Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
X-Force was fine; I like how much they are developing Quentin, but the art didn't work for me.

Way of X was great; I saw the final twist coming since it's Spurrier, but overall the issue had some very good questions about Krakoa as a whole and I love that it's up to Kurt to make sense of it.

SWORD was great, though I'm not a big fan of the Arakko mutants; I'd rather we get more minor already existing characters in bigger roles (like Peepers! Magneto acting as if Peepers has always been one of his best friends will always be hilarious to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

s (like Peepers! Magneto acting as if Peepers has always been one of his best friends will always be hilarious to me).

I think like half of that is genuine affection for Peepers and half is just doing it to twist the knife into Cortez a little bit more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought it was going to be Emplate at the end of Way of X, but yeah, it telegraphed it when looking back.

The art was good enough. Nothing spectacular, but it did what it needed to do without getting in the way. Marvel House Style, basically.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

I thought it was going to be Emplate at the end of Way of X, but yeah, it telegraphed it when looking back.

The art was good enough. Nothing spectacular, but it did what it needed to do without getting in the way. Marvel House Style, basically.

Emplate has been mentioned already as helping monitoring Krakoa meals. Also if he is to show up it will be x-corps as his sister is the star

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Emplate has been mentioned already as helping monitoring Krakoa meals. Also if he is to show up it will be x-corps as his sister is the star

I figure at some point one of the villains that are now playing nice are gonna go back to being a villain and he's as good a pick as any others.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I figure at some point one of the villains that are now playing nice are gonna go back to being a villain and he's as good a pick as any others.

They can then stick him on the hellions

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nanny would probably love Emplate and make Orphan Maker jealous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
emplate was a somewhat lovely dude who was forced into being a bottom feeding parasite to survive. chowing down on mutant bone marrow not only kept him alive, it also kept him out of the agonizing alternate dimension he was continually pulled toward for a while. though the specifics of his situation haven't been shown yet, presumably on krakoa he can live like a person again.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Didn't see it mentioned here, maybe worth noting that there's a kickstarter going for a cartoony X-men board game where you can dump a giant pile of money and get a giant pile of plastic if that's your sorta thing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Emplate historically had a little mean guy by his side, D.O.A., and I'm curious if D.O.A. is allowed on Krakoa. I can't imagine how Emplate would get along without his little mean guy.

radlum
May 13, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

Didn't see it mentioned here, maybe worth noting that there's a kickstarter going for a cartoony X-men board game where you can dump a giant pile of money and get a giant pile of plastic if that's your sorta thing.

It's so much plastic for a game I will never play, but those sculpts are so cute and it's a pretty varied set of characters. It's a shame that shipping to my country would be as expensive as the game itself, so it's gonna be a pass for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

radlum posted:

It's so much plastic for a game I will never play, but those sculpts are so cute and it's a pretty varied set of characters. It's a shame that shipping to my country would be as expensive as the game itself, so it's gonna be a pass for me.

The game will be available at retail too.

Tons of them are Kickstarter exclusives though, obviously.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there's a mini of one Rob Liefeld character and it's Feral lmao wtf

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alaois posted:

there's a mini of one Rob Liefeld character and it's Feral lmao wtf

Kickstarters like this have the good characters as later stretch goals, once the initial push has started to slow down.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Real boomer energy from Mags this week, making everyone in the office sit uncomfortably as he humiliates an ex protégé performatively.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

Real boomer energy from Mags this week, making everyone in the office sit uncomfortably as he humiliates an ex protégé performatively.

Normally I'd agree, but it's loving Cortez.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

I think like half of that is genuine affection for Peepers and half is just doing it to twist the knife into Cortez a little bit more.

I mean, when he's saying this we can see (thanks to the amazing art of Valerio Schiti) Mag's exaggerated face while Xavier is sitting right beside him smirking. It's both, indeed. The guy likes Peeper, but not thaaaaat much.

The funny part is that Magneto was right to bring Peeper to the meeting. Cortez pride on his human name is a leftover from nobility, not mutant culture, and Peeper saw right through that. Pun intended.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

Is this even any good? Marvel United has a 7.6 on BGG which isn't bad? I've seen a *ton* of them going up for sale though, which is concerning, but it also seems to be people who bought the full set with all the expansions and maybe weren't too keen on spending $300 or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Is this even any good? Marvel United has a 7.6 on BGG which isn't bad? I've seen a *ton* of them going up for sale though, which is concerning, but it also seems to be people who bought the full set with all the expansions and maybe weren't too keen on spending $300 or something.

Somebody in Trad Games talked about playing Marvel United recently and said that the characters don't feel any different from each other and you're doing basically the same thing with all of them, it's just you're pushing around Howard the Duck for one and Spider-Gwen for another. Now I sort of get it because with all the characters I'm sure it would take ages getting them feeling unique but at the same time it's important to remember CMON games are more about FOMO than actually to be played. They all just tend to be nothing special when you actually hit the table.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Apparently the expansions to Marvel United, which you could only get on Kickstarter because covid torpedoed their plans for retail, significantly improve the game with the new mechanics they introduce. The X-Men core game will have that new stuff baseline.

They also upped the unique abilities per character from 3 to 4 or something like that making it so you can use those more often over the generic cards.

(I haven't played the base game myself. I just bought it on Amazon this week to try it out but haven't had a chance yet.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 22, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Saoshyant posted:

The funny part is that Magneto was right to bring Peeper to the meeting. Cortez pride on his human name is a leftover from nobility, not mutant culture, and Peeper saw right through that. Pun intended.
Eh, the need to have a special mutant name, whether in addition to your original name or in place of it, is honestly a little sus. At best it's a charming element of their growing culture but, at worst, it feeds into the exact sort of cultish elitism that Way of X was rebuking.

Cortez's pride in his colonizing heritage is not super great, but this weird idea that Krakoa is somehow above that sort of thing, somehow, magically, is also not super great. What, because they're all mutants? Is Cortez not a mutant? Are the Cortezes of Krakoa somehow not a part of the great mutant nation?

Most importantly, it's not exactly the sort of epic pwn that the writing seems to think it is, considering that a bunch of people in that room don't have special mutant call signs anyway. Xavier? Brand? Voght? Emma and Shaw? White Queen and Black King are job titles, not personal monikers.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 22, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

it's important to remember CMON games are more about FOMO than actually to be played. They all just tend to be nothing special when you actually hit the table.

I don't know anything about the company, so this is useful info. I definitely give a big side-eye to games where they hype the number of minis rather than the actual game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, the need to have a special mutant name, whether in addition to your original name or in place of it, is honestly a little sus. At best it's a charming element of their growing culture but, at worst, it feeds into the exact sort of cultish elitism that Way of X was rebuking.

Most importantly, it's not exactly the sort of epic pwn that the writing seems to think it is, considering that a bunch of people in that room don't have special mutant call signs anyway. Xavier? Brand? Voght? Emma and Shaw? White Queen and Black King are job titles, not personal monikers.

Xavier is Professor X.

White Queen used to be just her Hellfire title but it's also 'officially' her mutant code name and has been used many times when she's not associated with the Hellfire Club for the time being.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Right yes the special mutant identity of the founder of the mutant nation and the world's preeminent telepath: Professor (a human position) X (literally his human surname, from the human alphabet)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Honestly he could have said "It's an Acolyte thing, my mutant identify is 'Acolyte,' not the petty vanity of an individual superhero name," since so many of his Avalon homies also, as a vicissitude of 90s comics tics, also just used their last names:

Anne-Marie Cortez
Marco Delgado
Nance Winters
Rusty Collins (!!!)
I think during her time with them Frenzy just went by Cargill but I'm not sure
Isaac Javitz
Katu Kath
Harlan, Sven, and Eric Kleinstock
Seamus Mellencamp
Francisco Milan
Suvik Senyaka
Carmella Unuscione
Amelia Voght
Kamal el Alaqui (who just went by his first name even!)

There's also like, Cecilia Reyes who IIRC specifically did not want a "superhero name" because she wanted to be seen as a doctor, not a superhero. Which I think is eminently reasonable!

This also makes me want to get into mutants like Toad or the Blob-- did they name themselves as a badge of mutant pride, or were they named instead by people trying to turn their powers into cruel jokes (I actually do not know the answer to this)? If they wanted to just be Mortimer and Fred would Peepers be cool with that too? Or if they wanted to rebrand as, idk, Iguana and Bulwark or something? I'm intrigued by this idea brought up about "code-names" and identity but I want it to be digged into further.

BrianWilly posted:

Right yes the special mutant identity of the founder of the mutant nation and the world's preeminent telepath: Professor (a human position) X (literally his human surname, from the human alphabet)

Charles of YOSPOS

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 22, 2021

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

BrianWilly posted:

I think it's really much more about the way that Cortez justified it that became the problematic part. Like, Brand would probably just shrug and not care about the why.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

That's a fair reading!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

It doesn't matter what you think, that's his mutant codename and has been for 60 years.

You can admit when you're wrong. it's healthy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

Honestly he could have said "It's an Acolyte thing, my mutant identify is 'Acolyte,' not the petty vanity of an individual superhero name," since so many of his Avalon homies also, as a vicissitude of 90s comics tics, also just used their last names:

Unrelated but I wonder how many of the Acolytes followed the 90's trend of having oddly specialized and indeed hyper-specific powers. Of course they were eventually led by Exodus who has the other end of the spectrum which boiled down to 'is really powerful but mostly just flies and does power blasts.

quote:

I think during her time with them Frenzy just went by Cargill but I'm not sure

As I recall you're right. She's definitely called 'Cargill' a few places.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't matter what you think, that's his mutant codename and has been for 60 years.

You can admit when you're wrong. it's healthy.
If we're defining a mutant's special name as literally just their name then sure, that's definitely what people call Xavier. You really got me!...?

My initial point was that it's a weird thing to single out Cortez for when it applies to other characters in the room as well, and other posters rightly pointed out that it was the way he was singled out that matters more. Thanks for making a harmless conversation weird though, this recurring tendency for you to have to have the last pedantic word on every little detail is like you having a personality, I guess. :buddy:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Speak posted:

I think it's really much more about the way that Cortez justified it that became the problematic part.

:emptyquote:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, if this is the tactic you're going with, then none of them have mutant names since all their names use a human alphabet and human words. The greater point here is their mutant names are supposed to be something they chose for themselves, rather than the human names they were given. Blame Xavier for lack of creativity, not for using human things in his mutant name.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Unrelated but I wonder how many of the Acolytes followed the 90's trend of having oddly specialized and indeed hyper-specific powers. Of course they were eventually led by Exodus who has the other end of the spectrum which boiled down to 'is really powerful but mostly just flies and does power blasts.

I always thought they were neat since Fatal Attractions hit right when I was getting into that "I have the attention span to follow long storylines" age and I liked the sidescrolling Capcom beat-em-up where you go to Avalon, so I'll go ahead and check. I have the vague memory that most of their powers were "beams" or "strong and weird looking" but I did always like that Unuscione's power was kind of a fun variation on her dad's. Aside from her and pre-existing mutants who wound up joining, like Tempo and Colossus:

Chrome could transmute stuff with... with "quantum transmutation" and apparently flew by turning the air right under him into rocket fuel.
Kamal had the same basic powers as Absorbing Man which seems pretty potent for a guy who has barely ever shown up or done anything.
Cortez' sister fwiw had empathy powers-- no ability to change how others felt, she could just read the room really well and had a laser gun, which makes me wonder what she's up to currently, it seems like she'd be good on diplomatic detail.

Katu Kath ruled, he was a grizzled old Inuit guy who had an extremely complicated power-set ("living satellite dish") which was famously rarely ever shown on panel as kind of a running gag. He was in a really cool arc in the Cable solo series in which Cable teams up with some Acolytes to fight Omega Red, and which really fleshed out a bunch of people who had previously just been names and faces. If I was writing an X comic I would bring him back in a heartbeat.

Gargouille was basically a squished down human, she went from an average height to a miniaturized but very dense size and also... turned into a gargoyle (grey skin, horns, wings).

Rem-Ram was also cool. He had "subliminal telepathy" which meant he could sneak in on peoples' dreams at night and plant post-hypnotic suggestions.

Rakkus was kind of a lovely 90s Malice. He was a sentient virus who could infect animals and people and "turn them into" himself, himself being a stupid looking orange monster with whatever adaptive features the moment called for. Sort of a neat concept, wasted in Bob Harras Avengers comics.

Milan had iirc a very limited technopathy which allowed him to talk to computers and project his thoughts and memories onto TV screens. I mainly remember him from the aforementioned Cable arc where he's worried and neurotic because his powers are useless for hunting Omega Red and he wants to go home.

Mellencamp was a dumb looking green monster guy but I want to just mention that Multiple Man exploded him by putting his arm down his mouth and making a dupe, which is a scene that has been burned into my memory since 1993.

Senyaka had a fun design but was yet another "vampiric bio-whips" guy. I feel like he had a problem where he got killed a lot but in a way that subsequent writers forgot about, leading to a goofy Lobdell bit where if you touch his corpse he comes back to life. I also primarily remember him as a Cable guy-- both from the 90s solo series and Cable & Deadpool.

Decay was a young guy who looked like an old man unless he drained energy from other organic things. I mention him because he also had a very classic old man haircut.

I think most of the others were yeah, just beams and forcefields and being huge.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

How Wonderful! posted:

This also makes me want to get into mutants like Toad or the Blob-- did they name themselves as a badge of mutant pride, or were they named instead by people trying to turn their powers into cruel jokes (I actually do not know the answer to this)? If they wanted to just be Mortimer and Fred would Peepers be cool with that too? Or if they wanted to rebrand as, idk, Iguana and Bulwark or something? I'm intrigued by this idea brought up about "code-names" and identity but I want it to be digged into further.

IIRC, the Blob was given his name by the circus from his first appearance. I believe he kept it because he loving loved being the Blob, which is why he took the loss of his powers so hard after House of M (that and being left with deflated skin).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

Acolytes Stuff

You forgot to mention Venkat Katregadda, aka VINDALOO, who is introduced in the Magneto War storyline with this caption:

Alan Davis introduces a South Asian character code-named VINDALOO whose power is to shoot hot liquid. It's not good!

Over the last 6 weeks, my post-Claremont X-Event readings have gotten into the stories that I have no history with at all. Post-Onslaught was a complete unknown to me and... it's a very mixed bag. Operation Zero Tolerance starts out with a bang but drags-the-gently caress-on and Bastion is a terrible character.

I think Hunt for Xavier was good- its basic story (that Cerebro turns sentient and goes nuts) pre-dates Whedon's extremely similar Danger story and I'm surprised I didn't hear more about the similarities when the Whedon book came out. Kelly and Seagle looked to be doing interesting things and it was a fun mix of new and old characters and the art (Adam Kubert and Lenil-Yu) was solid. But their work only ran a little more than a year before they brought Alan Davis in to plot both books and immediately got into the Magneto War, which was BAD. Remember Astra, the person who created Joseph? No? That's because she apparently only makes like 3 more appearances in the next 20ish years after she was retconned into being a founding member of Magneto's BOEM... where it is implied he abuses her! Again: the post-Claremont treatment of Magneto was loving criminal.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 22, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, if this is the tactic you're going with, then none of them have mutant names since all their names use a human alphabet and human words. The greater point here is their mutant names are supposed to be something they chose for themselves, rather than the human names they were given. Blame Xavier for lack of creativity, not for using human things in his mutant name.

Someone also has to talk to Jubilee.

Her parents obviously set her up to end up with that nickname, and that ain't gonna fly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, if this is the tactic you're going with, then none of them have mutant names since all their names use a human alphabet and human words.

Well, except for Apocalypse.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

While I enjoyed Way of X, I usually love Blink but her characterization seemed a little off. But maybe I'm wrong - is this the same Blink that was in the Exiles books, and by extension from the Age of Apocalypse timeline? Or is this a resurrection of the original 616 Blink? Because if it's the former (my possibly wrong assumption), is she just not aware that alternate reality versions might not get resurrected? I don't know, it just didn't make a ton of sense for her to be so rah-rah about the resurrection process.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It *should* be the 616 Blink resurrected. I don't see why they would be resurrecting mutants from alternate realities, and AoA/Exiles Blink hasn't spent a lot of time in 616 in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
yeah I believe that's 616 Blink, who was originally resurrected in... it was Necrosha, wasn't it? I tried to forget most of that storyline