Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tamba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7jHpKhhqaY

e: and the more recent versions can also mass connect belts and splitters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmkfqByx0i0

Dear god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A Moose posted:

So, random question, how far away does something have to be before you use a truck to move it vs 1 really long conveyor belt? Or how much of it do you have to use?

Trucks have never worked great for me. The pathfinding is not great, you have to keep them fueled, etc. Just about the only advantage to using trucks over a super-long belt is that it's easier to increase the movement rate with trucks: just add more trucks to the same path. Whereas if you have to do a belt upgrade, you gotta run along the whole length of the belt, manually upgrading each one.

I usually do long belts until I hit trains. Trains are much better because they run on a tiny amount of electricity.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Trucks would be better if they used less fuel or could hold more, the things just run out of fuel at the most random times if you don't have both ends supplying coal or whatever. Also, being able to save routes into some sort of selectable database.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't mind placing a bunch of stuff manually. It's relaxing to me.

Now laying out power poles on the other hand... I really wish wired foundations would be added that serve as power connections to any machines placed on them. The power pole situation is just busiwork that makes things ugly. There is no clever problem-solving being done, it's just a matter of plopping a hundred poles around the factory floor. And later slightly fewer poles.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't mind placing a bunch of stuff manually. It's relaxing to me.

Now laying out power poles on the other hand... I really wish wired foundations would be added that serve as power connections to any machines placed on them. The power pole situation is just busiwork that makes things ugly. There is no clever problem-solving being done, it's just a matter of plopping a hundred poles around the factory floor. And later slightly fewer poles.

Yeah I agree, this makes me think the foundations being powered (or having a powered foundation option that consumes concrete and copper wire/cables) would really tidy things up. Make it slightly more economical to use power poles and cables so between buildings it makes sense to run poles on top of foundations but have special floor/walls with embedded power and putting a pole or socket on them adds them to a circuit.

Also got me thinking a heat view but for electrical flow/consumption would be a neat vision overlay to see where power is going etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Power would be way less lovely if buildings could daisy chain power lines. I get that they do it to justify the upgraded power poles, but it's not a good enough reason IMO.

I know there's a mod that does this, it was mentioned a page or two ago, but the mod has a chance to delete your entire factory when the game updates. So it should be part of the base game.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not sure what I think about the blueprints thing. Sometimes setting up a factory is tedious, but I spent most of last night redoing the iron/steel production that was the first stuff I set up (it's not important, but it's right next to my main base so I had to look at the spaghetti mess ALL THE TIME...)

I figured out that a large part of the satisfaction I get from this game is trying to plan out factories and getting everything running smoothly. I realized I could eliminate iron ingots and get everything from steel, so I figured out the max amount of coal I could get (belt-limited), then scaled my iron ore to match...

I can get more steel by making iron ingots first then using an alternate recipe to turn them into steel... okay how many smelters do I need for that much iron... ~12 per miner non overclocked... okay so that's two floors of 12... i can do 2 rows of 6, 3 rows of 4, let's do 2 floors of 4 rows of 3... then I need foundries...and then figure out the belting for everything.... Also, if I can download blueprints off the internet, that'd likely just show me how poo poo I am at laying things out in this game compared to other people.

I didn't finish the setup, and I don't know what I'm going to do with all the ingots, but it was very satisfying to figure it all out and plan the layout. I think for me blueprints would be sort of like having cheat codes on in something like Skyrim - fun for awhile but I'd get bored much faster.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

boxen posted:

I'm not sure what I think about the blueprints thing. Sometimes setting up a factory is tedious, but I spent most of last night redoing the iron/steel production that was the first stuff I set up (it's not important, but it's right next to my main base so I had to look at the spaghetti mess ALL THE TIME...)

I figured out that a large part of the satisfaction I get from this game is trying to plan out factories and getting everything running smoothly. I realized I could eliminate iron ingots and get everything from steel, so I figured out the max amount of coal I could get (belt-limited), then scaled my iron ore to match...

I can get more steel by making iron ingots first then using an alternate recipe to turn them into steel... okay how many smelters do I need for that much iron... ~12 per miner non overclocked... okay so that's two floors of 12... i can do 2 rows of 6, 3 rows of 4, let's do 2 floors of 4 rows of 3... then I need foundries...and then figure out the belting for everything.... Also, if I can download blueprints off the internet, that'd likely just show me how poo poo I am at laying things out in this game compared to other people.

I didn't finish the setup, and I don't know what I'm going to do with all the ingots, but it was very satisfying to figure it all out and plan the layout. I think for me blueprints would be sort of like having cheat codes on in something like Skyrim - fun for awhile but I'd get bored much faster.

Same. I don't think I've ever torn down a factory to move it and actually set it up the same way at the destination. I always find better ways to do things or better ways to lay things out.

It seems like blueprints would stifle that for me, like locking in whatever blueprint I make as the best way to do whatever it is.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If stuff like the auto-generated graphs from Satisfactory Tools counts, I suppose it's a combination of the grind being inherently satisfying and the challenge of taking those graphs and working out the logistics of making them a functional building.

Mayveena posted:

Are you talking about the production planners or the blueprints? The production planners are just a mathematical expression, right?

Yeah I was only talking about the blueprint things nukelear linked. The full diagrams of what to build, where to place things, belts connections, etc.

A production planner doesn't do anything but the ratio math & tell you how many buildings are needed to produce X output. You have to make the decisions to set it up (what materials, which alt recipes to use), and make all the decisions about how to implement it. For the higher-tier factories that glosses over a ton of design and complexity.

Personally I use the satisfactorytools planner at the start of projects to play around with the different possible recipes and graphs. But then I transpose the plan to a notebook app before building, and keep notes about anything important for the future (excess supply, potential OC, why this crazy conveyor junction is doing what it does, etc).

Bobulus posted:

Trucks have never worked great for me. The pathfinding is not great, you have to keep them fueled, etc. Just about the only advantage to using trucks over a super-long belt is that it's easier to increase the movement rate with trucks: just add more trucks to the same path. Whereas if you have to do a belt upgrade, you gotta run along the whole length of the belt, manually upgrading each one.

Their pathfinding is non-existent: all they do is drive a straight line between the arrow points you leave behind while driving. So if you drive a tight curve around an obstacle, they'll try to cut directly through it. You have to be generous with the corners.

But the real hidden secret about truck AI is that the autopilot actually drives faster than you can. Try setting up a drag race vs an autopilot tractor some time, they go way faster. So the most critical thing when recording a path is to moderate your speed on anything that's not straight and level. If you hit a bump and get a little bit of air, they'll send it and roll over.

Anyways I use some tractors and trucks for mid-length transport because I hate the appearance of super-long conveyors across the landscape, but they're limited. The fuel supply is an issue depending on map location, and handling multiple item types is tricky. Trains are the real deal.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I always find better ways to do things or better ways to lay things out.

Hell, I can't even set up two theoretically-identical production floors the same way even if I'm trying to.

Oh well. My factories are BESPOKE. Geography clipping through the sides and floor isn't because I didn't plan the layout well enough, it's a STYLISTIC CHOICE.

boxen fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2021

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

boxen posted:

Hell, I can't even set up two theoretically-identical production floors the same way even if I'm trying to.

Oh well. My factories are BESPOKE. Geography clipping through the sides and floor isn't because I didn't plan the layout well enough, it's a STYLISTIC CHOICE.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If your pipes aren't a jumbled clipping mess that are impossible to trace then are you really even playing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chaos is more fun, especially if you share screenshots because people love to marvel at them.

Factorio needed blueprints because the endgame basically revolves around stamping poo poo across the world to keep your numbers going up but Satisfactory is scaled down sufficiently that you can brute force everything without going completely insane.

(except for refineries, they're too drat big and I hate placing them)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

These last few posts have made me feel a lot better about plugging poo poo in until it (mostly) works.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I hope the Let's Game it Out guy revisits his map updated to update 4 and has a fleet of drones blotting out the sun :haw:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The solution my brother and I have is "put in more". Efficiency? Pbbbttt. Whats that, backstock of iron ore? More smelters. Smelters are stopping cause they aren't getting enough ore? Overclock the mine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

explosivo posted:

These last few posts have made me feel a lot better about plugging poo poo in until it (mostly) works.

I was climbing spires to get to slugs last night and gazed in awe at my latest monstrosity. The walls unfortunately cover most of it up but I was in a house cleaning one night. It's four stories of poo poo getting done.

Loading the save in the calculator is a work of art:

I should really load up the old save my wife and I played together, it was our first start and it's so hideous it's amazing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

I've set up a warehouse for basic materials, ingots, plastics and so on. The idea is the train loops around all the different resource nodes that process the ores/oil into these materials and picks it all up, then brings it here for processing. Then trucks are used to bring these materials to different factories that make other stuff.

I'm doing this again, but reworking it. Instead of a warehouse of just holding raw materials, it'll hold all combinations of parts. Each node cluster will be its own factory that extracts, smelts and builds stuff then it gets ferried out to this warehouse and put into its own container, with surplus being sent to The Sink. I'm putting out a belt that'll show what container holds what. This is mostly to have a one stop shop for parts to build stuff (and milestone stuff I guess), I'll also build some belts that'll run elevator stuff out and towards the elevator.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks incredible. I saw someone on a stream doing that thing where the tiny belt pokes out to show which items are inside and that pretty much blew my goddamn mind. I'm not really in a position that I can easily set up a "mall" anymore so I just hop around to all the various crates I have set up as overflows and man that has made it so much easier to find what I need.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
If this game had blueprints, I'd probably only use them to reuse some modular part of a single factory. I tend to build things with smaller repeatable components and always, always mess them up in frustratingly subtle ways that I only notice well into a build. Like one time I had a the next floor either one foundation too high or too low (can't remember) and I just had to call it a night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rarbatrol posted:

If this game had blueprints, I'd probably only use them to reuse some modular part of a single factory. I tend to build things with smaller repeatable components and always, always mess them up in frustratingly subtle ways that I only notice well into a build. Like one time I had a the next floor either one foundation too high or too low (can't remember) and I just had to call it a night.

Or how about when placing a row of mergers for assemblers to dump products into and you click one when it's aligned with the wrong cyan line or off by one?

:argh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Back side of that row of containers. Stuff will be coming in at the far end on the belts on the right side. The belts comes towards me with smart splitters set to put the proper item into the proper container to the right and any overflow onto the belts on the left. When the line reaches me it goes up a lift and then heads back away from me for the containers up top. Then anything that isn't put into a container joins the belts on the left which all feeds into a sink. There is some space between the containers pictured and another set of containers so I can make splitters for whatever product I need to shuttle out to the elevator.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Looks like the new mini-update made the orange arrows on buildings more visible, which was really the worst problem with the new update.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’m loving the new preview build/dismantle effects, much better than the old flickering mess

I can see which way the glass beam is facing now!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Getting to grips on the overflow method is such a load off. Not having to worry about tearing down and rebuilding a line or trying to evenly load balance odd inputs that don't quite divide by each other makes it so much less stressful.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
:siren: :siren: :siren: Smart has been updated! :siren: :siren: :siren:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Klyith posted:

Thank you for your service

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

Sweeeeeet, playin 2nite!!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I played when the game launched and I restarted 2 weeks ago on Experimental with update 4 during my week off. I played close to 50 hours on my first save and decided to restart when I couldn't muster the willpower to resume where I was. Tier 7 and 8 were open but the milestones not completed. I had too much stuff to automate from the previous Tiers/milestones, my main base was a spaghetti mess after 2 rebuilds and I was bummed.

I restarted a new save trying to do more bases like right now I started a floating floor for Nobelisk and Motors near a new spot with some coal, iron, quartz and copper. I'll be able to automate some stuff there. This new save has like 20 hours on it but I took my time and decided to automated more stuff before rushing the Tiers like I did before with too much manual crafting to unlock a milestone I really wanted. I just opened up Tier 5 and 6 but I wanted to finish automating the rest of the parts that I have left.

I checked some of Nilaus videos on youtube and I don't know if it's because I suck rear end and/or I'm not a smart person but I can't follow what he's doing. He's too fast and I really don't understand how he can just plop down buildings/splitters/mergers/lifts/belts and everything fits nicely. I keep destroying 30 times each setup I'm currently building because I can't align or something ends up being too close and I can't attach a belt, etc... I mean I'm at a 70 hours total or so between those 2 saves and I still struggle. The motor factory to get one assembler at 100% was very painful and took me 1h30. The number of times I have to reposition mergers/splitter/lifts/belts or start something and discover I can't reach my third assembler's second input, etc...

Do you guys have some building resources I could look at? Maybe I'm just missing something or maybe 70h is still not enough to be very good?

Also, this save I wanted to try to have all bases linked together on the same foundation grid so I need to make floating paths of foundations for many hundreds of meters and since you can't go diagonally the path ends up looking like the snake on those old snake games where you can't touch your tail. Bunch of right angles everywhere. How do you guys manage that? On my first save I didn't do it and bringing a path to a new base meant that I couldn't connect them together.

I don't really like exploring because of the monsters because I end up going through so much health that I run out of them and end up dying before I can make my way back. Like I said, I'm about to start on the Tier 5-6 milestones and I only unlocked a few alternate recipes. Should I explore for more drives right now, should I use them right away or when I have more stuff unlocked because from what I can understand, it only unlocks alternate recipes of basic ones you know. I just want to maximize my exploring for slugs/hard drives to do it a minimum number of times.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 22, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got my aluminum plant going last night and was able to get the Hover Pack upgrade and holy poo poo this thing is incredible :stare:

I wish there was a way to "charge" it so I could use it off the grid but my god not having to build platforms any time I want to build to the front of something but can't reach it is worth it alone. Also good for sitting back and :okpos: while you marvel at your creation

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Drives will only unlock alternates for recipes you have at the moment. The Awesome Shop has angled, upside down, and double ramp pieces. Once you are using oil, you can sink excess output with smart splitters.

Exploration can get tedious when pods are on top of towers with gas and spitters. But if you want to stop monsters from re spawning put down power poles.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hang on a sec, you can intersect train lines? I tried this and thought it didn't work but maybe I was doing it wrong. Can they transfer rails?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

Hang on a sec, you can intersect train lines? I tried this and thought it didn't work but maybe I was doing it wrong. Can they transfer rails?

Yeah, select rail and aim it at a spot where 2 existing rail segments join. You snap the new rail onto either side of the join and it makes the intersection with a little flag for choosing direction automatically.

And yes, the train AI chooses which way to go through the intersection all by itself. You only have to jump out and set the flag when driving manually. This is why everyone says trains are amazing.

However, there are caveats:
1. Best practice is to make the left-hand rail of a junction first. If you do right-hand first, the flag will be opposite to what the actual setting is. (Doesn't matter for AI though, so if you never drive yourself it's not a big deal.)
2. You can make a direct 'X' junction by joining 2 rails at a single connection point, but it gives the AI problems. Best avoided by putting a minimum-length rail between them.
3. You can't make a junction directly connected to a train platform.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 22, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo, I thought each train needed its own dedicated track but it sounds way better than that. Thank you, I'll have to mess around with it more tonight.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Hemish posted:

Do you guys have some building resources I could look at? Maybe I'm just missing something or maybe 70h is still not enough to be very good?

Also, this save I wanted to try to have all bases linked together on the same foundation grid so I need to make floating paths of foundations for many hundreds of meters and since you can't go diagonally the path ends up looking like the snake on those old snake games where you can't touch your tail. Bunch of right angles everywhere. How do you guys manage that? On my first save I didn't do it and bringing a path to a new base meant that I couldn't connect them together.

I don't really like exploring because of the monsters because I end up going through so much health that I run out of them and end up dying before I can make my way back. Like I said, I'm about to start on the Tier 5-6 milestones and I only unlocked a few alternate recipes. Should I explore for more drives right now, should I use them right away or when I have more stuff unlocked because from what I can understand, it only unlocks alternate recipes of basic ones you know. I just want to maximize my exploring for slugs/hard drives to do it a minimum number of times.

For building the big thing is you get used to how many foundations you need for certain things and often can "cheat" by using the lines on the foundations. For example, constructors are the same width as a foundation, so if I start my first one centered on a foundation and plop down a whole line, I can then make sure all the splitters I'm plopping down behind em are centered on the constructors just by making sure they're centered on the foundation. There's also mods people use to copy-paste recipes for faster setup and to lay foundations/etc by area.

I don't worry about having everything on "one grid." I get the impulse but it's ok to have a bendy bit in a conveyor belt between buildings.

There's more hdds than alt recipes, and with the tools you eventually get access to, getting em all is pretty reasonable. Generally I'd use em as fast as I got em cuz some good alt recipes are pretty far down a chain of seemingly poo poo ones (turbofuel is a big one) and thus you gotta plug away. If the monsters are giving you poo poo, hit em with cars, throw explosives at em, remember you can play this poo poo like fortnite and build stuff during the fight. There's no refs; fight dirty.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I could probably reduce the amount of tracks, but when I started I didn't know they could share/ didn't clip. Took a bunch of tries to get some of the junctions to look nice. I am under utilizing trains as my two lines only move one freight container each. I saw a really nice screenshot the other day of someone who worked trains really well into the environment. Wish I was more creative.

I am trying to use more trucks for short things but they hate the terrain of that area. Also some of the slopes are too steep.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Trucks loving suck to deal with and I skip them entirely

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I never bothered using trucks except for an early form of transportation, I always heard the AI was so finnicky that it wasn't worth the trouble. Trains I guess are better because they can haul a ton and have to stay on the track? :shrug:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

They definitely require more time to troubleshoot why it flipped over like a turtle then used all its fuel. But once you work out the routes and smooth any bumpy terrain they seem okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I only use trucks If I'm transporting a single resource a long distance down even terrain. Which to be honest sound exactly like what it's supposed to be used for. The one exception is the Truck that delivers all of the rubber, plastic and aluminium ingots from my oil area to my main base (which is some legacy weirdness I never bothered to change).