Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

Seems like it would only be an issue if it had started. Or at least thats what the article is saying.

It also states that the clubs that remain in the ESL can sue the clubs that signed on but then abandoned the project, based on the contract terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1385188023734870018?s=21

:sickos:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1385176731657592835
:yeshaha:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Lol that this has ended up costing a lot of people their jobs

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A number of places have a translated interview that Cerefin did with a Slovenian news outlet. A couple of bits:

'I had to have double whisky so I was able to fall asleep on Sunday,' Ceferin admitted. 'Yesterday I had 3,800 messages that I wasn't able to respond to.

The other notable thing off the top of my head is he claimed that, via phone call, Boris Johnson told him he'd impose crippling Luxury Taxes on the six English ESL clubs and, "thanks to Brexit, they can greatly complicate the procedures for issuing temporary residence permits to foreign footballers in England."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Thank you Bozza Legend for getting Brexit done.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

trem_two posted:

It also states that the clubs that remain in the ESL can sue the clubs that signed on but then abandoned the project, based on the contract terms

one weird trick for barca to resolve their debt problems

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bundy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a0QAeqJLMM

Great from Corbyn, still mad this dumb as gently caress island didn't elect him

As usual, Corbyn's got the right idea here.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

vyelkin posted:

As usual, Corbyn's got the right idea here.

Aren't most of the owners of these big 6 clubs also Jewish?

:thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Collateral posted:

gently caress off

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Collateral posted:

Too soon pal, too soon

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Collateral posted:

This is a lovely joke on multiple levels m8.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1384996995295764481

"Hey that European Super League was in the news a lot last week, this seems like a good time to announce the same idea fuckwits have been touting for 20 years now"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

no, I don't think I will

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I assume there'd be no relegation in that too then or else the Rangers/Celtic presence would be somewhat short lived

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Hey that European Super League was in the news a lot last week, this seems like a good time to announce the same idea fuckwits have been touting for 20 years now"

oh gently caress the gently caress off

vyelkin posted:

no, I don't think I will

Ah, the right honourable G. Amòn

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hasn't there always been a thing that UEFA/FIFA have wanted this in order to say that if you're one league you can be one FA and reduce the home nations' power on various governing bodies? That might just be conspiracy bollocks though.

tbh I think Celtic & Rangers in the Premier League would be good and fun

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

That seems even less likely to happen that the european super league

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
What's in it for the Prem teams? 4 of them are going to be displaced and the mid table have another two relatively well funded teams to compete with. 4 fewer fixtures but two extremely long away days for most. Plus the joy of sectarianism.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I’d be pretty cool with a British Super League if it only lasted for like a year or two and was just all the teams stunting on Celtic and Rangers. I wouldn’t even be bothered if the non-old firm teams played each other. Id just be in it for the 10-0 humiliations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bundy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a0QAeqJLMM

Great from Corbyn, still mad this dumb as gently caress island didn't elect him

what an absolute lad

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

the royal league was fun because they scheduled the games to be played from november to february

im all for the esl or any other pan-european league if they force the games to be played during winter so we get more orange ball football

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think the main point is that both Rangers and Celtic would struggle considerably at first, considering the sides are roughly as strong as a midtable Championship team (at best). However with the support they have and the history they have bringing in sponsorship and commercial revenue and attracting players would be considerably easier for them over the short-to-medium term compared to your average Championship team and therefor with good leadership they would both have the potential to end up as strong top division teams. There's no getting round that there is a lot of risk on both sides though and no clean way of making sure it works - just as easily as Celtic could end challenging for a league title they could also end up struggling in League 1.

It's not worth doing unless Rangers and Celtic want to take the huge risk of being fed into the bottom of the league, which seems like a great way to embarrass the teams and potentially ruin them.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Scottish football is the best football in the world and we don't won't it tarnished with your dirt league.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I wouldn't miss Celtic and Rangers at all. League 1 can take their sectarian nonsense and be welcome to it. They've been a cancer on the Scottish game.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should just test them out in the FA Cup first. Will be shameful if they add them to the regular league and they crash and burn.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Grimson posted:

the royal league was fun because they scheduled the games to be played from november to february

im all for the esl or any other pan-european league if they force the games to be played during winter so we get more orange ball football

more of this as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ESIbkTaD8

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The next ESL should have a Seppuku clause for the chairmen if they decide to leave.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

y'all are gonna be so embarrassed when the titans of the premier league fall one by one to the unstoppable gumption of scottish football

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think rangers and celtic are happy enough being near the top of the heap in Scotland and making £££££ off old firm nonsense

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
My only Celtic-Rangers story was when I was Sheffield staying with friends for a weekend and one of them (who was from Glasgow) was unbelievably excited for a Celtic-Rangers game that he made us all hang out and watch it before going out.

It was the single worst game I've ever watched. By the end we we're all openly mocking both teams and our friend for making us watch it.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 22, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Celtic and Rangers are probably solid mid table in the PL but no higher

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Javier Tebas, the head of La Liga, has been having his say.

https://twitter.com/dermotmcorrigan/status/1385222571147333636

https://twitter.com/dermotmcorrigan/status/1385221712942354434

https://twitter.com/dermotmcorrigan/status/1385215523718316037

quote:

“The Super League is dead without the English and German teams, let’s be realistic, it’s dead,” Tebas told a virtual news conference. “They cannot create the project they want to create. After 20 years of threatening a Super League, finally this threat came true and in 48 hours it has disappeared. This isn’t a problem of revenue, these clubs need to reduce their expenses. We don’t need to keep increasing earnings so that players can have seven Ferraris instead of six,” Tebas said. “This is a problem of distribution. My position is very clear, we don’t need to increase revenues, we just need to manage expenses. We are not ruined financially and we don’t have to take any exceptional measures.”

imo he's spot on. These clubs are bringing in far more money than ever before. Whoever posted that link showing Liverpool's revenue over the past decade, it's risen like 2-3x over that period. The clubs have more than enough money to operate sustainably and even turn a profit for their owners at the same time, the problem is that that's not enough for them because they're addicted to overspending on a debt-fueled footballing arms race and turning ever-higher profits at the same time.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The New York Times just came out with this article that explains why the rollout was so badly done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/22/sports/soccer/super-league-soccer.html?smid=tw-share

Rory Smith is pretty solid (at least on Liverpool stuff) so I'm inclined to think the reporting is reliable here.

Sounds like due to Perez's big mouth while talking with the head of La Liga, the Super League plans leaked way earlier than it was meant to come out. Agnelli couldn't keep up the double agent facade and people like Perez and Joel Glazer were really adamant that they needed to push now. Others were hoping to wait until the summer and at least do more outreach and lobbying preliminary work to try to get fans on board (which would have been much, much smarter).

What's amazing is that everything looks like it was discussed on the owner level with no consultation at all with actual club staff. I guess this is what happens when you're not the person who's usually tasked with actual execution.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

He's completely right. Barca keeps on acting like their debt issue is a revenue problem when it's so clearly a spending issue. Even if they sold half the team, they[d still have enough money to place 3/4 which is exactly where they are at the moment.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
An interview with an (anti-establishment) economist about this farce: https://nograssintheclouds.substack.com/p/how-the-spectacular-comical-failure

quote:

Now why did they get this wrong? Because they're listening to the lawyers, because they're listening to the bankers. Because they're desperate. Because very rich, old white men with control rights over assets think they can do whatever they want. And the reason for that is because for the past 40 years, they have been able to do whatever the gently caress they want and no one's told them otherwise.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CyberPingu posted:

Celtic and Rangers are probably solid mid table in the PL but no higher

lol they'd struggle in the Championship

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

BWV posted:

He's completely right. Barca keeps on acting like their debt issue is a revenue problem when it's so clearly a spending issue. Even if they sold half the team, they[d still have enough money to place 3/4 which is exactly where they are at the moment.

You do get to a point where player wages need to take a cut (or at least their rate of growth really needs to slow down). I don't think that's all on the clubs because players and their agents have a role in that too.

That being said, I'm a bit conflicted because if anyone deserves to make money off of the game, it's the talent on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

imo he's spot on. These clubs are bringing in far more money than ever before. Whoever posted that link showing Liverpool's revenue over the past decade, it's risen like 2-3x over that period. The clubs have more than enough money to operate sustainably and even turn a profit for their owners at the same time, the problem is that that's not enough for them because they're addicted to overspending on a debt-fueled footballing arms race and turning ever-higher profits at the same time.

I mean cost control is the big reason they want the super league. The FT had details of the financial rules - football spending (incl wages & transfers) was to be capped at 55% of revenue which is far less than any of these teams currently spend. It's very hard to avoid the drive for massive spending in the current system.

That said the apparently completely unthinkable outcome for Real and Barca is that they just spend less and aren't as good for a while and maybe some other team wins La Liga. Which is how it's meant to work.