes and 40 wss. I could roll my luck with a puzzlebox but then I'd still need to buy the ED/IAS jewels or the OHM runes and thats money I ain't got.

The character /can/ clear tier 1 maps with some decent density but for what I've spent on it the experience sucks. My damage isn't high enough that it makes baby sitting the wisp/merc/valk and general survivability a pain. I think its just a build I didn't realize was going to be so high rune hungry. I watched this dudes video on his zon but didn't stop and really price out his gear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbPSiiOjzcc&t=63s

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

FalloutGod posted:

I blew 8ish high runes over the last couple of days putting together a multishot zon and I regret it. It can't really MF for me and mapping isn't great. Some of the gear is low roll and I don't have the bankroll for the charms to tie the build together. I bit off more then I could chew. Bleh. I made my self feel better by buying 6 skillers and just went back to my frozen orb sorc.

Make a LF zon, kill cows, profit.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
fwiw buriza and crossbows in general have been pretty massively buffed this season to the point where a mediocre buriza is actually better than a mediocre windforce, so might be worth checking out

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Is it worth making a chain lightning sorc if you don't have access to an Infinity (say putting 20 points into frozen orb instead since it doesn't really need synergies?) or am I better off sticking to my blizzard/fireball sorc in that case?

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Gone Fashing posted:

fwiw buriza and crossbows in general have been pretty massively buffed this season to the point where a mediocre buriza is actually better than a mediocre windforce, so might be worth checking out

On paper, buriza actually puts out more dps than windforce now, but people still don't like using them because it's way more fun to miss out on 10% dps, but attack at 5 frames. Pretty good fury druid weapon though, I guess?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The Lord Bude posted:

Is it worth making a chain lightning sorc if you don't have access to an Infinity (say putting 20 points into frozen orb instead since it doesn't really need synergies?) or am I better off sticking to my blizzard/fireball sorc in that case?

light kinda sucks without infinity, I like synergised F/O + Nova or pure blizzard

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

well now I feel silly. I was assuming you were playing vanilla. Ignore my previous post. I have never tried PD2.

I find it interesting that PD2 has buffed crossbows, because Resurgence (which I have played) also buffed crossbows. It's a cool weapon type but in vanilla D2 was pretty trash across the board.

Was Buriza good back in the old days? I never played online before 1.10 but buriza had a cameo in dota so maybe it was actually cool and good once? I dunno.

Was the level-based +damage mod good enough to make it worth using in non-expansion Diablo II? I never got into that scene.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Random memory here but I remember trading all night once to get 60/40 armor and an 08 vampgaze only to have my account hacked 30 minutes later. I was very sad and quit for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

WITCHCRAFT posted:

well now I feel silly. I was assuming you were playing vanilla. Ignore my previous post. I have never tried PD2.

I find it interesting that PD2 has buffed crossbows, because Resurgence (which I have played) also buffed crossbows. It's a cool weapon type but in vanilla D2 was pretty trash across the board.

Was Buriza good back in the old days? I never played online before 1.10 but buriza had a cameo in dota so maybe it was actually cool and good once? I dunno.

Was the level-based +damage mod good enough to make it worth using in non-expansion Diablo II? I never got into that scene.

Buriza was only in the expansion.

Before 1.10, it was the go-to for bowzons since it was easily found. The toyota camry of the amazons. Cheap, functional, and it got you murdering hell cows with multishot. Then all that changed and better options were available so it fell off. Windforce was still king poo poo back then but those were expensive.