Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (June 22, 1918)

Goldstein, huh

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (November 20-26, 2000)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Technowolf posted:

Didn't Lindisfarne stop her research because she was afraid that employers would use it to discriminate against domesticated employees and that any "cure" for domestication would result in completely changing someone's personality (which is a whole ethical quandary in itself)?

Not saying it isn't heavy-handed or poorly written, but Lindisfarne does have some legit points for keeping the research secret.

Well at least it seems to me it should be up to people to decide if they wanna change their personality or not.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well at least it seems to me it should be up to people to decide if they wanna change their personality or not.

There's even been some discussion to this effect in the strip. Lindesfarne goes, "A domestication cure would alter the subject's personality," and Rudy protests "But what about Prozac or Ritalin?" to which the answer is "That's different, some people need those."

(They never elaborate on exactly why it's different, though.)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

That whole plot point uncomfortably reminds me of stigmas against anti-depressant medicine changing people's personality.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I mean, you don't have to talk like that, you know

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Oct. 27th, 1940

Axa

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean, you don't have to talk like that, you know

Lies!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 12, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 12, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 12, 1989)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (August 12, 2009)

Is there a joke I'm missing here or is the triclops just an art error?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

The radiation from the Three Mile Island salad dressing has caused a mutation in the diner.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bunless

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/21/01

Brenda Starr 4/28/46

Smokey Stover 9/8/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Technowolf posted:

Didn't Lindisfarne stop her research because she was afraid that employers would use it to discriminate against domesticated employees and that any "cure" for domestication would result in completely changing someone's personality (which is a whole ethical quandary in itself)?

Not saying it isn't heavy-handed or poorly written, but Lindisfarne does have some legit points for keeping the research secret.

While Lindesfarne might claim she's stopping her research because companies will use it to discriminate against domesticated animals, the actual main reason she stopped it was because when he took the cure, Rudy was no longer under Fiona's thumb and wanted to try seeing other people. It also begs the question as to whether Kell would have even married Kevin if she wasn't domesticated.

And her concerns over the cure 'changing someone's personality' is stupid, because people are only going to revert to who they truly are. The domestication gene was something the Birdlluminati injected into animals because of their idiotic plan to make animals docile and prevent them from cannibalizing each other (it sure as hell didn't work), rather than, you know, teaching them empathy and using their tech to come up with a different food source.

It's really weird that after ignoring it for an entire year, they're only just now acknowledging that placing the baby in Liz's room can disturb her sleep.

It's kind of annoying how Axa's trying lay a claim on Mark Ten after cheating on him with some random jerk, letting said jerk chase Mark away, and then leaving him to wander off to his death. Mark could do way better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

amigolupus posted:

And her concerns over the cure 'changing someone's personality' is stupid, because people are only going to revert to who they truly are. The domestication gene was something the Birdlluminati injected into animals because of their idiotic plan to make animals docile and prevent them from cannibalizing each other (it sure as hell didn't work), rather than, you know, teaching them empathy and using their tech to come up with a different food source.

Nitpick but I don't know about this who you truly are stuff. IMO there's no right version of you that exists. And if you've had the domesticaiton gene your whole life, then I think it has a good claim on being a part of who you truly are, if I cared for the concept anyway. Doesn't matter it was artificially added in. And it doesn't matter if removing it changes your personality or not either, it's still your choice. Equally if it was adding something artificial.

Anyway just removing a gene won't change your personality, your brains pattern was already built with that gene in your code, it won't "recompile" just because the gene is gone, it's gross physical structure and neural connections will remain the same and that's what determines how it works. But bad science is just so endemic to holbrook it's pointless to get worked up about it. Of course there could be a gene that codes for something that is continually generated in the brain, like a hormone or something that gets shut off and that leads to personality changes. Though domestication seems to involve rather complicated changes in behaviour such as fetch-instincts, so I think it's more than that.

quote:

It's kind of annoying how Axa's trying lay a claim on Mark Ten after cheating on him with some random jerk, letting said jerk chase Mark away, and then leaving him to wander off to his death. Mark could do way better.

Mark Ten is like a printer that carries itself around.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 22, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Thanks for all the advice on how to get back-logged strips with the code, folks! I'm not going to do it for the other day because :effort: but will do it going forward!

(Also late congrats to Dr. Wonderful!)

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "28 - Jucika and Short Supply"

W.C. papir is toilet paper.

"Jucika at the Match"

Jucika is a fair-weather fan, I see. Or a ruthlessly serious one!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nitpick but I don't know about this who you truly are stuff. IMO there's no right version of you that exists. And if you've had the domesticaiton gene your whole life, then I think it has a good claim on being a part of who you truly are, if I cared for the concept anyway. Doesn't matter it was artificially added in. And it doesn't matter if removing it changes your personality or not either, it's still your choice. Equally if it was adding something artificial.

Anyway just removing a gene won't change your personality, your brains pattern was already built with that gene in your code, it won't "recompile" just because the gene is gone, it's gross physical structure and neural connections will remain the same and that's what determines how it works. But bad science is just so endemic to holbrook it's pointless to get worked up about it. Of course there could be a gene that codes for something that is continually generated in the brain, like a hormone or something that gets shut off and that leads to personality changes. Though domestication seems to involve rather complicated changes in behaviour such as fetch-instincts, so I think it's more than that.

I like how your idea that 'living with domestication your entire life has helped define who you are' is a way stronger moral reason for why Lindesfarne should've stopped searching for a cure rather than whatever she was spouting. Of course, for every Kell and Rudy who came to terms with their domestication, there's also Vins out there hate it and had their lives ruined from other people's bigotry. Holbrook could've stumbled into a potentially interesting conflict of 'A cure is like invalidating your experiences growing up' vs 'It's still my choice whether I want a domestication cure or not', except he never puts any thought into his comics so it just ends as wasted potential.

Mark Ten is like a printer that carries itself around.

Look, Mark Ten's way better than all the rear end in a top hat boyfriends keep running into, which makes him the best character in this comic. :v:

This is the most aggressive Spud has been in the comic and it's kind of freaking me out.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #134 (1992)

Joe Camel was an anthropomorphic camel-man debuted in 1987 as the mascot for Camel cigarettes.

He was ubiquitous for awhile and was broadly seen as a sneaky attempt to sell cigarettes to kids or at least subconsciously inculcate a brand affinity with kids. A 1991 study found that among six year olds Joe Camel was about as recognizable as Mickey Mouse, and that illegal cigarette sales to minors had seen a spike in Camel brand cigarettes specifically, as Sparrow's newspaper points out.

In 1991 an attorney brought a suit against the company, citing these numbers as well as the astronomical increase in Camels bought by teenagers, leading to a legal back and forth over whether or not the camel mascot was "for" kids or not-- despite internal memos dating back to the 70s about the importance of building brand awareness in kids early.

By 1997 Joe was put out to pasture after pressure from Congress, the continuing legal battle, and just general public censure. He is survived by his only son, a regular camel who does not rock out or drive a car.

Batman (11/14/1989)

Batman is being real fickle about whether he wants to change the channel or not.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Some Guy TT posted:

In 1979, the Three Mile Island nuclear power station near Harrisburg, PA suffered a partial meltdown that permanently disabled one of the reactors. It was, and remains, the most significant nuclear accident in American history although (relatively speaking) it was a very mild incident. Local radiation exposure was roughly equivalent to a single medical X-Ray, and there was a modest release of radioactive material that couldn't even be detected in air/soil/water samples just days later. Most long-term studies have not found a significant increase in cancer or other radiation-linked diseases in areas surrounding the plant in the years since, but due to the heightened media coverage at the time it served as a flashpoint for anti-nuclear activists in the US and shorthand for the perceived dangers of nuclear power.

A lot of words to say, Tina's Groove is making a joke based in hysteria surrounding something that happened 30 years earlier.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"Sure, child, come and solve this adult crime."

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

One Swell Ebert

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

*For the Ghost Who Doesn't Use Anagrams!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise in The Begining

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

One Swell Ebert

Wee Boner Tells. :awesome:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mikl posted:

Oh you absolute fucker :mad:

It's a good racket, that church business!

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 12, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Nov. 12, 1944)

Surely the obvious solution here is for Cooper to tell Stuart that he's discovered Keith keeps a secret lounge on the roof.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 22, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (November 30, 1991)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

:sever:

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 22, 2021

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mikl posted:

There's even been some discussion to this effect in the strip. Lindesfarne goes, "A domestication cure would alter the subject's personality," and Rudy protests "But what about Prozac or Ritalin?" to which the answer is "That's different, some people need those."

(They never elaborate on exactly why it's different, though.)

Because, as far as I can tell, people with domestication can still lead normal lives (cf. half of the drat main cast), while some people with depression or other emotional/mental issues (like me) absolutely cannot function without medication.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, you know, as someone for whom psychotropic drugs, including an antidepressant, has literally made the difference between "unable to function" and "completing a degree," I am so loving tired of "but they change your personality." No, you know what? Any perceived change in me is not a change in my personality. It's the removal of symptoms that were obscuring my personality.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Because, as far as I can tell, people with domestication can still lead normal lives (cf. half of the drat main cast), while some people with depression or other emotional/mental issues (like me) absolutely cannot function without medication.

Yeah, it's a bit of a tone-deaf comparison, isn't it.

I actually don't remember if the whole "domestication" subplot is resolved in a satisfactory manner, or if it's just dropped on the wayside.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Blueberry lays down the law, or I don't quite now what emotion Blueberry's face is supposed to represent in panel 5 of the third page, but it's making me uncomfortable, or Parody is a valid surname, I know, I checked

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Comet's tail doesn't tell its direction, Little My, you idiot, you moron.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Comet

Melancholia (2011)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kennel posted:

Comet's tail doesn't tell its direction, Little My, you idiot, you moron.

Maybe it does in Moomin-World!!!!!