Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
forgive me if this qualifies as off topic, but what the gently caress kind of police report of an incident is this?????

https://twitter.com/ericandre/status/1385041171387273216

like it sounds so farcical i thought it was a bit at first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I keep thinking about the way Matt Gaetz said, “you’ll remember her, Tucker” when he was defending crossing state lines with high-school kids by saying that they had dinner with him, and I wonder if it really was the threat it clearly sounded like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I keep thinking about the way Matt Gaetz said, “you’ll remember her, Tucker” when he was defending crossing state lines with high-school kids by saying that they had dinner with him, and I wonder if it really was the threat it clearly sounded like.

i mean they are/were both weird florida fucks. so maybe tucker was a client. idk we will see.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Remind me what Jesse Helms did as CIA director

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Carlson cannot possibly be worried about the Dan White yearbook thing. It's bad and ghoulish, but it takes more than 30 seconds to explain, and even then it's pretty esoteric.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grouchio posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Helms#Social_and_political_views

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

That's richard helms. Jesse Helms was ridiculously long serving US senator and massive bigot. Mostly racism but he really just loved every form of bigotry he came across.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Carlson cannot possibly be worried about the Dan White yearbook thing. It's bad and ghoulish, but it takes more than 30 seconds to explain, and even then it's pretty esoteric.

yeah. i assume its other poo poo, maybe something in college or after. who knows. it will come out eventually.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Yang Bus is unstoppable.

Several left-wing minor candidates have dropped out and endorsed Yang despite having some major disagreements with him in the hope that they will have sway in a Yang administration.

https://twitter.com/NYTMetro/status/1384991123563814916
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1385073528857317380

Yang is also saying that he will make one of his rivals in the primary the Deputy Mayor and let her run the city while he handles "vision" projects.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yang is pretty close to being an empty vessel. He’s like an affable Musk in terms of how absolutely dumb he is. I’d post the pizza pizza song again, but I’m on mobile.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yang is largely just a con man. He talks big idealism but doesn't have the competence or really interest in doing anything more that paying lip service. Honestly there probably is some validity to fellating his ego to get leftist policies enacted.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lester Shy posted:

Carlson just released a statement bashing the Washington Post for having reporters contact people he went to college with and threatening them if they don't respect people's privacy.

quote:

Jeff Bezos had one of his minions, a mentally unbalanced middle-aged man called Erik Wemple, pull our dusty college yearbook and call around and see if we'd done anything naughty at the age of 19. Let us know if you hear any good stories. Quite a few old college classmates have contacted me on Tuesday and told me Wemple had been asking questions. But, before Bezos drops any more of his billions on opposition research, you should know that it will not affect any election outcome. This is a news show, it's not a political campaign. No one here is running for anything or plans to. On the other hand, if Jeff Bezos wants to come over to reminisce about 1987 on this show, he is always welcome, anytime. But, Jeff. You need to respect people's privacy. Come after me, I can take the hits, but don't contact people I know from college who have nothing to do with this. Remember what happened when your privacy was invaded before? You of all people should know better.

Doesn't necessarily mean something is coming out. It could be related to the yearbook thing or maybe just reporters following up on the yearbook thing to see if they can find any leads.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Anti-Defamation League is also telling advertisers to drop Tucker. Most of the big ones that are persuadable have already dropped, but having the ADL call you out is still a very bad look that companies want to avoid and might make a few more move.

quote:

Anti-Defamation League Slams Tucker Carlson, Tells Advertisers To ‘Choose A Side’

The Anti-Defamation League is calling on advertisers to “choose a side” when it comes to buying spots on social media, “problematic programs” and “networks that don’t respect all people or that repeat baseless conspiracies that endanger all of us.”

In a speech Tuesday to the World Federation of Advertisers, Jonathan Greenblatt, the ADL’s national director, singled out Fox News’ Tucker Carlson for particular scorn following Carlson’s pushing of the white supremacist “great replacement” conspiracy theory.

Carlson this month suggested Democrats are trying to replace the electorate with “more obedient voters from the Third World.”

Greenblatt at the time called on Fox News to fire Carlson — its most-watched prime time personality. Fox News chiefs dismissed the demand.

On Tuesday, Greenblatt encouraged advertisers to hit companies that allow hate speech where it hurts — on their bottom lines.

“Through your advertising muscle, you have a distinct and powerful voice in what information networks like Fox and Facebook will and will not allow on their platforms,” Greenblatt told members of the marketing trade group. “You can hold them accountable like few other actors in society because your dollars are the fuel that enables their business model.”

The advertising industry was “uniquely positioned to push these networks – whether mass media or social media – to do their utmost to ensure that hatred and conspiracy theories are not amplified,” he continued.

“Commit to this fight. Choose a side,” added Greenblatt. “Choose to pause or even pull your ads, not just from problematic programs, but altogether from networks that don’t respect all people or that repeat baseless conspiracies that endanger all of us.”

Carlson and other Fox News personalities have been the subjects of advertiser boycotts in the past for their hate-filled commentary, but Fox News said most of those ads simply moved to other programs on the network.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/adl-tucker-carlson-advertisers_n_607fe040e4b047b9f8b46f15?section=politics&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Anti-Defamation League is also telling advertisers to drop Tucker. Most of the big ones that are persuadable have already dropped, but having the ADL call you out is still a very bad look that companies want to avoid and might make a few more move.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/adl-tucker-carlson-advertisers_n_607fe040e4b047b9f8b46f15?section=politics&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016

i mean cool. i don't think it will work but its still good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Mike Pillow and cash-for-gold people probably take charges of antisemitism as praise.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

FlamingLiberal posted:

The NY Times got confirmation that Biden himself was the reason that the refugee admission promises were broken, which prompted backlash last week

https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1384909080976928779?s=20

christ, now i'm regretting my post about wanting an insider account of this decision. it looks like it's going to be an uphill struggle to get any immigration reform passed if biden thinks it's a low priority political liability. given how squishy latino support was in 2020 general election, a dismissive attitude could be a big problem in 2022 and 2024

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Some silicon valley billionaire finance guy ain't gonna be implementing leftist policies or leftist agendas lol, hes just gonna help Cuomo bring the IDC back and then do whatever the NYPD tells him to do. Any "leftist" endorsing him in lieu of running against him to point this out is a joke, just left libertarians finding common ground with world destroying right libertarians like we see so often with people like Greenwald

Remember when he said he wouldn't be endorsing anyone who didnt support a UBI and then he was the first to endorse Biden right after he said he didnt support that lmao

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sarcastr0 posted:

Fair.
Does the same standard hold for those declaring Biden someone whose refugee policy proves he is a giant racist?

We know Biden's policy proves he's a giant racist. Its not really in question. When given the option to be a giant racist or not, he took the giant racist option. It was only when he was scolded like a small child by literally everyone that he reluctantly walked back the position. Or at least has promised to, whether or not the giant racist keeps his promise is anyone's guess.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Discendo Vox posted:

The cap coverage from the NYT was and is a complete load of poo poo and I'm going to have to write something up about circular journalism and framing effects for the media lit thread based on it.

Could you explain a bit more clearly? I gather your point is the media is taking one story, "Biden admin delays decision on changing refugee cap" and reframing it into "Biden decides to keep Trump cap, backs down over PR campaign" which would then be basically, manufactured outrage?

Now we have posters in here unquestioningly echoing the NYT story en masse. (The irony is rather stark on that point, apparently the Times is a good source now.)

I dont like being misled, even when I've stated Biden's delay on restoring the refugee cap is both inexplicable and unacceptable. In the meantime I'm depressed by number of people in this thread trapped in a clickbait-driven feedback loop.

^^ 'giant racist' hyperbole a perfect example

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean cool. i don't think it will work but its still good.

Making Glenn Beck advertiser poison was what killed his Fox show and by extension entire career 10 years ago. The only thing Fox cares about is money, and if a host starts actually costing Fox $$$$, like Beck and O'Reilly and Dobbs did, then they will swing the axe and let them go. We'll see if that's the case with Tucker though, because he seems like he's fireproof.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I wonder how receptive they are to advertiser pressure anymore. There was an article about how the vast majority of their income comes from cable fees paid by cable companies rather than advertisers at this point. Can pressure be exerted in that direction somehow?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Some silicon valley billionaire finance guy

He isn't this. He's a conman who pretends he's that. He's worth like 3 million bucks and has never financed anything particularly interesting or impressive.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Kaal posted:

Ben Carson has never held elected office, earned a whopping 2.75% of the 2016 Republican presidential primary, and spent four years doing nothing of note at the HUD beyond stepping from one petty scandal to the next. For such a forgettable politician, he sure gets a lot of press.

He's black and made a lot of money.

I'll type more but that's it really. He's an example of 'one of the good ones' in their eyes so doesn't matter if he's complete failure. He could ride that grift train into the grave.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

He's black and made a lot of money.

I'll type more but that's it really. He's an example of 'one of the good ones' in their eyes so doesn't matter if he's complete failure. He could ride that grift train into the grave.

Herman Cain found that particular train ride is a very short one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

fool of sound posted:

Yang is largely just a con man. He talks big idealism but doesn't have the competence or really interest in doing anything more that paying lip service. Honestly there probably is some validity to fellating his ego to get leftist policies enacted.

I dunno, that never worked with Trump.

If this works out great, but con men are hard people to control and not exactly trustworthy.

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し

Paracaidas posted:

The concern would be that 10 Republicans come up with an infrastructure bill that is everything Manchin likes about Biden's proposal, none of the things he's ambivalent about, refrains from adding any non-budgetary poison pills, and replacing the corporate tax increases by flipping the SALT deduction into a SALT penalty. He (along with Sinema, Klobuchar, and others of their ilk) declare it a valid offer and one they'll accept, pledging not to vote for reconciliation because there is now a legitimate path to bipartisan passage.

I think if the Republicans were capable of doing this, they would have done it under Trump, who was practically begging them to pass an infrastructure bill and even made noises about working with congressional Democrats on it. Now that Biden would get the credit for everything, they have even less incentive.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Carlson just released a statement bashing the Washington Post for having reporters contact people he went to college with and threatening them if they don't respect people's privacy.

Doesn't necessarily mean something is coming out. It could be related to the yearbook thing or maybe just reporters following up on the yearbook thing to see if they can find any leads.

Huh, I wonder if calling a reporter mentally unbalanced on air is cause for slander.

Should be, but usa, so who knows.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Caros posted:

Huh, I wonder if calling a reporter mentally unbalanced on air is cause for slander.

Should be, but usa, so who knows.

Tucker calling his show a news program should be grounds to sue him for slander

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1385039260227616768?s=20

I know Fox News says dumb poo poo is nothing new but this one really just leaves me dumbfounded

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

I know Fox News says dumb poo poo is nothing new but this one really just leaves me dumbfounded

This just makes me think Hannity can be goaded into a televised MMA fight against, oh I dunno, Lee Carter? John Oliver? I have faith that basically anyone could flatten Hannitys rear end

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rust Martialis posted:

Could you explain a bit more clearly? I gather your point is the media is taking one story, "Biden admin delays decision on changing refugee cap" and reframing it into "Biden decides to keep Trump cap, backs down over PR campaign" which would then be basically, manufactured outrage?

Now we have posters in here unquestioningly echoing the NYT story en masse. (The irony is rather stark on that point, apparently the Times is a good source now.)

I dont like being misled, even when I've stated Biden's delay on restoring the refugee cap is both inexplicable and unacceptable. In the meantime I'm depressed by number of people in this thread trapped in a clickbait-driven feedback loop.

^^ 'giant racist' hyperbole a perfect example

Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown. You've been here long enough to know that the same 10-12 posters are going to do this every single time.

What I think happened here is that Biden was concerned about the current mess with the rise in undocumented kids appearing at the border giving the Right a specific focus to scream about and it seemed to be capturing the stupid "both sides" news cycle, and he was worried that it would derail everything else he is trying to do. He thought (stupidly) that if he stalled a bit and didn't give them a specific hook like immediately raising the refugee cap, the media focus would move on and he could do it later. It was a political call, and a really bad cowardly one, and he correctly reversed himself when he got pushback. Bad stumble, he should eat some poo poo for it.

On the other hand, maybe those same 10-12 posters are right. Maybe Biden' is just an evil cartoon caricature old school racist and all the good stuff he has been doing and announcing for the past couple of months is all fake and he lives to make people of color suffer. Oh, and he also is just about to impose strict austerity politics and lower taxes on rich people, and expand coal mining and drop a nuke on Iran.

Remember, the same 10-12 posters have been telling us poo poo like that every hour or so for the past year, and every time Biden appears to be doing something that on its face looks cool and good and that progressives support, they have to pretend that it is fake or that he is lying or he should have fixed everything in 20 days, or lets move the goalposts to some other issue instead, etc.

The fact is, Biden legitimately hosed this particular refugee cap thing up and had to reverse himself, and these 10-12 posters are just salivating at the chance to finally get some shots in that might stick. For months they have made angry "told you so" rants every time someone quoted a twitter rando who said that Biden is cancelling Covid relief checks, or Biden is putting Rahm Emanuel or Larry Summers in the cabinet, or Biden is about to send more troops to Afghanistan, or whatever. And the fact that none of things were ever real never gets them to admit anything and never stops them from falling for the next fake out, because they are so desperately invested in the idea that Biden is evil and is going to screw us all over.

So let them vent. The last few months have been harder on them than anyone because they hate Biden far more than even the most right wing chud does, but until now the most they have had to complain about was Mayor Pete getting put in as Secretary of Transportation. It is killing them to see that Biden keeps doing things like expanding the child tax credit or pushing gun control or directing aid specifically to Black farmers or rejoining the Paris Climate Accords or ending the ban on transgender troops or proposing free pre-Kindergarten child care and free community college or cancelling the Keystone Pipeline. You know how aggravating it can be for aggressive performance posters when someone they hate so much is doing so many things that they know are cool and good? It totally undermines the only thing that matters: angrily showing how much more pure their leftism is and how much more bitter their outrage is than anyone else's, and calling every other poster in D&D a fascist or racist or centrist neo-lib whatever. They live for that poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

predicto fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 22, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Even if you believe in that premise, which is kind of odd, there is still reason to critique things done in general. Because if you just shut up and go "everything is fine" it proves that people will be happy with very little. Never being satisfied with anything is a bad trait in interpersonal relationships. It is a great one when it comes to demanding change and greater governmental oversight.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Josef bugman posted:

Even if you believe in that premise, which is kind of odd, there is still reason to critique things done in general. Because if you just shut up and go "everything is fine" it proves that people will be happy with very little. Never being satisfied with anything is a bad trait in interpersonal relationships. It is a great one when it comes to demanding change and greater governmental oversight.

Josef, you are an excellent example of “never be afraid to ask questions”, both here and in UKMT. You have a very honest approach to admitting when you don’t understand things I think more posters would benefit from adopting. I don’t always agree with you but I never felt you were trying to score debating points. Kudos.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thank you very much! It is appreciated!

I don't really know how to take compliments so I don't really know how to elaborate, thanks!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 22, 2021

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Failed Imagineer posted:

This just makes me think Hannity can be goaded into a televised MMA fight against, oh I dunno, Lee Carter? John Oliver? I have faith that basically anyone could flatten Hannitys rear end

Uwe Boll, you know what you must do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lowtax redemption arc

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I am quite sure I saw a video of hannity's sad, sad punches some years ago. He was with some actual MMA fighter in it but I can't remember who. edit: Wasn't a fight, more like a "training" video.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

fool of sound posted:

That's richard helms. Jesse Helms was ridiculously long serving US senator and massive bigot. Mostly racism but he really just loved every form of bigotry he came across.

The inspiration for one of LF's greatest posts which of course I can't find now which was a fake obituary for him.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That loving backwards cap lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I did 6 months of Krav and can throw better punches than this guy. Like, that is literally wild flailing.