Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If I wanted to jump back into Arkham Horror whole hog, as someone who only has the first mythos cycle, do I need to pick up the investigator starter decks if I'm buying everything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

PJOmega posted:

If I wanted to jump back into Arkham Horror whole hog, as someone who only has the first mythos cycle, do I need to pick up the investigator starter decks if I'm buying everything else?

If you're jumping in whole hog and buying everything else, I don't see why you wouldn't buy the investigator starter decks too since they have new cards and new investigators. I'm not enough of an AH pro to know if there are any meta-defining cards in the decks, but if you only care about the main cycles and none of the investigators jump out at you then they're absolutely skippable.

(Sorry, that's kind of a non-answer)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

If you're jumping in whole hog and buying everything else, I don't see why you wouldn't buy the investigator starter decks too since they have new cards and new investigators. I'm not enough of an AH pro to know if there are any meta-defining cards in the decks, but if you only care about the main cycles and none of the investigators jump out at you then they're absolutely skippable.

(Sorry, that's kind of a non-answer)

That's a solid answer, thank you. Wasn't sure if they had cards unique to them or if they were akin to Netrunner World Champion decks.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They have some of the best unique’s of recent years, at least buy for the colors you’re interested in.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PJOmega posted:

As a couple other people mentioned, the investigator decks do have unique cards in them (outside of the investigators). And a lot of the cards they added are extremely good, including some I'd say are staples in their respective factions. That said, you can definitely get by without them if you're having difficulties finding them or just want to wait.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m rerunning the campaign with a new team, Scarlet Witch Leadership and Wasp Justice.

It’s really making it obvious how badly they whiffed on the final 2 scenarios. Drang is pretty straightforward but you gotta manage those counters as that damage is sneaky. Collector is also a challenge to make sure that you aren’t getting out a ton of stuff that will hit the discard (it was rough to manage my Scarlet Witch). The third Collector fight is so much fun as you give yourself a bit of time to build up and then go all out thwarting and getting in huge damage turns to flip him at the right time and move the schemes forward. It’s a lot of fun, I love it.

I had to stop so didn’t get to Nebula but I already just looked at that deck again and ugh I’m already thinking about all the drat surge cards. It would be less painful if the cards that fished for techniques said to put them into play so it wouldn’t trigger the surge on them but no it’s revealed so surge away. I think it’s pretty telling that there’s even “strategy guides” online on how to beat them. (Hint Ronan’s is just “use tough and allies a lot. Wow sounds fun). There’s still a ton of discussion about difficulty. I think if the next box doesn’t course correct they are going to lose a lot of players if a bunch of content is super unfun.

Star-Lords cards leaked, but from a Spanish streamer so it’s all hastily translated. What’s there seems kind of neat though. I’m more interested in Gamora. I hope both launch the same day.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nebula was fine with Renee hawk, because he gives a damage when he takes the damage. I just waited until retaliate was out and gave it everything I had.

Ronin is completely unfair, we tried it with a deck that steamrolled almost every other adventure and lost twice. There’s just too much that surges, too many cards, too many bonus activation effects. Maybe with a continual stun lock. But it’s hard to have one person there any other persons wordingfor regularly 7or eight a turn, which is what’s required.

I am Magine it’s hard to manage balance when you have 15 released characters and a variation of four at the min XP and at the highest, probably around 30.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I beat Nebula on campaign pretty decently with my Wasp/Scarlet Witch combo. So onto to Ronan I went and.....I got utterly crushed. I don’t know what they were thinking with the campaign on this one. “Hey, Ronan needs 2 extra side schemes and if you had the power stone the last game he should get a second attack against you. That sounds fun and easy for a standard campaign, right?”

Like, no. Not at all. Standard should be at a difficulty level where any hero combination should be doable. If I need a drat strategy guide and specialty decks in order to win. It’s tuned too tough.

I’m trying out homeruling right now. First on the block is getting rid of the campaign side scheme and the extra encounter card. I still give him the extra side scheme that does the +2 threat, and all the Badoon headhunter stuff. We will see how that goes.

What a poo poo show Ronan is. Surging is not a fun mechanic. It is fine if it happens here and there, but it should not be a core mechanic of your villain design. I really want to see the next box ASAP to see how it looks like they’re doing the villains.

Edit: Yup. Lost a hero after I decided to cancel the wrong card and then hit 4 surges in a row which put out 2 minions and he had two attachments and then he got to attack.

Gotta houserule in a “villain is only allowed to surge once per round”

Might also just take out Badoon headhunter as well.

Or well. I might just stop playing against Ronan altogether and just say the campaign ends with Nebula. This is a black hole of unfun crap. I have no idea what they were thinking.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 17, 2021

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
I have only become aware of the existence of card games like this in 2021 during a recent barnes and noble trip. This is fascinating, and a great idea because I always hated booster packs.

Which games are the best to pick up right now? I'm interested in some level in most of the properties that FFG makes.

Some of these can be played one-player, right?

I saw there was a DC-based one with a ton of content, but it wasnt made by FFG- is that one any good?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

John Romero posted:

Which games are the best to pick up right now? I'm interested in some level in most of the properties that FFG makes.

The FFG co-op ones (LotR, Arkham, Marvel) all can be.

I'd advise against LotR. It's great (especially if you like building decks) but availability is spotty and is only going to get worse.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The FFG co-op ones (LotR, Arkham, Marvel) all can be.

I'd advise against LotR. It's great (especially if you like building decks) but availability is spotty and is only going to get worse.

Tolkien family loving with the license again?

I noticed they had a bunch of expansions but no starters.

lmao this is such a cool idea no wonder there havent been any big ccgs outside of Magic, Pokemon and Yugioh in years. What was the last one? VS System or WoW card game?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

John Romero posted:

I have only become aware of the existence of card games like this in 2021 during a recent barnes and noble trip. This is fascinating, and a great idea because I always hated booster packs.

I saw there was a DC-based one with a ton of content, but it wasnt made by FFG- is that one any good?

idk what the DC thing is, never heard of that----but it depends on what you like.

Marvel Champions is centered around a straight up fight between you and a villain, managing a scheme counting down and punching the enemy while building up your character upgrades. There's no narrative structure to it so it's more a fighting game than anything. That being said there are a fuckload of heroes and scenarios to choose from and endlessly modulate, so you can really experiment and have a blast. You can play solo but usually this mean "two handed" with 2 heroes out.

Arkham Horror is more RPG focused and longform, with things called "cycles" wherein you get a box set starter and then like 6 mythos packs to build upon a narrative. You're not only potentially fighting monsters but also uncovering clues and making decisions on where to go and how to progress---it's possible to avoid fighting stuff with the right character deck and tools. You can also play with 1 to 4 investigators here like Champions.
Arkham is an amazing experience but it's not pick up and play like Champions---it's more akin to DnD with the way you build a story and can fail a scenario but still move on to the next one, albeit with caveats to what your character faces or does.

One other thing you need to know is that FF Games are VERY, very bad at restocking Arkham, meaning when mythos packs go out of stock, you won't see them again for like 5 months. Marvel Champions is the exact opposite.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

John Romero posted:

The game is around 10 years old and has run through most of the logical content. I think FFG has gone through some internal changes too.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The game is around 10 years old and has run through most of the logical content. I think FFG has gone through some internal changes too.

Man good on them for resisting the urge that many other gaming companies would have to rerelease stuff as "remastered" sets

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

John Romero posted:

Maybe the DC one you're thinking of is the DC Comics Deck-Building Game which is a competitive game closer to Ascension. It's okay, but not considered an LCG, just a game series with expansions. Deckbuilding games like that start you off with a basic deck of like 10 cards which you upgrade during the individual game and then you're done.

The better version of that which is almost fully cooperative (the only minor competitive part is comparing kill points at the end of the game) is Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, but even that's been eclipsed by Marvel Champions, which is the true LCG that we're all talking about in this thread.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

The Black Stones posted:

I’m trying out homeruling right now. First on the block is getting rid of the campaign side scheme and the extra encounter card. I still give him the extra side scheme that does the +2 threat, and all the Badoon headhunter stuff. We will see how that goes.

What a poo poo show Ronan is. Surging is not a fun mechanic. It is fine if it happens here and there, but it should not be a core mechanic of your villain design. I really want to see the next box ASAP to see how it looks like they’re doing the villains.

Edit: Yup. Lost a hero after I decided to cancel the wrong card and then hit 4 surges in a row which put out 2 minions and he had two attachments and then he got to attack.
I've started just dropping all the campaign stuff after Nebula and fighting Ronan in "non-campaign" mode, while removing all the market stuff from my decks. Cruised through with Dr. Strange + Ant-Man (obviously, they're busted, but it felt good), and Ms Marvel + Captain Marvel. He's still the hardest fight in the game by a LOT, but it's not horrible. Just got to pray that you don't get surged to death due to poor design.

Target Acquired is awesome tech no matter what deck you're using, too. Canceling a boost ability in these villain decks is fantastic.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation

JazzFlight posted:

Maybe the DC one you're thinking of is the DC Comics Deck-Building Game which is a competitive game closer to Ascension. It's okay, but not considered an LCG, just a game series with expansions. Deckbuilding games like that start you off with a basic deck of like 10 cards which you upgrade during the individual game and then you're done.

The better version of that which is almost fully cooperative (the only minor competitive part is comparing kill points at the end of the game) is Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, but even that's been eclipsed by Marvel Champions, which is the true LCG that we're all talking about in this thread.

Thats the one. hahaha i thought deck building meant you built the deck prior

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
My FF LCG experience:

LotR: I bought in super heavily to this game and then sold it. At some point they decided that making turbo hard fights was the order of the day and it was just not what I wanted.

Arkham horror: On paper I think this one is the best. It certainly has the coolest concepts and the campaign mode is super cool. The problem with this one is that out of the 15-20 games of this we played I think we only ever managed to get through 1 of them without the game crashing to a halt over some rules debacle. Either not doing something right or not knowing how to do the things the game was asking us to do.

Marvel: This one has ended up being my preference. After the first couple of games we haven't had any rules hiccups anywhere near the level of arkham and while I think arkham is broadly more interesting mechanically, I think the cards as resources mechanic in marvel is a lot cooler. Based on recent posts it sounds like they're angling towards making poo poo too hard though and I don't like the sound of it. The campaigns they've added also aren't nearly as cool as arkham's either. Still, I'd start with, and generally recommend this one over the others.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

John Romero posted:

I noticed they had a bunch of expansions but no starters.

lmao this is such a cool idea no wonder there havent been any big ccgs outside of Magic, Pokemon and Yugioh in years. What was the last one? VS System or WoW card game?

It's not the Tolkien family from what I understand. It's more just the general shittiness of FFG's logistics and the fact that it's also legit hard keeping back stock for tons of different packs. LotR is a great game though, and I think of the LCGs it's got the most robust deckbuilding. As for my preference, I think Arkham is the best game overall-it's campaign system is the best and allows your deck to basically grow similar to an RPG character, while also providing a nice narrative experience. LotR I do think has more depth in initial deckbuilding overall, but I didn't find campaign play nearly as good. And while I think Marvel Champions is fine, most of my playgroup found the art so bad that we've basically avoided it (except someone who bought it to play with his kid).

And actually there's been a few big CCGs recently, there's actually kinda a mini boom going on. Which is a shame because FFG has basically abandoned their competitive (player vs. player) LCGs.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 22, 2021

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation

alansmithee posted:

It's not the Tolkien family from what I understand. It's more just the general shittiness of FFG's logistics and the fact that it's also legit hard keeping back stock for tons of different packs. LotR is a great game though, and I think of the LCGs it's got the most robust deckbuilding. As for my preference, I think Arkham is the best game overall-it's campaign system is the best and allows your deck to basically grow similar to an RPG character, while also providing a nice narrative experience. LotR I do think has more depth in initial deckbuilding overall, but I didn't find campaign play nearly as good. And while I think Marvel Champions is fine, most of my playgroup found the art so bad that we've basically avoided it (except someone who bought it to play with his kid).

And actually there's been a few big CCGs recently, there's actually kinda a mini boom going on. Which is a shame because FFG has basically abandoned their competitive (player vs. player) LCGs.

I'm gonna pick up Marvel and Arkham. PvP is great but playing a single player card game at night with a beer and peace and quiet sounds lovely.

wild about CCGs. sorry about being off topic but what is booming right now? Magic is always magic and I know pokemon is going wild because of youtube

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

John Romero posted:

I'm gonna pick up Marvel and Arkham. PvP is great but playing a single player card game at night with a beer and peace and quiet sounds lovely.

wild about CCGs. sorry about being off topic but what is booming right now? Magic is always magic and I know pokemon is going wild because of youtube

Flesh and Blood is the big one. Although I think prices are largely just part of the general collectible bubble, it's really taken off and a lot of the larger card game stores have really picked it up and been pushing it. I've not watched too much gameplay but it seems decent enough.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So a thing the one friend that plays Champions with me and I had been playing wrong was that we were talking our hero actions one after the one when it's supposed to be a "my turn/your turn" sort of deal. I get why that's important and all and makes certain cards significantly weaker/stronger but after bringing Marvel Champions to a game night tonight and teaching the game to a couple new players it really made for some downtime and reduced the interaction between the players by quite a bit.

Since I'm unlikely to ever take Champions out of my house again, I think I'm just going to keep playing it with back and forth actions since we didn't have any issues with quarterbacking and I really despise games that have players gardening.

I'm probably a little more salty too because while waiting for another group I ended up getting sucked into a game of Minecraft the board game which was the same kind of low interaction euro-y poo poo that I pushes me towards card games in the first place.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 22, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

John Romero posted:

if you wanna start with stuff in addition to the Marvel/Arkham core boxes, I recommend:

-- the Green Goblin scenario pack + Dr. Strange / Thor / Black Widow for Marvel, which gives you a nice variety of different heroes and the best scenario pack. If you have to get just one hero pick Strange, who has really fun and unique mechanics.

-- Dream Eaters or Path To Carcosa cycle for Arkham. Dream Eaters is some very cool and trippy Inception poo poo while Carcosa has some of the best scenarios in the game. The bad thing here is Carcosa is still not restocked in most places, but Dream Eaters last I checked was still available in entirety on the FF store.
The one-shot "War of the Outer Gods" standalone scenario is also really amazing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ugh, I’m just outright making a houserule that a card can’t surge more than once. Nebula is just a slog of poo poo because everything surges and it just wears you down. If you don’t get an engine going from the word go you just watch yourself slowly start to lose. Get a round where you have a bad hand? Good luck.

It sucks so much because the first 3 scenarios are so much fun. They’re a blast to play and then you get to Nebula and they’re like “uhhhhh. Everything surges. Time to clock out” I desperately want to hear their reasoning on how they thought this was any fun.

Edit: also the rogue vessel combined with Nebula’s scenario is just awful. “Oh we made a scenario that relies on you constantly using the Milano for threat. Here’s a card that also requires you to kneel the Milano or you take constant damage. Have fun. Also the card surges! Bye.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 23, 2021

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
I houseruled that Rogue Vessel and Fanaticism (from Ronan) don't surge. I have no idea what they were thinking giving them surge, but they're absolutely brutal cards all on their own, it makes zero sense for them to surge in addition.

I'm a dirty cheater!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, that’s a good idea. Feels like they slapped surge on some cards without thinking how the card is already pretty rough. dealing 1 damage on its own is tough and has a pretty high cost to get rid of it. So why does it get to surge as well? It’s not that bad a card if you get it during something like Drang where his deck isn’t bad. With Nebula where a lot of cards can be super dangerous? Super rough.

Maybe they just didn’t play test the other scenarios as much or the people play testing those ones were more experienced.

Edit: So I did another match with Nebula and I said screw it a little ways in, surge is limited to once per round. Wow did the game pace all of the sudden improve. I wasn’t constantly just dealing with 4-5 cards being slapped down a turn. It probably ended up being too easy but *shrug*

I think it speaks to the poor design that that’s how nebula is supposed to function that “just throw lots of cards at that player” is her core mechanic.

Trying to find a good balance doing Campaign. Maybe just not including the extra Badoon cards at Nebula except for the Badoon Headhunter (because all his cards have surge) means I can maybe keep a unlimited surge but then just small restrictions like rogue vessel.

It just kills me that the Collector fights are so fun, and then it transitions into a steaming pile.

Haha, out of curiosity I checked out Reddit for the game, and someone summed up the Nebula ship mechanic perfectly

“It’s not a choice you have, it’s a tax you pay to fight her”

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 23, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So after giving up against Ronan again (I didn’t do any campaign stuff, made it easier but still annoying and I knew I was going to lose and realized i kept forgetting extra boosts for for Power Stone) here’s ultimately my breakdown of what went horribly horribly wrong with the last 2 scenarios.

1) surging and boost effects. Complaints about surging has been gone over extensively, so I’ll address the later. Those two villains have a ton of cards where there’s usually a good chance you’ll hit a lovely boost effect. Something will come into play, or it will give villain more cards or something. The balance of the game I feel gets ruined because sometimes when you’re willing to eat a hit but now all these extra cards come out and they essentially act like an encounter? Just adds more you have to deal with. Completely slows the game down and is easily the worst thing about those 2 scenarios.

2) They upped the values without upping others. They started doing it where you can get +2 per person on a scheme, not necessarily bad in itself, but then you need a little bit more wiggle room and the values are the same as when cards were only going by 1 per person. Ronan’s scheme going up by 4 but popping at 14 means you have only 3 turns before it will activate. Having a low initial threshold is terrible though, as that’s when you’re trying to build your engine and need to flip more for hand size and recovery. You’re more than likely going to have it pop and then good luck because he now gets power stone AND you also can’t thwart main scheme until you get rid of it. Good thing he has an encounter card where he gets tough and it surges.

3) Expectation: Have the Milano! A fun new card that can help you pay for things to help deal with slightly powerful villains.

Reality: Have the Milano. It’s a villain tax to stop the villain from doing things and if you use it for that resource it was a trap. Kneel it to pay for thwart or mechanic every turn or bad things happen. Sometimes we force kneel it for you.

4) They upped the “player spends resources for things” hard. Spend 3 resources of the same type to discard a card? That’s neat, but I’m also discarding for Collector cards, I’m discarding for Nebula, I’m discarding to stop Ronan from doing things. I’M ALWAYS DISCARDING. Did the hero card draws get buffed and I didn’t notice it? Ronan and Nebula’s mechanics should have just involved kneeling the Milano, and only paying for EXTRA effects. Example: Kneel Milano, stop a when revealed treachery. Pay a resource to stop an encounter all together (stops surge, or fanaticism). Now this makes sense for the cost involved especially after forcing an additional cost on me.

5) Cards are doing too many things. Why does discarding Ronan’s weapon deal 2 damage AND an encounter card? It should be one or the other. Why does fanaticism surge AND do the extra attack, get rid of tough, and overkill?

Like, I miss simple like Klaw. “Take 2 damage, villain heals 2” okay, that hurts me and helps him, but nothing I can’t come back from. Every single card seems like they designed it with the idea in mind “oh yeah, no way someone will come back from this!”

——

One of these on its own would have meant a kinda crappy scenario but one that you could still eke out wins. All these issues combined just made these scenarios a poo poo sandwich. I really want to see them reveal the next expansion especially if it’s an all villain one like some are speculating.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
We beat the first three villains our first try on standard but got wrecked by Nebula. We are at the point where we don't remember the last time expert Ultron seriously challenged us and I'm OK with some villains being a super hard challenge or in the case of Ronin a question of how long you can last.

Groot and Rocket are really fun and the first 3 scenarios were great. For me the box was worth it, even if Ronin's primary purpose will be humbling our decks after we've taken them through the other villains.

Why can't a box set have a wide range of difficulty?

Edit: Expert Crossbones is my personal nemesis and is harder than anything else for me prior to this release. Neither Collector felt as challenging but still had new mechanics that changed up how we played. Really enjoyed both scenarios. Other people think Crossbones is easy, it probably comes down to playstyle.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 24, 2021

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I normally don't play solo but I ran through a couple of the Red Skull box baddies over the last two nights to get a feel for them before tomorrow when my friend comes and we take on the campaign.

I beat Crossbones with Justice Black Widow, Absorbing Man with Protection Captain Marvel and Taskmaster in both normal and expert with Leadership She-Hulk. Then I watched "Dale the Casual Gamer" play through against Red Skull using Captain America. So other than Zola I have a pretty good idea what to expect in the Campaign.

Debating using the "A" team in Strange and Antman or going for some riskier ones like Iron Man or Hulk.

Anyone have any tips for the basic Hydra campaign?

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 24, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

KPC_Mammon posted:

We beat the first three villains our first try on standard but got wrecked by Nebula. We are at the point where we don't remember the last time expert Ultron seriously challenged us and I'm OK with some villains being a super hard challenge or in the case of Ronin a question of how long you can last

Why can't a box set have a wide range of difficulty?

That’s what expert is for. If you want a challenge, set your game to expert and take it on. I don’t play games to have the villain deck always win. Where’s the fun in that, what does the FFG designers get by having the villain always win? I play games to have fun. I accept that if I play poorly or have some bad luck I will not always win my games, but I should be able to win the majority of them on a standard setting.

It’s also that Nebula isn’t necessarily hard because she has some difficult mechanic, as I outlined above, they pretty much just shoved in a whole bunch of mechanics that do nothing to punish you by virtue of playing the game. I don’t find having to discard a resource from my hand every turn a “challenge” it’s lazy game design masquerading as difficulty because they simply just cut off the amount of resources and options you have.

Someone on BGG has a thread where people put up their wins and losses into a spreadsheet. Ronan is sitting at a whopping 28% win rate. On standard. No other villain comes close. There’s “this is slightly difficult” and “We hosed up the balance incredibly on a difficulty setting meant for casual play” and Ronan falls on the second side of it. You might enjoy that, but I’m failing to see why the game needs to cater to a crowd claiming for more difficulty as there’s a crowd who also enjoyed the difficulty just the way it is. They set a standard for difficulty and now they need to decide if they want to stick with it or continue to try appease those who want some challenge because playing to both crowds will 100% piss off people who find themselves with content they can never beat.

Edit: I’ll say I never have had an issue with Crossbones but I also don’t play expert. So my take on how difficult he is will be useless there.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 24, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

I normally don't play solo but I ran through a couple of the Red Skull box baddies over the last two nights to get a feel for them before tomorrow when my friend comes and we take on the campaign.

I beat Crossbones with Justice Black Widow, Absorbing Man with Protection Captain Marvel and Taskmaster in both normal and expert with Leadership She-Hulk. Then I watched "Dale the Casual Gamer" play through against Red Skull using Captain America. So other than Zola I have a pretty good idea what to expect in the Campaign.

Debating using the "A" team in Strange and Antman or going for some riskier ones like Iron Man or Hulk.

Anyone have any tips for the basic Hydra campaign?

Hydra isn’t too difficult that you have to break out A game heroes, but I’m of the opinion that Hulk sucks the big one and is challenging just because he’s badly designed. Most hero combinations should do okay. The campaign cards have huge advantages if you use those.

Zola has a lot of minions and Red Skull relies a lot on thwarting so just make sure you have a somewhat balanced team. Honestly shouldn’t have too much trouble until you hit Zola and Red Skull but you might only need a couple tries.

It’s not until you hit Galaxy’s Most Wanted that I would have more in depth strategies for you (and even those fall apart at Ronan).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Hydra isn’t too difficult that you have to break out A game heroes, but I’m of the opinion that Hulk sucks the big one and is challenging just because he’s badly designed. Most hero combinations should do okay. The campaign cards have huge advantages if you use those.

Zola has a lot of minions and Red Skull relies a lot on thwarting so just make sure you have a somewhat balanced team. Honestly shouldn’t have too much trouble until you hit Zola and Red Skull but you might only need a couple tries.

It’s not until you hit Galaxy’s Most Wanted that I would have more in depth strategies for you (and even those fall apart at Ronan).

We went in with Wasp and Ant-Man and washed out on Absorbing Man. Wasp just kind of sucked. One of the best things about Ant-Man is getting his helmet because that healing is very useful. Wasp's abilities just weren't very helpful most of the time, while Ant-Man is always using his. Ant-Man's cards were all fairly nice and useful while Wasps were really not particularly helpful when she was forced to defend most of the time.

We had some bad RNG at points (back to back Madame Hydra flips) but overall Ant-Man was holding his own while Wasp was doing 1-2 things a turn. Both Ant-Man and Wasp have fairly weak resource cards but it was more a problem for Wasp because her actual tech and supports were not extremely useful. With Absorbing Man basically forcing you to defend, I was dropping my hand for a single ally every other turn and not doing much else.

I know Wasp is fairly low rated so I was hoping Ant-Man's high rated status and the ability to use the team up cards would offset it but they didn't. I'm sure a good deck builder could probably make Wasp work alright but that's beyond my abilities to compensate for right now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Wasp can be good, but is definitely a lot hard to handle. What aspect are you using? I have her as Justice so she can take easy advantage of the 1 cost card that removes 3 threat when you flip and spend a science to make it 4. Having the card that generates a science resource means your constantly dealing with threat pretty easy. She’s easily a top contender for me when it comes to dealing with threat.

When you have her helmet and the +1 THW Justice card she can thwart for 4 in giant form and if you use her form change card to go from tiny to big it can make it 6 and that’s among any amount of schemes.

I wish her helmet worked like Ant-Mans though, the bonus health and card draw is way way better than some better baseline stats.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I beat all of the villains that were released at the time on expert while teamed up with Justice Ant-Man with this deck while actually feeling like I was doing really good work: https://marvelcdb.com/deck/view/95434

Prior to this build I tried protection because of her high innate defense and it sucked. It was mostly just babysitting Leadership Ant-Man while he powered up.

I like aggression with her since most of her power tied up in really powerful attack events, which Martial Prowess makes a lot easier to play. The cheap stream of allies also lets her make better use of her above average statline.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 25, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Someone made a variant wasp that focuses on tiny/regular instead of giant/tiny, it’s a lot of fun. Definitely flipping every turn but for different reasons than Ant-man.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Wasp can be good, but is definitely a lot hard to handle. What aspect are you using? I have her as Justice so she can take easy advantage of the 1 cost card that removes 3 threat when you flip and spend a science to make it 4. Having the card that generates a science resource means your constantly dealing with threat pretty easy. She’s easily a top contender for me when it comes to dealing with threat.

When you have her helmet and the +1 THW Justice card she can thwart for 4 in giant form and if you use her form change card to go from tiny to big it can make it 6 and that’s among any amount of schemes.

I wish her helmet worked like Ant-Mans though, the bonus health and card draw is way way better than some better baseline stats.

I was using Leadership which was admittedly a mistake. I thought having some of the cheaper Avengers allies around to ready off with Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and combo off Goliath for big damage as well, would be good but the deck ended up being a bit expensive and although I did get a pretty good turn off with Goliath+EMH+Rapid Response it overall didn't feel like I had enough options on my turns because I was exhausted so much from defending. Deck came out great against Crossbones but against Absorbing Man the pitfalls really showed through, upgrade cards coming at the wrong times, not getting to use her abilities to any great effect, and being totally hampered by the 4 hand size in a deck with out a lot of 0-1 drops without having a resource like the Quinjet or Helicarrier out early was just extremely slow. I felt Moxie was going to synergize better with her but it really didn't.

To be fair to our play we also let him have his wrecking ball for way too many turns, but when you hit a hand of 4 cards and everything costs 2 of more, dropping 2 cards to get rid of weapons means that's all you do on that turn and it's just brutal.

I saw 1 pinpoint strike which took out Madame Hydra only for her to get brought back out the next phase on my friend's side of the board. Biosynthetic wings and Red Room Training both fell on a turn when I had to drop Nick Fury to help clear off a priority side-plot because the main was at a critical mass so I needed to get rid of the side plot and still have someone to face taken the damage. There was never a single turn where splitting her damage and thwart would have been helpful because by the end we were basically in constant defense mode waiting for Pinpoint/Giant Stomp to show up.

Overall though I just didn't find her fun to play as there weren't enough enemies/side schemes to make her tiny form ability useful and when I was in giant form I was mostly there for defense. I guess I felt like compared to a lot of the other heroes her abilities are more situational and I didn't really like that even if she did have great stats.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I totally see why someone wouldn’t like Wasp, she’s definitely a mixed bag. That being said as well, 4 hand size? She’s 5 on both sides.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation

DLC Inc posted:

if you wanna start with stuff in addition to the Marvel/Arkham core boxes, I recommend:

-- the Green Goblin scenario pack + Dr. Strange / Thor / Black Widow for Marvel, which gives you a nice variety of different heroes and the best scenario pack. If you have to get just one hero pick Strange, who has really fun and unique mechanics.

-- Dream Eaters or Path To Carcosa cycle for Arkham. Dream Eaters is some very cool and trippy Inception poo poo while Carcosa has some of the best scenarios in the game. The bad thing here is Carcosa is still not restocked in most places, but Dream Eaters last I checked was still available in entirety on the FF store.
The one-shot "War of the Outer Gods" standalone scenario is also really amazing.

I just ordered the Arkham core set. I will try a few games and then probably get the carcosa stuff. Thanks!

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
We’ve left all the campaign stuff alone for now and just played one-offs. Are the decks that came with Rise of Red Skull good for playing the standard campaign? Feels like we’d crush it if we went in with custom decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Customize your decks but bring in the expert variance, like taking obligations after the first scenario. I don’t know why you would play five times with someone else’s deck.