Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

zoux posted:

It's actually a pretty good deal and we should pay it! It would represent 2% of our annual foreign aid budget.

Agreed. Bolsanaro's loving it up but Brazil is a rising power and giving them a billion to get on their good side would honestly be money well-spent from a foreign policy perspective even without environmental benefits. No sense loving up a win-win situation on principle imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

sean10mm posted:

Weren't Norse symbols appropriated already by... the original Nazis?

:confused:

Give that man a coconut

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Honestly giving countries with massive forests a "Hey thanks for the oxygen/carbon capture" would be a nice way to slow deforestation and climate change

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xand_Man posted:

Honestly giving countries with massive forests a "Hey thanks for the oxygen/carbon capture" would be a nice way to slow deforestation and climate change

Yeah it would be, but I doubt it will help in the case of giving Bolsanaro money because historically negotiating with fascists never works out.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

The only way to make people be good on a systemic level is to make being good be profitable or being bad be punishable.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

zoux posted:

It's actually a pretty good deal and we should pay it! It would represent 2% of our annual foreign aid budget.

What? No. Just...no.

Brazilian speaking here. It's not lack of cash hampering rainforest preservation. Bozo's enviromnment minister, Salles, is fully and openly in the pocket of big local farmers and illegal loggers. He has exonerated tons of forest police, both state and federal, who actually did their jobs, and 'legalized' massive amounts of endangered wood from illegal areas so it could be sold internationally. Officers of IBAMA, the preservation office, have denounced him and signed statements about his corruption and graft for two years now. He's as much on the ball on stopping the devastation as US police is in rooting out the "bad apples" in the force.

It's not an accident, it's a project, and they don't even hide it all that well. Last year they were arresting green NGO people and blaming them for starting the fires, while laughing about it on Twitter.

Give him any money and he'll slash and burn twice as much, pocket 20% of it and present ou with some fake numbers on a sheet saying he's the savior of the amazon or that Cuba is the one starting fires.

PS- Enjoy his campaign poster in which he advocated shooting wildlife, leftists, landless peasants.

Sephyr fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 21, 2021

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yeah it was like each primary candidate went calmly to their own floor and waited for Trump take them each out Enter the Dragon* style.

*Game of Death

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

What? No. Just...no.

Brazilian speaking here. It's not lack of cash hampering rainforest preservation. Bozo's enviromnment minister, Salles, is fully and openly in the pocket of big local farmers and illegal loggers. He has exonerated tons of forest police, both state and federal, who actually did their jobs, and 'legalized' massive amounts of endangered wood from illegal areas so it could be sold internationally. Officers of IBAMA, the preservation office, have denounced him and signed statements about his corruption and graft for two years now. He's as much on the ball on stopping the devastation as US police is in rooting out the "bad apples" in the force.

It's not an accident, it's a project, and they don't even hide it all that well. Last year they were arresting green NGO people and blaming them for starting the fires, while laughing about it on Twitter.

Give him any money and he'll slash and burn twice as much, pocket 20% of it and present ou with some fake numbers on a sheet saying he's the savior of the amazon or that Cuba is the one starting fires.

PS- Enjoy his campaign poster in which he advocated shooting wildlife, leftists, landless peasants.

But you see he says he won't invade anybody cut down the rainforest if we give him the Sudetenland $1 Billion.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Just because you disassociated from a White Supremacist gang doesn't mean you're no longer a white supremacist.

Wasn't there a guy who used to post in this forum a long time ago who was super upset that White Supremacists took over Norse symbols? I think he was especially upset because he had a huge rear end Norse tattoo on his arm that he might have had to get removed. I think it went back and forth for a while and it was like "Yea, it sucks but better to get the tat removed or something than having to explain to x,y,z for the millionth time how you're not a racist".

I'm not that guy but I am super upset about that as well. I'm like 40% Swedish from my Mom's side and I grew up with my grandmother feeding me pickled fish from jars and teaching me Swedish. It kind of sucks to have all this cool poo poo as part of your heritage and basically have to dumpster it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The NY Times got confirmation that Biden himself was the reason that the refugee admission promises were broken, which prompted backlash last week

https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1384909080976928779?s=20

quote:

WASHINGTON — Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken was in the Oval Office, pleading with President Biden.

In the meeting, on March 3, Mr. Blinken implored the president to end Trump-era restrictions on immigration and to allow tens of thousands of desperate refugees fleeing war, poverty and natural disasters into the United States, according to several people familiar with the exchange.

But Mr. Biden, already under intense political pressure because of the surge of migrant children at the border with Mexico, was unmoved. The attitude of the president during the meeting, according to one person to whom the conversation was later described, was, essentially: Why are you bothering me with this?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FlamingLiberal posted:

The NY Times got confirmation that Biden himself was the reason that the refugee admission promises were broken, which prompted backlash last week

Just sad. Completely idiotic move by him.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I hope that its not whitenoise posting to say gently caress Biden on that decision. I understand we are having issues with the volume of migrants but there's got to be a better way of addressing it than keeping in racist refugee caps.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

The headline makes it sound like Stephen Miller's quota is still in place. It isn't, they announced that they'll increase it and give a new number by mid-May.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
I think the backlash they got on that was totally fair, and I still have doubts about the justification, but I do think it’s worthwhile noting that they actually took the criticism seriously and backtracked pretty quickly. It was a totally unforced error, though.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

ryde posted:

I hope that its not whitenoise posting to say gently caress Biden on that decision. I understand we are having issues with the volume of migrants but there's got to be a better way of addressing it than keeping in racist refugee caps.

I mean, I don't think so, it's not whitenoise. Biden's been making a lot of surprisingly good moves and making it feel like we got off better than we could have with him, but it exists simultaneously with extremely disappointing, hideous leadership calls like this that need to get a lot of attention and compel (in a way which was never possible with R's) an about-face if possible.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

least we know if someone tells biden he is loving up bad, he will walk back on the bad poo poo and try to do the good poo poo.

goethe.cx posted:

The headline makes it sound like Stephen Miller's quota is still in place. It isn't, they announced that they'll increase it and give a new number by mid-May.

this.

generic one posted:

I think the backlash they got on that was totally fair, and I still have doubts about the justification, but I do think it’s worthwhile noting that they actually took the criticism seriously and backtracked pretty quickly. It was a totally unforced error, though.

absolutely. i am glad they listened.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

ryde posted:

I understand we are having issues with the volume of migrants...

This is accepting right-wing framing for absolutely no reason

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

give him a chance!

it's only been CURRENT_DATE minus 2020JAN21 days!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ryde posted:

I understand we are having issues with the volume of migrants

Are we?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Euphoriaphone posted:

This is accepting right-wing framing for absolutely no reason

I apologize if it is, but my understanding is that Trump dismantled our ability to process normal amounts of migrants so the current, normal levels outpace our ability to process them. I'm not saying that there's a surge, but rather the departments to handle it were gutted under a racist administration.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Sephyr posted:

What? No. Just...no.

This. Some of the "analysis" that goes on in here reads like high school sophomores doing babby's first foreign policy exercise. Sure, pay off the loving fascist strongman, surely he's dealing in good faith! Good lord Christ were some of y'all literally born yesterday?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

goethe.cx posted:

It is still in place until then

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Biden hosed up.

Everyone told him he hosed up.

He went "oh I hosed up" and changed it.

Like, I understand calling Biden out for being a regressive shithead on this initially, but fixing a gently caress up is exactly what you want in leaders.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

ryde posted:

I apologize if it is, but my understanding is that Trump dismantled our ability to process normal amounts of migrants so the current, normal levels outpace our ability to process them.

I think this is more or less true, but don't think it creates a meaningful enough way to say that biden's decision to hold literally Stephen Miller levels intact was reasonable or well-informed. Put immigration processes back to their original, much more humane intentions and it impels action to fix the intentional dismantling of the capacity. Keep the immigration processes at the new levels and it normalizes it and erodes any compulsion to fix it at all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

generic one posted:

Kind of how I feel too: unforced error but they actually listened.

Just hope they'll stop stepping on obvious landmines.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The cap coverage from the NYT was and is a complete load of poo poo and I'm going to have to write something up about circular journalism and framing effects for the media lit thread based on it. The admin did not "backtrack", there was not a final determination on the cap, it was entirely a dishonest framing of an admin decision on a different part of the process as a final order. The NYT article started with three paragraphs with zero context or responses or sources on the determination, then the entire drat body of the article got swapped out for the angry responses to the first version. They released a false framing of the determination, then promoted the reaction to that dishonest framing, then promoted the admin reaction to that reaction.

The parallel Hill coverage actually acts as a fantastic instrument to understand how they keep duping people because it was a rewrite of an AP wire article. You can read the two side-by-side and know that each word of change (starting with swapping "determination" for "order") was a deliberate editorial decision by the Hill for rageclicks.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 22, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Biden hosed up.

Like, I understand calling Biden out for being a regressive shithead on this initially, but fixing a gently caress up is exactly what you want in leaders.

I would actually like leaders that don't step on a big landmine labeled racism after they promised they would not and while everyone keeps shouting at them to not step on the big landmine.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It's quite something how Sinema's entire persona before 2018 was completely fake.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1385002340252635137

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Discendo Vox posted:

The cap coverage from the NYT was and is a complete load of poo poo and I'm going to have to write something up about circular journalism and framing effects for the media lit thread based on it. The admin did not "backtrack", there was not a final determination on the cap, it was entirely a dishonest framing of an admin decision on a different part of the process as a final order, then promoting the reaction to that dishonest framing, then promoting the admin reaction to that reaction. The NYT article started with three paragraphs with zero context or responses or sources on the determination, then the entire drat body of the article got swapped out for the angry responses to the first version.

The parallel Hill coverage actually acts as a fantastic instrument to understand how they keep duping people because it was a rewrite of an AP wire article. You can read the two side-by-side and know that each word of change (starting with swapping "determination" for "order") was a deliberate editorial decision by the Hill for rageclicks.

Biden admin put out a plan to increase the cap then let it sit for two months while aid groups begged to him to increase it as the plan promised. I'm very glad that Biden is finally planning to increase the cap but that doesn't change the fact that the cap hasn't been raised yet and people are getting screwed over in the meantime because of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Piell posted:

Biden admin put out a plan to increase the cap then let it sit for two months while aid groups begged to him to increase it. I'm very glad that Biden is finally planning to increase the cap but that doesn't change the fact that the cap hasn't been raised yet and people are getting screwed over in the meantime because of it.

There's a lightyear's difference between framing it as "hasn't raised the cap yet" and "issued final order to not raise the cap because they're secret Republicans", and that difference is getting exploited as a wedge, and it's extremely frustrating to see people falling for it, again, like they have for every other policy issue the administration hasn't instantly acted on.

The media lit thread can't come soon enough.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a lightyear's difference between framing it as "hasn't raised the cap yet" and "issued final order to not raise the cap because they're secret Republicans", and that difference is getting exploited as a wedge, and it's extremely frustrating to see people falling for it, again, like they have for every other policy issue the administration hasn't instantly acted on.

I agree that the media framing isn't accurate and has problems.

Biden not raising the cap for months was still bad, he should have raised it earlier, it would have screwed over fewer people. I'm glad he's going to raise it soon, though.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's actually good that people are being made aware of Biden's choice not to raise the cap when the rest of the administration and migrant rights activists are asking him to do so.

Also, framing it as a case of "administration hasn't instantly acted on it" is being purposefully disingenuous when it's more meaningfully a case of "Biden personally obstructing the rest of his administration from actually doing it after saying they're eager to start doing it"

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 22, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why wouldn't it if 10 Republicans agree to vote for it?

i don't think there's literally anything that 10 republicans agree on that you could get 50 senate dems to vote for

Conrad_Birdie posted:

This is one of the most removed from reality posts I’ve read in a long time.

that's bum's gimmick, he does it every election, currently the gop has lost the house, the senate, and the presidency in the elections he's been calling inevitable gop waves lol

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i don't think there's literally anything that 10 republicans agree on that you could get 50 senate dems to vote for

beating up Ted Cruz

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Owlspiracy posted:

beating up Ted Cruz

Strangely even Ted Cruz is a yea once he realizes it's going to pass

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The Angry Bum posted:

And yet he's growing a large following of supporters in New York City of all places. Him and Greg Abbott are considered to be the TRUE heroes of Covid because they didn't shut down their entire state. That's how badly DeBlasio and Cuomo messed up. The rest of the state Democrats haven't fared better either. Though the upstate parts are doing well, NYC and it's surrounding counties have been thoroughly beaten down with unnecessary restrictions by Cuomo, like he has something against the part of NY that actually votes Democratic and put him into office. No way any Democrat wins mayor of NYC in this environment and don't be surprised if the Governorship and state assemblies follow suit going solid Republican.

You can just say you don't understand population density. Much shorter that way

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1385017102747283457

well thats some good news.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Will republicans message of christian nationalism and anti-cultural marxism help them sweep hawaii, the minority-majority state that has a little single republican in the state senate? I've spoken to am extremely loud transplant from texas in this waikiki bar and democrats are doomed

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thought he already did that last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Saxophone posted:

Biden hosed up.

Except for the part where he completely ignored his own secretary of state, who initially advised him, not to mention his own campaign promises. And maybe the next gently caress-up that harms refugees or vulnerable people won't cause the same amount of public backlash, in which case he absolutely will not change his mind about it.