Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Was gonna say, I like the drive on my moogerfooger mf-102 ring mod, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it just for that. But yeah, I bet the drive in the other moogerfoogers are more useful/also come with another cool effect that works well with the drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

man i wish they never discontinued those mooger and minifoogers

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The foogers were cool, my bassist buddy had all of them and his pedalboard looked immense, especially the limited white ones. Barely needed to play anything when they were all hooked up, it was pretty much a modular synth (in cost too lol).

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I still have my MF Delay and it's worth triple what I paid for it, but I don't feel like selling yet. Maybe if it hits $500

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

A MIRACLE posted:

I've had bad quality from Arturia in the past so I'm going to say check out the m-audio oxygen line, they've been making midi controllers forever and it would be a solid choice

I got an M-Audio Oxygen Pro 49 recently, and a Novation Launchkey 37 Mk3, which was a downsize from a Launchkey Mk3 49-key (that I got first, thinking it might be all I'd need) - it turned out, I wanted a different keybed and some additional features, especially keybed aftertouch. At that point though I had really fallen in love w/ Novation's arp and chord functions, so I downsized to their compact 37-key (almost the same size as their 25-key) and got the Oxygen Pro 49. Glad I went that way, it's been great to have both of them in reach.

I had a chance to play most of the available keyboards between $200 and $650 and I felt the Oxygen Pro 49 has incredibly compelling price:performance overall, with a good feeling keybed compared to Arturia and Nektar units that I tried in the price range especially. I was surprised that the Akai MPK249 didn't feel better to play, also, in my head I had thought it was a real possibility for "the one" but that changed when I tried it in person to just being one option among others, and kind of expensive for what it seemed to offer in 2021.

I digress, though. The Oxygen Pro 49 has been easy to integrate with my DAW, Reaper, but they're working on a firmware update now to fix some other DAW issues that people experience (issues with Live, for example) and also to improve the pitch wheel tracking speed, as right now it is a bit laggy and doesn't keep up well. It has been confirmed as a software issue from M-Audio, not an underlying hardware problem. I think that should be resolved via firmware update before summer NAMM, based on talking to M-Audio tech support somewhat informally, but the issue is certainly something to keep in mind since the fix is not out yet and there is no definite or official time frame from M-Audio.

The Oxygen Pro just feels great to play on, to me. Not perfect, I mean, obviously if you keep spending money you keep getting a better feel for some $$$, and it is only semi-weighted so it isn't really trying to compete with the premium feel & action of higher tier keybeds. Keep expectations realistic though and I think you'll like it if you try it. First key press after not pressing for some time might feel a little stiff on the white keys, but I seem more sensitive to this than some Oxygen Pro owners, with some claiming not even to notice it while at least one other told me they did notice it, but like it, as it feels "like popping the seal on a new keyboard every morning" when they first start playing. Huh.

Like others that offer it in the price range, this board's aftertouch is channel, not polyphonic, but speaking as someone who has not had access to this feature on prior keyboards: I love having it so much! Having aftertouch on the keys was a really big reason I went for it in the first place, after getting and quite liking the Novation Launchkey Mk3 49-key first. The key feel is clearly better on the Oxygen Pro than the Launchkey, by the way, but for me the big thing was the Launchkey's pads have polyphonic aftertouch but its keys do not and I wanted that feature. And I feel it was indeed worth going a bit out of my initial way for, what a cool tool for expression.

Pads are fine on the Oxygen Pro. I think I like the Novation pads better even though they're smaller, I just like how they feel and the pressure that it takes to trigger them feels just right to me. But they're different, with the Oxygen Pro having stiffer feeling somewhat larger pads than the Launchkey Mk3's smaller, softer feel pads. I haven't had issues with either doing double-triggering or failing to pick up good hits.

Customization is fantastic on the Oxygen Pro. From the keyboard itself you can select and change what individual components like knobs, faders, and pads do, and control the internal settings, and it has editor software also to set it up as deeply as you need. I like how easily it switches between DAW and user modes, too, it's very well thought out.

Unless some workmanship or durability issue rears its head I can foresee myself continuing to be really tickled with these boards for some time. The aftertouch on the Oxygen Pro would have been a killer feature even if it weren't pretty loaded with other good features. I will say, of the two, Novation's Launchkey Mk3 feels like it has more comprehensive support at this time, with multiple firmware releases already including cool feature additions in the firmware updates (got a global navigation mode that works easily and a strum mode in a recent one, that's neat). And if I weren't really eager for some kind of usable aftertouch on the keys, I'd have been pretty satisfied with the Launchkey Mk3 49. But, I'd have been missing out on some features I use a lot now, too, since I don't use Ableton Live. It's class compliant and all that but you really feel the difference with a device designed to integrate into your DAW, or at least it feels that way to me comparing the two.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 20, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just out of interest, what distortion pedals do people like with their synths? I was playing some simple acidy bass line off my microfreak through a couple of mine yesterday (initially my SF300, then my Boss OD3 which sounded great), I've got a few more kicking around but so far the amount of character the OD3 adds is a winner in my book.

https://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_best_distortion_pedal.htm

Love this site. YMMV of course and it's been opined that there's more variation in the 303 production line than there is in various clones to their target 303 so who knows if you are gonna get these results... but it's been a helpful guide for me over the years.

I tend to approach synth pedals differently than acid pedals - a major breakthrough for me with the x0xb0x was that it really wanted to be played more like a bass/guitar than a keyed instrument, and so I kinda looked to choose pedals (and set signal levels etc) like that. I mean I'm still feeding MIDI from my MPC like anything else lol I'm just like trying to shred and bend notes and stuff instead of sequence and arpeggiate and riff like w/ the other monosynths I rock. So I looked for stuff that would help w/ sustain and fuzz too, and tried to follow what was popular in the guitar world (and why).

+1 on the foogers and they were a great buy for $70-100 but idk about $300. Strymon stuff is a similar splurge but, unfortunately, often worth the money, though it often shows up slightly cheaper used and people like to trade it. Boss is the hero and Behringer is evil but they're very nice clones.

If you have a lot of free time and are picky about tones, distortion circuits are a great thing to DIY.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I haven't thought about acidvoice in years!
I used to try and figure out how to translate those patterns to the synth voice on my DR202 before it died and old 303 vsts like the original ABL.
Seems like the Moog pedals were way more expensive here in the UK than the States.
I'm in no way hurting for physical distortion boxes at home between my 8 or so various pedals and my old Boss ME50 (which is hiss city though), but its been so cool seeing so many different responses!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have two MF phaser pedals and I.... really wish they had a mix knob. (And real stereo.)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Analog Heat solves most of my distortion needs. Lots of options and it's stereo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oooh, Pigments 3 is out, and it's a free update for existing users! Unusual move for Arturia to have a non-paid update for a full version number.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/pigments#en

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Trig Discipline posted:

Oooh, Pigments 3 is out, and it's a free update for existing users! Unusual move for Arturia to have a non-paid update for a full version number.

2 was a free update for existing users I believe. Either way I'm excited. Pigments is really fun.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It's an awesome update too, they added a 4th synth engine. It's on sale for new users too for $100, probably more like $70 if you own any other Arturia software/hardware (including things that were freebies).

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I got the Pigments update yesterday, it rules. I remember back in v collection 4 days Arturias synths were buggy garbage that sounded like poo poo, now I use v & fx collection allmost exclusively for my third party plugin needs and their ”software center” is the best I’ve ever used.

Still wouldn’t buy their hardware, microbrute was such a piece of poo poo.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I liked my microbrute okay but I hated the filter so I never used it

W424
Oct 21, 2010

inferis posted:

I liked my microbrute okay but I hated the filter so I never used it

I got mine for cv/gate and neither worked. Gates wouldnt trigger my envelopes and cv wasn’t nowhere near calibrated (IIRC user calibration was not recommended, would change tuning when you removed the screwdriver etc). Synth itself just sounded meh.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

W424 posted:

I got mine for cv/gate and neither worked. Gates wouldnt trigger my envelopes and cv wasn’t nowhere near calibrated (IIRC user calibration was not recommended, would change tuning when you removed the screwdriver etc). Synth itself just sounded meh.

Weird because aren’t their sequencer controllers wildly popular?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

inferis posted:

Weird because aren’t their sequencer controllers wildly popular?

Wasn’t mb their first (?) attempt at hardware so maybe they got better at it at some point?
It’s not that their controllers don’t have problems, theres a giant thread on muffwiggler on micro usb breaking in beatsep pros.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Splinter posted:

It's an awesome update too, they added a 4th synth engine. It's on sale for new users too for $100, probably more like $70 if you own any other Arturia software/hardware (including things that were freebies).

They also bundled five of their preset packs into a mega-pack called Spectrum. The five would have been $99 and change but it's $20 now. As far as I could tell the only place to buy it is from your user account page on the website though - doesn't seem to show up in the Pigments store or elsewhere on their web page.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh drat this is excellent

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

W424 posted:

Wasn’t mb their first (?) attempt at hardware so maybe they got better at it at some point?
It’s not that their controllers don’t have problems, theres a giant thread on muffwiggler on micro usb breaking in beatsep pros.

Lol that’s what happened to mine. Could only use it with midi cables and pedal power

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
micro usb is the worst, seriously. i dread the day the one in my keystep will snap

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

They also bundled five of their preset packs into a mega-pack called Spectrum. The five would have been $99 and change but it's $20 now. As far as I could tell the only place to buy it is from your user account page on the website though - doesn't seem to show up in the Pigments store or elsewhere on their web page.

Spectrum is free with new Pigments purchases. Now I need MIDI controller.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

nishi koichi posted:

micro usb is the worst, seriously. i dread the day the one in my keystep will snap

Love a port that feels like I inserted it backwards even when I do it correctly

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

inferis posted:

Love a port that feels like I inserted it backwards even when I do it correctly

micro usb 3.0 fixes this issue :smug:

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
The Keystep 37 and Microfreak both have full-sized B ports, so hopefully Arturia is learning.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Put in the Erica Drum Mixer yesterday, and now I realize the BitRazer is an odd width and 1 HP wider than the Maths. If I swap the BitRazer and Maths, move a 4 HP down (Noise Sample and Hold), then I can have my third row full and have all my empties up top. Then I have to slide all those top row modules 1 HP to the right, and maybe I'll just wait to move anything for a while so I don't spend all day every day shuffling modules.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Have you had issues with the 147-2 VCDLFO? I like mine but it's very picky about triggers which has soured me over time because I forget.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Startyde posted:

Have you had issues with the 147-2 VCDLFO? I like mine but it's very picky about triggers which has soured me over time because I forget.

I don't think I've had any problems in particular with that, but it does feel like Doepfer stuff behaves slightly differently than a lot of other Eurorack manufacturers so I could see that being part of the pickiness.

I know across the board I can have some problems with triggers, but usually I'm using the Pamela's Workout to trigger things, and it has a pulse width setting that helps a lot when other modules are picky about triggers.

When I'm triggering off modules that aren't Pamela's Workout and I'm having problems, I'll sometimes shove the trigger signal through an envelope generator to manage the signal better.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

@Arturia chat: Fwiw I started my synth journey with a microbrute and I still think it sounds amazing and feels great under the hands even next to my Grandmother. It’s a lovely synth. In general ive only been happy dealing with Arturia. I really vibe with a lot of their design philosophies.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'd like to share something for the benefit of other beginners that might be reading. If you're looking to mess around with a few different types of synths in one place, and have an android or windows device, Caustic is great. I've been fiddling with the modular in the windows version (totally free), in an attempt to better learn what the different components do, and how they can work together. It's got a pretty simple interface, and good tutorial videos on youtube, which go module by module.
I put this patch together, and if I just hold one note, it plays a repeating percussion sound, with all kinds of other craziness in the background. With a little bit of fooling around, I found I could play a simple tune to the beat just by twisting a knob! Great fun.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mad Dragon posted:

I use the Arturia Minilab MK2. It's excellent. Small, ultra solid build quality and of course gets you in on the Arturia "owner" discount cycle.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/minilab-mkii/overview

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

I'd like to share something for the benefit of other beginners that might be reading. If you're looking to mess around with a few different types of synths in one place, and have an android or windows device, Caustic is great. I've been fiddling with the modular in the windows version (totally free), in an attempt to better learn what the different components do, and how they can work together. It's got a pretty simple interface, and good tutorial videos on youtube, which go module by module.
I put this patch together, and if I just hold one note, it plays a repeating percussion sound, with all kinds of other craziness in the background. With a little bit of fooling around, I found I could play a simple tune to the beat just by twisting a knob! Great fun.

Caustic is great, I had it on a tablet when I was travelling to work regularly, I whiled away some three hour train rides with it. Still have to record those jams off the tablet someday, some turned out pretty okay.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
FWIW stuff like Minibrute 2 and Microfreak feel *worlds away from the build quality of the OG MiniBrute, etc

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't have any complaints with the build quality on my Microfreak at all really. It's at least on par with my NI controllers which are the most solid feeling ones I've ever had.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I use the Arturia Minilab MK2. It's excellent. Small, ultra solid build quality and of course gets you in on the Arturia "owner" discount cycle.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/minilab-mkii/overview

I was looking at bought that one. Only $109 on amazon, and they have the black one.

https://www.amazon.com/Arturia-MiniLab-MKII-Controller-Black/dp/B07ZTRZT7D/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Arturia&qid=1619105384&sr=8-6

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 22, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mad Dragon posted:

I saw that, and it's awesome! I got it yesterday and it seems like there's a lot of really useful stuff in there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nice! I also bought the KeyLab 61 Essential but am selling it because I still just use the Mini for everything ha.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Got Pigments for the reduced price, been futzing with it for the past 2 hours and it is indeed a great softsynth. It's kind of like they took things from all the emulations and put them into one synth, which really can work like a jack of all trades. It definitely has a very digital sound, but a good digital sound. If I had to complain about anything, it's that they put too much fx on the presets, they're all kinda drenched in reverb and delays, but they seem to do that with everything. I also wish they had more piano sounds, but I guess that's the excuse to build my own patches.

I posted a while ago asking about synths with scala support, this is definitely the best I've found. Hopefully that means next update they'll add it to the whole collection.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I just bought Pigments. So keen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
MW is finally changing their goddamn name to ModWiggler. Good.